Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Games Off 11:41 - Sep 9 with 10569 viewsdna

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/62846756
Games Off on 14:46 - Sep 9 with 1300 viewstrampie

Well well well, things are the opposite to 70 years ago the last time this happened.

Football is shutting down (might only be for the weekend, if so what is that all about ?), Rugby playing (Welsh rugby shut down apart from juniors but with a 2 minute silence - 2 mins I haven't heard of that one before, I thought it was 1 minute ?, 2 minutes for little children standing around in the cold, strange).
And then Welsh rugby apparently playing again next weekend, I don't get it what's the difference between this weekend and next weekend ? both are during the mourning period leading up to the funeral.
Are English and Scottish teams going to play in European competitions next week just like they did after the Queen died yesterday, no football on the weekend but games in the week, none of it is logical yet perversely predictable of the powers that be.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Games Off on 14:58 - Sep 9 with 1265 viewsTenbySwan

The great North run and Iron-man Wales in Tenby are going ahead
Games Off on 15:16 - Sep 9 with 1246 viewsjasper_T

Games Off on 14:44 - Sep 9 by Fireboy2

What the absolute f@ck 😳

It's a flex. It's all about power. The "respectful" things to do to are acts of deference against our better interests - no fun allowed, no strikes allowed, shut up and go to work there's a good loyal subject to the crown.

The royals demand 17 days of national madness. Our wants and needs are irrelevant. They are more important because they were born into the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family.
Games Off on 15:36 - Sep 9 with 1217 viewsjack247

Why are people getting so upset over this?

As it stands, we’re having one game rearranged to mark the passing of (whether you like the royals or not and I’m pretty ambivalent towards them) one of the most iconic global figures of the last century.

Same thing happens when it’s deemed too icy for fans to walk safely outside the ground.
Games Off on 15:52 - Sep 9 with 1194 viewsjasper_T

Games Off on 15:36 - Sep 9 by jack247

Why are people getting so upset over this?

As it stands, we’re having one game rearranged to mark the passing of (whether you like the royals or not and I’m pretty ambivalent towards them) one of the most iconic global figures of the last century.

Same thing happens when it’s deemed too icy for fans to walk safely outside the ground.

It's not a public safety issue so why should it be treated like one?

We have established ways of paying respects following the deaths of iconic global celebrities and people connected with the communities of football clubs. Games only get called off when people directly involved in the games pass away.
Games Off on 15:59 - Sep 9 with 1188 viewsjack247

Games Off on 15:52 - Sep 9 by jasper_T

It's not a public safety issue so why should it be treated like one?

We have established ways of paying respects following the deaths of iconic global celebrities and people connected with the communities of football clubs. Games only get called off when people directly involved in the games pass away.

The point is, games getting rearranged is not particularly uncommon, even if we ignore the covid era. The inconvenience caused is the same.

Nobody of the this significance, arguably globally, certainly not in the UK has passed away in your lifetime. There is not a precedent set for this. If it was pretty much anybody else, I’d agree with you.
Games Off on 16:03 - Sep 9 with 1184 viewsFireboy2

Games Off on 15:59 - Sep 9 by jack247

The point is, games getting rearranged is not particularly uncommon, even if we ignore the covid era. The inconvenience caused is the same.

Nobody of the this significance, arguably globally, certainly not in the UK has passed away in your lifetime. There is not a precedent set for this. If it was pretty much anybody else, I’d agree with you.

No games should get rearranged, a two minutes silence and black arm bands would suffice.

Instead hundreds of thousands are losing money they really cannot afford but hey ho we are all in mourning.
Games Off on 16:13 - Sep 9 with 1178 viewsjack247

Games Off on 16:03 - Sep 9 by Fireboy2

No games should get rearranged, a two minutes silence and black arm bands would suffice.

Instead hundreds of thousands are losing money they really cannot afford but hey ho we are all in mourning.

Liverpool were due to play at home tomorrow. Can you honestly see the whole ground observing a two minute silence? They’d be far from alone, they are just the most obvious example.

Nobody has to mourn, I’m not going to. I don’t think rescheduling one weekend as a mark of respect is the end of the world though.

Anyone who has spent money on hotels etc that won’t get refunded has my sympathy, but there is a slightly bigger picture. As I alluded to above, they’d be in the same boat if it got called off due to the weather.
Login to get fewer ads

Games Off on 16:35 - Sep 9 with 1154 viewsFireboy2

Games Off on 16:13 - Sep 9 by jack247

Liverpool were due to play at home tomorrow. Can you honestly see the whole ground observing a two minute silence? They’d be far from alone, they are just the most obvious example.

Nobody has to mourn, I’m not going to. I don’t think rescheduling one weekend as a mark of respect is the end of the world though.

Anyone who has spent money on hotels etc that won’t get refunded has my sympathy, but there is a slightly bigger picture. As I alluded to above, they’d be in the same boat if it got called off due to the weather.

Well I'm sorry I don't see the bigger picture and i suspect alot of the population don't either because most of us aren't bothered about having a royal family 'rule' over us.

Imo this is the beginning of the end.
Games Off on 16:49 - Sep 9 with 1132 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

You can imagine what Celtic Park would have been like. But apart from these scummy clubs who seem to attract more than their fair share of scumbags I would like to think most fans would be respectful.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Games Off on 16:51 - Sep 9 with 1121 viewsSirjohnalot

Games Off on 16:35 - Sep 9 by Fireboy2

Well I'm sorry I don't see the bigger picture and i suspect alot of the population don't either because most of us aren't bothered about having a royal family 'rule' over us.

Don’t think you can say ‘most people aren’t bothered’ you can only speak for yourself and the people with whom you interact. Attendances at Buckingham Palace May suggest otherwise.

Can I ask what you mean by ‘the beginning of the end ?’
Games Off on 16:57 - Sep 9 with 1116 viewsGwyn737

Games Off on 16:51 - Sep 9 by Sirjohnalot

Don’t think you can say ‘most people aren’t bothered’ you can only speak for yourself and the people with whom you interact. Attendances at Buckingham Palace May suggest otherwise.

And those who want to attend the palace have the option to do so.

Those who’d like to have gone to a football event to express their feelings as part of a group have been denied that.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2022 17:03]
Games Off on 17:07 - Sep 9 with 1094 viewsjack247

Games Off on 16:35 - Sep 9 by Fireboy2

I think you’ve massively misjudged the mood of the nation there to be honest mate. Not just football fans, I’m sure the FA will have factored that into their decision. Have a look at the viewing figures of her funeral and the coronation if you’re skeptical.

I’d agree most of us, me included, aren’t really bothered by the monarchy. This isn’t about being ruled by overlords, it’s more human than that.
Games Off on 17:10 - Sep 9 with 1091 viewsjack247

Games Off on 16:49 - Sep 9 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

You can imagine what Celtic Park would have been like. But apart from these scummy clubs who seem to attract more than their fair share of scumbags I would like to think most fans would be respectful.

Absolutely. I’m sure the vast majority of Liverpool fans would be, not sure about Celtic.

It doesn’t take many at a ground to cause a scene and drag football through the gutter. It would happen unfortunately.
Games Off on 17:26 - Sep 9 with 1074 viewsBoundy

Games Off on 17:10 - Sep 9 by jack247

Absolutely. I’m sure the vast majority of Liverpool fans would be, not sure about Celtic.

It doesn’t take many at a ground to cause a scene and drag football through the gutter. It would happen unfortunately.

How many would have booed GSTQ if or when Birmingham Fans had sung it tomorrow

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Games Off on 17:51 - Sep 9 with 1041 viewsFireboy2

Games Off on 16:51 - Sep 9 by Sirjohnalot

Believe me, .most people i know aren't bothered about them and they range from all walks of life and I mean its the beginning of the end of the royals, it won't happen in my lifetime but I'm certain they will be gone in my boys lifetime.
Games Off on 17:56 - Sep 9 with 1029 viewsjasper_T

Is your argument then that games should be called off because large groups of British people don't want to pay respects? No football for Liverpool fans because they're not adequately monarchist for some tastes?

That you consider that the "slightly bigger picture" compared to people's work, lives and finances is honestly bizarre to me. Surely it's the other way around.
Games Off on 17:57 - Sep 9 with 1028 viewsjasper_T

Games Off on 17:26 - Sep 9 by Boundy

How many would have booed GSTQ if or when Birmingham Fans had sung it tomorrow

GSTK now.
Games Off on 17:57 - Sep 9 with 1026 viewsFireboy2

Games Off on 17:07 - Sep 9 by jack247

I think you’ve massively misjudged the mood of the nation there to be honest mate. Not just football fans, I’m sure the FA will have factored that into their decision. Have a look at the viewing figures of her funeral and the coronation if you’re skeptical.

I’d agree most of us, me included, aren’t really bothered by the monarchy. This isn’t about being ruled by overlords, it’s more human than that.

I haven't honestly mate, as I've said most people aren't bothered about them, the media are trying to brainwash the public into thinking that they are wholely loved by the majority of the public but thats horsesh!t, as the elderly who are natural royalist leave the planet the more republic the nation will become.
Games Off on 17:58 - Sep 9 with 1024 viewsFireboy2

Games Off on 17:57 - Sep 9 by jasper_T

GSTK now.

And don't forget his mistress 😘
Games Off on 18:11 - Sep 9 with 993 viewsjack247

Games Off on 17:56 - Sep 9 by jasper_T

Is your argument then that games should be called off because large groups of British people don't want to pay respects? No football for Liverpool fans because they're not adequately monarchist for some tastes?

That you consider that the "slightly bigger picture" compared to people's work, lives and finances is honestly bizarre to me. Surely it's the other way around.

No, but the FA would undoubtedly have taken that into account. Look outside your football bubble for a minute, is that a brush the FA would want the game and it’s fans tarnished with at this pint in time.

My argument is far more rudimentary. One of the worlds most famous and best loved people has passed away. Switching the game to a Tuesday night isn’t the end of the world.
Games Off on 18:13 - Sep 9 with 988 viewsSirjohnalot

Games Off on 17:57 - Sep 9 by Fireboy2

I haven't honestly mate, as I've said most people aren't bothered about them, the media are trying to brainwash the public into thinking that they are wholely loved by the majority of the public but thats horsesh!t, as the elderly who are natural royalist leave the planet the more republic the nation will become.

Can’t agree at all with this. But thank you for keeping it polite. Obviously a very sensitive subject with equally strong views on both sides
Games Off on 18:15 - Sep 9 with 986 viewsjack247

Games Off on 17:57 - Sep 9 by Fireboy2

There’s a massive distinction between the Queen and the royal family as a collective. This is about the former not the latter.

I completely agree that the country will become more republic thinking and they will become less relevant now they have lost their figurehead. None of them will ever get anywhere near the public affection she did. It was happening anyway, I think it will accelerate exponentially now.
Games Off on 18:34 - Sep 9 with 960 viewsFireboy2

Games Off on 18:13 - Sep 9 by Sirjohnalot

Can’t agree at all with this. But thank you for keeping it polite. Obviously a very sensitive subject with equally strong views on both sides

Fair enough John 👌
Games Off on 18:37 - Sep 9 with 955 viewsFireboy2

Games Off on 18:15 - Sep 9 by jack247

There’s a massive distinction between the Queen and the royal family as a collective. This is about the former not the latter.

I completely agree that the country will become more republic thinking and they will become less relevant now they have lost their figurehead. None of them will ever get anywhere near the public affection she did. It was happening anyway, I think it will accelerate exponentially now.

Up until Diana's death she and diana were the only royals who I gave respect to.

And she went way downhill after Andrews shenanigans.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024