Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 23:18 - Oct 31 with 7819 viewsBklynRanger

It's all about opinions but I actually thought we were better than Saturday. Sheff Utd were properly on the ropes at times towards the end of that - completely smashed them.
Off the top of my head:

- Furlong looked like a real asset when he came on.
- Wheeler worked really hard, challenges really well for headers as expected
- Speaking of headers Robo's reading of the game and natural ability are really coming through. Different class at times.
- Sylla chased the back three around like a man reborn.
- Mackie should have scored.
- Luongo was rubbish - utter, utter shyte - not worth anybody's money in January absolutely not. Same for those other two nobodys in the middle.

Madness.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 23:20]
Just back on 23:23 - Oct 31 with 4965 viewsLongsufferingR

Very different game from Saturday and very different type of performance but the defensive work was magnificent and the pressing and harrying up front worked a treat. Substitutions absolutely spot on.

Lovely stuff.
Just back on 23:26 - Oct 31 with 4934 viewsHunterhoop

We worked our b*llocks off. Robinson and Baptiste had stormers, and our midfield 3 had great games again. But we've played a lot better in a lot of other games this year. Utd were one dimensional and limited.

As someone wholly behind the club and Olly, let's keep our judgement rational.

Utd were missing 2 of their first choice 3 central midfielders. They played poorly. We didn't play that well, but, boy, did the team work hard and grind it out. Fair play.

We were playing better than people thought. We're not playing as well as some people now think we are.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 23:29]
Just back on 23:27 - Oct 31 with 4917 viewsdaveB

brilliant from QPR tonight, work rate was incredible. feels like 2002 again, something special is brewing, Holloway building a very good side
Just back on 23:29 - Oct 31 with 4893 viewsBklynRanger

Just back on 23:26 - Oct 31 by Hunterhoop

We worked our b*llocks off. Robinson and Baptiste had stormers, and our midfield 3 had great games again. But we've played a lot better in a lot of other games this year. Utd were one dimensional and limited.

Utd were missing 2 of their first choice 3 central midfielders. They played poorly. We didn't play that well, but, boy, did the team work hard and grind it out. Fair play.

We were playing better than people thought. We're not playing as well as some people now think we are.

Those words of wisdom aren't for me I trust. I'm a veritable monument to rationality...
Just back on 23:34 - Oct 31 with 4820 viewsBrianMcCarthy

My tuppence'orth:-

Smithies - quiet game for him but usual authority and his alertness and speed off his line contribute to their awful miss early on. 6.
Cousins - loads of potential, solid game, solid skills. 6.
Baptiste - my MOTM. How many clearances??? Plus they loaded him in the first half. They gave up. 8.
Robinson - Agreed about his heading and positioning. Good leadership, too. 7.
Bidwell - also solid, lovely play late on to read their breakaway, stop it dead and start one of ours. 7.
Freeman - started out wide but soon switched back to his usual role, fine game, gets on so much ball, keeps coming for more, great attitude. 7.
Scowen - contender for MOTM. Superb defensively as per usual. Made at least four bad errors but had a hard job today on Brooks but drove him mental. Brooks ended up swinging for him and Scowen faked a big injury, which I didn't like. 7.
Luongo - Quietly very efficient. Another who worked and tackled hard, and mixed in his usual fine passing. 7.
Wheeler - home debut, some nice touches, great attitude, tucked in too much when moved to wing-back. But will learn. 6.
Sylla - Loved his performance. Looks like Animal from the muppets playing invisble drums. 6.
Wash - Incredible first half. Seemed to tire early in the second. Utterly selfless with his runs into channels when I'm sure he'd prefer to be in the area getting shots in. 6.
Furlong - Possibly even better than Cousins, ran the wing tirelessly, good tacking, heading, covering. Growing as a player. 7.
Mackie - Nice work to get a cross in, some nice hold-up play, should have scored. 5.
Manning - I'm sure he would have been on for Wheeler except that we had to use two subs very early to replace the exhausted Cousins and Sylla. He was an immediate improvement due to freshness but also due to more experienced positioning in defence and in attack. Great outlet when we needed it. 7.

Edit - added marks.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 23:37]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Just back on 23:40 - Oct 31 with 4737 viewsDixie_CT

Sheffield United very poor and offered little. When I saw a front two of Clarke and Donaldson I wondered how they have done so well. Billy Sharp is now a bad parody of Billy Sharp!

I thought with more quality in possession we could have been comfortable victors instead of leaving it so close. Cousins was worse than Saturday and Furlong was a marked improvement. Very obvious Cousins isn’t a right wing back and doesn’t understand the position.

Not the best games for Freeman and Scowen either, both looked a little jaded. Mass was the star in there tonight.

Massive shout out to Baptiste & Robinson who were phenomenal. Robinson reads the game so well and is solid in and out of possession. I’m looking forward to seeing him next to Hall & Ned.

Edit - I meant Billy Sharp, not Billy Clarke! Addled brain from two home wins on bounce and a clean sheet!!
[Post edited 1 Nov 2017 8:06]
Just back on 23:41 - Oct 31 with 4705 viewsHunterhoop

Just back on 23:40 - Oct 31 by Dixie_CT

Sheffield United very poor and offered little. When I saw a front two of Clarke and Donaldson I wondered how they have done so well. Billy Sharp is now a bad parody of Billy Sharp!

I thought with more quality in possession we could have been comfortable victors instead of leaving it so close. Cousins was worse than Saturday and Furlong was a marked improvement. Very obvious Cousins isn’t a right wing back and doesn’t understand the position.

Not the best games for Freeman and Scowen either, both looked a little jaded. Mass was the star in there tonight.

Massive shout out to Baptiste & Robinson who were phenomenal. Robinson reads the game so well and is solid in and out of possession. I’m looking forward to seeing him next to Hall & Ned.

Edit - I meant Billy Sharp, not Billy Clarke! Addled brain from two home wins on bounce and a clean sheet!!

Exactly how I saw it.
Just back on 23:42 - Oct 31 with 4698 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just back on 23:40 - Oct 31 by Dixie_CT

Excellent point about needing a bot more quality from some of our players. In the second half - due maybe partially to tiredness - we needed a bit of composure and passing. Thought we missed Hall on the pitch.

Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 23:45 - Oct 31 with 4653 viewsHunterhoop

Just back on 23:42 - Oct 31 by BrianMcCarthy

Excellent point about needing a bot more quality from some of our players. In the second half - due maybe partially to tiredness - we needed a bit of composure and passing. Thought we missed Hall on the pitch.

Not sure, Bri. He's not on Scowen, Luongo or Freeman's level in the middle of the pitch (for mobility if nothing else), and I think Robinson is playing as well as he did at centre half, if not better. I think Robinson looks class at the minute. Reading of the game and awareness is superb.

I'd still have Hall in my back 3 with Ned and Robinson when everyone is fit, mind!
Just back on 23:46 - Oct 31 with 4643 viewsbosh67

Just back on 23:34 - Oct 31 by BrianMcCarthy

My tuppence'orth:-

Smithies - quiet game for him but usual authority and his alertness and speed off his line contribute to their awful miss early on. 6.
Cousins - loads of potential, solid game, solid skills. 6.
Baptiste - my MOTM. How many clearances??? Plus they loaded him in the first half. They gave up. 8.
Robinson - Agreed about his heading and positioning. Good leadership, too. 7.
Bidwell - also solid, lovely play late on to read their breakaway, stop it dead and start one of ours. 7.
Freeman - started out wide but soon switched back to his usual role, fine game, gets on so much ball, keeps coming for more, great attitude. 7.
Scowen - contender for MOTM. Superb defensively as per usual. Made at least four bad errors but had a hard job today on Brooks but drove him mental. Brooks ended up swinging for him and Scowen faked a big injury, which I didn't like. 7.
Luongo - Quietly very efficient. Another who worked and tackled hard, and mixed in his usual fine passing. 7.
Wheeler - home debut, some nice touches, great attitude, tucked in too much when moved to wing-back. But will learn. 6.
Sylla - Loved his performance. Looks like Animal from the muppets playing invisble drums. 6.
Wash - Incredible first half. Seemed to tire early in the second. Utterly selfless with his runs into channels when I'm sure he'd prefer to be in the area getting shots in. 6.
Furlong - Possibly even better than Cousins, ran the wing tirelessly, good tacking, heading, covering. Growing as a player. 7.
Mackie - Nice work to get a cross in, some nice hold-up play, should have scored. 5.
Manning - I'm sure he would have been on for Wheeler except that we had to use two subs very early to replace the exhausted Cousins and Sylla. He was an immediate improvement due to freshness but also due to more experienced positioning in defence and in attack. Great outlet when we needed it. 7.

Edit - added marks.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 23:37]

Love you dearly mate but...

"Cousins - loads of potential, solid game, solid skills "

Am I going f*cking nuts or just watching games in another dimension?

Cousins was god awful tonight. Hopelessly out of position. Nugmegged more times than I can remembered, no tackling ability and dreadfully off the pace.

Furlong came on and we were no longer embarrassed down that flank. Furlong didn't come on because Cousins had to go off to write his book on how to be a right back and right wingback. He simply isn't . That's why Ollie finally hauled him off. After that for all the huff and puff, Utd got nowhere.

We have to find a place for Cousins but right back and wingback aint it.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Just back on 23:48 - Oct 31 with 4622 viewsBensuperhoops

Baptiste played great in my opinion, really solid and strong with some great clearances. Saved us a couple times from dangerous crosses really impressed tonight. Also thought freeman had a great game and scowen and Sylla didn’t stop running. Olly has them working hard somehow haha!
Just back on 23:48 - Oct 31 with 4621 viewsWatford_Ranger

Funny I thought Sheff U were excellent for much of the game. Clarke was awful and if those chances had fallen to Sharp it would have been a different game.

Fantastic spirit from us and the midfield gets better and better. I won't even mention Mackie's 'cameo' as there were so many positive performances.

It's really no coincidence that the more the crowd get behind Sylla, the harder he works.

P.s. Hope the boy in goal is ok even if he's Chelsea.
Just back on 23:56 - Oct 31 with 4551 viewsbosh67

Just back on 23:48 - Oct 31 by Watford_Ranger

Funny I thought Sheff U were excellent for much of the game. Clarke was awful and if those chances had fallen to Sharp it would have been a different game.

Fantastic spirit from us and the midfield gets better and better. I won't even mention Mackie's 'cameo' as there were so many positive performances.

It's really no coincidence that the more the crowd get behind Sylla, the harder he works.

Good point at the end. He was completely out of it. Hope he is okay.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Just back on 00:03 - Nov 1 with 4493 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just back on 23:45 - Oct 31 by Hunterhoop

Not sure, Bri. He's not on Scowen, Luongo or Freeman's level in the middle of the pitch (for mobility if nothing else), and I think Robinson is playing as well as he did at centre half, if not better. I think Robinson looks class at the minute. Reading of the game and awareness is superb.

I'd still have Hall in my back 3 with Ned and Robinson when everyone is fit, mind!

Yes, me too. I'd like him bringing the ball out from the back again.

Just back on 00:08 - Nov 1 with 4439 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just back on 23:46 - Oct 31 by bosh67

Cousins was god awful tonight. Hopelessly out of position. Nugmegged more times than I can remembered, no tackling ability and dreadfully off the pace.

Furlong came on and we were no longer embarrassed down that flank. Furlong didn't come on because Cousins had to go off to write his book on how to be a right back and right wingback. He simply isn't . That's why Ollie finally hauled him off. After that for all the huff and puff, Utd got nowhere.

Hey man,

I think I'm making allowances for his return from a long lay-off, maybe even subconsciously. I did say that I thought Furlong was an improvement and he may even turn out a better player but he also is on a learning curve so who knows.

I agree about his defensive positioning, though I thought it was better than Wheeler's. I also thought he added something going forward. Overall I gave him a 6, which might seem high, but I think a 5 would be harsh all things considered.

Anyway, just my opinion, doctors differ an' all that lark!

Just back on 06:30 - Nov 1 with 3944 viewsozranger

Just back on 00:08 - Nov 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Hey man,

I think I'm making allowances for his return from a long lay-off, maybe even subconsciously. I did say that I thought Furlong was an improvement and he may even turn out a better player but he also is on a learning curve so who knows.

I agree about his defensive positioning, though I thought it was better than Wheeler's. I also thought he added something going forward. Overall I gave him a 6, which might seem high, but I think a 5 would be harsh all things considered.

Speaking of that position. When Perch finally comes back, would we have him take that position ahead of Furlong?

I think Cousins has a confidence problem. He did, last night, pull out of some tackles and challenging for the high ball. Thus when Furlong came on there was a marked difference.

Not too sure what the story about all the high balls was. It was ariel ping pong for many periods.

Finally, did anyone else note that Wilder heaped praise on our team?
"Our start wasn't the greatest, with the injury to Jamal and the goal, but I just didn't think we deserved anything. I'm disappointed with my team. We've been out-fought and out-battled and didn't show enough quality. We knew that they were going to press and get at us and we needed to show composure, but we didn't.

"We were also sloppy in the second half of the game. It's not been a good night and ended in a deserved defeat. It's maybe a little reality check. Everybody's received an enormous amount of praise. I thought we took a backward step tonight."
Just back on 07:46 - Nov 1 with 3609 viewsA40Bosh

Just back on 00:08 - Nov 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Hey man,

Yeah Brian, on your summation I was pretty much with your player scoring apart from cousins. Whilst he is obviously still getting back his match fitness, I would have given him no more than 4 last night. I think the Sheff Utd wide men cottoned on to his lack of positional sense early on and they were able to get in behind him way too easily time after time. He also had a habit of turning his back on blocks and not making himself big when closing down. Just don't see him there.

It was good that Furs Jr came on because I had been wondering why Oli was not giving him a run of games and has been using your players as right wing back such as Pav.

Have to say that Baptiste was immense last night again. Perhaps not getting,all the plaudits he now deserves as he builds game time here.

Two great wins and now we have 4 unbeaten. Need to get a run together before Xmas

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Just back on 08:24 - Nov 1 with 3411 viewsRBlock

Just back on 06:30 - Nov 1 by ozranger

Speaking of that position. When Perch finally comes back, would we have him take that position ahead of Furlong?

I think Cousins has a confidence problem. He did, last night, pull out of some tackles and challenging for the high ball. Thus when Furlong came on there was a marked difference.

Not too sure what the story about all the high balls was. It was ariel ping pong for many periods.

Finally, did anyone else note that Wilder heaped praise on our team?
"Our start wasn't the greatest, with the injury to Jamal and the goal, but I just didn't think we deserved anything. I'm disappointed with my team. We've been out-fought and out-battled and didn't show enough quality. We knew that they were going to press and get at us and we needed to show composure, but we didn't.

"We were also sloppy in the second half of the game. It's not been a good night and ended in a deserved defeat. It's maybe a little reality check. Everybody's received an enormous amount of praise. I thought we took a backward step tonight."

To be honest, I still like Wzolek at the RWB position, with Furlong deputising. Perch was always crap down the right. Decent when you get him in the centre of defence or midfield, or even on the left, but always dog toffee when you play him as a RB/RWB.

Cousins looked knackered after the hour, as you'd expect of someone coming back from injury and asked to play 2 games in 4 days.
Just back on 08:46 - Nov 1 with 3287 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Just back on 23:26 - Oct 31 by Hunterhoop

That is fair comment but we shouldn't forget we have a few players out injured ourselves.
Just back on 09:19 - Nov 1 with 3169 viewsstevec

Don't get a programme and búggered if I could read the names or numbers on the shirts but who was that long streak of piss who looked like a 15 year old playing down the middle for them?

Someone who knows this stuff will probably explain he's 32 and failed at Newport County or the like, but his movement and runs with the ball were exceptional.

Have to say, was hugely impressed with Sheffield, wasn't expecting pass and move to that level from League One champions. They'll probably fall short, much like we will, due to their strike force, but both sides very entertaining to watch.

Our midfield 3 do look good, centre backs both excellent last night, Bidwell looking like the player I hoped he'd be. We must be bamboozling the opposition a bit these days, can't work out what's going on out there at times, but it's effective. Even the wing back approach sort of works, even if the wing backs aren't doing a huge amount. Anyway, it's going a lot better than I'd imagined.

Now I know we are skint, I know I mustn't talk about bringing players in, but Tony, and I know I've called you a few names recently, if we are still in the mix come Dec 31st, if there's even a few wads left in your rather well worn pockets, do you think it might stretch to maybe giving us one late Christmas present in the form of a centre forward?
Just back on 09:20 - Nov 1 with 3156 viewsNorthernr

Just back on 09:19 - Nov 1 by stevec

Don't get a programme and búggered if I could read the names or numbers on the shirts but who was that long streak of piss who looked like a 15 year old playing down the middle for them?

Someone who knows this stuff will probably explain he's 32 and failed at Newport County or the like, but his movement and runs with the ball were exceptional.

Have to say, was hugely impressed with Sheffield, wasn't expecting pass and move to that level from League One champions. They'll probably fall short, much like we will, due to their strike force, but both sides very entertaining to watch.

Our midfield 3 do look good, centre backs both excellent last night, Bidwell looking like the player I hoped he'd be. We must be bamboozling the opposition a bit these days, can't work out what's going on out there at times, but it's effective. Even the wing back approach sort of works, even if the wing backs aren't doing a huge amount. Anyway, it's going a lot better than I'd imagined.

Now I know we are skint, I know I mustn't talk about bringing players in, but Tony, and I know I've called you a few names recently, if we are still in the mix come Dec 31st, if there's even a few wads left in your rather well worn pockets, do you think it might stretch to maybe giving us one late Christmas present in the form of a centre forward?

David Brooks. Looks about 11, quality player.
Just back on 09:29 - Nov 1 with 3115 viewswestberksr

Just back on 23:46 - Oct 31 by bosh67

have to agree re Cousins. I thought he was very poor (albeit not in his position). completely outrun with everything they did; give & go, over the top and inside of him; repeatedly. actually lost count of the times he was beaten and relieved to see him subbed as that flank was a danger the whole game.

Furlong immediately looked so much more sure of himself at RWB and another case of square peg in a round hole for me. If that isn't Cousins position then he'll have to wait in turn until there is space for him more centrally but with the 3 we have there at the moment it could be a long wait.
Just back on 09:34 - Nov 1 with 3090 viewsWestbourneR

Just back on 09:19 - Nov 1 by stevec

David Brooks. Looks like he is going to a top player. Pace, movement, touch and eye for a pass - he cut us apart with one from nowhere and presented them with a virtually open goal. Fortunately it fell to Leon Clarke.

As for us. The work rate is phenomenal and Scowen is just relentless, I get tired watching him. I thought everyone did well really and I was pleased to see Wheeler look like he belonged at this level, I was underwhelmed previously.

That said I think the wins are a triumph of perspiration over quality. We need to get much much much better at keeping the ball. As a attacking force we're still quite disjointed and lack quality on the final ball. It says a lot that despite such an energetic performance we won thanks to a freak mistake on their part.

It's all very well winning lots of ball but we've got to use it better. We have to up the creativity and guile if we're going to start winning consistently. For me, Washington is the man to replace.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Just back on 09:45 - Nov 1 with 3040 viewsenfieldargh

Just back on 23:48 - Oct 31 by Watford_Ranger

I thought Sheff U were the best team we''ve [played at home as their passing and ball retention was extremely high

QPR possesion 39% Sheff 61%

BUT & BIG BUT

QPR shots 14 Sheff 3

Well done Rangers not enjoyable to watch due to their possession but when we did get forward we looked dangerous

captains fantastic
Poll: SWEET F'IN CAROLINE. Played every half time

Just back on 09:51 - Nov 1 with 3018 viewsstevec

Just back on 09:34 - Nov 1 by WestbourneR

David Brooks. Looks like he is going to a top player. Pace, movement, touch and eye for a pass - he cut us apart with one from nowhere and presented them with a virtually open goal. Fortunately it fell to Leon Clarke.

As for us. The work rate is phenomenal and Scowen is just relentless, I get tired watching him. I thought everyone did well really and I was pleased to see Wheeler look like he belonged at this level, I was underwhelmed previously.

That said I think the wins are a triumph of perspiration over quality. We need to get much much much better at keeping the ball. As a attacking force we're still quite disjointed and lack quality on the final ball. It says a lot that despite such an energetic performance we won thanks to a freak mistake on their part.

It's all very well winning lots of ball but we've got to use it better. We have to up the creativity and guile if we're going to start winning consistently. For me, Washington is the man to replace.

Thanks for the heads up Clive and Westbourne, Brooks was very impressive.

Agree with what you say about us. I think last night was an unusual game in that both teams closing down fast led to a lot of frantic passing. Washington does try very hard but you just know the ball comes straight back at you. At home you can get away with it, but symptomatic of our poor away form.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024