Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cheers Sir Les 12:30 - Jun 16 with 6503 viewsPikey

Thanks for all your efforts over 30 years and good wishes for the future.
Rest assured the numpties will hound your successor too when we dont sign any multi million pounders or fail tk get silly money fir the current players.
They might realise FFP and its constraints are real obstacles.
Cheers Sir Les on 20:30 - Jun 16 with 1556 viewsHarbour

Thank you Les a true Rangers legend. Wishing you the best for the future you will always have a great welcome at LR .
Cheers Sir Les on 07:58 - Jun 17 with 1353 viewsthehat

The right time to shake hands and move on.

Les has done an okay job. We were all over the place when he joined and he has helped stabilise the club although we do continue to hemmorage cash on a yearly basis.

However the problem has been the outstanding progress made by clubs of a similar size Brentford, Fulham, Luton, Coventry, Bournemouth etc……in the same timeframe.
Cheers Sir Les on 09:15 - Jun 17 with 1248 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Cheers Sir Les on 18:07 - Jun 16 by SimonJames

So if you were Sir Les, updating his cv to apply for another DoF job, what would be the main achievements you would highlight?

- Worked with Lee Hoos and others to reduce the enormous wages bill
- Led the club to a top ten finish (9th) in the 2020-21 season
- Led the club to two other top half finishes (11th & 12th)
- Oversaw the appointment of eight managers!

Relegation from the Premier League, to show them I wasn't overly arrogant.
Cheers Sir Les on 09:48 - Jun 17 with 1205 viewsPikey

Cheers Sir Les on 09:15 - Jun 17 by Wegerles_Stairs

Relegation from the Premier League, to show them I wasn't overly arrogant.

Oh come on, he took up post in Feb 2015. We were all but down by then anyway. You can hardly blame him for that.. . But there again why not seems he got the blame for every loss but never the credit for any wins during his tenure.
Cheers Sir Les on 10:02 - Jun 17 with 1173 viewsdistortR

I'm of the view that the time is right for a change, it's not working at Rangers at the moment. What his actual role/amount of control etc are open to debate, but he was DoF and so must expect to be held to a degree of responsibility when, apparently, systemic failings serve up the season we've just had.

But....but, the bloke is top class, dignified, a great ambassador and was a wonderful player. I wish him well.
Cheers Sir Les on 10:06 - Jun 17 with 1171 viewsBurnleyhoop

Cheers Sir Les on 17:51 - Jun 16 by Padulas_Shampoo

What has his ability as a player got to do with anything? Taarabt was a sensational player, would you want him as our next DoF? Phil Giles has never kicked a ball professionally, does that make him an inferior football administrator?

This man was my hero growing up. I literally cried at primary school when we sold him. My mates still remind me of that. Nothing has been sullied, he still has untouchable status as an all time great. Anyone interested in besmirching that reputation at QPR is flat out wrong.

None of that means he shouldn't be held accountable - as the Director of Football - for his part in what has gone wrong.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 17:53]

Agree completely PS, as a Supporter of 40+ years, Les Ferdinand was and always will be revered as a legend of the club. I even trained my mothers minor bird to sing the Les Ferdinand chant.

He give it his best shot whilst here and is clearly a man of honour and integrity, with the best interests of this club at heart.

Unfortunately, our slow and painful demise over his eight year tenure, which included some awful managerial and player recruitment, has emptied our bank account and left us in a perilous position with a bleak future ahead of us.

His position was all but untenable and appears to have been confirmed when in dispute with Ainsworth over summer player acquisitions.

We are now in the middle of June and appear in total disarray. Does Ainsworth now get full control of the culture, strategy and recruitment process, or has he to wait until a new dof is appointed and we start the bun fight for control all over again?

Either way, it doesn’t bode well for next season.
Cheers Sir Les on 10:15 - Jun 17 with 1147 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

A Director of Football stands or falls on the quality of their decision making.
I never had confidence in Les for all of his other great qualities. Warburton would be a good choice if the board and Warburton could be persuaded. He has the intelligence and character for the position.
Cheers Sir Les on 10:30 - Jun 17 with 1125 viewsPunteR

Can't see how he'd work with Ainsworth as his manager. Pples apart in terms of their football philosophy.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Cheers Sir Les on 10:35 - Jun 17 with 1116 viewsSimonJames

Cheers Sir Les on 18:19 - Jun 16 by numptydumpty

Looks like you spoiling for a fight

He has done a decent job.

Last season went wrong when Beale left.

But generally apart from second half last season we had stabilised as a mid table Club with massively lower bills.

What do you expect ??

Champions League players developed top half premiership or even premiership status. He has done well as far as I am concerned.

Ok blah blah blah Brentford Fulham etc.

I think it was the time for all to move forwards. And that's fine

Very easy to criticise from comfortable armchairs !!!!
[Post edited 16 Jun 2023 18:20]

I'm not spoiling for a fight and I'm not trying to vilify an great man.
I'm simply trying to understand the specifics and full extent of how the role of DoF at QPR has moved the club forward over the last eight years.

I have no expectations per se...
We've spent 16 of the last 20 seasons in the Championship. We are a Championship club.
Furthermore, we've only finished in the top ten in three of those seasons. So we are, as you say, a mid-table Championship club.
But moving forward, I'm not confident that we will be finishing mid table next season.

But, as you say, easy to be an armchair critic.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Cheers Sir Les on 11:02 - Jun 17 with 1078 viewsNov77

Just because we failed recently doesn’t mean that we should accept or expect failure. These owners took over a premier league club, every one of THEIR decisions has led to where we are today.

The reverse is true, owners of Brighton, Brentford Luton etc took over nonentities, their decisions led them to where they are today.

I really hate the ‘we can’t expect much, we’re only a championship side’ mentality, it’s an excuse for failure, nothing more, it kills hopes and dreams.

Les has probably gone because he knows what an absolute shitshow we’re in for next season and he doesn’t want to cop anymore blame/stick.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Cheers Sir Les on 11:53 - Jun 17 with 1025 viewsstevec

LF presided over 8 years of managed failure, simple as that.

The arrangements over Tyler I should have seen the exit door opened but the loan/contract fiasco over Tyler II, no DOF should survive that.

He has got some front though, saying he’s leaving as he doesn’t agree with this years transfer policy. Talk about taking the piss.
Cheers Sir Les on 11:52 - Jun 18 with 790 viewsE15Hoop

Cheers Sir Les on 19:30 - Jun 16 by switchingcode

Why would anyone want to employ him as DOF when has he been successful in that position

His time at Brentford, developing a very successful relationship with Uwe Rosler (not the easiest person to work closely with, I'm led to believe) which led to a promotion, helping to build a seamless structure between onboarding players for low cost, moulding them into successful 1st team players and then selling them on for a decent profit - all the things you would want from a decent DoF.
Unfortunately, not likely to be the case for us, given that someone will need to swallow their pride and be prepared to toe the line, given the constraints we're working under and a possible clash of footballiing philosophy with the current Head Coach.
Cheers Sir Les on 12:15 - Jun 18 with 769 viewsfrancisbowles

Cheers Sir Les on 11:53 - Jun 17 by stevec

LF presided over 8 years of managed failure, simple as that.

The arrangements over Tyler I should have seen the exit door opened but the loan/contract fiasco over Tyler II, no DOF should survive that.

He has got some front though, saying he’s leaving as he doesn’t agree with this years transfer policy. Talk about taking the piss.

Steve, I presume your referring to Taylor Richards.

I know there were huge problems with him last season, some which couldn't have been imagined but effectively, we bought him last summer. The deal was just structured to defer the fee into the current financial year.

The player is ours, a self declared QPR fan, with an impressive football background.
We have to get behind him to see if he can fulfill his potential and not turn into another Sean Goss.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024