Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. 10:03 - Oct 1 with 30660 viewsDiscodroids

dave dee dozy beaky mick and titch ..east ham granada 1965...supplied them french blues and purple hearts. titch fell off stage as a result

alexander oneal 1987 hammersmith odeon, he took me by the hand and led me to a four poster during, "if you were here tonight'.magical.

phil fearon and galaxy ..central park east ham 1985.....pulled some fast moves to 'dancin' tight'.had my picture taken with tom baker for newham recorder.'good food costs less at sainsburys' so he tells me.

jimmy hendrix @ montery 1967, i lent him me zippo for the grand finale.still havent got it back.

skrewdriver @ poulten, lancs 1980.jaunty ethnic cleansing group.played along to the big family number 'free my land with blood and honor' on the spoons.

rolling stones @altamont 1969. i was responsible for security.still got a lovely blood splatterd leather jacket indoors with a skull and cross bones on it.

joy division electric circus @manchester 1977. lead singer a bit long in the boat.told him a few one liners .didnt help much it seems.

talking heads los angeles@1984. psycho killer qu'est-ce que c'est ??.thats all very well, but the suit is still to fuc king tight.

Rusty Egan/spandau ballet at the Blitz @COVENT GARDEN 1979.....To cut a long story short i lost my mind after seeing Kirk brandon commit the 'original sin' with boy george in trap 3.

pattil labelle/ micheal mcdonald@wembley arena 185, with bromley hoop..we had it all god damn it...

it was a mess of good years.

in all seriousness orbitol, alexander palace NYE @1996, kraftwerk , luton hoo @1997
nirvana ,reading @1992, the cure , wembley arena @1991.. suede , brixton acdamy @1992. tom tom club , electric ballroom @1998 ish.

shat myself at the public enemy gig brixton acadmy @1989.

[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 10:30]

A Number One.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:55 - Oct 1 with 3294 viewslondonscottish

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:25 - Oct 1 by simmo

I've always found Lenny Kravitz songwriting lazy but he was class that day, really got the crowd going... I have a few abiding memories, as you would as a 15 year old spending the day in a sun baked Wembley, including seeing Liam Gallagher near the bar and asking him if he'd seen anyone famous. He looked at me like he wanted to rip my head off :-D

When I saw him he had the whole of the Academy rocking.

Went along expecting a good to middling gig and was blown away.

Same as when I went to see Blur live around the time of Park Life. Didn't really get the album, loved the way they wigged out live.

Same goes for That Petrol Emotion now I think about it.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:56 - Oct 1 with 3294 viewsNov77

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:29 - Oct 1 by TheBlob

The British Blues Boom was an amazing time for a 15 year old,all these exotic black guys showing up,amazing.I spent a very pleasant afternoon in the seventies in the company of blues legend Lowell Fulson,one of the best days of my life really.Some of the stories about forties Chicago and race relations were right old eye poppers.

I'd love to have been a teenager in the sixties. I'd have been watching rodney on a Saturday afternoon then heading down to richmond in the evening to see the stones, Clapton, Peter green etc.
Saw Peter green about ten years ago when he made a brief comeback but he was only a shell of what he had been.
I think the fleetwood Mac live in boston (tea party?) album is one of the best ever. green and Danny Kirwan were amazing then.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:00 - Oct 1 with 3284 viewslondonscottish

Totally forgot the Sly and Robbie Taxi Gang gig at the academy in 89.

Massive fan of Sly and Robbie. The acted as the house band for a whole stream of Taxi acts then did their own freeform reggae/dub/jazz thing live.

Utterly unique and brilliant.

Which suddenly makes me remenber Bill Brufford on his tonal drums back in the 80's. Playing entire songs with harmonies and melodies all the same time. Incredible.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:04 - Oct 1 with 3280 viewsR_from_afar

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 16:05 - Oct 1 by BostonR

AC/DC - 1975 - Red Cow Hammersmith.
Led Zep - 1975 - Knebworth.
AC/DC - 1977 - Hammersmith Odeon - HighWay To Hell Tour.
Rory Gallagher - 1977 - Hammersmith Odeon.
Status Quo - 1977 - Hammersmith Odeon.
Sweet - 1978 - Hammersmith Odeon - Farewell Tour
Ten Years After - 1978 - Hammersmith Odeon.
Black Sabbath & Van Halen - 1978 - Hammersmith Odeon.
UFO - 1978 - Hammersmith Odeon
Budgie - 1979 - Hammersmith Odeon.
ZZ Top - 1979 - Hammersmith Odeon.
AC/DC - 1980 - Victoria Apollo - First Brian Johnson concert!
U2 - 1982 (I think) Wembley Arena
Lou Reed - 1988 - London Palladium.
Prince - 1988 - Wembley Arena.
AC/DC - 1988 - Wembley Arena.
Chris Rea - 1989 - Wembley Arena.
BB King - 1990 - South Bank.
Honourable mentions - Rush, Tangerine Dream & Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Great list, I am very envious! No offence but I was too young to see the likes of Led Zep and Budgie in their pomp.

Which Tangerine Dream tour was it? I am intrigued that they are on your list. I feel they peaked about 1979 - the "Force Majeure" album is to my mind one of the top five electronic albums of all time yet hugely underrated. Some of the early 80s stuff was OK but by the time I went to see them, in the 90s, they had become very MOR.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:05 - Oct 1 with 3277 viewssimmo

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:55 - Oct 1 by londonscottish

When I saw him he had the whole of the Academy rocking.

Went along expecting a good to middling gig and was blown away.

Same as when I went to see Blur live around the time of Park Life. Didn't really get the album, loved the way they wigged out live.

Same goes for That Petrol Emotion now I think about it.

Your Blur summary is how I felt about Kasabian. Some tracks are good but I wasn't a huge fan, it all changed when I saw them on stage though. One of those bands that are all about live performances rather than the studio. They were better live than Oasis in some ways.

As that was the only time I saw Kravitz, can only assume he is also shithot every time he's live!

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:16 - Oct 1 with 3270 viewsSomersetHoops

Jimmi Hendrix at the Thames Hotel in Windsor. I was amazed at how such a fantastic player could play at such an intimate venue - it was loud and I was right at the front. Probably contributed to my bad hearing, but almost worth it. On the following week (or possibly the week after) the original Cream lie-up were on and at the time I thought Hendrix had blown them away. I didn't know how such great bands got booked to a venue I could walk to. For those old rockers like me I remember the Ricky-Tick in Windsor which started at the Star & Garter pub and moved to the old Manor house on the site where the swimming pool now is. A great place with a TV room where all the guys went when Match of the Day was on while the girls danced round their handbags. Georgie Fame, Brian Auger, julie Driscoll, Geno Washington and one new years eve (69-70 I think)the Stones were on and I think it was Muddy Waters joined them on the stage. Lots of alc. and the main thing I can remember was it was a great night.

I must give an honourable mention to Screaming Lord Sutch in his rock days he came on in a coffin dressed as a skeleton with a tall black hat to some sort of fireworks had three blond guy guitarists and I think a leather clad girl drummer and really rocked the place. A great showman in his pomp. I think it was the Ex-Servicemen's club, but I don't know how the old soldiers in there allowed that booking. Loads more including many that didn't impress me much, so are probably best forgotten - ah the sixties - was anyone else around for any of the gigs I mentioned?

Partly due to my encouragement and an inborn love of rock music my daughters are into it now so I have a chance to be one of the oldest rockers around and get to see quite a few gigs with them (although sometimes they like to pretend they aren't with me) I was quite taken by Green Day at the Emirates. A great show and long almost non-stop set which impressed me as Billy-Joe hadn't been long out of re-hab.

Who's Next?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:38 - Oct 1 with 3250 viewsTheBlob

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:16 - Oct 1 by SomersetHoops

Jimmi Hendrix at the Thames Hotel in Windsor. I was amazed at how such a fantastic player could play at such an intimate venue - it was loud and I was right at the front. Probably contributed to my bad hearing, but almost worth it. On the following week (or possibly the week after) the original Cream lie-up were on and at the time I thought Hendrix had blown them away. I didn't know how such great bands got booked to a venue I could walk to. For those old rockers like me I remember the Ricky-Tick in Windsor which started at the Star & Garter pub and moved to the old Manor house on the site where the swimming pool now is. A great place with a TV room where all the guys went when Match of the Day was on while the girls danced round their handbags. Georgie Fame, Brian Auger, julie Driscoll, Geno Washington and one new years eve (69-70 I think)the Stones were on and I think it was Muddy Waters joined them on the stage. Lots of alc. and the main thing I can remember was it was a great night.

I must give an honourable mention to Screaming Lord Sutch in his rock days he came on in a coffin dressed as a skeleton with a tall black hat to some sort of fireworks had three blond guy guitarists and I think a leather clad girl drummer and really rocked the place. A great showman in his pomp. I think it was the Ex-Servicemen's club, but I don't know how the old soldiers in there allowed that booking. Loads more including many that didn't impress me much, so are probably best forgotten - ah the sixties - was anyone else around for any of the gigs I mentioned?

Partly due to my encouragement and an inborn love of rock music my daughters are into it now so I have a chance to be one of the oldest rockers around and get to see quite a few gigs with them (although sometimes they like to pretend they aren't with me) I was quite taken by Green Day at the Emirates. A great show and long almost non-stop set which impressed me as Billy-Joe hadn't been long out of re-hab.

Never got up as far as Windsor.We went to places like Klooks Kleek,Half Moon Putney,Toby Jug Tolworth,Manor House norf London,Marquee,Speakeasy,Lyceum.....Jimi did some strange gigs - end of some south coast pier if I remember and the one me and me bruv saw a couple of times in the very bowels of the earth - Chislehurst Caves.Clark Hutchinson bought some amps and cabinets off him which were later nicked out of the van.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:39 - Oct 1 with 3249 viewsHantsR

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:16 - Oct 1 by SomersetHoops

Poor Screaming Lord Sutch! My mate Dave was really chuffed to be asked to back him on guitar for a Heinz (Burt) benefit show locally here in Hampshire. Sadly, the aforementioned peer topped himself a week before the concert - my mate still sad about that.
Login to get fewer ads

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:45 - Oct 1 with 3242 viewsHantsR

Pink Floyd at the Rainbow 1972 - Dark Side of the Moon preview

Bardney Lincoln folk festival 1971 - Tom Paxton, Buffy St Marie, Byrds, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Dion, Pentangle, Sandy Denny, James Taylor and many others

Bonzo Dog Dooo Dah Band at various SE London colleges
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:54 - Oct 1 with 3237 viewsbatmanhoop

so many places you could go to see acts, many free. Red Cow, Nashville Rooms, Greyhound, Half Moon. How many are there still going I wonder?
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 19:02 - Oct 1 with 3225 viewsHantsR

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:54 - Oct 1 by batmanhoop

so many places you could go to see acts, many free. Red Cow, Nashville Rooms, Greyhound, Half Moon. How many are there still going I wonder?

Agreed. I lived in SE London and the local, most un-prepossessing venue was the Glenlyn Ballroom (now a snooker joint) in Forest Hill. However, around 1964 I remember bands like The Who, Yardbirds and Kinks performed there. I think the Stones and Byrds also. Some of those bands plus The Herd and Four Seasons also performed at the Steatham Ice Rink.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 19:08 - Oct 1 with 3221 viewsbatmanhoop

have to pass Streatham ice-rink on a regular basis, that has just been demolished part of the regeneration around there
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 19:30 - Oct 1 with 3212 viewsTheBlob

Half Moon's still there.Roundhouse has had a major refurb,original Marquee's gone.Rainbow is still there,owned by some religious group.Loved the Rainbow,best gig in London.Didn't like the Forum,the sound was always mixed like coming through ten yards of mud.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:17 - Oct 1 with 3182 viewsted_hendrix

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:21 - Oct 1 by Monahoop

Interesting list there Blob especially on the blues front. Would loved to have seen some of those old blues masters ie Howlin Wolf. Peter Green was a huge disappointment when I saw him in 1983 in Dublin. He broke down on stage more than once, his guitar was out of tune, but his fans still applauded him. I just thought WTF is all the fuss about this bloke being a guitar genius, then it dawned on me he was f***ed up in his head through too much bad acid in the 60's. Like Hendrix, I was told when on top of his game, he was the tops live, otherwise his playing was a mess as it was that night I saw him. The next night I saw Desmond Dekker and the Aces. Hardly anyone in the audience, but he was brilliant. Old, out of style, but in tune with the moon, unlike old Green.

Forgot to mention earlier. Curtis Mayfield at Crystal Palace in 1983. Superb!

Strangely enough I saw Peter Green a fair few years ago in Basingstoke along with John Mayall, it was another come back gig and tbh Greeno looked like he didn't want to be there, he was half a second behind the rest of the band but soldiered on, his fans (me included) were happy enough just to be in the audience though.
I met him afterwards in the foyer for one of those signing things,I just said thanks shook his hand and he signed my ticket, he did look awkward though as if he just wanted to be left in peace.
Of course when he was playing with the Proper Fleetwood Mac in the 60's his guitar work and his out of phase wired Les Paul were legendary, for example put a pair of cans on and listen to "Need You're Love So Bad" It don't get much better.
Bit of a waffle but they're you go.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:31 - Oct 1 with 3175 viewsWrightUp5hit___

A few odds n sods that remain bright in the memory

Jeff Beck (With Carmine Appice and Tim Bogert) at Imperial College in 1972(?)
Hawkwind at the Roundhouse any given Sunday through 72 -74
Springsteen on The River Tour at Wembley Pool in 1981
Robin Trower at the Roundhouse 1974
Average White Band at The Marquee in 1972
The Faces AND The Who at The Oval 1971
Brett Marvin and The Thunderbolts at The Marquee no bloody idea when but they were brilliant, honest.

Plenty of more recents ie Tedeschi Trucks at The RAH last year, but the old ones burn longest
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:31 - Oct 1 with 3175 viewsSomersetHoops

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:29 - Oct 1 by TheBlob

The British Blues Boom was an amazing time for a 15 year old,all these exotic black guys showing up,amazing.I spent a very pleasant afternoon in the seventies in the company of blues legend Lowell Fulson,one of the best days of my life really.Some of the stories about forties Chicago and race relations were right old eye poppers.

This guy Canadian Colin James (nee Munn) is a great exponent of some of the type of blues music I enjoyed way back. I've never seen him live, I expect he has played over here, I he ever does in the future I want to be there.

Who's Next?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:34 - Oct 1 with 3170 viewsMonahoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:39 - Oct 1 by HantsR

Poor Screaming Lord Sutch! My mate Dave was really chuffed to be asked to back him on guitar for a Heinz (Burt) benefit show locally here in Hampshire. Sadly, the aforementioned peer topped himself a week before the concert - my mate still sad about that.

Ah Screaming Lord Sutch! Love oddball musicians and would have loved to have seen him. Some great and hilarious footage can be viewed on You Tube of him. Music needs eccentrics. There were a good few around from the 50's to the 80's, but sadly they seem to be vanishing under a sea of mediocre,joyless and manufactured pulp.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:48 - Oct 1 with 3159 viewssmegma

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 10:49 - Oct 1 by BrianMcCarthy

Planxty reunion gig in Glór, Ennis. 2004. First gigs in over twenty years from the greatest Irish trad band ever. It was like the Second Coming, the atmosphere was other-worldly, as was the music.

Close Contender:- Stone Roses in the Ally Pally, their first gig in the South. There was about fifty coaches from Manchester, hardly a Southerner in the place, and I may well have been the only lad not on something. The Roses were decent, no more, but the atmosphere was incredible. It was before their album was released, before even a single was released, and clearly the start of something huge.

My ticket for the Roses at Ally Pally cost £6 which was quite steep back then !!!
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:55 - Oct 1 with 3149 viewssmegma

Out of those four only the Half Moon is still a live venue and a half decent one at that.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:56 - Oct 1 with 3145 viewsBostonR

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 18:04 - Oct 1 by R_from_afar

Great list, I am very envious! No offence but I was too young to see the likes of Led Zep and Budgie in their pomp.

Which Tangerine Dream tour was it? I am intrigued that they are on your list. I feel they peaked about 1979 - the "Force Majeure" album is to my mind one of the top five electronic albums of all time yet hugely underrated. Some of the early 80s stuff was OK but by the time I went to see them, in the 90s, they had become very MOR.

RFA

Not sure what tour it was but it was an incredible show. They introduced some amazing guitar work which appeared on a film called Thief starring James Caan - listen to the final track on that album!

The show was almost 3hrs long.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:58 - Oct 1 with 3144 viewssmegma

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 20:17 - Oct 1 by ted_hendrix

Strangely enough I saw Peter Green a fair few years ago in Basingstoke along with John Mayall, it was another come back gig and tbh Greeno looked like he didn't want to be there, he was half a second behind the rest of the band but soldiered on, his fans (me included) were happy enough just to be in the audience though.
I met him afterwards in the foyer for one of those signing things,I just said thanks shook his hand and he signed my ticket, he did look awkward though as if he just wanted to be left in peace.
Of course when he was playing with the Proper Fleetwood Mac in the 60's his guitar work and his out of phase wired Les Paul were legendary, for example put a pair of cans on and listen to "Need You're Love So Bad" It don't get much better.
Bit of a waffle but they're you go.

When i talked to God I thought he'd understand, he said 'stick by me, I'll be your guiding hand!'

Lyrics lifted entirely by our own Mick Jones about 5 years ago.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 21:41 - Oct 1 with 3119 viewsKerryE

Brass Construction - at the Cali Dunstable circa 1977
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 21:43 - Oct 1 with 3110 viewsQPRMUSO

God, I am so left of field from you lovely lot as I am a jazzer.

Here goes:
Tribal Tech - Ronnie Scott's 2013
Deodato - Jazz Cafe 2011
Toots Thieleman - Brussels 2012
Arturo Sandoval - New York 2005
Elaine Elias - Ronnie Scott's 2010
EWF - Las Vegas 2006
Steve Wonder - Birmingham ( can't remember the year)
Snarky Puppy - London 2013
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 21:56 - Oct 1 with 3101 viewsMrSheen

Gang of Four and The Specials, Lyceum 1979
Talking Heads and U2, Palais 1980
Misty in Roots, ULU 1981
The Scars, Lyceum 1982
The Pogues, Mean Fiddler 1984
Fela Kuti, Brixton 1985

Lost interest in the years after that, only do classical concerts now.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 22:02 - Oct 1 with 3096 viewseasthertsr

My late brother saw Led Zeppelin at the Cherry Tree Welwyn Garden City ( now a Waitrose!) he said they were great. But the best I ever saw was Deep Purple at their absolute peak at the Rainbow 73/74? The loudest f@cking thing I have ever heard!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024