Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Real State Of Play... 20:57 - Dec 23 with 22850 viewsCleedale

OK, haven't posted for possibly years and haven't actually been to a game for about a year, BUT, used to, quite regularly, even though living a long way away. Home & family together with other 'life stuff' has eaten into the bug I used to have and afraid it isn't the priority in my life it once was. However, it still hurts to see poor results.

So, without rabbiting forever, what's happening? Has the style of play been sussed by opps? Have we no longer the quality for Div 1 where I guess some mighty big budgets exist? Is Div 1 a difficult level to blood youngsters (btw, have seen the opportunities Dale give out in that area)?
Are we panicking yet? (I'd see relegation as something that must be avoided at all costs - well, not ALL costs)!

Or, are we just missing a couple of jigsaw pieces? Obviously a Jonah, Lambert, Dawson etc., I think we all know that Dale have had more than our fair share esp. in the last 10'ish years.
The Real State Of Play... on 11:01 - Dec 24 with 3340 viewspioneer

Anyone struggling with the irony of our current predicament occurring at the same time as our financial position being the strongest it has been for a very long time. That is perhaps the most frustrating part of it all.
The Real State Of Play... on 11:02 - Dec 24 with 3331 views442Dale

The Real State Of Play... on 10:44 - Dec 24 by 1907

That was not an over reaction in the slightest.

What I witnessed yesterday was shockingly bad. A guy that sat next to me was attending his first game of the season as he moved down south. He was speechless about how bad we are. He genuinely couldn’t believe how far we had regressed.

We are in dire straights.

Don't think anyone is is missing how serious it is now and that we're playing badly, it was about the extremes some go to to make that point. One last minute goal has led to that extremity, because even though the performance wasn't great a win would have seen a different tone. Not that such a win should or would have glossed over the deficiencies that need addressing.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

The Real State Of Play... on 11:05 - Dec 24 with 3327 viewsmidlandsdale

Is the issue that the manager no longer feels any pressure for his position having signed such a long contract. I am not suggesting that he doesn't care or want to win but that subconsciously he has lost that edge. I look at his post match conference yesterday, and he hardly seems like a man under stress or whose team sit second bottom of the league.
The Real State Of Play... on 11:17 - Dec 24 with 3299 viewsborodale

The Real State Of Play... on 11:05 - Dec 24 by midlandsdale

Is the issue that the manager no longer feels any pressure for his position having signed such a long contract. I am not suggesting that he doesn't care or want to win but that subconsciously he has lost that edge. I look at his post match conference yesterday, and he hardly seems like a man under stress or whose team sit second bottom of the league.

Agreed this team doesn't have the characteristics of a Keith Hill team,the drive and passion is not there.
The Real State Of Play... on 11:43 - Dec 24 with 3250 viewsHuddersdale1

He was self critical of his post match conference after the Bradford game when he did appear under stress, so he was probably making sure he didn't repeat that yesterday
The Real State Of Play... on 11:49 - Dec 24 with 3241 viewsYouTubeDale

Keith is deliberately putting out a relaxed demeanour in order to calm the squad. He said that we played with a lot of nervousness in the first half and we need to rid ourselves of that. He is trying his best to manage the psychological part of our game. Of course he is hurting. After the Bradford game he lost it, and realised that wasn’t helpful to the team or his own health. He is really tuned into helping the players ride the storm off the pitch so giving us every chance on the pitch. Those teams who can win this mental battle are the ones more likely to avoid the trap door.
If we can get another Gary Jones on the pitch and in the dressing room that would help Keith out greatly. We all know that it would be difficult for Rochdale to get a Gary Jones.
I am sure the Board will back Hill to splash some cash, aided by players going out on loan. Our scouting network should be at full throttle at the moment, then we rely on Keith to make that final decision to recruit. Joey T’s return and Keano’s return are big pluses, but we still need a couple more.

Fine margins yet again yesterday. And that is underlined by looking at our goal difference. By far the best in the bottom four. That has got to give us a lot of hope. We are far from hopeless, we have a great manager, finances, foundation of a decent squad but we just need a bit of tinkering here and there.

Trust Keith with his magic.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

The Real State Of Play... on 12:15 - Dec 24 with 3216 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

The Real State Of Play... on 11:49 - Dec 24 by YouTubeDale

Keith is deliberately putting out a relaxed demeanour in order to calm the squad. He said that we played with a lot of nervousness in the first half and we need to rid ourselves of that. He is trying his best to manage the psychological part of our game. Of course he is hurting. After the Bradford game he lost it, and realised that wasn’t helpful to the team or his own health. He is really tuned into helping the players ride the storm off the pitch so giving us every chance on the pitch. Those teams who can win this mental battle are the ones more likely to avoid the trap door.
If we can get another Gary Jones on the pitch and in the dressing room that would help Keith out greatly. We all know that it would be difficult for Rochdale to get a Gary Jones.
I am sure the Board will back Hill to splash some cash, aided by players going out on loan. Our scouting network should be at full throttle at the moment, then we rely on Keith to make that final decision to recruit. Joey T’s return and Keano’s return are big pluses, but we still need a couple more.

Fine margins yet again yesterday. And that is underlined by looking at our goal difference. By far the best in the bottom four. That has got to give us a lot of hope. We are far from hopeless, we have a great manager, finances, foundation of a decent squad but we just need a bit of tinkering here and there.

Trust Keith with his magic.

I love your optimism regarding backing KH to sign a quality midfielder, however the board are more likely to sanction the sale of Camps!

I hope when Keano is back Hilly gives the 3 CH;'s and Wing Backs another go, but with Done as LWB as Bunney really needs to be rested. This would then allow Hendo to play off Calvin.

We need to find a system and quick, then stick to it, as yesterday questioned what the players and staff had been doing on the training ground all week.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

The Real State Of Play... on 12:34 - Dec 24 with 3189 views1907

Hearing rumours that we are signing a highly rated young striker on loan from Fulham
Login to get fewer ads

The Real State Of Play... on 12:37 - Dec 24 with 3184 viewskiwidale

The Real State Of Play... on 09:01 - Dec 24 by Iknoweverything

How do you know if it’s an overreaction? By your own admission you haven’t seen us play, so you can’t really have a valid opinion either way. You don’t know who is playing well, who isn’t, what formations work and what don’t, because you haven’t fookin’ seen them. All you have to go on is the opinion of others. Others who have seen us play. Therefore it’s their opinions that warrant listening to, not yours. You’re welcome. Merry Christmas.

Of course I can have an opinion. Whether my opinion carries as much weight as yours or others who watch week in week out is open for debate. I haven't watched Dale since 1977, that does not mean that in my opinion Hill is the best manager we have ever had or that currently we are struggling or that Bazzanne's post is a massive over reaction and just not true isn't valid or allowed. Merry Christmas to you.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2017 12:58]

This is not the time for bickering.

The Real State Of Play... on 12:42 - Dec 24 with 3177 viewsNorthernDale

I feel that Keith Hill is making the same mistakes Coleman is, in that he is picking players who are his favourites or who work hard, rather then the more talented players. This as meant that we have team formations that do not work, if you look at the number of games we have drawn it is now 10 games, which twice as many as the other teams in the bottom half, all because KH cannot decide on the best formation which includes the teams best players. The other week we operated with 5 at the back and looked good, yesterday we had a 4-3-3 formation and looked shocking. I am not suggesting that KH should be sacked, far from it, but he needs stopping being stubborn and start picking people like Davis, Keane, Cannon and even Kitching for example , instead of experimenting with Williams who was so ineffectual yesterday, then he brings on the modern version of Mark Gavin, Brad Inman, who is a player who has talent, but does not always perform and is a luxury player, who we cannot afford in our situation. It sis the same with Slew, I believe his short-term contract expires in January and I cannot see it being extended, in truth the squad contains too many league 2 or conference standard players.

We are in a serious and dangerous position, which can be reversed with a couple of wins, but KH must realise that draws are not good enough and that he must pick the best attacking team, rather then the most defensive team, because we are better when we attack.

I agree with the team stated in a previous post
Lillis
Rafferty McGahey Daniels Bunney
Keane
Cannon Camps Rathbone
Done/Davies Henderson

Subs
Moore, Andrews, Done/Davies, Kitching, McNulty, Inman, Williams
The Real State Of Play... on 12:44 - Dec 24 with 3165 views442Dale

The Real State Of Play... on 12:34 - Dec 24 by 1907

Hearing rumours that we are signing a highly rated young striker on loan from Fulham

How do these rumours get out?!

The Real State Of Play... on 12:53 - Dec 24 with 3155 viewskiwidale

The Real State Of Play... on 10:44 - Dec 24 by 1907

That was not an over reaction in the slightest.

What I witnessed yesterday was shockingly bad. A guy that sat next to me was attending his first game of the season as he moved down south. He was speechless about how bad we are. He genuinely couldn’t believe how far we had regressed.

We are in dire straights.

So you don't think

"The defence is dismal, the midfield is woeful and the attack is nonexistent. I can't think of one player that I would be sorry see leave, they could all go for me"

isn't an over reaction? how about knee jerk? or a tad pessimistic?

This is not the time for bickering.

The Real State Of Play... on 13:00 - Dec 24 with 3138 viewsIknoweverything

The Real State Of Play... on 12:44 - Dec 24 by 442Dale

How do these rumours get out?!

Because people at the club trusted with sensitive information think it makes them look all big and important when they tell supporters over a pint of San Miguel at full time.
The Real State Of Play... on 22:53 - Dec 24 with 2938 viewsBazzanne

The Real State Of Play... on 12:53 - Dec 24 by kiwidale

So you don't think

"The defence is dismal, the midfield is woeful and the attack is nonexistent. I can't think of one player that I would be sorry see leave, they could all go for me"

isn't an over reaction? how about knee jerk? or a tad pessimistic?

My post was not a reaction to Saturdays match as some seem to think, but my assessment of the season so far. If you don't think it's dismal take of your rose tinted glasses.
The Real State Of Play... on 23:05 - Dec 24 with 2925 views442Dale

The Real State Of Play... on 22:53 - Dec 24 by Bazzanne

My post was not a reaction to Saturdays match as some seem to think, but my assessment of the season so far. If you don't think it's dismal take of your rose tinted glasses.

The season has been disappointing, nobody is doubting that, and while anyone is entitled to an opinion it would be fair to say that statements like "I can't think of one player that I would be sorry see leave" are going to be challenged.

We've got good footballers in the squad, they've illustrated that previously. However, they need to improve this season though and, crucially, their manager needs to recognise what is required to get us out of the current situation and sort it. Hopefully he and they will.

The Real State Of Play... on 01:54 - Dec 25 with 2845 viewsBazzanne

The Real State Of Play... on 23:05 - Dec 24 by 442Dale

The season has been disappointing, nobody is doubting that, and while anyone is entitled to an opinion it would be fair to say that statements like "I can't think of one player that I would be sorry see leave" are going to be challenged.

We've got good footballers in the squad, they've illustrated that previously. However, they need to improve this season though and, crucially, their manager needs to recognise what is required to get us out of the current situation and sort it. Hopefully he and they will.

So you are judging players on past performances, not on this season. On that principal no player would ever leave. Done would be playing like he did previously. Hendo would be banging 'em in for fun. Some do get past their use by date.
The Real State Of Play... on 06:47 - Dec 25 with 2797 viewsnordenblue

The Real State Of Play... on 01:54 - Dec 25 by Bazzanne

So you are judging players on past performances, not on this season. On that principal no player would ever leave. Done would be playing like he did previously. Hendo would be banging 'em in for fun. Some do get past their use by date.

No you judge players on what they have done during their time with us too,knowing their full potential,all the players who've turned in quality consistent performances for the team only months ago are suddenly not poor players past their "use by date"
The Real State Of Play... on 07:59 - Dec 25 with 2767 views442Dale

Using the two players you mentioned as an example: Done has done ok when played centrally and has scored when playing in that role - it's not his fault the manager decides to employ him elsewhere. He might as well not be playing unless he's centre forward, though it was suggested he could play left wingback, that's an option.

Henderson in midfield is one of the big frustrations over the last two seasons. It doesn't suit the player or the team. Despite that he's still getting goals and if he too was played up front, we might be better off. A front two of him and Done hasn't even been tried so far this campaign.

I'm judging players within the squad on their ability to produce moving forward. If I was to think they're all not good enough all of a sudden then I'd accuse myself of overreacting because to replace an entire squad is not only unrealistic, it's impossible. We are where we are, we need to get better.

The Real State Of Play... on 08:57 - Dec 25 with 2720 viewsTVOS1907

Henderson has scored 10 goals this season, which isn’t too bad considering his and the team’s form and the role he’s been asked to play at times.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

The Real State Of Play... on 12:39 - Dec 25 with 2602 viewssoulboy

Firstly id like to wish Dale fans everywhere a happy Christmas and a great 2018. Thats the trivia out of the way, now the important stuff, The Dale. I expected to see a couple of 'Hill out' comments on here as there were in November after defeats at Oldham and Charlton, but thankfully it seems common sense is prevailing. A couple of weeks ago one of our problems was the centre of defence, but despite a winless run of 3 league games, Daniels is a great improvement on JM who is at best IMO a squad player. The absence of Keane has had a huge impact on the team and results, not only is he a great reader of the game he also gives a calm, steadying influence to those around him, particularly the younger players. Up to now, 26 players have played in the league for us, if Hilly uses the window then that could easily increase to 30+, which is staggering. The summer signings have been extremely disappointing, with the exception of Inman who is improving. I include Matty Done as a disappointment, but it was right to bring him back as we all know he's capable of scoring goals, a bit more composure and luck in front of goal and he'll be scoring regularly.
Looking back to Saturdays awful performance (in the first half especially), we were seconds away from 3 points, had CA put his chance away when it was 1 0, i doubt Walsall would have come back. On the other side of the coin, you couldnt make up the last two minutes against Doncaster. Those 3 points may be crucial. We need to show Blackburn we're a better team than the one they played in September and an away win is long overdue. Lets really get behind the lads at Ewood and wipe that constant beam from Mowbrays face!
The Real State Of Play... on 13:17 - Dec 25 with 2565 views49thseason

from soccerstats.com:
This season in the league :
77% of Rochdale's points have been earned at home. Rochdale have failed to win in their last 11 away matches. Rochdale have scored in each of their last 5 away matches. 31% of Rochdale's conceded goals occurred after the 75th minute.

Merry Christmas!
The Real State Of Play... on 14:48 - Dec 25 with 2482 viewsmidlandsdale

The Real State Of Play... on 08:57 - Dec 25 by TVOS1907

Henderson has scored 10 goals this season, which isn’t too bad considering his and the team’s form and the role he’s been asked to play at times.

Its a very good return indeed but the team sadly looks the worst its ever been under Hill
The Real State Of Play... on 04:37 - Dec 26 with 2239 viewsNewbury_Dale

In respect to our recruitment, the general standard seems to have really declined since David Flitcroft left the club. Could there be a genuine link here ?
The Real State Of Play... on 07:43 - Dec 26 with 2200 viewsscarrow

The Real State Of Play... on 04:37 - Dec 26 by Newbury_Dale

In respect to our recruitment, the general standard seems to have really declined since David Flitcroft left the club. Could there be a genuine link here ?

Because Flitcroft has done wonders with recruitment at Swindon. Flitcroft has been gone for years, sorry I disagree completely.

Summer 17 was by the far the worst for recruitment yes but previous years have done alright.

Poll: Final position

The Real State Of Play... on 07:55 - Dec 26 with 2199 viewsEllDale

Flitcroft has been gone since 2011. Was he instrumental in signing players like Jon Shaw when he was here?

Since then, in the second Hill era, we have recruited people like Ian Henderson, Michael Rose, Scott Hogan (for a second time), Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Matty Lund, Harrison McGahey, Ashley Eastham, Ollie Rathbone and Peter Vincenti and seen Academy players like Jamie Allen, Callum Camps and Andy Cannon come through to the first team. Nothing wrong with the recruitment there.

I heard a remark over the weekend that made me laugh where someone said that Hilly was turning into Jurgen Klopp!

Basically everyone agrees that the Liverpool defence needs sorting out and that they need a holding midfielder to shield the back four. The manager is seemingly oblivious to this though and carries on regardless........
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024