Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dykes 21:39 - Nov 4 with 43659 viewsstainrods_elbow

Really hope we can move him on in Jan and bring in one or two players who can really help the reshaped project, starting with breaking with years of tradition and actually investing in a striker who scores goals. He's going nowhere at QPR and just doesn't, and never will, cut the mustard. I'm afraid. He's a ram that doesn't batter, his buckle doesn't swash, and his goalscoring instincts are not so much predatory as borderline nugatory. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Millwall, say, came back in for him, he'd miraculously metamorphose into a 1 in 3 merchant who plays every week, but hopefully we'd by then be past caring. I don't want a player leading our line who scores the odd header from an occasional Chair cross but who seems mainly to care about playing for Scotland.

All being well, MC will have sussed this out in double-quick time and will be reshaping our attacking line with Smyth, Willock and Chair, and a new pivot.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2023 21:43]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Dykes on 10:27 - Nov 14 with 2056 viewsRs_Holy

Dykes on 10:11 - Nov 14 by GaryBannister86

Honestly, I think everyone's gone bonkers. Sure, Dykes is out of form, but why won't it come back, especially under a proper coach and manager? He's proved he can play - I don't know why people are so quick to forget that - especially with better tactics.

If anyone thinks we are going to get better than Dykes in the loan market then good luck to you and I hope you are right.

He's an international striker. Given support by us, the right tactics, a bit of luck - he will be fine. I don't understand why we have to be so down on him?

Yet someone like Kakay finally manages to have a decent game and "he's one of our own" and "always give his all". Dykes is a million times the more valuable footballer to us in my eyes.

well he is the best we've got but that is why we desperately need another striker in Jan!
Dykes on 11:49 - Nov 14 with 1821 viewsBurnleyhoop

Dykes on 15:17 - Nov 13 by ParkRoyalR

Did'nt have an obsession with Austin, just pointed out, as another recent poster pointed out on the Mount Rushmore thread, that the bloke's a wrong'un, took the club and its fans for mugs, leaving us so fxxked on FFP that we now can't afford to upgrade on Kelman let alone Dykes.

Armstrong had a similar cross on Saturday to Dykes's at Rotherham and did'nt connect, yet not a mention of being on his heels or any of the other out-dated cliche's we regularly hear on this forum (my favourite being Chair does'nt pass 1st time as he does'nt rate any of his team-mates).

Dozzell cost more than Dykes and came in on higher wages, is supposedly our creative midfielder, did'nt create a single goal-scoring chance on Saturday and has provided on average 1 assist per season, and yet, not a hint of criticism or recognition he could be the root of our problems.

Dykes has his short-comings (not being a natural finisher, but neither was Hughill) but if Steve Clarke and Neil Warnock rate him, he's good enough for a lower mid-table Championship Club, which is what we are, bar a purple-patch with Eze and Willock.

If Marti doesn't quickly fathom how totally useless Dozzell and Dykes are, I will bare my arse in the now defunct Burtons window. I, personally, wouldn't have either of them anywhere near the starting line up as we have persevered with them long enough now to know they cannot do what we need them to do. The occasional glimpses of their potential is not going to save our season.

A totally different approach is required, and fast.
Dykes on 12:13 - Nov 14 with 1771 viewsDavieQPR

Why do fans think we can sell Dykes, then after allowing for any player or agent fees plus tax etc, get a better player for 3/4 the money?
Expect someone in in January as the recent book cooking hasn't been for nowt.
Dykes on 12:31 - Nov 14 with 1746 viewsActonExile

Work out how many of our rivals in the division would swap him for what they have, that'll tell you how good he is.

IMHO, very few would.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

Dykes on 12:35 - Nov 14 with 1729 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 11:49 - Nov 14 by Burnleyhoop

If Marti doesn't quickly fathom how totally useless Dozzell and Dykes are, I will bare my arse in the now defunct Burtons window. I, personally, wouldn't have either of them anywhere near the starting line up as we have persevered with them long enough now to know they cannot do what we need them to do. The occasional glimpses of their potential is not going to save our season.

A totally different approach is required, and fast.

Opinions eh.

Dozell, albeit from a low bar, my POTY so far.
Dykes on 12:38 - Nov 14 with 1722 viewsRs_Holy

Dykes on 12:35 - Nov 14 by BazzaInTheLoft

Opinions eh.

Dozell, albeit from a low bar, my POTY so far.

Wow!
Dykes on 12:51 - Nov 14 with 1688 viewsGaryBannister86

Dykes on 12:31 - Nov 14 by ActonExile

Work out how many of our rivals in the division would swap him for what they have, that'll tell you how good he is.

IMHO, very few would.

Nonsense, all bar the top few would have him like a shot if they could afford him.

Funny how our fans seem to know more than Warnock, Steve Clarke, Mark Warburton?

Find the tape of Warnock talking about Dykes. I would back his opinion above Tony Blooming Thorpe.
Dykes on 12:59 - Nov 14 with 1638 viewsActonExile

My quote doesn't say whether they would have him, it states would they swap their number 1 centre forward for ours.
As i said 'i doubt many would'.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

Login to get fewer ads

Dykes on 13:09 - Nov 14 with 1594 viewshubble

Dykes is good
Dykes is bad
Dykes is driving me bleedin mad

How many more
Threads do we need
Dykes is making my ears bleed

Dykes has never been that good
Come on, you know it's true
But somehow he seems so different
When he's drinking Irn Bru

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Dykes on 13:10 - Nov 14 with 1596 viewsGaryBannister86

Dykes on 12:59 - Nov 14 by ActonExile

My quote doesn't say whether they would have him, it states would they swap their number 1 centre forward for ours.
As i said 'i doubt many would'.

Maybe. I'm just dreading him becoming the next scapegoat, because it isn't going to do us any favours. If we are going to stay up, we desperately need Lyndon back to his best.
Dykes on 13:26 - Nov 14 with 1542 viewsLoyalitat

Dykes on 12:51 - Nov 14 by GaryBannister86

Nonsense, all bar the top few would have him like a shot if they could afford him.

Funny how our fans seem to know more than Warnock, Steve Clarke, Mark Warburton?

Find the tape of Warnock talking about Dykes. I would back his opinion above Tony Blooming Thorpe.

Yeah because his unique selling point is creating space for others, apparently. It's the responsibility of others to score goals, not the striker and very well remunerated, lethal Lyndon.

I'll be amazed if we recoup what we paid for Dykes over 3 years ago. We only received one bid for Dykes in the summer, if that were to be believed. That's hardly a stampede for his prized signature.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2023 13:35]
Dykes on 13:42 - Nov 14 with 1468 viewsAntti_Heinola

I think as always with any player who polarises opinion, the truth is mundane and in the middle.
Dykes has, at times, (particularly when Austin first came) been a good, effective striker. He has also had long barren spells. We’re generally better when he plays than when he doesn’t. He only signed a new contract the other month, so the club has little interest in selling, unless a decent offer came and in current form that offer (£2m plus) is unlikely.
But football, as Girona are showing, has a long, long history of players being written off only to be revitalised in the right environment by the right coach. Look at Hugill’s season with us as a god example. So he can be decent, he’s not great at the moment but context tells us, as with so many of our players, that may not he totally his fault. He’s low on form and confidence. A goal or two, some time with Cifuentes, could help him get the sort of form we have seen in the past back.

Bare bones.

Dykes on 13:43 - Nov 14 with 1455 viewsDTIG

Dykes on 12:51 - Nov 14 by GaryBannister86

Here we go again. How many more people do you need to listen to on here before you come to realise that you are literally the only person who thinks Dykes is any good what so ever?

"back to his best" ???? this is his best!

Is he you love child or long lost brother? It can be the only reason you seem to be so blinkered to the facts....despite you keep banging on about Warnock Clarke and Warburton.

Did you watch him play on Saturday...and last Saturday? He literally did nothing of any use, at all, and almost never does. I was hoping that since our last conversation about him that he might have gone some way to prove me (and everyone else) wrong and I could start to see some reasoning behind your unwavering support of him....but I'm going to have to stick to the love child theory I'm afraid! :-)
Dykes on 13:46 - Nov 14 with 1440 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes on 09:37 - Nov 14 by gazza1

You can bring in other players into the equation PRR but as I have stated he fails to do stuff when he is fed the ball or has the ball as an outlet - he just does not do the stuff I would expect of a QPR CF.

You do not need to tell me that he is not a prolific goalscorer, the stats tell me that & I watch him playing many times!!!

He really is not good enough, I really do not understand why you are so supportive of such a poor & 'proper' limited, CF. Our forward line must do better as well as our forward thinking players.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2023 9:38]

Gazza,

Steve Clarke invariably selects Lyndon Dykes ahead of Che Adams, who had a very good scoring run in the Championship with Birmingham, and was subsequently bought by Southampton for just short of £17m - why is this?

I would suggest Steve Clarke, who is alledgedly a very highly rated coach, does this because he understands football is an 11 man team game and the days of relying on a Clive Allen type Centre Forward scoring 30+ goals and carrying your attack is a rarity rather than the norm.

Clarke, Warnock and presumably Warburton (who bought Dykes to be a focal point for his 10's and Wingbacks) I would suggest look at Dykes's all-round game and not just his goals to games ratio (which is surprisingly similar to Che Adams and Tony Thorpe apparently).

Dykes for me had a decent game on Saturday, as pressed the Bristol City back 4 single-handedly for 75 minutes (in comparison to Bristol City who pressed with 3 narrow forwards) allowing our wide men retreated to cover their full-backs leaving Dykes up top pinning back the 2 Centre Backs and stopping them travelling with the ball, which he did very well (I can't recall Dickie travelling with the ball as we know he can, before Dykes was substituted). In comparison to when Dykes was subbed and Armstrong almost immediately gassed out after one sprint and their Centre Halves were able to step up to the highway line in the absence of any press to put us on the back foot in the last 15 minutes.

Dykes also beat both their Centre Halves consistently in the air (as seen on the Match Report photo's), held the ball up well (even when he lost his footing he kept the ball alive to create one of our few chances) and made good space for himself for Dickie's knock-down but did'nt make a clean enough contact, and should have done better. As he should have done with that early header when Dickie and the other Centre Half were holding his shirt in the 6 yard box.

Regards our crossing, we know from Austin's time here and our corner-kicks the quality is poor, however arguably Dykes's needs to do better but this is difficult because:

- Smyth: invariably over hits his crosses, so as the lone striker in the box you need to be at the back of the penalty area and even attacking the back post is a risk as ball is likely going over your head, you're then criticized for not being on your toes and attacking the near post

- Willock: is more consistent but will turn his man once or twice before delivering, invariably a lofted ball to be attacked from the far post

- Chair: I'll refer to his corners and leave it there and just add Kakay is probably the most consistent crosser of a ball at the club as you know he will keep it simple by pushing it past his man, crossing 1st time, invariably into the penalty spot area

If you looks at Dykes few goals this season and saves he has forced the opposition keepers to make (eg Leeds in last 5) you see a player on his toes, anticipating and still giving an option late in the game (see Willock's late chance at Rotherham).

Dykes is'nt playing at his best right now, but very few are given recent trauma, but Dykes is not the root cause of our problems, its a static midfield which has'nt contributed assists or goals in all his time at the club, to the point we thought Luke Amos was the next Frank Lampard as he had the temerity to break the line and occasionally get up in support of our loan striker.

Dykes deserves more respect from our support as never gives less that his all, has played on after heavy head knocks (WBA at home Barbet game), come back early from injury and pneumonia to help the cause and some of the phrasing / wording in recent match reports is both inaccurate and unbecoming in my opinion.
Dykes on 13:47 - Nov 14 with 1435 viewsGaryBannister86

Dykes on 13:43 - Nov 14 by DTIG

Here we go again. How many more people do you need to listen to on here before you come to realise that you are literally the only person who thinks Dykes is any good what so ever?

"back to his best" ???? this is his best!

Is he you love child or long lost brother? It can be the only reason you seem to be so blinkered to the facts....despite you keep banging on about Warnock Clarke and Warburton.

Did you watch him play on Saturday...and last Saturday? He literally did nothing of any use, at all, and almost never does. I was hoping that since our last conversation about him that he might have gone some way to prove me (and everyone else) wrong and I could start to see some reasoning behind your unwavering support of him....but I'm going to have to stick to the love child theory I'm afraid! :-)

Yes, I was there thanks, and he didn't play well. Even then, the second he was taken off, Bristol City threatened persistently for the first time in the game. His presence, used properly, can make a difference.

If you think this is his best, then you didn't see him play well in previous seasons. He can play well, he can make space for others. He can even score a goal or two.That is all I am saying.

I have one child by marriage, and that is more than enough for me :-)

Regards

Mrs Dykes
Dykes on 13:53 - Nov 14 with 1411 viewsdaveB

Dykes on 12:24 - Nov 13 by ParkRoyalR

Dominated by Dickie?

Dickie provided the assist for our only shot on target with a superb knockdown header to Dykes on the edge of the box, yet again demonstrating in case we forgot just how weak he is physically when put under any pressure.

The one time is our problem, one decent ball in an average 90 minutes and if either Dykes (or Armstrong who had a better ball from Kakay to attack) are not in the right place at the right time that's game over for us.

We have to create more.

I thought Dickie won almost everything in the air against Dykes and despite that mistake the shot was comfortably blocks, possibly by Dickie but might be wrong there

I don't think we can keep making the excuse for Dykes about not creating chances, he was missing open goals under Beale and had a whole team set up to hit him with crosses under Ainsworth and never looked like scoring. Last 2 games had 2 perfect crosses and was nowhere near either of them, ideally you create 6/7 chances for your forward but that's just not going to happen

he needs to do a lot more imo
Dykes on 13:59 - Nov 14 with 1395 viewsLongRanger

Dykes has been out of form for a long time, but shows enough for scotland to suggest he can be decent, albeit not prolific, but I wish everyone would give him 10 games under the new manager before deciding whether we should do whatever with him.

He's clearly a confidence player, we have a new manager who will be rapidly be changing the way we play and have time to work with him, so can we make a decision on whether Dykes fits into how we play under this manager in January, instead of writing him off now.

I'd imagine Harry Kane would have been a bit rubbish playing in that Ainsworth team.
Dykes on 14:01 - Nov 14 with 1386 viewsLoyalitat

Dykes on 13:46 - Nov 14 by ParkRoyalR

Gazza,

Steve Clarke invariably selects Lyndon Dykes ahead of Che Adams, who had a very good scoring run in the Championship with Birmingham, and was subsequently bought by Southampton for just short of £17m - why is this?

I would suggest Steve Clarke, who is alledgedly a very highly rated coach, does this because he understands football is an 11 man team game and the days of relying on a Clive Allen type Centre Forward scoring 30+ goals and carrying your attack is a rarity rather than the norm.

Clarke, Warnock and presumably Warburton (who bought Dykes to be a focal point for his 10's and Wingbacks) I would suggest look at Dykes's all-round game and not just his goals to games ratio (which is surprisingly similar to Che Adams and Tony Thorpe apparently).

Dykes for me had a decent game on Saturday, as pressed the Bristol City back 4 single-handedly for 75 minutes (in comparison to Bristol City who pressed with 3 narrow forwards) allowing our wide men retreated to cover their full-backs leaving Dykes up top pinning back the 2 Centre Backs and stopping them travelling with the ball, which he did very well (I can't recall Dickie travelling with the ball as we know he can, before Dykes was substituted). In comparison to when Dykes was subbed and Armstrong almost immediately gassed out after one sprint and their Centre Halves were able to step up to the highway line in the absence of any press to put us on the back foot in the last 15 minutes.

Dykes also beat both their Centre Halves consistently in the air (as seen on the Match Report photo's), held the ball up well (even when he lost his footing he kept the ball alive to create one of our few chances) and made good space for himself for Dickie's knock-down but did'nt make a clean enough contact, and should have done better. As he should have done with that early header when Dickie and the other Centre Half were holding his shirt in the 6 yard box.

Regards our crossing, we know from Austin's time here and our corner-kicks the quality is poor, however arguably Dykes's needs to do better but this is difficult because:

- Smyth: invariably over hits his crosses, so as the lone striker in the box you need to be at the back of the penalty area and even attacking the back post is a risk as ball is likely going over your head, you're then criticized for not being on your toes and attacking the near post

- Willock: is more consistent but will turn his man once or twice before delivering, invariably a lofted ball to be attacked from the far post

- Chair: I'll refer to his corners and leave it there and just add Kakay is probably the most consistent crosser of a ball at the club as you know he will keep it simple by pushing it past his man, crossing 1st time, invariably into the penalty spot area

If you looks at Dykes few goals this season and saves he has forced the opposition keepers to make (eg Leeds in last 5) you see a player on his toes, anticipating and still giving an option late in the game (see Willock's late chance at Rotherham).

Dykes is'nt playing at his best right now, but very few are given recent trauma, but Dykes is not the root cause of our problems, its a static midfield which has'nt contributed assists or goals in all his time at the club, to the point we thought Luke Amos was the next Frank Lampard as he had the temerity to break the line and occasionally get up in support of our loan striker.

Dykes deserves more respect from our support as never gives less that his all, has played on after heavy head knocks (WBA at home Barbet game), come back early from injury and pneumonia to help the cause and some of the phrasing / wording in recent match reports is both inaccurate and unbecoming in my opinion.

"If you looks at Dykes few goals this season".

Correction: he's only scored one this season. I genuinely wish it were a few more for us.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2023 14:09]
Dykes on 14:01 - Nov 14 with 1391 viewsDTIG

Dykes on 13:47 - Nov 14 by GaryBannister86

Yes, I was there thanks, and he didn't play well. Even then, the second he was taken off, Bristol City threatened persistently for the first time in the game. His presence, used properly, can make a difference.

If you think this is his best, then you didn't see him play well in previous seasons. He can play well, he can make space for others. He can even score a goal or two.That is all I am saying.

I have one child by marriage, and that is more than enough for me :-)

Regards

Mrs Dykes

haha brilliant! :-)
Dykes on 14:09 - Nov 14 with 1341 viewsParkRoyalR

Dykes on 13:53 - Nov 14 by daveB

I thought Dickie won almost everything in the air against Dykes and despite that mistake the shot was comfortably blocks, possibly by Dickie but might be wrong there

I don't think we can keep making the excuse for Dykes about not creating chances, he was missing open goals under Beale and had a whole team set up to hit him with crosses under Ainsworth and never looked like scoring. Last 2 games had 2 perfect crosses and was nowhere near either of them, ideally you create 6/7 chances for your forward but that's just not going to happen

Match Report photo's show Dykes dominating Dickie in the air and the block after Dickie's gift was by another defender, a top level goal scorer and that's a goal conceding error coming from what was always Dickie's achilles, being weak in contact.

Smyth's cross at Rotherham was 1st class as was Kakay's for Armstrong on Saturday, in both cases the crosses were just marginally too far ahead of the players for them to make contact, although Dykes's was closer and he should have bullied the defender out of the way and made contact.

Would argue Ainsworth didnt actually play the way we all thought he would (with wingers getting to the bye-line) and the way you describe, only discernible attacking strategy was a ball over the top to Armstrong, which I used when coaching my lads U14's team.

I agree he needs to do more and go on a goal-scoring run just cannot see it with our current rigid midfield, although last 15 minutes with EDB's getting up to support the attack shows there is hope if Marti picks the right players in the right formation.
Dykes on 14:28 - Nov 14 with 1304 viewsNorthernr

Dykes on 14:09 - Nov 14 by ParkRoyalR

Match Report photo's show Dykes dominating Dickie in the air and the block after Dickie's gift was by another defender, a top level goal scorer and that's a goal conceding error coming from what was always Dickie's achilles, being weak in contact.

Smyth's cross at Rotherham was 1st class as was Kakay's for Armstrong on Saturday, in both cases the crosses were just marginally too far ahead of the players for them to make contact, although Dykes's was closer and he should have bullied the defender out of the way and made contact.

Would argue Ainsworth didnt actually play the way we all thought he would (with wingers getting to the bye-line) and the way you describe, only discernible attacking strategy was a ball over the top to Armstrong, which I used when coaching my lads U14's team.

I agree he needs to do more and go on a goal-scoring run just cannot see it with our current rigid midfield, although last 15 minutes with EDB's getting up to support the attack shows there is hope if Marti picks the right players in the right formation.

"Match Report photo's show Dykes dominating Dickie in the air"

Come on that is an absolute stretch. Two still photographs, from the 60 we published, from the 120 we got sent, from 95 minutes of football? Pretty desperate if that's your evidence that Dykes was anything other than complete sht on Saturday.
Dykes on 14:32 - Nov 14 with 1284 viewsLoyalitat

Dykes on 14:28 - Nov 14 by Northernr

"Match Report photo's show Dykes dominating Dickie in the air"

Come on that is an absolute stretch. Two still photographs, from the 60 we published, from the 120 we got sent, from 95 minutes of football? Pretty desperate if that's your evidence that Dykes was anything other than complete sht on Saturday.

Dykes on 14:32 - Nov 14 with 1283 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Dykes on 13:53 - Nov 14 by daveB

Aerial duels:

Dickie 9 won 5
Dykes 11 won 5

https://www.sofascore.com/bristol-city-queens-park-rangers/bsib#11371600

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Dykes on 15:05 - Nov 14 with 1194 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dykes on 13:59 - Nov 14 by LongRanger

Dykes has been out of form for a long time, but shows enough for scotland to suggest he can be decent, albeit not prolific, but I wish everyone would give him 10 games under the new manager before deciding whether we should do whatever with him.

He's clearly a confidence player, we have a new manager who will be rapidly be changing the way we play and have time to work with him, so can we make a decision on whether Dykes fits into how we play under this manager in January, instead of writing him off now.

I'd imagine Harry Kane would have been a bit rubbish playing in that Ainsworth team.

First two paragraphs exactly where I am.
Dykes on 15:07 - Nov 14 with 1198 viewsdaveB

Dykes on 14:09 - Nov 14 by ParkRoyalR

If he dominated Dickie on Saturday I must have been at a different game

He was crap, not saying he is always crap but he didn't play well on the weekend
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024