Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tourism and Trains 14:43 - Jan 21 with 5060 viewsBoston

Who the fck uses the word tube? I never did, my mates never did, it was always the Underground. I’m sure back in WW2 that may have been the common description for this means of travel but, like ‘bobbies on bicycles, two by two’, it’s ancient history. Back me up or re-educate, I’m forever telling North American tourists that the word ‘tooob’ went down with the Ark.
[Post edited 21 Jan 2020 14:44]

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Tourism and Trains on 18:50 - Jan 22 with 932 viewsBoston

Tourism and Trains on 15:31 - Jan 21 by smegma

Do you eat zuchini??

Just thought....do you eat courgette’s or marrows?

Tourism and Trains on 19:38 - Jan 22 with 905 viewsjohncharles

It’s the Tube. Lots of big cities have underground railways but only Lardan’s got the Choob

Strong and stable my arse.

Tourism and Trains on 19:56 - Jan 22 with 893 viewssmegma

Tourism and Trains on 13:39 - Jan 22 by Mick_S

The longest distance between stations is on the Metropolitan line from Chesham to Chalfont & Latimer: a total of only 3.89 miles.

A pedant writes :

Splitting hairs I know but Hammersmith to Acton Town on the Piccadilly Line is 4 miles in distance as Snipper will tell you.
Tourism and Trains on 20:11 - Jan 22 with 879 viewsKonk

Tourism and Trains on 19:56 - Jan 22 by smegma

A pedant writes :

Splitting hairs I know but Hammersmith to Acton Town on the Piccadilly Line is 4 miles in distance as Snipper will tell you.

So that's further than Manor House to Turnpike Lane... Does this mean that the distance between these two stations is in fact just the longest distance between two underground tube stations? Have I had it wrong all these years? Was my Dad simply wrong, or did he know he was spreading misinformation?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Tourism and Trains on 20:26 - Jan 22 with 866 viewsdezzar

Tourism and Trains on 17:05 - Jan 22 by Boston

Bit abstract there, but yes the Holland Tunnel is a tube.

That building behind Jools and Paula was the Rose and Crown, proper old style boozer with a legendary manager, now sadly a car park
Tourism and Trains on 21:22 - Jan 22 with 843 viewshubble

A pedant writes :

Although a pedant might add that the Piccadilly line passes through (and occasionally stops at) Turnham Green on the way to Acton Town from Hammersmith, as well as passing through Ravenscourt Park, Stamford Brook and Chiswick Park. There are no stations between Chesham and Chalfont & Latimer - so strictly speaking, that is the longest distance between stations. Between stops is a different matter.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Tourism and Trains on 22:04 - Jan 22 with 819 viewscolinallcars

Is Goldhawk Rd to Shepherds Bush the shortest distance between stations, if not it must be one of the shortest. Can't imagine it being on that old TV programme Great Train Journeys Of The World.
Tourism and Trains on 22:11 - Jan 22 with 812 viewsA40Bosh

Tourism and Trains on 22:04 - Jan 22 by colinallcars

Is Goldhawk Rd to Shepherds Bush the shortest distance between stations, if not it must be one of the shortest. Can't imagine it being on that old TV programme Great Train Journeys Of The World.

No, I think it is on the Piccadilly line between two west end stations in town from memory

edit: Leicester Square and Covent Garden apparently
[Post edited 22 Jan 2020 22:12]

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Login to get fewer ads

Tourism and Trains on 22:14 - Jan 22 with 799 viewssmegma

Tourism and Trains on 22:04 - Jan 22 by colinallcars

the shortest station to station journey is Leicester Square and Covent Garden which is 22 seconds. You'd think Shepherds Bush Market to Wood Lane would be or Wood Lane to Latimer Road.
Tourism and Trains on 22:26 - Jan 22 with 782 viewsA40Bosh

Tourism and Trains on 22:14 - Jan 22 by smegma

the shortest station to station journey is Leicester Square and Covent Garden which is 22 seconds. You'd think Shepherds Bush Market to Wood Lane would be or Wood Lane to Latimer Road.

I suppose they are measuring distance from the end of one platform to the start of the next one which is not obvious at street level.

They are building a new exit for Tottenham Court Road for Crossrail and that comes out down the road at the top of Dean St.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Tourism and Trains on 22:29 - Jan 22 with 779 viewssmegma

Tourism and Trains on 22:26 - Jan 22 by A40Bosh

I suppose they are measuring distance from the end of one platform to the start of the next one which is not obvious at street level.

They are building a new exit for Tottenham Court Road for Crossrail and that comes out down the road at the top of Dean St.

It's measured from the time the train leaves one platform and stops at the next station platform.
Tourism and Trains on 08:00 - Jan 23 with 725 viewsWokingR

Tourism and Trains on 22:29 - Jan 22 by smegma

It's measured from the time the train leaves one platform and stops at the next station platform.

Surely that's an opportunity for some competitive driver to put his foot down a bit and claim a new record ?
Tourism and Trains on 09:27 - Jan 23 with 702 views1MoreBrightonR

Presume the DLR isnt classified as the tube? Because then Heron Quay and Canary Wharf must be the closest stations. They are about 50m apart...about the distance of a train. Its nuts.
Tourism and Trains on 09:32 - Jan 23 with 699 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Tourism and Trains on 20:11 - Jan 22 by Konk

So that's further than Manor House to Turnpike Lane... Does this mean that the distance between these two stations is in fact just the longest distance between two underground tube stations? Have I had it wrong all these years? Was my Dad simply wrong, or did he know he was spreading misinformation?

Fake News Konk
Tourism and Trains on 09:44 - Jan 23 with 693 viewsKonk

Tourism and Trains on 09:32 - Jan 23 by CroydonCaptJack

Fake News Konk

The lying sh it. Is he even my Dad? Did he really swim across the Atlantic or was that a fu cking lie too? Right, before I dismiss my entire life to date as a massive fu cking sham, I probably owe it to him to do a bit of research of my own. I'll report back my findings.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 9:45]

Tourism and Trains on 11:35 - Jan 23 with 660 viewsMick_S

Tourism and Trains on 08:00 - Jan 23 by WokingR

Surely that's an opportunity for some competitive driver to put his foot down a bit and claim a new record ?

Trains achieve speeds of nearly 60 mph on some sections of the Metroplitan Line. Like 58 or something.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Tourism and Trains on 11:40 - Jan 23 with 655 viewsKonk

Tourism and Trains on 09:44 - Jan 23 by Konk

The lying sh it. Is he even my Dad? Did he really swim across the Atlantic or was that a fu cking lie too? Right, before I dismiss my entire life to date as a massive fu cking sham, I probably owe it to him to do a bit of research of my own. I'll report back my findings.
[Post edited 23 Jan 2020 9:45]

I can't find anything online about the distance between Manor House and Turnpike Lane being the longest between two underground tube stations in London. Nothing. So I phoned my Dad, who is denying everything, claiming I made the whole thing up and challenging me to produce evidence. He's probably right - I reckon that as a young kid, I've asked why it takes so long to get from MH to TPL and he's explained about the missing station (which he confirmed), but then I've got it stuck in my head that it's a noteworthy distance between the two stations. On the plus side, the walk from either station to the Salisbury pub will now seem shorter.

Tourism and Trains on 11:47 - Jan 23 with 644 viewsMick_S

Many years ago I was on my way to College. Train stops between London Bridge and Bank. 5 year old kid asks his mum why the train has stopped. Mum replies that there must be a red light. Train doesn't move and the kid asks the same question. Mum says there is another train in the station. Kid asks mum again as there still is no movement, mum says the driver may be going to the toilet. Kid looks at mum and says"Mum, stop fcking about will you?"

Tourism and Trains on 11:50 - Jan 23 with 639 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

A pedant writes :

Is Turnham Green not a Piccadilly line station?

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Tourism and Trains on 11:57 - Jan 23 with 627 viewsSnipper

A pedant writes :

I love it when you’ve got a clear road between those stations. Some of the punters on the District platforms are willing you to stop as they have to change to the Picc at either Acton Town or Hammersmith.
Tourism and Trains on 12:00 - Jan 23 with 620 viewsMick_S

How long is it between Wembley Park and Finchley Road? That goes on for ever.

Tourism and Trains on 12:02 - Jan 23 with 615 viewsSnipper

Tourism and Trains on 11:35 - Jan 23 by Mick_S

Trains achieve speeds of nearly 60 mph on some sections of the Metroplitan Line. Like 58 or something.

On the Picc the speed limit is 45mph. There are places when you can get exceed this though, albeit illegally. Between Oakwood and Southgate, if you go full pelt, you’re off the speedo, and that’s 60mph.

Don’t get caught doing it though :-)).
Tourism and Trains on 12:03 - Jan 23 with 612 viewsTacticalR

Air hostess clique

Tourism and Trains on 15:26 - Jan 23 with 555 viewsBoston

Tourism and Trains on 12:00 - Jan 23 by Mick_S

How long is it between Wembley Park and Finchley Road? That goes on for ever.

According to my one Kodak, two Kodak methodology of seconds to mph...4 miles.

Tourism and Trains on 16:03 - Jan 23 with 527 viewsStraightR

Tourism and Trains on 22:57 - Jan 21 by colinallcars

I remember an underground driver telling me this little rhyme:

The guard is the man
Who sits in the van
The van's at the back of the train.
The driver up front
Thinks the guard is a c**t
And the guard thinks the driver's the same.

I liked that so much I shared it with a mate who is a driver with the (awful) South West Rail. He reckons it's pretty accurate. He also added that the one thing the guard and the driver agree on is that all the other people on the train are c***s.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024