Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ospreys Merger with Cardiff 19:48 - Jun 24 with 4147 viewsTogg

Paper talk but that would be me done with Welsh Rugby at any level! In other words Cardiff( great region) would just ramsack our team. We have absolutely nothing in common and as regions and Cities polar opposites. We continue to be the poor relation in this area. Honestly I would rather merge with the Turks and that's saying something. At least we would keep first class Rugby in South West Wales and be able to develop players.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/cardiff-ospreys-merger-talk
Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 10:30 - Jun 25 with 1113 viewsonehunglow

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 10:15 - Jun 25 by max936

"What Jack would want a bunch of village tugs tagged to them."

That's a bit out of order R,

Would you have preferred Llanelli?

S
You are one of the few to realise some of what is provocative( to some) and much tongue in cheek.
It’s a short life and all types of humour abound.
I would describe myself as vile or poisonous though and I’m certainly not a failure nor dumb ,mainly as only I know my mindset
I’m not a liar though .
Drama queen for sure,as are all men . Difference is I m honest enough to admit so.

Some what I post is genuine and serious

To answer your question,Neathies hated Jacks ,at least in my experience but not as much as the Turks.

Swansea stands supreme in south Wales.

It did and always will.

Flawed fir sure but I loved the old girl.

46 yrs away changes nothing.
It’s a fine line between love and hate

Don’t forget the sun cream and laugh

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 11:33 - Jun 25 with 1083 viewsmajorraglan

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 22:20 - Jun 24 by onehunglow

I hated Swansea being attached to Neath.
What Jack would want a bunch of village tugs tagged to them.
We played in virtual black.

First and second city pre eminent,the rest are confetti.

No offence

How do you think Bridgend and Aberavon supporters felt, we had a regional concept but their clubs and supporters were totally disenfranchised. It’s now the same up Pontypridd way, big tracks of the valley have no affinity with Cardiff and their supporters will be disenfranchised.

The bottom line is Swansea weren’t big enough to support the game at the higher level same with Neath, Bridgend and Aberavon - the stadiums of all 5 clubs are pretty poor and well off 21st century requirements.
Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 11:39 - Jun 25 with 1079 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 11:33 - Jun 25 by majorraglan

How do you think Bridgend and Aberavon supporters felt, we had a regional concept but their clubs and supporters were totally disenfranchised. It’s now the same up Pontypridd way, big tracks of the valley have no affinity with Cardiff and their supporters will be disenfranchised.

The bottom line is Swansea weren’t big enough to support the game at the higher level same with Neath, Bridgend and Aberavon - the stadiums of all 5 clubs are pretty poor and well off 21st century requirements.

Neither were Cardiff, Llanelli, Newport or Ebbw Vale big enough but the Welsh RU went ahead anyway.

The Ospreys have the highest average attendance since the inception of the regional set up.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 12:06 - Jun 25 with 1070 viewsTogg

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 11:33 - Jun 25 by majorraglan

Swansea the second biggest city in Wales, with a rich history of Rugby Union.Look at the size of Exeter, Gloucester, Bath, Northampton. The game in Wales like most things is Cardiff centric. Oh yes and Llanelli because they beat the All Blacks in 1973 and have loads of Welsh speakers who sing Welsh songs.
Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 12:30 - Jun 25 with 1061 viewsmajorraglan

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 12:06 - Jun 25 by Togg

Swansea the second biggest city in Wales, with a rich history of Rugby Union.Look at the size of Exeter, Gloucester, Bath, Northampton. The game in Wales like most things is Cardiff centric. Oh yes and Llanelli because they beat the All Blacks in 1973 and have loads of Welsh speakers who sing Welsh songs.

Swansea is the second biggest City in Wales and it does have a rich history of rugby, but it’s history. Cardiff does seem to have a massive influence on the WRU and I think that’s unhealthy for the game, but their ground is much better than St Helen’s which is well past is sell by date. As for the as Scarlets, I despise them.
Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 14:20 - Jun 25 with 1024 viewsSullutaCreturned

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 06:41 - Jun 25 by Kilkennyjack

The new regions have existed since 2003.

The old club game was nowhere near the regional pro level. Those days are gone.
A return to the club game will not result in big crowds like years ago. Those days are long gone.

The Whites played a rebel season where they more than held their own and English teams, they had bigger crowds than the ospreys get too.

I know....because I was there.

I used to walk straight from the Vetch over to St helens in those days. 8-10,000 crowds. neath also regularly got 7-8000. The Ospreys get what 4.5-6000. Youre dead right, it's a different level.
Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 14:22 - Jun 25 with 1019 viewsonehunglow

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 14:20 - Jun 25 by SullutaCreturned

The Whites played a rebel season where they more than held their own and English teams, they had bigger crowds than the ospreys get too.

I used to walk straight from the Vetch over to St helens in those days. 8-10,000 crowds. neath also regularly got 7-8000. The Ospreys get what 4.5-6000. Youre dead right, it's a different level.

Most in Swansea like both codes
Swansea has a great history on rugby Union

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 15:27 - Jun 25 with 1007 viewsReslovenSwan1

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 14:22 - Jun 25 by onehunglow

Most in Swansea like both codes
Swansea has a great history on rugby Union

It seems obvious to me. A elite 8 team league with Dragons dropping down and reverting to Newport and the formation of a north Wales team.

Three regions Scarlets, Osprey and Cardiff. The WRU want to keep Dragons because they own it. Typical self interest from another clueless Welsh committee.

The three regions would trim their squads an use semi pros from the "super 8" by some for on loan system.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Login to get fewer ads

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 16:51 - Jun 25 with 969 viewsTogg

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 15:27 - Jun 25 by ReslovenSwan1

It seems obvious to me. A elite 8 team league with Dragons dropping down and reverting to Newport and the formation of a north Wales team.

Three regions Scarlets, Osprey and Cardiff. The WRU want to keep Dragons because they own it. Typical self interest from another clueless Welsh committee.

The three regions would trim their squads an use semi pros from the "super 8" by some for on loan system.

Absolutely...friggin WRU.
Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 17:32 - Jun 25 with 958 viewsonehunglow

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 15:27 - Jun 25 by ReslovenSwan1

Agree with all of that

Wow

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 18:00 - Jun 25 with 943 viewsKilkennyjack

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 14:20 - Jun 25 by SullutaCreturned

What was the Swansea RFC average crowds vs Ebbw Vale, Newbridge, Cross Keys, Aberavon, and Dunvant ?
It was not all derby days vs Llanelli, Neath, plus say Cardiff and Newport ?

I recall Penclawdd knocking Newport out of the Welsh Cup.

The welsh national team was saved by regional rugby setting pro standards.
You are talking bollox.

It would be like sending the Cymru Prem footballers to an Argentinian World Cup finals.
Get real mun.

Beware of the Risen People

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 18:56 - Jun 25 with 920 viewsonehunglow

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 18:00 - Jun 25 by Kilkennyjack

What was the Swansea RFC average crowds vs Ebbw Vale, Newbridge, Cross Keys, Aberavon, and Dunvant ?

You are talking bollox.

It would be like sending the Cymru Prem footballers to an Argentinian World Cup finals.
Get real mun.

Jeeez ,you must be as old as me
I lived very near Broadacre

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 21:04 - Jun 25 with 885 viewsSullutaCreturned

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 18:00 - Jun 25 by Kilkennyjack

You are talking bollox.

Get real mun.

What was going on in the glory years of the 70's then?

What got Welsh rugby into a shit state was poor management by the WRU. Regions have been a disaster.
As with politics, sport has become Cardiff centric, as long as Cardiff has it the rest of Wales can go to hell.
What if this merger doesn't pay off, will they swallow up Llanelli too?

PS, you calcuate an average crowd across a season, not just against the worst teams. And I recall some Welsh cup hiccups for Swansea and Cardiff too. Spencer works drawing with mighty Swansea eh, who'd believe it.

One last thing, as I pointed out,during the rebel season crowds were very good, if the quality of the opposition is the problem then ditch the WRU, you wouldn't like that though.
Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 21:19 - Jun 25 with 877 viewsDr_Winston

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 21:04 - Jun 25 by SullutaCreturned

What got Welsh rugby into a shit state was poor management by the WRU. Regions have been a disaster.
As with politics, sport has become Cardiff centric, as long as Cardiff has it the rest of Wales can go to hell.

PS, you calcuate an average crowd across a season, not just against the worst teams. And I recall some Welsh cup hiccups for Swansea and Cardiff too. Spencer works drawing with mighty Swansea eh, who'd believe it.

One last thing, as I pointed out,during the rebel season crowds were very good, if the quality of the opposition is the problem then ditch the WRU, you wouldn't like that though.

Cards on the table here. I don't really give a f*ck about Rugby. If the game ceased to exist tomorrow I wouldn't care even a little bit. You can either take my opinions as nonsense based on that admission, or as unbiased truth that they represent.

From where I'm sitting it's simply not true that the Regions have been a failure. Welsh Rugby was mostly sh*t for about 25 years from the mid-70's to the advent of regionalism. Since 2003 Wales have won what? three or four grand slams and a load of other stuff? Regionalism did what it was intended to do. Drag the game into the 21st Century.

What is doing Rugby down is the fact that in its heartlands, people just aren't that interested any more. The advent and exponential growth of Premier League football, and especially the ascent of both the Swans and to a lesser extent Cardiff in recent years, has gutted the game. Kids who might previously have grown up wanting to be Alun Wyn Jones will now have season tickets at White Rock or Legoland.

The game might be better off shifting back to the clubs and semi-professionalism. Those good enough will move elsewhere to earn a full time living from it, the rest will stay at home. English clubs are mostly struggling financially so it'll probably happen there as well.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 21:44 - Jun 25 with 864 viewsonehunglow

As has been posted previously, Swansea has a proud history of Rugby Union,regardless of those who hate the game .

Many went to see the Whites one week,Swans the next.

My dad took me initially to see The Whites v All Blacks in 1953 when it was 6-6 although I don’t remember it.
I do remember the win against Oz in 1966 .

Great memories

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 22:04 - Jun 25 with 861 viewsDr_Winston

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 21:44 - Jun 25 by onehunglow

As has been posted previously, Swansea has a proud history of Rugby Union,regardless of those who hate the game .

Many went to see the Whites one week,Swans the next.

My dad took me initially to see The Whites v All Blacks in 1953 when it was 6-6 although I don’t remember it.
I do remember the win against Oz in 1966 .

Great memories

Wales had a proud history of sending children down into coal mines. What was once true has little relevance on what is true now.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 23:30 - Jun 25 with 824 viewsKilkennyjack

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 21:04 - Jun 25 by SullutaCreturned

In the 1970s the rugby was amateur standard, except the All Blacks.
Welsh club rugby could cope.
London Welsh had a coach in Carwyn James before anyone else.

Now everyone is pro the standard is higher than ever.
The players are bigger and stronger.
The many coaches are world class.

You will be telling me next that Phil May was better than AWJ, and Titley better than George North.
Stop it.

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 23:31 - Jun 25 with 823 viewsKilkennyjack

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 21:19 - Jun 25 by Dr_Winston

Cards on the table here. I don't really give a f*ck about Rugby. If the game ceased to exist tomorrow I wouldn't care even a little bit. You can either take my opinions as nonsense based on that admission, or as unbiased truth that they represent.

From where I'm sitting it's simply not true that the Regions have been a failure. Welsh Rugby was mostly sh*t for about 25 years from the mid-70's to the advent of regionalism. Since 2003 Wales have won what? three or four grand slams and a load of other stuff? Regionalism did what it was intended to do. Drag the game into the 21st Century.

What is doing Rugby down is the fact that in its heartlands, people just aren't that interested any more. The advent and exponential growth of Premier League football, and especially the ascent of both the Swans and to a lesser extent Cardiff in recent years, has gutted the game. Kids who might previously have grown up wanting to be Alun Wyn Jones will now have season tickets at White Rock or Legoland.

The game might be better off shifting back to the clubs and semi-professionalism. Those good enough will move elsewhere to earn a full time living from it, the rest will stay at home. English clubs are mostly struggling financially so it'll probably happen there as well.

Good post.

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 08:33 - Jun 26 with 776 viewsscruffyjack

There are plans ahead to develop St Helens with a capacity of 8 - 9,000, but will also mean the end of cricket at this once great venue.
Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 18:05 - Jun 26 with 692 viewsSullutaCreturned

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 23:30 - Jun 25 by Kilkennyjack

In the 1970s the rugby was amateur standard, except the All Blacks.
Welsh club rugby could cope.
London Welsh had a coach in Carwyn James before anyone else.

Now everyone is pro the standard is higher than ever.
The players are bigger and stronger.
The many coaches are world class.

You will be telling me next that Phil May was better than AWJ, and Titley better than George North.
Stop it.

Right, when you say standards are much higher you are right in a couple of respects, the players are much bigger, stronger and quicker. In a couple of vital areas though the game has gotten worse which is why I believe rugby is struggling so badly, skill levels and entertainment are both sgnificantly worse.

Rugby is all crash ball these days, there is hardly a sidestep or a body swerve to be seen, you don't see a winger beat someone for anything other than speed or strength, Shane Williams was the last proper winger Wales had, North was just a tank on legs who could run fast.

There are still some skilfull players obviously but most of them are just robots obeying instructions. This combined with stupidly high ticket prices has put off genuine rugby fans and on international day you see the ground filled with drunken idiots who watch the big screens to see if they are on it and in between scuttle off to the bars for more liquid stupidity. Watching rugby is something they sometimes remember to do.

Dr W does have a point about some of it but another thing killing rugby, now everyone is pro, is they all want big wages that the regions cannot afford. it's just like the way football has gone, wage inflation has damaged the sport.
Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 20:00 - Jun 26 with 665 viewsKilkennyjack

Ospreys Merger with Cardiff on 18:05 - Jun 26 by SullutaCreturned

Right, when you say standards are much higher you are right in a couple of respects, the players are much bigger, stronger and quicker. In a couple of vital areas though the game has gotten worse which is why I believe rugby is struggling so badly, skill levels and entertainment are both sgnificantly worse.

Rugby is all crash ball these days, there is hardly a sidestep or a body swerve to be seen, you don't see a winger beat someone for anything other than speed or strength, Shane Williams was the last proper winger Wales had, North was just a tank on legs who could run fast.

There are still some skilfull players obviously but most of them are just robots obeying instructions. This combined with stupidly high ticket prices has put off genuine rugby fans and on international day you see the ground filled with drunken idiots who watch the big screens to see if they are on it and in between scuttle off to the bars for more liquid stupidity. Watching rugby is something they sometimes remember to do.

Dr W does have a point about some of it but another thing killing rugby, now everyone is pro, is they all want big wages that the regions cannot afford. it's just like the way football has gone, wage inflation has damaged the sport.

Some excellent points.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024