Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Completely Inept McNulty 16:54 - Apr 15 with 32699 viewsBarrowdale

Hang your head in shame. Gave them the first by your insistance that we should play from the back when we aren’t anywhere near hood enough. Even worse is that you don’t see it and continue repeating the madness. The fans dont want it, clearly the players dont but hey ho.
No attack, no shots, negative back passing and a lack of a game plan. Subs too late again, shall I go on.
Only positive is at least we know that you are not our nxt manager.
What a pathetic spineless way to send us to non league. Absoluted devastated at that performance.
Completely Inept McNulty on 23:02 - Apr 16 with 2199 views442Dale

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:13 - Apr 16 by blackdogblue

Clear out 1… Stockdale
Clear out 2… Bentley

Both happened to late because they don’t listen / read what we sat on here…

Scunny sacked KH well after the relegation that followed last year.. they stuck by him to build a team to bounce back up.. that failed miserably…

Are we the next Scarborough? Original ground is now a housing estate & they played Sunday league to get back up the leagues…

Tuesday is not a massive game… we will be gone by Saturday…

After Scarborough went bust, their supporters trust helped set up Scarborough Athletic who started at North East Counties level (same level as Bury AFC). The old ground is now a Lidl after about a decade of being wasteground.

The new club played in Bridlington for years but now have a nice little ground across the road from the old one, behind the industrial park/car dealerships. They’ve got a 3G pitch and have not long built a new stand.

They decent gates and if they manage to get into and through the play-offs, we’ll be playing them next season.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Completely Inept McNulty on 11:24 - Apr 17 with 1918 viewswheniwasyourage

Completely Inept McNulty on 17:49 - Apr 15 by SaxonDale

Said on another thread whilst the second half it clearly wasn't working, I'm not sure how many big changes he could've done. With no Quigley I'm not sure if we have the players to go more direct especially against a very physical Bradford team.

The centre midfield clearly needed support but again, I'm not sure if we have the personnel in the squad. If McNulty is given the job I'd like to see him recruit players for the style but with clear options which would allow him and the team to change it when required.

I though within the first 10 min that the midfield was light and not working. I am not convinced that Brierley with Kelly works.

In the second half, I was disappointed with the subs - changing the personnel and not the tactics... I think others have already said.. doing the same thing over and over again and hoping for a different outcome...
Completely Inept McNulty on 11:55 - Apr 17 with 1864 viewsfrenzied

Completely Inept McNulty on 13:05 - Apr 16 by turnthescrew

I'd keep Mullarkey. Make him captain (if Lloyd goes). He knows the NL very well and knows what's required. He's a decent player and has a lot to offer.

Brierley is gone as we all know. Offer Hendo a year - no more. He might take it.

You don't mention EEL who can leave today. Massive disappointment this season, as has been Keohane.

I'd release all those you mention, without a second thought. Wipe the slate clean and start afresh with a solid, viable plan on and off the field.

Any notions that people have about us flying high from the start of next season are fanciful. We will be the team everyone wants to beat as every game will be against a new 'welcoming committee', determined to leave its' mark.

It's a new environment, and we need to be ready, well prepared and mentally tough.

Most important season in the history of the club coming up.

I think wherever LLoyd goes it will be important to him to be playing regularly when fit..doesnt seem the sort of fella to be sat on the bench.

He'd be a great leader has a great balance between attitude and talent.

He needs to follow the money for sure but he will need guarantees re his playing time.

Hendo?..im not convinced..cant let heart rule head..glad he became our top goalscorer but i think his time with Dale is done.

Mullarkey will be sold to a football league club ,no point in the lad going back to the NL.

I just hope we can survive in the NL..others have tumbled straight thro..Scunny and Stockport
Completely Inept McNulty on 18:22 - Apr 17 with 1598 viewsdavidab2202

Completely Inept McNulty on 17:49 - Apr 15 by SaxonDale

Said on another thread whilst the second half it clearly wasn't working, I'm not sure how many big changes he could've done. With no Quigley I'm not sure if we have the players to go more direct especially against a very physical Bradford team.

The centre midfield clearly needed support but again, I'm not sure if we have the personnel in the squad. If McNulty is given the job I'd like to see him recruit players for the style but with clear options which would allow him and the team to change it when required.

Really feel that with the limitations within the squad ,it wouldn't matter who was the Manager they would find the job challenging to say the least.
McNulty has at least got 25% of the seasons victories in his 4 games, that is not to say that I think he is the right man for the job, just hope that whoever gets the position gets the chance to radically change the squad..
Still feel that it would have been preferable to make a permanent appointment so that the new man could make decisions on what he feels needs doing but it is as it is and we have to go with the decisions made by those in control of the club
Completely Inept McNulty on 19:21 - Apr 17 with 1506 viewsirishdale2022

The players are doing the exact same thing that they did against Walsall, Wimbledon and Mansfield which they received great praise for. One performance where the result isn’t what we all wanted and they are slaughtered for doing the same thing. Don’t praise them for a win and critique for a loss when the reasons which lead to both results are them same way of playing. Some clarity in these situations would be best served rather than this emotional reaction. If you look at the chances within the game for both sides they scored from two set pieces and a strong deflection whereas we missed 3 1v1s with the goalkeeper while also dominating possession against a top 6 team who have lost 1 game in 17. Im much rather watch the football we have played in the last 4 games vs what was served up previously. The players seem to be playing with identity and purpose that they didn’t have before
Completely Inept McNulty on 19:22 - Apr 17 with 1498 viewskel

Completely Inept McNulty on 13:05 - Apr 16 by turnthescrew

I'd keep Mullarkey. Make him captain (if Lloyd goes). He knows the NL very well and knows what's required. He's a decent player and has a lot to offer.

Brierley is gone as we all know. Offer Hendo a year - no more. He might take it.

You don't mention EEL who can leave today. Massive disappointment this season, as has been Keohane.

I'd release all those you mention, without a second thought. Wipe the slate clean and start afresh with a solid, viable plan on and off the field.

Any notions that people have about us flying high from the start of next season are fanciful. We will be the team everyone wants to beat as every game will be against a new 'welcoming committee', determined to leave its' mark.

It's a new environment, and we need to be ready, well prepared and mentally tough.

Most important season in the history of the club coming up.

I’ve not seen a single person on here or any other social media give the impression that they think we’re going to be flying high next season.

The increasingly obsessed BIFFOS on Twitter are suggesting some of us think it will be easy too but I bet, if challenged, not one of them could find a single quote from a Dale fan.

We’ve always been realistic on the whole and have never been as deluded as supporters of other clubs in the area.
Completely Inept McNulty on 19:33 - Apr 17 with 1455 views442Dale

Completely Inept McNulty on 19:21 - Apr 17 by irishdale2022

The players are doing the exact same thing that they did against Walsall, Wimbledon and Mansfield which they received great praise for. One performance where the result isn’t what we all wanted and they are slaughtered for doing the same thing. Don’t praise them for a win and critique for a loss when the reasons which lead to both results are them same way of playing. Some clarity in these situations would be best served rather than this emotional reaction. If you look at the chances within the game for both sides they scored from two set pieces and a strong deflection whereas we missed 3 1v1s with the goalkeeper while also dominating possession against a top 6 team who have lost 1 game in 17. Im much rather watch the football we have played in the last 4 games vs what was served up previously. The players seem to be playing with identity and purpose that they didn’t have before

The tactics used in the first half against Wimbledon were criticised, EEL struggling being asked to pass about from in and around his own area. Second half he was commended for his defensive performance.

We did not persevere with the silly goal kick all the time in other games either, the focus was passing the ball forward, quickly. That doesn’t mean hoofing it forward, but playing into
Brierley and Kelly who went forward or wide. That just wasn’t the case on Saturday and ball retention in dangerous areas seemed to be more important than pushing further up the pitch.

It’s not even that the tactics are bad, keeping the ball like that can be used at times - when you’re winning for example, but it’s that supporters are being mentioned for being nervy and frustrated when watching their team pass the ball in dangerous areas, losing it at times, all at a time when we are losing.

Passing, progressive football making the most of the players we have is how Dale have succeeded in the past. We challenged for a play-off spot in League 1 with Craig Dawson playing the ball 40/50 yards into COG and playing from there.

Taking a goal kick to Max Taylor or EEL stood five yards away from the keeper is not a philosophy that makes much sense.

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:01 - Apr 17 with 1374 viewsirishdale2022

Completely Inept McNulty on 19:33 - Apr 17 by 442Dale

The tactics used in the first half against Wimbledon were criticised, EEL struggling being asked to pass about from in and around his own area. Second half he was commended for his defensive performance.

We did not persevere with the silly goal kick all the time in other games either, the focus was passing the ball forward, quickly. That doesn’t mean hoofing it forward, but playing into
Brierley and Kelly who went forward or wide. That just wasn’t the case on Saturday and ball retention in dangerous areas seemed to be more important than pushing further up the pitch.

It’s not even that the tactics are bad, keeping the ball like that can be used at times - when you’re winning for example, but it’s that supporters are being mentioned for being nervy and frustrated when watching their team pass the ball in dangerous areas, losing it at times, all at a time when we are losing.

Passing, progressive football making the most of the players we have is how Dale have succeeded in the past. We challenged for a play-off spot in League 1 with Craig Dawson playing the ball 40/50 yards into COG and playing from there.

Taking a goal kick to Max Taylor or EEL stood five yards away from the keeper is not a philosophy that makes much sense.

In all of the 4 games we have played directly from our own third with CBs starting within the box. Whether the first pass from the goalkeeper goes into CBs or into the CFs is dependent on what the opposition are doing. For example 1st half on Saturday they stood on our players and pressed high, whereas 2nd they dropped off and allowed us the ball up until the halfway line. The difference between this game and previous is that individual players ability to keep the ball while we were playing was worse than in the previous games. The “silly goal kicks” worked very well for us against Walsall where we played through them numerous times.

Completely agree with making the most of the players we have is the best tactic. So playing into very good ball playing midfielders in Brierley and Kelly is the making the most of it. Playing direct into Ian Henderson and Mellor/Odoh/Lloyd when the opposition isn’t pressing high against us isn’t playing to our strengths. So therefore we need to play the shorted passes first to bring the opponent onto us before playing into our smaller technical forward players to get the best out of them. So taking a short goal kick before playing into our front lines feet rather than their head from a direct goal kick with everyone starting up the pitch is definitely the better option. Like I said in the previous post the tactics between the two games are no different. It’s just we didn’t have the same result from the style
Login to get fewer ads

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:03 - Apr 17 with 1368 views49thseason

Completely Inept McNulty on 19:33 - Apr 17 by 442Dale

Of EELs first 6 touches 3 went to Bradford players, he is a liability with the ball at his feet. Decent as a stopper but a ball player? Not really. One of our biggest problems has been the inability to keep the ball at the top end of the pitch, without a target man to hold up play and bring others onto the ball, its always going to be a problem scoring goals. Bentley tried to solve that problem with Quigley but he prefers to stand in the centre circle for some reason I have never fathomed except that he isn't really a target man at all, he is competition for Henderson's spot. Most centre-backs can have a night off if he is on the team sheet. Mellor has caused more problems because he is more mobile but we haven't had a proper replacement for Beesley and now we are where we are.
Completely Inept McNulty on 20:05 - Apr 17 with 1350 viewsirishdale2022

Also the tactics used in the 1st half vs Wimbledon were also used in the 2nd half, again same tactics but we scored in the 2nd half so it’s okay for us to play that way then.

Question for you, if we had come back to win on Saturday would the way of playing from the goalkeeper had been criticised?
Completely Inept McNulty on 20:11 - Apr 17 with 1326 viewsirishdale2022

Have we conceded a goal from playing from our CBs in these areas directly in any of these games? Vs how many goals/chances have we created from doing it? The 1st goal came from a set pieces as did the 2nd. The third from a counter attack from us having possession of the ball in the Bradford half and a cross that was headed away to then lead to a blocked deflected shot.

The panic and criticism of this is misplaced. There is no difference between giving the ball away in this area vs higher up. But the rewards of the players getting it right are so much higher than the risk
Completely Inept McNulty on 20:15 - Apr 17 with 1314 viewsirishdale2022

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:03 - Apr 17 by 49thseason

Of EELs first 6 touches 3 went to Bradford players, he is a liability with the ball at his feet. Decent as a stopper but a ball player? Not really. One of our biggest problems has been the inability to keep the ball at the top end of the pitch, without a target man to hold up play and bring others onto the ball, its always going to be a problem scoring goals. Bentley tried to solve that problem with Quigley but he prefers to stand in the centre circle for some reason I have never fathomed except that he isn't really a target man at all, he is competition for Henderson's spot. Most centre-backs can have a night off if he is on the team sheet. Mellor has caused more problems because he is more mobile but we haven't had a proper replacement for Beesley and now we are where we are.

Henderson holds the ball better than Quigley (who many claim to be a target man) Mellor wins the ball more in the air than Quigley. The myth that you need a player to be 6ft plus to hold onto the ball is so outdated. Winning. A header doesn’t gain you possession of the ball, it’s a significantly higher risk of losing the ball than playing into a players chest or feet which is easier to control
Completely Inept McNulty on 20:16 - Apr 17 with 1313 viewsD_Alien

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:11 - Apr 17 by irishdale2022

Have we conceded a goal from playing from our CBs in these areas directly in any of these games? Vs how many goals/chances have we created from doing it? The 1st goal came from a set pieces as did the 2nd. The third from a counter attack from us having possession of the ball in the Bradford half and a cross that was headed away to then lead to a blocked deflected shot.

The panic and criticism of this is misplaced. There is no difference between giving the ball away in this area vs higher up. But the rewards of the players getting it right are so much higher than the risk

The first, from a set piece, was as a direct result of the ball being played short to Taylor whose forward pass found a Bradford player and resulted in Taylor having to commit the foul on the edge of the box. He looked clearly demoralised from that point on every time we got a goal kick and was asked to do the same again

To require him to keep doing that was not only poor management but an act of cruelty

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:24 - Apr 17 with 1269 viewsirishdale2022

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:16 - Apr 17 by D_Alien

The first, from a set piece, was as a direct result of the ball being played short to Taylor whose forward pass found a Bradford player and resulted in Taylor having to commit the foul on the edge of the box. He looked clearly demoralised from that point on every time we got a goal kick and was asked to do the same again

To require him to keep doing that was not only poor management but an act of cruelty

So it wasn’t from playing out. It was a set piece. Which is defensive phase with everyone of our players in the box to defend. Would you have blamed this goal on Direct kick from Rod with every player up which we had then been countered on and Taylor giving a foul away. Or would it have been a set piece goal? (For example this is how we have away the set piece for the 2nd goal)

Taylor has played his best football I’ve seen in the past 3 games he looks really comfortable and composed on the ball to me and certainly seems to enjoy it. Giving the ball away once and committing a foul is strange way of describing cruelty. Cruelty is watching the previous 6 months of football that’s been served up prior to these 4 games
Completely Inept McNulty on 20:27 - Apr 17 with 1251 viewsD_Alien

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:24 - Apr 17 by irishdale2022

So it wasn’t from playing out. It was a set piece. Which is defensive phase with everyone of our players in the box to defend. Would you have blamed this goal on Direct kick from Rod with every player up which we had then been countered on and Taylor giving a foul away. Or would it have been a set piece goal? (For example this is how we have away the set piece for the 2nd goal)

Taylor has played his best football I’ve seen in the past 3 games he looks really comfortable and composed on the ball to me and certainly seems to enjoy it. Giving the ball away once and committing a foul is strange way of describing cruelty. Cruelty is watching the previous 6 months of football that’s been served up prior to these 4 games

I'm a fan of Taylor, but he's still young

I posted after the game that using the tactic you espouse works if it's used sparingly, with options to mix it up to keep the opposition guessing

Hughes had clearly done his homework on us, after those earlier games using the same tactics you describe

An inability to change tactics when the game demands it isn't the sign of a manager with sufficient tactical nous to succeed

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:39 - Apr 17 with 1217 viewsirishdale2022

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:27 - Apr 17 by D_Alien

I'm a fan of Taylor, but he's still young

I posted after the game that using the tactic you espouse works if it's used sparingly, with options to mix it up to keep the opposition guessing

Hughes had clearly done his homework on us, after those earlier games using the same tactics you describe

An inability to change tactics when the game demands it isn't the sign of a manager with sufficient tactical nous to succeed

The tactic itself is mixed: sometime ROD plays short into CBs sometimes He plays direct into Mellor/Henderson, with the oppositions team pressing our Defenders. It gives options.

I think tearing up a tactic because it hasn’t worked in one game shows poor management personally. Using the same way of playing but improving the players so they can do it better seems to me the better way. As it gives the players continuity. And means they can improve, if you believe in doing something and give up at the 1st sign of resistance, that is weakness to me. Let’s see if the players can improve on this and become more reliable with their passing and first touch as they get more and more used to it. Bear in mind they have only been doing this for 4 games. You don’t see the “best managers” in the game changing the way they play because it doesn’t work once. They access why it hasn’t worked (for me this was due to players poor ability on the day) and then seek ways to improve it.

I’m actually looking forward to watching tomorrows game which I didn’t think I would say 5 games ago.
Completely Inept McNulty on 20:49 - Apr 17 with 1183 viewsblackdogblue

“The tactic itself is mixed: sometime ROD plays short into CBs sometimes He plays direct into Mellor/Henderson, with the oppositions team pressing our Defenders. It gives options”

Used to be to Calvin or Peter V

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:51 - Apr 17 with 1174 viewsRodingdale

Walsalls 2nd springs to mind…
[Post edited 17 Apr 2023 20:56]
Completely Inept McNulty on 20:51 - Apr 17 with 1173 views442Dale

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:39 - Apr 17 by irishdale2022

The tactic itself is mixed: sometime ROD plays short into CBs sometimes He plays direct into Mellor/Henderson, with the oppositions team pressing our Defenders. It gives options.

I think tearing up a tactic because it hasn’t worked in one game shows poor management personally. Using the same way of playing but improving the players so they can do it better seems to me the better way. As it gives the players continuity. And means they can improve, if you believe in doing something and give up at the 1st sign of resistance, that is weakness to me. Let’s see if the players can improve on this and become more reliable with their passing and first touch as they get more and more used to it. Bear in mind they have only been doing this for 4 games. You don’t see the “best managers” in the game changing the way they play because it doesn’t work once. They access why it hasn’t worked (for me this was due to players poor ability on the day) and then seek ways to improve it.

I’m actually looking forward to watching tomorrows game which I didn’t think I would say 5 games ago.

It’s a tactic that didn’t work under BBM and one that won’t work in L2/NL because it inevitably gives up chances to the opposition. Asking players who aren’t comfortable in receiving the ball in their own six yard box to do so is crazy, that’s why fans were nervy and frustrated. That the manager chose to call that out rather than acknowledge those players aren’t suitable to do it is the biggest issue. And we don’t need to ever hear his thoughts on that again, we’ve been there before.

Our success as a football club has never been built on playing dangerous football in our own third. There are videos of previous games against Tranmere on the OS. The game in 2011 illustrates the point perfectly. We’re playing passing football, but effective football.
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/april/weve-met-before--tranmere-rovers-h

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:51 - Apr 17 with 1173 viewsD_Alien

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:39 - Apr 17 by irishdale2022

I don't know if you were watching NcNulty on the touchline after ROD started going long with goalkicks. He made a point (during a break in play) of shouting over to ROD and putting his palms down flat to say "keep the ball on the ground"

As it happens, one of ROD's longer kicks wasn't a hoof but found Hendo around the halfway line, who chested it down for Brierley to pick up. That worked, but then McNulty did his "hands down" thing

BBM's possession-based football saw a squad which really shouldn't have been, relegated

We're now caught in the trap door into non-league, and whilst improving players is a laudable long-term aim, the most important (the ONLY bloody important) thing was to pick up points. I agree that watching Dale prior to the Bradford game was an improvement, so a necessary adjustment should've been made whilst Hughes stood there next to McNulty with the look of an experienced manager who knows he's out-thought his opposite number

McNulty should be able to learn from this, as he's asking his players to learn. If not, he'll simply lose them, as he lost Taylor during that first half

[Post edited 17 Apr 2023 20:54]

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:52 - Apr 17 with 1168 viewsTalkingSutty

That's a load of rubbish. The first goal was a free header from a set piece but why was the free kick conceded? It was conceded because Taylor made a error while playing it out from the back, he then dived in and conceded the free kick and we let them score from a free header...three very poor examples of defending that all started from playing it out from the back

'There is no difference between giving the ball away around your own area than there is higher up the pitch'...are you on a wind up? That's one of the most ridiculous observations I've ever seen on this forum.
Completely Inept McNulty on 20:58 - Apr 17 with 1138 viewsirishdale2022

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:51 - Apr 17 by 442Dale

It’s a tactic that didn’t work under BBM and one that won’t work in L2/NL because it inevitably gives up chances to the opposition. Asking players who aren’t comfortable in receiving the ball in their own six yard box to do so is crazy, that’s why fans were nervy and frustrated. That the manager chose to call that out rather than acknowledge those players aren’t suitable to do it is the biggest issue. And we don’t need to ever hear his thoughts on that again, we’ve been there before.

Our success as a football club has never been built on playing dangerous football in our own third. There are videos of previous games against Tranmere on the OS. The game in 2011 illustrates the point perfectly. We’re playing passing football, but effective football.
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2023/april/weve-met-before--tranmere-rovers-h

Were the players uncomfortable doing it vs Walsall?

You are reacting with emotion to a result not to how we actually played.

We played some of the best football I’ve seen under BBM, the playing squad that got relegated was significantly weaker than most in that division.

Keith Hill played possession based football and we had the best success the clubs had. Bentley played direct football and it was some of the worse we’d seen
Completely Inept McNulty on 21:00 - Apr 17 with 1129 viewsirishdale2022

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:51 - Apr 17 by 442Dale

Also Notts County are playing possession football from the back in the national league this season. Leyton Orient, Bradford, Mansfield, Salford this season and Forest Green last season. So you point on not being able to do it in these leagues is nonsense.
Completely Inept McNulty on 21:02 - Apr 17 with 1124 views442Dale

Who else at the top end of L2 plays this way? Genuine question.

I believe Salford started that way and Smith wasn’t involved, but then they switched it up to make use of him before bringing in other options up front.

Completely Inept McNulty on 21:02 - Apr 17 with 1123 viewsirishdale2022

Completely Inept McNulty on 20:51 - Apr 17 by Rodingdale

Walsalls 2nd springs to mind…
[Post edited 17 Apr 2023 20:56]

The question was about giving the ball away in the our own third. Lloyd was next to Bradfords box when he passed the ball. So no it’s not the same
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024