Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Linford Christie Stadium 19:01 - Dec 13 with 18481 viewsDixie_CT

The future of Linford Christie Stadium, our last chance to stay in Hammersmith and Fulham, is being discussed tomorrow night.

http://democracy.lbhf.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=467&MId=7289&Ver=4

The proposal put forward as a plan is very amateurish and lacks quality.

http://democracy.lbhf.gov.uk/documents/s122549/Appendix%202%20-%20Linford%20Chri

We have little chance of getting permission for this site, or any other local site for that matter (although other options are very limited) and a new stadium is a pivotal factor in the future identity of our club. Without a long term place in the Premier League, our income is hamstrung, especially by Loftus Road.

This issue for me throws up some bigger questions. I personally think the owners should put it to the fans in regards to what we want for QPR because standing still financially sees us yo-yoing between the Championship and League One, not the other way. If that isn’t for them, then they should pass the baton onto a new Board (better the devil you know!)

Whatever your thoughts are on the Board, Lee, Les, Jude the Cat etc, you can’t deny that we have already been left behind by our local neighbours, Brentford & Fulham. Being the fourth team in West London might be a position we occupy for the foreseeable future and that isn’t something that sits comfortably with me.
Linford Christie Stadium on 17:46 - Dec 14 with 2880 viewsJuzzie

Lots of very good ideas but all of them will cost more money than is worth doing.
Linford Christie Stadium on 17:55 - Dec 14 with 2837 viewsDavieQPR

Also the concourses would be illegal on a rebuild. They would have to be twice the size to comply with current regulations.
Linford Christie Stadium on 17:56 - Dec 14 with 2840 viewsR_from_afar

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:19 - Dec 14 by Hayesender

My old man lives in Feltham, and it really is an arse of a place. The wetherspoons you talk of is probably the worst pub I've ever had the misfortune to drink in, and I've been to some shite pubs in my time

If you're ever in Coventry, pop in here and see what you think.

Top tip: Wear a stab vest.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Linford Christie Stadium on 18:04 - Dec 14 with 2816 viewsDixie_CT

Linford Christie Stadium Development by Friends of Wormwood Scrubs in partnership with Kensington Dragons FC and Thames Valley Harriers has been kicked down the road until the next meeting on 8 March.

Perhaps some delaying tactics to improve that primary school level of a proposal from FOWS and/or to push back having to make an actual decision on the site, which I assume would have to go out to tender?

Interesting that one of the points against the stadium was people walking over the Scrubs to games yet they are now considering hosting a month of Secret Cinema events in 2023, which draws about 5000 people.

Edit - the month long secret cinema event was approved, potentially setting a precedent to point to for large events at the Scrubs. Get on the phone to H & F, OPDC, and HS2 to try and get a conversation going.
[Post edited 14 Dec 2022 19:57]
Linford Christie Stadium on 19:54 - Dec 14 with 2618 viewslongbottom

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:40 - Dec 14 by dmm

Clifford Gardens, first on the left, just over the bridge, when walking from Kempe Road. It was one of the show houses when the area was built and was a wonderful home. We lived there through the 60s.

I went to the school that your family's house borders. It was then called Harvist Road Junior School.

I have enormous affection for Kensal Rise and occasionally visit just for a nostalgic walk about.

The infants school was called Harvist Road. The junior school was always called Kensal Rise, both boys and girls. I went there from 1959 until 1964.
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:11 - Dec 15 with 2272 viewshubble

Linford Christie Stadium on 11:49 - Dec 14 by Juzzie

Unrelated fact but if anyone goes to Sloane Square tube station they'll probably see this. Looks like an innocuous walkway but it's actually a re-routed river (Westbourne river)

People also might be interested to know that the Westbourne rises on Hampstead Heath, flows south west across Kilburn High Road and joins with a tributary from Queen's Park on its way down to the Thames, via the Serpentine in Hyde Park.

It used to be known as the Cyne-burna in Old English, or Kyne Burn, hence 'Kilburn' ('burn' being another name for river or stream of course). Amazing to consider now, but a Priory was built at the junction of the river and Watling Street (pretty much where Kilburn High Road station stands now), because of the health-giving benefits of the Kyne Burn/Kilbourne/Westbourne river. This is why you get local road names like Priory Road and also Abbey Road of Beatles fame, and also Westbourne Park.

Even more amazing to consider, in the 1700s, Kilburn was actually a fashionable spa, all because of the health-giving qualities of the Westbourne. Although the name Westbourne itself is fairly new; before that name became popular, it was also known as Bayswater Brook (hence Bayswater) - which name derived from the fact that there was a watering spot for horses (bayards) known as Bayard's Watering Place, and this was where the river flowed under what was then known as the Uxbridge Road, the very same road that borders our beloved ground.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:29 - Dec 15 with 2225 viewsNorthernr

Have we reached the point of the thread where we're digging Loftus Road down into the ground yet?
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:40 - Dec 15 with 2183 viewsfrancisbowles

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:29 - Dec 15 by Northernr

Have we reached the point of the thread where we're digging Loftus Road down into the ground yet?

Oh! We are well past that, now having a geography lesson on London's hidden rivers.
Login to get fewer ads

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:43 - Dec 15 with 2160 viewsDixie_CT

Nope, what do you think we are, nuts??

We are digging under the river beneath the stadium to install a flat roof pub (with parking) and a high speed train link to Kensal Rise.

The build will be complete in time to host Bushstock 2082.

P.s. the floating lido above the pitch is an optional extra we may have to sacrifice due to lighting issues at Mary Kelly’s flat, 69 Mackay House, White City Estate, W12
[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 9:45]
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:44 - Dec 15 with 2157 viewsslmrstid

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:40 - Dec 15 by francisbowles

Oh! We are well past that, now having a geography lesson on London's hidden rivers.

To be fair I'm finding the hidden river stuff fascinating.
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:44 - Dec 15 with 2151 viewsMaggsinho

That's where the underground car park is going, so no.
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:47 - Dec 15 with 2139 viewsfrancisbowles

Linford Christie Stadium on 17:20 - Dec 14 by DannyPaddox

In a Marie Antoinette-style gesture the club could buy all those impacted a few of these; “Let them have light.” Seriously (as I said on a previous page) to the south of the borough Olympia Exhibition Centre is being extended across Hammersmith Road in a very similar fashion as to how the ground could be extended across South Africa Road. There are also residences opposite Olympia.

Are the residences opposite Olympia on the north or south side of the street?

The White City estate is on the north side of SA Road. I believe most light comes from the south and therefore any extra height would create a bigger shadow.
Linford Christie Stadium on 09:54 - Dec 15 with 2106 viewsrrrspricey

Any development of the current stadium would be throwing good money after bad.
If it was just about capacity then maybe you could look at it, but it's the whole infrastructure behind the scenes that need upgrading too.
Linford Christie Stadium on 10:28 - Dec 15 with 2004 viewsRs_Holy

Linford Christie Stadium on 15:19 - Dec 14 by Hayesender

My old man lives in Feltham, and it really is an arse of a place. The wetherspoons you talk of is probably the worst pub I've ever had the misfortune to drink in, and I've been to some shite pubs in my time

I too live in Feltham and the Spoons in the town centre is actually way better than my local (the 3 Horseshoes) which has a feel of a pub going through the last rites...
As an aside the pub previously on the Spoons site was a place called the Cricketers. It was part of the 1960's redevelopment and was without doubt one of the bleakest places on planet earth. There was a venturi type wind tunnel effect near the old car part at one end of the shopping centre. The Cricketers was closer the high street and was a second floor flat top building on some weird stilts! I'm gutted that I cannot find any pictures of it as it was without doubt a fantastic testament to everything that was wrong with 1960's urban planning... Maybe all the photos have been destroyed?
Linford Christie Stadium on 10:37 - Dec 15 with 1964 viewskernowhoop

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:11 - Dec 15 by hubble

People also might be interested to know that the Westbourne rises on Hampstead Heath, flows south west across Kilburn High Road and joins with a tributary from Queen's Park on its way down to the Thames, via the Serpentine in Hyde Park.

It used to be known as the Cyne-burna in Old English, or Kyne Burn, hence 'Kilburn' ('burn' being another name for river or stream of course). Amazing to consider now, but a Priory was built at the junction of the river and Watling Street (pretty much where Kilburn High Road station stands now), because of the health-giving benefits of the Kyne Burn/Kilbourne/Westbourne river. This is why you get local road names like Priory Road and also Abbey Road of Beatles fame, and also Westbourne Park.

Even more amazing to consider, in the 1700s, Kilburn was actually a fashionable spa, all because of the health-giving qualities of the Westbourne. Although the name Westbourne itself is fairly new; before that name became popular, it was also known as Bayswater Brook (hence Bayswater) - which name derived from the fact that there was a watering spot for horses (bayards) known as Bayard's Watering Place, and this was where the river flowed under what was then known as the Uxbridge Road, the very same road that borders our beloved ground.

I enjoyed that. Thanks, Hubble.
Linford Christie Stadium on 10:57 - Dec 15 with 1873 viewsdmm

Linford Christie Stadium on 09:11 - Dec 15 by hubble

Great stuff, Hud. I absolutely love London's history. I did a Fleet river walk with Paul Talling earlier this year. He does loads of other fascinating London walks including lost rivers and a London's lost music venues walk which I must do.

He has a great website called Derelict London which is well worth a browse: https://www.derelictlondon.com/
Linford Christie Stadium on 11:15 - Dec 15 with 1813 viewskensalriser

I think the accepted protocol is this follows the discussion on the issue of buying the houses on Ellerslie Rd.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Linford Christie Stadium on 12:00 - Dec 15 with 1708 viewsHayesender

My old dear always said there was apparently a river running under Vespan Road, but no matter how hard I tried, I've never been able to find any history of Vespan Road.

Over to the LFW historian's

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Linford Christie Stadium on 12:03 - Dec 15 with 1681 viewsJuzzie

[Post edited 15 Dec 2022 12:03]
Linford Christie Stadium on 12:08 - Dec 15 with 1627 viewsdmm

Linford Christie Stadium on 12:00 - Dec 15 by Hayesender

My old dear always said there was apparently a river running under Vespan Road, but no matter how hard I tried, I've never been able to find any history of Vespan Road.

Over to the LFW historian's

Seems like you're not the only one trying to find out the history of Vespan Road, Hayesender

Linford Christie Stadium on 12:47 - Dec 15 with 1533 viewsDixie_CT

Linford Christie Stadium on 12:08 - Dec 15 by dmm

Seems like you're not the only one trying to find out the history of Vespan Road, Hayesender

It is where they first trailed the infamous dual purpose moped cooking appliance
Linford Christie Stadium on 13:07 - Dec 15 with 1490 viewsHayesender

Thanks for that. It seems no one has any idea where the name came from though.

I can make my old home out from that photo

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Linford Christie Stadium on 13:57 - Dec 15 with 1388 viewsDixie_CT

If you wanna get ‘down and dirty’ ©️ Ethan Laird, with some local residents near Linford Christie, then sign up to this:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/secret-group-ltd-wormwood-scrubs-residents-meeting-

You might see that Joquain Phoenix gave Russell Crowe an easier time in Gladiator compared to what the local residents are going to give Secret Cinema! Tin Hats are a must. Enjoy 😊
Linford Christie Stadium on 13:59 - Dec 15 with 1374 viewsSonofpugwash

It's usually just behind the "second tier" proposal.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Linford Christie Stadium on 14:11 - Dec 15 with 1302 viewsSonofpugwash

My brother had one of these in the eighties which he rented out to students.
Bastard of a job getting them out - had to resort to bribes.Eventually turned it into a couple of flats.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024