Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Real State Of Play... 20:57 - Dec 23 with 22848 viewsCleedale

OK, haven't posted for possibly years and haven't actually been to a game for about a year, BUT, used to, quite regularly, even though living a long way away. Home & family together with other 'life stuff' has eaten into the bug I used to have and afraid it isn't the priority in my life it once was. However, it still hurts to see poor results.

So, without rabbiting forever, what's happening? Has the style of play been sussed by opps? Have we no longer the quality for Div 1 where I guess some mighty big budgets exist? Is Div 1 a difficult level to blood youngsters (btw, have seen the opportunities Dale give out in that area)?
Are we panicking yet? (I'd see relegation as something that must be avoided at all costs - well, not ALL costs)!

Or, are we just missing a couple of jigsaw pieces? Obviously a Jonah, Lambert, Dawson etc., I think we all know that Dale have had more than our fair share esp. in the last 10'ish years.
The Real State Of Play. on 18:19 - Dec 26 with 4262 viewsTVOS1907

The Real State Of Play. on 18:02 - Dec 26 by windowsbug

You honestly believe that?

Why not?

He’s done it twice before from lower starting positions..

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The Real State Of Play. on 18:25 - Dec 26 with 4219 viewsYorkshire_Dale

The Real State Of Play. on 18:19 - Dec 26 by TVOS1907

Why not?

He’s done it twice before from lower starting positions..

Forget the comments!.......just mark him down.
The Real State Of Play. on 18:31 - Dec 26 with 4185 viewsTVOS1907

The Real State Of Play. on 18:25 - Dec 26 by Yorkshire_Dale

Forget the comments!.......just mark him down.

The system is there to be used, isn’t it?

The Real State Of Play... on 18:49 - Dec 26 with 4129 viewsBigKindo

So the January transfer window is going to be critical. So whom might we sign? Hogan has been previously mentioned on this board. Pie in the sky? Perhaps. Unloved and not wanted by Bruce he needs to put himself back in the shop window and that isn't going to happen at Villa under Bruce. I overcame insomnia watching Burton v Leeds this afternoon. Jamie Allen did not have the influence on the game he made for Dale but Matty Lund wasn't even on the bench. Ricky Lambert in my opinion retired somewhat prematurely. Could he make a cameo return like Holty and give everybody a boost? And Daggers scored again today for Crewe. Players who had their careers resurrected at Dale. And whom will go out of thedoor on loans? Interesting times.
The Real State Of Play... on 18:56 - Dec 26 with 4095 viewsTVOS1907

The Real State Of Play... on 18:49 - Dec 26 by BigKindo

So the January transfer window is going to be critical. So whom might we sign? Hogan has been previously mentioned on this board. Pie in the sky? Perhaps. Unloved and not wanted by Bruce he needs to put himself back in the shop window and that isn't going to happen at Villa under Bruce. I overcame insomnia watching Burton v Leeds this afternoon. Jamie Allen did not have the influence on the game he made for Dale but Matty Lund wasn't even on the bench. Ricky Lambert in my opinion retired somewhat prematurely. Could he make a cameo return like Holty and give everybody a boost? And Daggers scored again today for Crewe. Players who had their careers resurrected at Dale. And whom will go out of thedoor on loans? Interesting times.

Like someone posted the other day, what’s the obsession with ex-players?

The Real State Of Play... on 19:21 - Dec 26 with 4034 viewsBigKindo

The Real State Of Play... on 18:56 - Dec 26 by TVOS1907

Not an obsession simply trying to bring forward some hope in that in this age of greedy players' agents that some loyalty might appear. Remember Gareth Griffiths appearing on the touchline when we were in previous dire straits? After all in our current league position who (new blood) are we going to attract?
The Real State Of Play... on 20:49 - Dec 26 with 3898 viewswimborne_dale

The real state of play is that only 4 times in 23 league games have we lost by more than the odd goal. A goal difference of -7 is good for our position and better than other teams around us. OK I'm looking for crumbs of comfort I know but I think there is still plenty room for the hope of staying up.

Up The Dale

Edgar Allan's Crow

The Real State Of Play... on 22:29 - Dec 26 with 3782 viewsShun

It's an important point, and our goal difference has been significantly better than our rivals all season. That's because we rarely suffer huge defeats and our games are often down to very fine margins. We aren't particularly playing badly but we are where we are because of these fine margins - stupid mistakes like today or the inability to hold on for 90 minutes like on Saturday. I'm not sure whether that's a positive or not really!
Login to get fewer ads

The Real State Of Play... on 05:47 - Dec 27 with 3640 viewsBazzanne

The Real State Of Play... on 22:29 - Dec 26 by Shun

It's an important point, and our goal difference has been significantly better than our rivals all season. That's because we rarely suffer huge defeats and our games are often down to very fine margins. We aren't particularly playing badly but we are where we are because of these fine margins - stupid mistakes like today or the inability to hold on for 90 minutes like on Saturday. I'm not sure whether that's a positive or not really!

If you think we aren't playing badly you are watching different games to me.
The Real State Of Play... on 07:20 - Dec 27 with 3615 viewsnordenblue

The Real State Of Play... on 05:47 - Dec 27 by Bazzanne

I dont think we played too badly yesterday either just the goals knocked us back, conceding in such ridiculous fashion....... again...
The Real State Of Play... on 09:24 - Dec 27 with 3508 viewsscarrow

The Real State Of Play... on 05:47 - Dec 27 by Bazzanne

Yes performances are very patchy at the moment, it's fine margins though.

Bradford - poor defending and an atrocious penalty costs a point
Oxford - poor finishing cost 2 points
Walsall- poor defending costs 2 points
Yesterday realistically I don't think Blackburn got out of 2nd gear after they scored.

Unfortunately these fine margins add up. The next games are crucial. Donny, Blackpool, Gillingham, Southend, Walsall. All teams who on paper are beatable. A poor run in these and we'll be cut adrift.

There is talent in the squad but it's been misfiring all season, recruitment hasn't been good and too many players are 5% under what they've been doing in previous seasons. That combined with an inability to win away from home is proving very costly.

Poll: Final position

The Real State Of Play... on 14:36 - Dec 27 with 3333 viewsNorthernDale

I agree with most of the comments so far posted, I feel that 4 points from the next two games will keep us in the fight, a failure do so and if the other teams pick up points then it could be the first nail in our coffin. I suspect that there is enough quality in the team to avoid keep us up, and 1 or 2 more signings could make a significant difference to the fight, if they are the right signings, a good CH and a striker.

However KH needs to pick his best starting 11, rather then his favourites and those who hard, but lack any talent. for example why was Nithe picked ahead of Cannon at Blackburn, Cannon as operated at right back before. Sadly as other people have mentioned there are to many league 2 players in the squad and being selected.

if you look at the squad for example
Defence - Brown (conference north standard), Caravan (league 2), McNulty is experienced and can do an okay job, bust he makes too many mistakes at times, Nithe (league 2)
Midfield - Thompson - who I like and applaud his character for overcoming his medical problems, which would have broken most people, but he is at best a league 2 player,
Williams is at present a league 2 player, Inman is a talent, but most of the times is not involved in the games and based on his present performances is league 2 player
Strikers - Andrews is for a big man and should be scoring goals, if Davies was given as many starts, I suspect that he would be in double figures by now, Andrews works hard, but in all honesty is at best a league 2 player, Slew looks conference standard

Yet many of these people are selected before the better players, again Kitching as played well in midfielder, but is ignored and we must wonder why. Again I hope and trust KH will sort out the mess, but KH biggest problem is his downright stubborn character to recognise that players he as trusted are not good enough

As I have said we can still get out the mess with a bit of luck, it is amazing what a good result on Friday will do the teams and fans confidence.
The Real State Of Play... on 15:05 - Dec 27 with 3308 viewsJimmyRustler

The recruitment has been bizarre this year to say the least.

Williams - £100k? Really? Who scouted this lad?

Slew - After Done got injured early on against PBoro at home (I think that was the game), Slew came on and did really well for about 70 minutes. We've barely seen him since (if at all). Why?

Brown - Looked a shocking signing on paper before he kicked a ball and then went straight into the team ahead of Rafferty in the first game of the season? Why? Shite.

Kitching - Played one game on loan, didn't impress and then we sign him permanently a week later. Barely featured since and has looked pretty crap when he has.

Daniels - Signed as a big, commanding centre half but was deployed at RB despite looking largely uncomfortable with the role. Whilst he's showing us what a quality player he is, why does Hill insist on playing players out of position so often?

Cannon - Obviously not a new signing but started off the season fantastically, was dropped with no real explanation and has now disappeared into the ether.

Gillam - Counting him as a 'new' signing because of his promotion into the first team. Has looked impressive and has bagged a few goals, where is he? (I admit that I may have missed the explanation(s) for his omission)

Done - Another player that has been played out of position on a fair few occasions. Short of confidence and has lost a yard of pace but still looks half decent when played centrally. Again, why has the biggest feature of Hill's season so far been square pegs and round holes?

We played well yesterday for the most part and whilst it was a sort of 'free hit', we need to pick up points and fast. Let's hope KK's return is the kick up the arse we need.
The Real State Of Play... on 15:30 - Dec 27 with 3273 viewsnordenblue

The Real State Of Play... on 15:05 - Dec 27 by JimmyRustler

The recruitment has been bizarre this year to say the least.

Williams - £100k? Really? Who scouted this lad?

Slew - After Done got injured early on against PBoro at home (I think that was the game), Slew came on and did really well for about 70 minutes. We've barely seen him since (if at all). Why?

Brown - Looked a shocking signing on paper before he kicked a ball and then went straight into the team ahead of Rafferty in the first game of the season? Why? Shite.

Kitching - Played one game on loan, didn't impress and then we sign him permanently a week later. Barely featured since and has looked pretty crap when he has.

Daniels - Signed as a big, commanding centre half but was deployed at RB despite looking largely uncomfortable with the role. Whilst he's showing us what a quality player he is, why does Hill insist on playing players out of position so often?

Cannon - Obviously not a new signing but started off the season fantastically, was dropped with no real explanation and has now disappeared into the ether.

Gillam - Counting him as a 'new' signing because of his promotion into the first team. Has looked impressive and has bagged a few goals, where is he? (I admit that I may have missed the explanation(s) for his omission)

Done - Another player that has been played out of position on a fair few occasions. Short of confidence and has lost a yard of pace but still looks half decent when played centrally. Again, why has the biggest feature of Hill's season so far been square pegs and round holes?

We played well yesterday for the most part and whilst it was a sort of 'free hit', we need to pick up points and fast. Let's hope KK's return is the kick up the arse we need.

Give Keane the captains armband and watch his performance increase too as well as giving him the position to shout orders around......
The Real State Of Play... on 16:56 - Dec 27 with 3210 viewsdingdangblue

At the end of the day, despite the few doom mongers on here I really don't think we are a million miles from being comfortably mid table. Even looking at the 3 most obvious games we've thrown away this season: Fleetwood away 2-1 up against 10 men. Northampton 2-0 up at home and Walsall 1-0 last Saturday going into the 90th min. Small margins! Those 6 points put us 15th.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2017 17:08]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

The Real State Of Play... on 17:52 - Dec 27 with 3153 viewsBigDaveMyCock

The Real State Of Play... on 18:56 - Dec 26 by TVOS1907

He’s not named the one who is most likely to be coming either, Perkins.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

The Real State Of Play... on 18:29 - Dec 27 with 3110 viewsfrenzied

We are a long way off a mid table side..I’m just hoping there’s 4 worse teams than us come game 46...I see no reason for wholesale changes in Jan ..no ex players please...it’s reminding me of the “ripping yarns” Barnstonworth United scenario!!
The talent is there ,the confidence is shot....I’m no master tactician..I leave Mr Hill and his staff to sort that...let the manager manage,the supporters support,the players play..without fear
The Real State Of Play... on 18:48 - Dec 27 with 3095 viewsTVOS1907

The Real State Of Play... on 17:52 - Dec 27 by BigDaveMyCock

He’s not named the one who is most likely to be coming either, Perkins.

Really?

That rumour was doing the rounds in the summer too.

The Real State Of Play... on 19:17 - Dec 27 with 3040 viewsMoonyDale

The Real State Of Play... on 16:56 - Dec 27 by dingdangblue

At the end of the day, despite the few doom mongers on here I really don't think we are a million miles from being comfortably mid table. Even looking at the 3 most obvious games we've thrown away this season: Fleetwood away 2-1 up against 10 men. Northampton 2-0 up at home and Walsall 1-0 last Saturday going into the 90th min. Small margins! Those 6 points put us 15th.

The point is we didn't get the 6 points and we are not 15th....If that that is doom mongerish then so be it....You don't stay in the division with ifs and buts, we are where we are on merit and we will stay up or go down on merit......Or lack of it.

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

The Real State Of Play... on 20:23 - Dec 27 with 2956 viewsTVOS1907

The Real State Of Play... on 16:56 - Dec 27 by dingdangblue

True, but the other 23 teams will also probably have similar small margins to bemoan.

The Real State Of Play... on 22:01 - Dec 27 with 2853 views49thseason

This is the worst half-season since we came back into L1, we have simply not scored enough goals. Typically we would score 35 in a half season we are a dozen goals short of that target:
Henderson playing too deep, Camps too deep, Davis not on the pitch often enough. Andrew has scored 4 goals in the last 46 games - 1 in 11 is just poor for any forward player. Williams (11) is not up to L1 and Inman doesn't seem to want to do the hard miles defensively. Done needs to play alongside Davis and Henderson where he will get better service and space. Defensively we are OK compared to previous seasons, putting Keane in front of the back four, Rathbone ratting in midfield and Camps as attacking midfield would seem to be the logical solution.
The Real State Of Play... on 08:50 - Dec 28 with 2660 viewsBigDaveMyCock

The Real State Of Play... on 18:48 - Dec 27 by TVOS1907

Really?

That rumour was doing the rounds in the summer too.

Back in for him again, albeit just rumour.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2017 8:51]

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

The Real State Of Play... on 13:35 - Dec 28 with 2457 viewsscarrow

The Real State Of Play... on 08:50 - Dec 28 by BigDaveMyCock

Back in for him again, albeit just rumour.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2017 8:51]

That was being bandied about at Blackburn. Could be a rehashed rumour again. I see bury are going to throw buckets of cash at new players according to club call Keith

Poll: Final position

The Real State Of Play... on 20:11 - Dec 28 with 2243 viewsrochdaleriddler

If we are looking at Perkins , I would be wanting to know if our scouting network actually exists

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

The Real State Of Play... on 20:29 - Dec 28 with 2217 viewsD_Alien

The Real State Of Play... on 20:11 - Dec 28 by rochdaleriddler

If we are looking at Perkins , I would be wanting to know if our scouting network actually exists

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024