Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit-second referendum 10:23 - Feb 9 with 10417 viewsjohnlangy

I'd forgotten all about this until it was brought up again on Facebook. This is a headlining story from the Daily Mirror from 16th May 2016. I'll cut and paste a few lines.
EXCLUSIVE: Nigel Farage wants second referendum if Remain campaign scrapes narrow win
The Ukip leader speaks to the Mirror’s Associate Editor Kevin Maguire and warns that a '52-48 result would be unfinished business'

Nigel Farage warns today he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin next month.

The Ukip leader said a small defeat for his leave camp would be “unfinished business” and predicted pressure would grow for a re-run of the 23 June ballot.

It's easy to forget these things.

This makes the article in the FT a few days ago about the possibility of a second ref in 2026 a perfectly reasonable one especially when all the polls now show that a large majority of people now believe Brexit was a mistake.

And if that majority which is now around the 58/60% level became say 65% or more over the next few years how can it not be a sensible thing to do.
Brexit-second referendum on 16:46 - Feb 24 with 1101 viewsKeithHaynes

Brexit-second referendum on 17:51 - Feb 23 by Gwyn737

That makes sense, thank you.

Does that then mean you can’t return for 90 days (as is the norm) or does the extension eat into that allowance?

You can come and go as much as you like here. Many now spread their ninety days across the year which gives them 180. The year starts on the day you travel for the first time.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Brexit-second referendum on 19:43 - Feb 24 with 1047 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Brexit-second referendum on 16:46 - Feb 24 by KeithHaynes

You can come and go as much as you like here. Many now spread their ninety days across the year which gives them 180. The year starts on the day you travel for the first time.

It’s the same all over Europe. Despite the lies largely peddled by the likes of Femi and the rest of the odious #fbpe brigade on Twitter EU countries are still open and welcome to brits. Many of them depend on it.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Brexit-second referendum on 19:59 - Feb 24 with 1042 viewsGwyn737

Brexit-second referendum on 19:43 - Feb 24 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

It’s the same all over Europe. Despite the lies largely peddled by the likes of Femi and the rest of the odious #fbpe brigade on Twitter EU countries are still open and welcome to brits. Many of them depend on it.

Tbf it’s not a lie to say we no longer have freedom to move a work. We don’t.

90 days in 180 may be plenty for many but not all.
Brexit-second referendum on 20:01 - Feb 24 with 1039 viewsGwyn737

Brexit-second referendum on 16:46 - Feb 24 by KeithHaynes

So essentially what we had before has been halved?
Brexit-second referendum on 22:13 - Feb 24 with 997 viewsmajorraglan

Brexit-second referendum on 20:01 - Feb 24 by Gwyn737

So essentially what we had before has been halved?

Yes, the maximum amount of time a Brit can now spend in the EU without a visa to is 90 days in every 180 days, if we want to work in the EU we need a visa. When we were part of the EU we had the right to work and reside 365 days per annum.

As things stand duration of stay is calculated manually, but the EU have invested in a computer system which will work everything out automatically. We’ll also have to provide biometrics.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2023 22:16]
Brexit-second referendum on 12:56 - Feb 25 with 936 viewsGwyn737

Brexit-second referendum on 22:13 - Feb 24 by majorraglan

Yes, the maximum amount of time a Brit can now spend in the EU without a visa to is 90 days in every 180 days, if we want to work in the EU we need a visa. When we were part of the EU we had the right to work and reside 365 days per annum.

As things stand duration of stay is calculated manually, but the EU have invested in a computer system which will work everything out automatically. We’ll also have to provide biometrics.
[Post edited 24 Feb 2023 22:16]

That all makes sense now.

The presentation than nothing has changed since Brexit and travel is free and easy and there’s no need to keep going on about it is simply not true.

It’s not just travel and study either, there are always threads on here with posters keen to retire living away or travel on retirement. That’s been severely restricted.

Hopefully when we inevitably make closer ties it’ll be made easier.
Brexit-second referendum on 14:51 - Feb 25 with 926 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Brexit-second referendum on 19:59 - Feb 24 by Gwyn737

Tbf it’s not a lie to say we no longer have freedom to move a work. We don’t.

90 days in 180 may be plenty for many but not all.

The oft trotted out line that we no longer have the right to work, live and travel is clearly a lie when hundreds of thousands if not millions are doing just that all the time.

Brexit-second referendum on 14:55 - Feb 25 with 924 viewsGwyn737

Brexit-second referendum on 14:51 - Feb 25 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

The oft trotted out line that we no longer have the right to work, live and travel is clearly a lie when hundreds of thousands if not millions are doing just that all the time.

For half the time we could do it or after jumping through hoops, yes.
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit-second referendum on 07:37 - Feb 26 with 875 viewsmajorraglan

Brexit-second referendum on 12:56 - Feb 25 by Gwyn737

That all makes sense now.

The presentation than nothing has changed since Brexit and travel is free and easy and there’s no need to keep going on about it is simply not true.

It’s not just travel and study either, there are always threads on here with posters keen to retire living away or travel on retirement. That’s been severely restricted.

Hopefully when we inevitably make closer ties it’ll be made easier.

Retiring to Spain is still possible, but it’s much more difficult. Most people thinking of retiring to Spain will now have to show a monthly income of over €2260 and about €565 for subsequent dependants, so for a couple we’re looking at a monthly income of around £2500 per month.

On top of the minimum income requirement there is also a requirement for private health insurance.
Brexit-second referendum on 08:14 - Feb 26 with 867 viewsTogg

Brexit-second referendum on 07:37 - Feb 26 by majorraglan

Retiring to Spain is still possible, but it’s much more difficult. Most people thinking of retiring to Spain will now have to show a monthly income of over €2260 and about €565 for subsequent dependants, so for a couple we’re looking at a monthly income of around £2500 per month.

On top of the minimum income requirement there is also a requirement for private health insurance.

Yes I think that's roundabout correct. You can have the amount as savings to. Private health care until you are 67 and I believe you can, along with your spouse use the Spanish health system. The Spanish health system is rated about 7 th in the world. It was top 3 at one time.
The visa we will look at (about 3 years time) will be Non Lucrative Visa. Which means you can't work, so basically you are retired. You can apply for a Golden Visa if you have 500,000 Euros to spend on property. To work as a youngster now you would need to be sponsored by the employer/company. The authorities will want to know why said company can't employ a Spanish resident first.
It's very difficult from outside the EU to work in Spain.
Autonomos (self employed) will have to prove they have a valid business plan. Digital Visas have recently been announced.
The NLV will take about 5 years to fully complete.
So freedom of movement is not what it was. I read last year that Spanish would like to get this changed as obviously it's not so good for their economy. Also they are unhappy that there could be a 7 euro tourist tax for everyone from a non Shengen country coming into an EU country.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2023 14:03]
Brexit-second referendum on 08:32 - Feb 26 with 856 viewsGwyn737

Brexit-second referendum on 08:14 - Feb 26 by Togg

Yes I think that's roundabout correct. You can have the amount as savings to. Private health care until you are 67 and I believe you can, along with your spouse use the Spanish health system. The Spanish health system is rated about 7 th in the world. It was top 3 at one time.
The visa we will look at (about 3 years time) will be Non Lucrative Visa. Which means you can't work, so basically you are retired. You can apply for a Golden Visa if you have 500,000 Euros to spend on property. To work as a youngster now you would need to be sponsored by the employer/company. The authorities will want to know why said company can't employ a Spanish resident first.
It's very difficult from outside the EU to work in Spain.
Autonomos (self employed) will have to prove they have a valid business plan. Digital Visas have recently been announced.
The NLV will take about 5 years to fully complete.
So freedom of movement is not what it was. I read last year that Spanish would like to get this changed as obviously it's not so good for their economy. Also they are unhappy that there could be a 7 euro tourist tax for everyone from a non Shengen country coming into an EU country.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2023 14:03]

You can see why younger remain voters still get annoyed with older Brexit voters.

The older generation (in the main) have hung on to the good bits of the deal while the youngsters have had their wants hampered.
Brexit-second referendum on 09:29 - Feb 26 with 847 viewsTogg

Brexit-second referendum on 08:32 - Feb 26 by Gwyn737

You can see why younger remain voters still get annoyed with older Brexit voters.

The older generation (in the main) have hung on to the good bits of the deal while the youngsters have had their wants hampered.

Many older voters didn't realise the implications of the freedom of movement. Many retired people known as 'Swallows' spend the winter months in the warmer climate. They could come and go as they wished. This is no longer as easy.
Brexit-second referendum on 09:56 - Feb 26 with 830 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Brexit-second referendum on 07:37 - Feb 26 by majorraglan

Sounds an incredibly sensible policy to me.

Brexit-second referendum on 10:08 - Feb 26 with 825 viewsGwyn737

Brexit-second referendum on 09:56 - Feb 26 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Sounds an incredibly sensible policy to me.

So you see restrictions as benefits?

I’m not for one minute saying that work, travel and retirement is as difficult as some like to make out, but to say nothing has changed and it’s not more difficult isn’t true either.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2023 10:09]
Brexit-second referendum on 11:21 - Feb 26 with 808 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Brexit-second referendum on 10:08 - Feb 26 by Gwyn737

I’m not for one minute saying that work, travel and retirement is as difficult as some like to make out, but to say nothing has changed and it’s not more difficult isn’t true either.

What Spain are essentially saying is you’re very welcome to come and retire here as long as you have the means to support yourself and have protection if you get ill. You may see it as a restriction but looking at it objectively it’s a very sensible policy that any country on earth should be using.

And of course things have changed, but most of the time the only tangible barrier is a form that takes five minutes to fill in or an extra stamp in your passport. The reality on the ground for people who regularly live work and travel around Europe is incredibly different from the reality peddled by these activist “journalists” who never leave islington or the type of idiots Kilkennyjack keeps linking to on Twitter. That’s the point. We are regularly told by these people the drawbridge has been pulled up and Europe has become an impregnable fortress. It’s just not true.

Brexit-second referendum on 12:13 - Feb 26 with 790 viewsGwyn737

Brexit-second referendum on 11:21 - Feb 26 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

What Spain are essentially saying is you’re very welcome to come and retire here as long as you have the means to support yourself and have protection if you get ill. You may see it as a restriction but looking at it objectively it’s a very sensible policy that any country on earth should be using.

And of course things have changed, but most of the time the only tangible barrier is a form that takes five minutes to fill in or an extra stamp in your passport. The reality on the ground for people who regularly live work and travel around Europe is incredibly different from the reality peddled by these activist “journalists” who never leave islington or the type of idiots Kilkennyjack keeps linking to on Twitter. That’s the point. We are regularly told by these people the drawbridge has been pulled up and Europe has become an impregnable fortress. It’s just not true.

Oh, I agree the Killey simplifies this far too much.

I suppose I’m naturally against choice being taken away. Does £2500 a month really mean you’ll be ok when your not on £2400 a month? A lot of people who could have gone who now can’t.

Retirement is still probably the least effected part of what’s been removed. If you want to work or study abroad you are far more effected.

And of course it works the other way too. We’re crying out for more workers in all sorts of industries, from fruit picking to the NHS.

Which ever way it’s framed, the right to live work and travel through the EU has gone.

Mind you, it’s one thing that we new was going to happen so leave voters aren’t going to see it as a negative in the main.

I’m just a little frustrated now that we’re wasting time when closer ties are inevitable.
Brexit-second referendum on 13:55 - Feb 26 with 764 viewsTogg

Brexit-second referendum on 11:21 - Feb 26 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Yes you are correct about the amount needed to retire to Spain. It's less in Portugal. But I think Spain are trying to safeguard themselves from the ' Bargain Loving Brits' who may not have a pot to p in and become a liability to the nation.
For us to obtain a Non Lucrative Visa will take up to 3 months. We will have to go to the Spanish Consulate in London. Have a meeting, put through your written application, which is best to have a company to help you with.
Also they will require your passport, which can take a few months to get back. Also a report from the Police that you are a good boy or girl. All this costs and takes time.
Yes I agree some blame everything on Brexit, which is nonsense. The freedom of movement has made things not impossible but a lot more difficult. I really hope that in the future we can have reciprocal agreements.
Brexit-second referendum on 20:45 - Feb 26 with 708 viewsDr_Winston

Brexit-second referendum on 10:08 - Feb 26 by Gwyn737

I think any move to give nations some control over their own borders as opposed to a free for all is probably a good thing.

Those who can afford to support themselves when moving abroad will find no real difficulty in doing so. Those who can't will. As it should always have been.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Brexit-second referendum on 15:18 - Feb 28 with 619 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Brexit-second referendum on 20:45 - Feb 26 by Dr_Winston

I think any move to give nations some control over their own borders as opposed to a free for all is probably a good thing.

Those who can afford to support themselves when moving abroad will find no real difficulty in doing so. Those who can't will. As it should always have been.

I'm rather amused by those who say on the one hand our Government needs to sort the issue of migrants crossing the channel then complain that they can't settle in Europe without question!

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024