Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Former players 19:56 - Aug 23 with 3935 viewsEllDale

Really looking forward to seeing so many former players on Friday to celebrate a landmark birthday.
Is there a formal players association?
And I wonder if any former managers have been invited eg Keith Hill, Steve Parkin?
Former players on 20:14 - Aug 23 with 3885 viewsTVOS1907

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2021/08/former-players-wanted/

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Former players on 21:25 - Aug 23 with 3710 viewspioneer

Former players on 20:14 - Aug 23 by TVOS1907

https://www.daletrust.co.uk/2021/08/former-players-wanted/

There was a thriving former players association back in the 1970s/80s.

I remember Walter Birch, Stan Milburn and several others, who were regular participants…and Steve Melledew soon became part of it after he retired.
Former players on 21:45 - Aug 23 with 3666 viewsRAFCBLUE

Former players on 21:25 - Aug 23 by pioneer

There was a thriving former players association back in the 1970s/80s.

I remember Walter Birch, Stan Milburn and several others, who were regular participants…and Steve Melledew soon became part of it after he retired.

Do was have such a thing as a former players register?

I'd love to know how many players had represented us over the years, must run into the the 1000's.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Former players on 21:53 - Aug 23 with 3641 viewsboromat

Looks like a great initiative to have a new former players association. It feels like a win win where the players get the recognition and the club gets the extra publicity in terms of fan engagement.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Former players on 21:59 - Aug 23 with 3630 viewsTVOS1907

Former players on 21:45 - Aug 23 by RAFCBLUE

Do was have such a thing as a former players register?

I'd love to know how many players had represented us over the years, must run into the the 1000's.

On Saturday, Jeriel Dorsett became the 1345th player to make a first team appearance for the club.

Former players on 22:05 - Aug 23 with 3609 viewsNewbury_Dale

Would be fantastic to see Mark Stuart, Alan Reeves and Jason Peake back at Spotland.
Former players on 22:07 - Aug 23 with 3605 viewsRAFCBLUE

Former players on 21:59 - Aug 23 by TVOS1907

On Saturday, Jeriel Dorsett became the 1345th player to make a first team appearance for the club.

Thanks TVOS - I knew you'd know the answer!

Do we have a register of 1 to 1345?

Many will be sadly deceased but there must be 300-400 players alive would be able to be in the former players association if we were able to track them down?

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Former players on 22:22 - Aug 23 with 3552 viewsD_Alien

The ones i'm looking forward to seeing are from the 68/69 promotion team, Billy Rudd & Dennis Butler

Must be in their late 70s/early 80s now. When they're stood on the pitch, i hope the memories of the great goals they scored come flooding back, Butler in particular but Rudd will need to take care he doesn't trip up if he enters the penalty area...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Former players on 22:25 - Aug 23 with 3536 viewsTVOS1907

Former players on 22:07 - Aug 23 by RAFCBLUE

Thanks TVOS - I knew you'd know the answer!

Do we have a register of 1 to 1345?

Many will be sadly deceased but there must be 300-400 players alive would be able to be in the former players association if we were able to track them down?

I've got a list, but as per my earlier link, it's something Keith Hicks and the Trust are arranging. I've got enough things to do.

Former players on 22:27 - Aug 23 with 3520 viewsTVOS1907

Former players on 22:22 - Aug 23 by D_Alien

The ones i'm looking forward to seeing are from the 68/69 promotion team, Billy Rudd & Dennis Butler

Must be in their late 70s/early 80s now. When they're stood on the pitch, i hope the memories of the great goals they scored come flooding back, Butler in particular but Rudd will need to take care he doesn't trip up if he enters the penalty area...

Last time I saw Butler was in the Fence Gate pub/restaurant at, erm, Fence.

I was on a retirement do (not mine) and he walked in with his wife, so I went over for a brief chat. Nice bloke.

Former players on 22:33 - Aug 23 with 3503 viewsEllDale

Both were back for the final game of the season against Southend in 2019 along with Vinny Leech and Steve Melledew among others.
How good would they have all been on the present pitch?!
Former players on 22:35 - Aug 23 with 3496 viewsD_Alien

Former players on 22:27 - Aug 23 by TVOS1907

Last time I saw Butler was in the Fence Gate pub/restaurant at, erm, Fence.

I was on a retirement do (not mine) and he walked in with his wife, so I went over for a brief chat. Nice bloke.

Did he approach the pub with a mazy run before blasting a ball under the Bar?

That's what he used to do when faced with de fence..

Okay, coat on, i'm outtahere

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Former players on 22:36 - Aug 23 with 3488 viewsEllDale

Used to see him regularly when he ran the post office on War Office Road.
Always ready for a chat when it was quiet.
Former players on 22:39 - Aug 23 with 3466 viewsTVOS1907

Former players on 22:35 - Aug 23 by D_Alien

Did he approach the pub with a mazy run before blasting a ball under the Bar?

That's what he used to do when faced with de fence..

Okay, coat on, i'm outtahere

Probably

not

Former players on 01:18 - Aug 24 with 3283 viewspioneer

Former players on 22:22 - Aug 23 by D_Alien

Billy will be 80 in December and Dennis is 78.
Former players on 08:04 - Aug 24 with 3122 viewsNorthernDale

I would like to see Steve Taylor and David Thompson, I wonder if Hendo will make a guest appearance?
Former players on 09:40 - Aug 24 with 2983 viewsjonahwhereru

Former players on 08:04 - Aug 24 by NorthernDale

I would like to see Steve Taylor and David Thompson, I wonder if Hendo will make a guest appearance?

After his recent family tragedy it is good to see that Joe T is due to turn up. The amount of resolve he has which enables him not to hide away is a great testament to him.
Former players on 10:23 - Aug 24 with 2901 viewshowy10

Got to agree DA, Dennis Butler, a left wing man who scored like a centre forward!
A shot on him almost as powerful as Reg Jenkins!
Former players on 10:27 - Aug 24 with 2885 viewsDaleiLama

Former players on 09:40 - Aug 24 by jonahwhereru

After his recent family tragedy it is good to see that Joe T is due to turn up. The amount of resolve he has which enables him not to hide away is a great testament to him.

Not a dig at you, but he has absolutely no reason to hide away. He's a human-legend and a Dale legend after what he's achieved. He deserves every good thing that can ever happen to him in the future, and if part of the healing path he is on is to take the adulation and appreciation of the Spotland faithful, good on him I say. I already know you agree with that.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Former players on 11:12 - Aug 24 with 2818 viewspioneer

Former players on 10:23 - Aug 24 by howy10

Got to agree DA, Dennis Butler, a left wing man who scored like a centre forward!
A shot on him almost as powerful as Reg Jenkins!

Scored an unforgettable hat trick on boxing day 1970 at Halifax.Halifax were a great team that season and finished third (in the days when only top two got promoted).

Two weeks later Dennis scored the winner as we knocked Coventry out of the Cup.
Former players on 13:11 - Aug 24 with 2675 views14bowlers

so sad to hear of the death of Ray Aspden. Probably one of the best centre halves this club has seen. I was lucky to see him play, a very hard but fair player.
Former players on 14:15 - Aug 24 with 2580 views49thseason

Sad news, Ray was an absolute stalwart defender. He was also an an occasional Sandy Lane Ender, but I haven't noticed him there for a few seasons. I guess there can' be many of the League Cup Final team left now?
Burgin, Milburn Winton, Bodell, Aspden, Hepton, Thompson, Wragg, Bimpson, Cairns, Whittaker
Former players on 17:03 - Aug 24 with 2441 views14bowlers

Former players on 14:15 - Aug 24 by 49thseason

Sad news, Ray was an absolute stalwart defender. He was also an an occasional Sandy Lane Ender, but I haven't noticed him there for a few seasons. I guess there can' be many of the League Cup Final team left now?
Burgin, Milburn Winton, Bodell, Aspden, Hepton, Thompson, Wragg, Bimpson, Cairns, Whittaker

He was, over the past few years, a very competent crown green bowler. playing for broadfield park. I was fortunate to play him a couple of years ago, and he played extreemly well. RIP Ray.
Former players on 20:17 - Aug 24 with 2327 viewspioneer

Former players on 17:03 - Aug 24 by 14bowlers

He was, over the past few years, a very competent crown green bowler. playing for broadfield park. I was fortunate to play him a couple of years ago, and he played extreemly well. RIP Ray.

Had to retire from an injury in 1966 having played 297 league games, the club record at the time. It would have been 299 but the two games he played against Accrington in 1961-2 were deleted from records when Accrington withdrew from theleague mid season.
Former players on 23:08 - Aug 24 with 2199 viewsYadHoDale

Former players on 14:15 - Aug 24 by 49thseason

Per Wikipedia (so may not be 100% accurate), Norman Bodell, Jimmy Thompson, Louis Bimpson and Peter Whyke (who played in the second leg) are still with us.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024