Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH 09:38 - Oct 21 with 15194 viewsNotLoyal

Swansea City are on a roll, scoring goals and entertaining the fans. This Saturday the swans travel to Birmingham. Its not in the north, it’s in the midlands, where Baz lives.

Away Fans Guide
It is best to drink in the city centre and get a taxi to the ground (about £9). If you are walking to the ground from the city centre, then you may care to stop at the Anchor Pub on Bradford Street, renowned for its range of real ales on offer. Although there are a number of Blues fans that frequent the pub they tend to be of the CAMRA bearded variety and therefore as long as you don't turn up mobbed handed, you should be okay. The pub is situated just behind Birmingham Coach Station. Going on further towards the ground then you are likely to pass the Old Crown, on Digbeth High Street, which apart from being Birmingham's oldest building, is also a pub which normally allows in away fans. Also in the same area is the DigBrew Company who are based on River Street (B5 5SA) and are open on Saturdays from 12noon. This brewery which is located in an old industrial unit has a bar inside and is welcoming to visiting supporters. Although basic inside, the beer (both real ale and craft) is good and the brewery is around a 15 minute walk away from the visitor's turnstiles (going in the general direction of the city centre)

If you coming by train, or decide to drink in the city centre beforehand, then if you like your real ale, then you can't do much better than visiting the Wellington Pub on Bennetts Hill. With 16 real ales on tap, including 12 guest ales, this is somewhat of a mecca for real ale drinkers. Also on Bennetts Hill, there is the 'Sun On The Hill' pub, which also shows televised sports and there is a Wetherspoons Pub called the Briar Rose, which normally admits visiting fans as long as no colours are shown. The Wellington does not provide food but has no objections to you bringing in your own. There are a couple of taxi ranks nearby that you can use if you wish to get you to the St Andrews ground. You can get more info on the Wellington pub website, including a live 'beer board' showing which ales they are currently serving. Just outside the main entrance to Birmingham New Street Station, is the Shakespeare pub, which is also popular with visiting supporters (normally under the watchful eye of the local Constabulary). Frequented not only those on their way to St Andrews but those on their way to the Hawthorns, as West Brom normally play their Saturday home games on the same day as Birmingham City. Alcohol is normally made available to away fans inside the ground in the form of John Smith’s Bitter or Fosters Lager (£3.80 per pint), as well as Bottles of Bulmers Cider (£3.60) and Wine (£3.90). However, for certain high profile fixtures, the Club opts not to sell any to away fans.

Official ticket news : Further tickets have been made available for Saturday’s Championship clash against Birmingham City at St Andrew’s (3pm). The Jack Army sold their initial allocation of 1500, with extra tickets now available on general sale. The Swans are going in search of a third straight win and are sure to have a strong away contingent cheering on Russell Martin and his players.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/56053/olivier-ntcham-loo

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/56055/team-news-birmingh

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/56056

Nothing more to follow.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 01:03 - Oct 24 with 1464 viewsDr_Parnassus

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 00:49 - Oct 24 by WalterBoyd

I was away today at family wedding so didn't see the match.

So many contradictory opinions, hard to comment.

Stats say we dominated, possession, opportunities, corners etc.

Result says otherwise.

How did stats say we dominated opportunities?

15 attempts to 7 in their favour.

6 on target to 1 in their favour.

We dominated the possession yes, we will in every game quite possibly. That isn’t a marker of playing well though, that’s simply a byproduct of the tactics we deploy.

But it’s important to not look at the possession stats and say we dominated the game, because we didn’t.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 06:09 - Oct 24 with 1403 viewsJohnw102

Week ago would have been happy with 6 points from these three games.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 09:22 - Oct 24 with 1279 viewsonehunglow

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 06:09 - Oct 24 by Johnw102

Look forward not backwards

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 09:34 - Oct 24 with 1283 viewslifelong

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 06:09 - Oct 24 by Johnw102

Agreed.

Some people are never happy, always ready to moan and complain.
Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 09:43 - Oct 24 with 1272 viewsDr_Parnassus

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 09:34 - Oct 24 by lifelong

Agreed.

Some people are never happy, always ready to moan and complain.

We should be as ready to criticise as we are to praise.

I don’t understand the mentality that it is beyond the pale to be realistic about a performance. We were bad, should be perfectly fine to say so.

Far too many sensitive people this season. Didn’t seem to be a problem last year to complain even when we won…

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 10:13 - Oct 24 with 1253 viewslifelong

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 09:43 - Oct 24 by Dr_Parnassus

I don’t understand the mentality that it is beyond the pale to be realistic about a performance. We were bad, should be perfectly fine to say so.

Far too many sensitive people this season. Didn’t seem to be a problem last year to complain even when we won…

I’m all for constructive criticism and realism but there are some people who will even criticise when we perform well.
Yesterday was not such a bad performance as some are making out, in my opinion of course, we looked comfortable in the first half, came under pressure early in the second half and conceded, weathered a storm for a short period of time and then did well to come back and equalise. I even thought we could have gone on and won the game.
Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 10:16 - Oct 24 with 1257 viewsBadlands

The difference being this season Martin is being criticised for not being Cooper and for moving towards entertaining football.
I've not looked back but how often did Cooper's sides win a local derby, beat the team second in the divisions and then a team of roughly equal standing with us and all within 6 days?
As I wrote elsewhere players really had given their all v Cardiff and WBA and at the end of the game last Weds several looked completely drained, naughty in particular. I am not surprised they were flat for the 3rd game in less than a week.
IMO Martin should have played Cabango if he was fit. WBA dominated in the air with little opposition and we were toothless from corners.I'm not saying Ben would have been soaring like an eagle to head home but his presence puts pressure on the opposition and gives other players space.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 10:28 - Oct 24 with 1243 viewsDr_Parnassus

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 10:13 - Oct 24 by lifelong

I’m all for constructive criticism and realism but there are some people who will even criticise when we perform well.
Yesterday was not such a bad performance as some are making out, in my opinion of course, we looked comfortable in the first half, came under pressure early in the second half and conceded, weathered a storm for a short period of time and then did well to come back and equalise. I even thought we could have gone on and won the game.

But we didn’t perform well, far from it.

Any criticism for yesterday performance is deserved. It was poor, very poor.

80% pass completion, if you are going to have 72% of the possession and pass it 500 times a game, you can’t give it to the opposition for 100 of those 500, which we did of course.

Login to get fewer ads

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 11:38 - Oct 24 with 1201 viewsMinesapint

Not sure why some get upset when others criticise a poor performance or manager decision. It does not mean they are lesser fans. Call it as you see it. If it is worthy of praise, say so. Likewise if it is pants. To be called negative when you are simply stating your view is ludicrous.

Reminds me of one of those annoying parents whose kids can do no wrong.
Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 12:32 - Oct 24 with 1144 viewsDr_Parnassus

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 11:38 - Oct 24 by Minesapint

Not sure why some get upset when others criticise a poor performance or manager decision. It does not mean they are lesser fans. Call it as you see it. If it is worthy of praise, say so. Likewise if it is pants. To be called negative when you are simply stating your view is ludicrous.

Spot on.

Win and play well and there would be praise. Lose and play badly and there won’t be.

It seems like some sort of protection racket around certain people at the moment. They are big boys I’m sure they can deal with some very valid critiques.

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 13:46 - Oct 24 with 1093 viewsonehunglow

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 11:38 - Oct 24 by Minesapint

It has always been thus mainly as many do not want to criticise on a forum a they will lose cred with their chum/The very antithesis of what we should be about.Our team failing to win and being outfought/bullied or out thought should ALWAYS be challenged.Just what is going on now when we are in trepidation of being called all sorts for simply saing what we feel And we do deep down so some need to have a little honesty.

Martin needs to be honest too; can he promise us a drive for the play offs and if not why?

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 15:14 - Oct 24 with 1049 viewslifelong

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 13:46 - Oct 24 by onehunglow

It has always been thus mainly as many do not want to criticise on a forum a they will lose cred with their chum/The very antithesis of what we should be about.Our team failing to win and being outfought/bullied or out thought should ALWAYS be challenged.Just what is going on now when we are in trepidation of being called all sorts for simply saing what we feel And we do deep down so some need to have a little honesty.

Martin needs to be honest too; can he promise us a drive for the play offs and if not why?

A typical response from the site clown.
Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 15:31 - Oct 24 with 1043 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swansea lost to Bowyer' s team last season. 1-0 Birmingham out fought Steve Cooper's Swansea.

Swansea stats

Last This
57% 72% Possession
7 7 Shots
3 1 Shots on target
0 1 Goals for
1 2 Goals against
4 12 Corners
9 8 Fouls

Birmingham data

Last This
43% 28% Possession
10 15 Shots
4 6 Shots on target
1 2 Goals for
0 1 Goals against
2 6 Corners
17 16 Fouls

Swansea need to work on corners by the looks of it and get more of their shots on target. A new set piece man required . Losing Guehi has reduced the blocking data with shots on target and in general increasing 50% and goals increasing 100%. Birmingham committed the same number of fouls roughly twice Swansea's despite Fulton playing.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 16:51 - Oct 24 with 996 viewsvetchonian

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 15:31 - Oct 24 by ReslovenSwan1

Swansea lost to Bowyer' s team last season. 1-0 Birmingham out fought Steve Cooper's Swansea.

Swansea stats

Last This
57% 72% Possession
7 7 Shots
3 1 Shots on target
0 1 Goals for
1 2 Goals against
4 12 Corners
9 8 Fouls

Birmingham data

Last This
43% 28% Possession
10 15 Shots
4 6 Shots on target
1 2 Goals for
0 1 Goals against
2 6 Corners
17 16 Fouls

Swansea need to work on corners by the looks of it and get more of their shots on target. A new set piece man required . Losing Guehi has reduced the blocking data with shots on target and in general increasing 50% and goals increasing 100%. Birmingham committed the same number of fouls roughly twice Swansea's despite Fulton playing.

Those stats demonstrate that possession is not the be all and end all at the end of the day we lost both games but this season despite having less shots we scored a goal but still conceded two...so are things better?

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 17:02 - Oct 24 with 991 viewsvetchonian

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 18:02 - Oct 23 by Catullus

I can give a perfect REASON, not an excuse, we have just played our thrid game in 6 days, the previous 2 games being the derby and WBA who were a physical team and gave us a good workout. That is why we looked a bit jaded.

It's not like we got a good hiding, some people can't wait to criticise, without using some/any pespsective!

We haven't got a massive squad with strength in depth, we have got much quality sitting on the bench either. We need at ;east 3 more players in January.

Fair reason Cat BUT

We have known about this schedule and have just had an international break so we could have prepared for this but some squad rotation?

Fulton and Cooper could have been brought in?
Maybe we should tweak things like playing Bennet in the middle it doesn't stop Naughton becoming the passing outlet and will make it harder to be predictable
I don't give credence to professional sportspersons getting tired and still believe managers should plan for this.

My concern is Martin is so "fixed" in his approach , shape and style we are open to being weakened when injury or dip in form of certain players occurs. Do we have sufficient cover for wing backs? So what do we do until maybe we can get cover at the next transfer window?
I feel Martin is entrenched with playing his way rather than sometimes adapting to use the strengths of the resources he has at his disposal.

I believe we could have done things to mitigate the "tough" schedule we faced but I have been around long enough to know that you cant win every game but I think we gave the game away yesterday.

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 17:12 - Oct 24 with 979 viewsonehunglow

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 09:43 - Oct 24 by Dr_Parnassus

Lifey has criticised,in his time,the team,club manager and players-as we all have.And it is right to do so-like us all.

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 18:06 - Oct 24 with 950 viewslifelong

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 17:12 - Oct 24 by onehunglow

Lifey has criticised,in his time,the team,club manager and players-as we all have.And it is right to do so-like us all.

That’s all you have ever done is criticise.

Last season you continually criticised and insulted our manager and your selection of players.

This season you rounded on our new inexperienced manager straight from the off, plus a few players of course.

Even in our promotion winning season you used to pour your poison on a selected few, as I’ve said previously I reckon you do it because you just don’t understand the game.
Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 18:16 - Oct 24 with 938 viewsraynor94

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ITS MATCHDAY ! on 18:06 - Oct 24 by lifelong

That’s all you have ever done is criticise.

Last season you continually criticised and insulted our manager and your selection of players.

This season you rounded on our new inexperienced manager straight from the off, plus a few players of course.

Even in our promotion winning season you used to pour your poison on a selected few, as I’ve said previously I reckon you do it because you just don’t understand the game.

Hard to argue with any of that

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 20:43 - Oct 24 with 855 viewssw02sea

I watched the whole game on tv, and Bowyer’s comment of they should have won 5 nil was correct. We were a shambles at the back, and will continue to be so, if Martin continues with a back 3 of Bennett on the right, Naughton in the middle and Manning left.
As far as I’m concerned, Manning is gash anyway, irrespective where he plays.
Bennett playing it out from the back on the right, your ‘aving a larf !
Play him in the centre of the 3, and let him give the ball to Downes, Grimes in front of him.
In this league and even more so in the Premiership, you can’t play 3 at the back if 2 of them are lightweights
Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 21:24 - Oct 24 with 831 viewslifelong

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 20:43 - Oct 24 by sw02sea

I watched the whole game on tv, and Bowyer’s comment of they should have won 5 nil was correct. We were a shambles at the back, and will continue to be so, if Martin continues with a back 3 of Bennett on the right, Naughton in the middle and Manning left.
Play him in the centre of the 3, and let him give the ball to Downes, Grimes in front of him.
In this league and even more so in the Premiership, you can’t play 3 at the back if 2 of them are lightweights

It seemed to work against Cardiff last Sunday.
Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 21:28 - Oct 24 with 821 viewsonehunglow

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 20:43 - Oct 24 by sw02sea

This poster and I are not related in any way but he seems to see matter exactly as I do .

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 21:30 - Oct 24 with 823 viewsKeithHaynes

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 21:24 - Oct 24 by lifelong

It seemed to work against Cardiff last Sunday.

Thing is we live in a demanding life far removed from patience, understanding and belief in others. Since I’ve been in this site I’ve seen posts wanting a player subbed after ten minutes or the manager sacked after half an hour. It’s utter madness.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 21:36 - Oct 24 with 804 viewsonehunglow

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 21:30 - Oct 24 by KeithHaynes

Thing is we live in a demanding life far removed from patience, understanding and belief in others. Since I’ve been in this site I’ve seen posts wanting a player subbed after ten minutes or the manager sacked after half an hour. It’s utter madness.

Does that apply to martin.If so,when?

On the other hand,after ONE GAME,I saw unfettered faith in an ingenue coach with no track record at all so maybe consider that because it is just as mad.

Fans care and react. The day they do not is the day the club and sport is dead. It takes us up and down. Always has.Those alluding to never being critical are simply liars. Good people are being abused and insulted because they simply do not have total faith in this manager.

I can think of a myriad of other matters that should offend posters.

I'll continue to ay it as I see it unless you ban me but I will not be insulting any poster whatoever personally,but his view.

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 21:36 - Oct 24 with 809 viewslifelong

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 21:28 - Oct 24 by onehunglow

This poster and I are not related in any way but he seems to see matter exactly as I do .

I rest my case.
Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 22:31 - Oct 24 with 763 viewsCrossJack

Birmingham City v Swansea City: Matchday Thread 2021/22 ÀFTERMATH on 21:36 - Oct 24 by onehunglow

Does that apply to martin.If so,when?

On the other hand,after ONE GAME,I saw unfettered faith in an ingenue coach with no track record at all so maybe consider that because it is just as mad.

Fans care and react. The day they do not is the day the club and sport is dead. It takes us up and down. Always has.Those alluding to never being critical are simply liars. Good people are being abused and insulted because they simply do not have total faith in this manager.

I can think of a myriad of other matters that should offend posters.

I'll continue to ay it as I see it unless you ban me but I will not be insulting any poster whatoever personally,but his view.

It's not unfettered faith, it's giving someone a chance.

It's churlish to do anything but. We are talking about someone trying his best to move the club forward with genuine signs of doing so, someone who has moved his family from the other side of the country to do so. That's his choice obviously, but the least he deserves is a fair opportunity to do so without the usual culprits calling him despicable things and wanting his dismissal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024