Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Ospreys 21:49 - Apr 24 with 1453 viewssw02sea

I know this is a Swansea football site, but as they shared our stadium, and represent our city (plus Neath) I feel duty bound to ask for your views on this situation ~~>

Talks tomorrow with the CEO of The Ospreys and the Council, concerning their move to St Helens.
That will probably mean the end of cricket at his historic cricketing venue.
I’ll always remember Sir Gary Sobers hitting the very first televised, 6 sixes in an over, and many more memories of Glamorgan beating touring sides, and winning The Championship, especially in 1969.
Spent many an hour down there as a kid watching The Glams in the summer, and The Swans in the summer.
It will be a sad day if this happens, but I do appreciate the other side of the coin, that the ratepayers of Swansea had a big part to play in the running of it.
There’s talk of turning the rugby pitch 90%, and building a hotel at the Wreck end, all privately funded.
What (if any) are you views ?

The Ospreys on 22:02 - Apr 24 with 1420 viewsmax936

Glamorgan as long since gone, I think it makes sense to refurb St Helens and make it the home of Ospreys, what else can they do with the old ground? only thing I'll say is that the watering holes that were once around St Helens have long since gone, maybe it'll give an opportunity for an entrepreneur to invest in a building and make a boozer out of it.?

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

The Ospreys on 22:30 - Apr 24 with 1371 viewsKeithHaynes

The move will ensure the Swans don’t have to continually find extra cash to help out the rugby, which for me has been a joke since the abandonment of the structure we all grew up with. Can’t be a bad thing they are leaving.

As for cricket, well, we know where that continually ends up.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The Ospreys on 22:37 - Apr 24 with 1344 viewsDr_Winston

The Ospreys on 22:30 - Apr 24 by KeithHaynes

The move will ensure the Swans don’t have to continually find extra cash to help out the rugby, which for me has been a joke since the abandonment of the structure we all grew up with. Can’t be a bad thing they are leaving.

As for cricket, well, we know where that continually ends up.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I had been told before that the Ospreys games mostly run at a loss, a loss that has to be made up by the stadium managers (The Swans basically), but that's the first time I've seen anyone else reference it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Ospreys on 23:04 - Apr 24 with 1307 viewsonehunglow

Should never have lost the Swansea name and worse join up with Neath
It finished me .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The Ospreys on 00:24 - Apr 25 with 1270 viewsRobbie

St Helens for Glamorgan Cricket back in the day was my childhood venue in them glorious sunny Summers days , along side the Vetch of course . in the Winter .

Glamorgan/Cardiff Cricket Club have discarded Swansea as a go to spectator attraction so lets pump millions into Sophia Gardens for one T20 whack it game , 50 notes for a seat too.

Face it , Glamorgan will never return to Swansea , Neath will have a few keep the locals happy games , job done for Cardiff Cricket Club .

Surely The Ospreys must go to The Gnoll , will Neef die hards welcome The All Whites .

Some of the limited access I have to Welsh Rugby TV screening , S4C , Scrum 5 , etc , show very low attendances at Liberty and Parc Y Scarlets , camera angles decive the viewer .

English Premiership Rugby games , as I see on my telebox are full on with good crowds .

WRU are failing big time in running Welsh Rugby .

Seems the protected 6 Nations TV deal is up for the highest bidder in 2026 , bad news .
The Ospreys on 01:03 - Apr 25 with 1253 viewsscruffyjack

Had some great times at St Helens, both rugby but especially cricket. Since Glamorgan decided to become cardiff cricket club there is no point in protecting that heritage, as much as I hate saying it.
The Ospreys on 11:19 - Apr 25 with 1034 viewsKeithHaynes

The Ospreys on 22:37 - Apr 24 by Dr_Winston

I had been told before that the Ospreys games mostly run at a loss, a loss that has to be made up by the stadium managers (The Swans basically), but that's the first time I've seen anyone else reference it.

That’s the deal.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

The Ospreys on 12:37 - Apr 25 with 974 viewsmajorraglan

The Ospreys were initially called the Swansea and Neath Ospreys or vice versa, but they were actually supposed to represent the wider area including Aberavon /Port Talbot and I believe Maesteg too, in my opinion the name issue didn’t help the wider area, but it would have created ties with the existing supporters of Swansea and Neath RFC.

St Helens has a great playing surface, but it’s a terrible ground and the access isn’t great either. The Osprey’s best option is a new build ground with a much smaller capacity, I’d have said Swansea City centre somewhere, maybe the docks, repurpose the area around County Hall, develop some of the car parking etc.

The Gnoll is also out dated, but while it’s in the middle of Neath close to pubs etc, it’s primarily a residential area. The Talbot Athletic ground is bigger, but it’s old and tired too. I’m discounting Bridgend because it’s too far east, but it is the best of the 4 club grounds.
Login to get fewer ads

The Ospreys on 12:59 - Apr 25 with 944 viewsReslovenSwan1

I expect Coleman is planning to replace the Ospreys ( who the club does not own) with the Swansea city Women's team. Let's face it this brand in growing and they could match the Ospreys pathetic crowds in time. I would give them a new name for branding purposes. Dinas Abertawe.

Welsh rugby thinking is bonkers. They make rules to encourage Welsh player to play in Wales then complain when English based Welshmen chose England. Their answer for small crowd is smaller stadiums. A strategy of shrinkage.

Welsh sports management. I prefer the 'Yanks' or the " sell outs".

Wise sage since Toshack era

The Ospreys on 16:54 - Apr 25 with 842 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The Ospreys on 00:24 - Apr 25 by Robbie

St Helens for Glamorgan Cricket back in the day was my childhood venue in them glorious sunny Summers days , along side the Vetch of course . in the Winter .

Glamorgan/Cardiff Cricket Club have discarded Swansea as a go to spectator attraction so lets pump millions into Sophia Gardens for one T20 whack it game , 50 notes for a seat too.

Face it , Glamorgan will never return to Swansea , Neath will have a few keep the locals happy games , job done for Cardiff Cricket Club .

Surely The Ospreys must go to The Gnoll , will Neef die hards welcome The All Whites .

Some of the limited access I have to Welsh Rugby TV screening , S4C , Scrum 5 , etc , show very low attendances at Liberty and Parc Y Scarlets , camera angles decive the viewer .

English Premiership Rugby games , as I see on my telebox are full on with good crowds .

WRU are failing big time in running Welsh Rugby .

Seems the protected 6 Nations TV deal is up for the highest bidder in 2026 , bad news .

Cardiff Dragons and Newport get even worse attendance than the Opreys and Scarlets.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

The Ospreys on 09:16 - Apr 26 with 644 viewsAnotherJohn

The Ospreys on 22:02 - Apr 24 by max936

Glamorgan as long since gone, I think it makes sense to refurb St Helens and make it the home of Ospreys, what else can they do with the old ground? only thing I'll say is that the watering holes that were once around St Helens have long since gone, maybe it'll give an opportunity for an entrepreneur to invest in a building and make a boozer out of it.?

Watering holes gone? Sadly. the Cricketers has. but there is now the Secret Beach Bar across the Mumbles road, and you could get a pint with your curry in Adelina's right next door, as well as the Rugby club bar. The Rhyddings and the Pub -on-the-Pond are walkable and still there, as are 3 pubs on Bryn-Y-Mor Road, plus the Wig and Pen around the corner. Along the seafront east are the Bayview and the pubs in the Sandfields. Did I miss something else closing?

As regards access, I don't think St Helen's is that bad. I would always drive home from the M4 direction that way rather than through town and Walter Road. There are good sized car parks at the Rec and behind the Pub-on-the-Pond, plus two smaller seafront car parks nearby.. Moreover, if a deal could be done with the university there are big car parks on the Singleton Park site that are largely unused at weekends.
[Post edited 26 Apr 16:11]
The Ospreys on 09:30 - Apr 26 with 629 viewsvetchonian

The Ospreys on 09:16 - Apr 26 by AnotherJohn

Watering holes gone? Sadly. the Cricketers has. but there is now the Secret Beach Bar across the Mumbles road, and you could get a pint with your curry in Adelina's right next door, as well as the Rugby club bar. The Rhyddings and the Pub -on-the-Pond are walkable and still there, as are 3 pubs on Bryn-Y-Mor Road, plus the Wig and Pen around the corner. Along the seafront east are the Bayview and the pubs in the Sandfields. Did I miss something else closing?

As regards access, I don't think St Helen's is that bad. I would always drive home from the M4 direction that way rather than through town and Walter Road. There are good sized car parks at the Rec and behind the Pub-on-the-Pond, plus two smaller seafront car parks nearby.. Moreover, if a deal could be done with the university there are big car parks on the Singleton Park site that are largely unused at weekends.

The Rhdinngs is boarded up but The Bay View Wig and pen Brunswick have always been pre rugby match watering holes

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

The Ospreys on 09:35 - Apr 26 with 623 viewsAnotherJohn

The Ospreys on 09:30 - Apr 26 by vetchonian

The Rhdinngs is boarded up but The Bay View Wig and pen Brunswick have always been pre rugby match watering holes

Pity about the Rhyddings - I hadn't noticed that had closed. As I mentioned, the newish seafront bar is very close.

P.S. Looks like the Rhyddings will re-open soon.

https://www.starpubs.co.uk/pubs/rhyddings-hotel-swansea
[Post edited 26 Apr 10:00]
The Ospreys on 15:20 - Apr 26 with 499 viewsTogg

A good few boozers in the Uplands plus the club house
The Ospreys on 20:32 - Apr 26 with 397 viewsmax936

The Ospreys on 09:16 - Apr 26 by AnotherJohn

Fair points Jonny

The Ospreys on 20:52 - Apr 26 with 378 viewsmax936

The Ospreys on 09:35 - Apr 26 by AnotherJohn

Pity about the Rhyddings - I hadn't noticed that had closed. As I mentioned, the newish seafront bar is very close.

P.S. Looks like the Rhyddings will re-open soon.

https://www.starpubs.co.uk/pubs/rhyddings-hotel-swansea
[Post edited 26 Apr 10:00]

The Secret Beach Bar you need a second mortgage before you and a few mates go there for a gargle before a game, strewth!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024