Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Games Off 11:41 - Sep 9 with 11616 viewsdna

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/62846756
Games Off on 10:16 - Sep 10 with 1589 viewstrampie

Games Off on 09:40 - Sep 10 by jack247

Liverpool was the example I used.

So you’re now suggesting football should have carried on as if nothing had happened? You were asking for two days off and an extra bank holiday on another thread.

If it was up to me, no football on the day of death and no football on the day of the funeral but football in-between with armbands and a minutes silence that is what I would have done if it was up to me.

But English teams (Man U and West Ham) both played home games on the day of the Queen's death when they knew she had died when they could have cancelled/postponed, I thought that was poor.

I look at it principal wise like somebody losing somebody close to them during the day (but not an immediate relative) and they are due to work nights, they have the day of death night shift off, then work up until the funeral and then have the day of the funeral off.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 11:50]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Games Off on 10:19 - Sep 10 with 1581 viewsGwyn737

Games Off on 09:07 - Sep 10 by fbreath

What’s the difference between people booing 2 minutes silence on Tuesday before the game and doing it today.

I agree - absolutely none.

If someone is a numpty today they’ll still be a numpty on Thursday.

Even if you’re a rabid anti monarchist there’s no excuse for interrupting the silence. It’s just childish.
Games Off on 10:50 - Sep 10 with 1547 viewsjack247

Games Off on 10:16 - Sep 10 by trampie

If it was up to me, no football on the day of death and no football on the day of the funeral but football in-between with armbands and a minutes silence that is what I would have done if it was up to me.

But English teams (Man U and West Ham) both played home games on the day of the Queen's death when they knew she had died when they could have cancelled/postponed, I thought that was poor.

I look at it principal wise like somebody losing somebody close to them during the day (but not an immediate relative) and they are due to work nights, they have the day of death night shift off, then work up until the funeral and then have the day of the funeral off.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 11:50]

Logistics. People had travelled overseas for those games and the death was announced early evening.

I’m sure there won’t be much sport happening the day of the funeral.

One round of fixtures being postponed (not cancelled) isn’t much of a hardship.
Games Off on 10:59 - Sep 10 with 1536 viewstrampie

Games Off on 10:50 - Sep 10 by jack247

Logistics. People had travelled overseas for those games and the death was announced early evening.

Travel should have had nothing to do with it, the Queen of England had died (or whatever her title was) and English teams played knowing she had just died, I personally know somebody would is a big fan of the Monarchy who thinks it was unforgivable of them to play knowing the monarch had not long died.

PS People are speculating it will be more than one round of fixtures (more like 1 1/2 rounds) as regards Premier League teams as lots of London teams are in the Premier League, it might depend on if the funeral is on a Monday, if it's on the Tuesday perhaps the games will go ahead.
But it's a jump to say it's only one round at this stage, it might be and I hope it is only one round of fixtures.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 11:09]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Games Off on 11:05 - Sep 10 with 1531 viewsjack247

Games Off on 10:59 - Sep 10 by trampie

Travel should have had nothing to do with it, the Queen of England had died (or whatever her title was) and English teams played knowing she had just died, I personally know somebody would is a big fan of the Monarchy who thinks it was unforgivable of them to play knowing the monarch had not long died.

PS People are speculating it will be more than one round of fixtures (more like 1 1/2 rounds) as regards Premier League teams as lots of London teams are in the Premier League, it might depend on if the funeral is on a Monday, if it's on the Tuesday perhaps the games will go ahead.
But it's a jump to say it's only one round at this stage, it might be and I hope it is only one round of fixtures.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 11:09]

Right. So one weekend of fixtures isn’t much to ask then is it?
Games Off on 11:13 - Sep 10 with 1517 viewstrampie

Games Off on 11:05 - Sep 10 by jack247

For a Monarchist there should be no games at all, it's a respect thing.

Games Off on 11:14 - Sep 10 with 1517 viewsjack247

Games Off on 11:13 - Sep 10 by trampie

For a Monarchist there should be no games at all, it's a respect thing.

It’s a respect thing. Finally. Thanks trampie
Games Off on 11:31 - Sep 10 with 1488 viewstrampie

Games Off on 11:05 - Sep 10 by jack247

So do you think it's acceptable to play sport during the mourning period for the Queen (the mourning period is clearly going to span two rounds of domestic games and some European games) ?

Surely not playing during the mourning period and then playing during the mourning period is nonsensical.
What would you do if it was up to you ?
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 11:52]

Login to get fewer ads

Games Off on 11:38 - Sep 10 with 1484 viewsjack247

Games Off on 11:31 - Sep 10 by trampie

So do you think it's acceptable to play sport during the mourning period for the Queen (the mourning period is clearly going to span two rounds of domestic games and some European games) ?

Surely not playing during the mourning period and then playing during the mourning period is nonsensical.
What would you do if it was up to you ?
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 11:52]

I’ve already stated my personal opinion.

A mark of respect absolutely has to be shown. Two minutes silence and black armbands is not enough.

One round of games for every team seems about right to me. I could understand a decision to suspend all sport during the mourning period and wouldn’t throw my toys out of the pram about it, but if it was my decision, I’d just do this round of games.

No sport on the day of the funeral either.
Games Off on 11:41 - Sep 10 with 1471 viewstrampie

Games Off on 11:38 - Sep 10 by jack247

I’ve already stated my personal opinion.

A mark of respect absolutely has to be shown. Two minutes silence and black armbands is not enough.

One round of games for every team seems about right to me. I could understand a decision to suspend all sport during the mourning period and wouldn’t throw my toys out of the pram about it, but if it was my decision, I’d just do this round of games.

No sport on the day of the funeral either.

Thank you for your answer, suspending one round of fixtures and then playing one round of fixtures during the mourning period seems nonsensical to me, can't see the logic or rationale in it to be honest, but that might well happen.

Games Off on 11:43 - Sep 10 with 1463 viewsSirjohnalot

Games Off on 11:41 - Sep 10 by trampie

Thank you for your answer, suspending one round of fixtures and then playing one round of fixtures during the mourning period seems nonsensical to me, can't see the logic or rationale in it to be honest, but that might well happen.

One reason which may not have been aired, if the police presence. With the proclamation of Charles today, there may not be enough police to police the football as the police presence in London and other capital cities would be huge.
Games Off on 11:47 - Sep 10 with 1453 viewstrampie

Games Off on 11:43 - Sep 10 by Sirjohnalot

One reason which may not have been aired, if the police presence. With the proclamation of Charles today, there may not be enough police to police the football as the police presence in London and other capital cities would be huge.

I told the poster that by my answer (perhaps he didn't know what I was getting at), that is why half the Premier League fixtures might be off next weekend as the police won't be able to police London matches.

Games Off on 11:50 - Sep 10 with 1447 viewsswan65split

Cricket

Games Off on 12:01 - Sep 10 with 1431 viewsFireboy2

Games Off on 11:50 - Sep 10 by swan65split

Cricket

Although it is respected they would do as most of cricket fans are middle to upper class.
Games Off on 12:20 - Sep 10 with 1414 viewsYrAlarch

That is one of the considerations for stopping the Tour of Britain.
Games Off on 12:34 - Sep 10 with 1404 viewsDr_Winston

Games Off on 12:01 - Sep 10 by Fireboy2

Although it is respected they would do as most of cricket fans are middle to upper class.

Have you been to St. Helen's for a Sunday game?

Most cricket players tend to be middle or upper class, but I doubt most of the rank and file fans in the ground are.

Anyhoo, calling the football off was a crassly stupid and unnecessary decision. Everything else is going ahead, even the horse racing which she was more closely associated with than any other sport.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 12:35]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Games Off on 12:58 - Sep 10 with 1376 viewsBoundy

Games Off on 10:11 - Sep 10 by onehunglow

No need for a question mark 247.
I was thinking actually how Liverpool fans would have reacted this weekend if matches had gone ahead.Would the Anthem have been played and would they have booed,as they would have at celtic .

I think we know the answer to that one as I suspect did the FA

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Games Off on 13:34 - Sep 10 with 1346 viewsJack123

I think that's the most likely cause of the games being called off.

For me though, it's downright wrong to use paying respects, and a period of mourning as an excuse, when it's clearly a case of limited resources..

I suppose it would be pretty simple for them to be honest, and say we haven't got the manpower to cover the football as well, but I guess that would just highlight the fact, the limited number of police on our streets.

libera nos a malo

Games Off on 14:42 - Sep 10 with 1307 viewsjasper_T

Police will be in short supply due to the funeral but they've called off grass roots and amateur football this weekend, there's no logistical argument for how heavy-handed football's response has been in comparison with other sports.
Games Off on 16:27 - Sep 10 with 1256 viewsBoundy

Games Off on 12:01 - Sep 10 by Fireboy2

That's a rather broad sweeping statement, I know many "working class " who love the game , considering historically football was played and followed during the winter and then cricket for the summer

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Games Off on 17:32 - Sep 10 with 1220 viewstrampie

Monday funeral it is then.

People were speculating if it was a Monday funeral then games/some games on the weekend would be off, might just be London clubs on the weekend, might just be London clubs on the Sunday.

Watch this space as they say.

Games Off on 17:59 - Sep 10 with 1185 viewsSirjohnalot

Games Off on 17:32 - Sep 10 by trampie

People were speculating if it was a Monday funeral then games/some games on the weekend would be off, might just be London clubs on the weekend, might just be London clubs on the Sunday.

As this forum has shown whatever decision they make they’ll be slammed.
Games Off on 18:20 - Sep 10 with 1167 viewstrampie

Games Off on 17:59 - Sep 10 by Sirjohnalot

As this forum has shown whatever decision they make they’ll be slammed.

At the risk of repeating myself they should either have postponed all games until after the funeral or not cancelled any at all apart from day of death and funeral, they are on the verge of looking like silly Billie's if it comes to pass that they play on the day she died, don't play on the weekend then play in the week then lose half a round of games on the next weekend.

Games Off on 19:07 - Sep 10 with 1149 viewsshingle

Games Off on 10:50 - Sep 10 by jack247

Thousands of Boxing fans made trips to the o2 many arriving Thursday night and Friday morning they had already spent for hotels plus travel expenses etc the event was called off at 3pm on Friday afternoon for the so called mark of respect these decision makers use as a reason, also if the Boxers do not fight they do not get paid they have also just gone through an 8 week training camp which obviously costs and then many have to come over from other countries would you call that not much of an hardship as well.
[Post edited 10 Sep 2022 19:08]
Games Off on 19:31 - Sep 10 with 1133 viewsBryanSwan

Games Off on 17:32 - Sep 10 by trampie

Free day off then, can't complain there.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024