Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. 10:03 - Oct 1 with 30659 viewsDiscodroids

dave dee dozy beaky mick and titch ..east ham granada 1965...supplied them french blues and purple hearts. titch fell off stage as a result

alexander oneal 1987 hammersmith odeon, he took me by the hand and led me to a four poster during, "if you were here tonight'.magical.

phil fearon and galaxy ..central park east ham 1985.....pulled some fast moves to 'dancin' tight'.had my picture taken with tom baker for newham recorder.'good food costs less at sainsburys' so he tells me.

jimmy hendrix @ montery 1967, i lent him me zippo for the grand finale.still havent got it back.

skrewdriver @ poulten, lancs 1980.jaunty ethnic cleansing group.played along to the big family number 'free my land with blood and honor' on the spoons.

rolling stones @altamont 1969. i was responsible for security.still got a lovely blood splatterd leather jacket indoors with a skull and cross bones on it.

joy division electric circus @manchester 1977. lead singer a bit long in the boat.told him a few one liners .didnt help much it seems.

talking heads los angeles@1984. psycho killer qu'est-ce que c'est ??.thats all very well, but the suit is still to fuc king tight.

Rusty Egan/spandau ballet at the Blitz @COVENT GARDEN 1979.....To cut a long story short i lost my mind after seeing Kirk brandon commit the 'original sin' with boy george in trap 3.

pattil labelle/ micheal mcdonald@wembley arena 185, with bromley hoop..we had it all god damn it...

it was a mess of good years.

in all seriousness orbitol, alexander palace NYE @1996, kraftwerk , luton hoo @1997
nirvana ,reading @1992, the cure , wembley arena @1991.. suede , brixton acdamy @1992. tom tom club , electric ballroom @1998 ish.

shat myself at the public enemy gig brixton acadmy @1989.

[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 10:30]

A Number One.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:51 - Oct 1 with 4578 viewsMonahoop

Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Brighton Centre 1979.
The Jam. Brighton Centre. 1978.
Stevie Ray Vaughan at Reading 1983. No one heard of him at the time. They had when he finished that gig.
Any Wilko Johnson gig even on a bad day. Best though was at Whelans, Dublin 2011.
Steve Marriot. Half Moon, Putney.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:55 - Oct 1 with 4571 viewsJuzzie

As I worked for a record company in the 90's I went to about 25-30 a year. So many good one's. Soundgarden at the Kentish Town Forum was great. A few Therapy? and Gun one's were good too. Senser at the Kentish Town Forum was another good one, about a dozen of them on stage.

Madness in the 80's at Hammersmith Odeon and Tottenham Court Road Dominion as well as various Madstock's.

Been to loads of outdoor ones (Hyde Park, MK Bowl, Wembley old & new, Twickenham) but they just can't match the rawness of The Forum, Brixton Academy etc.

Last gig was Simple Minds at Koko Camden last year. I lived right by The Roundhouse for 15 years and went to just one gig there, such a waste!
[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 13:11]
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:58 - Oct 1 with 4567 viewsYorkRanger

In no particular order

Maze - Hammersmith Odeon
Shalamar - Dominion 1982
UB40 - multiple venues
Lisa Stansfield - Docklands
Keith Sweat - Hammersmith Odeon
Lou Rawls - Royal Albert Hall
Spandau Ballet - Angel
Paul Weller - Doncaster Dome
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:19 - Oct 1 with 4516 viewsted_hendrix

No particular order but;
Hawkwind somewhere in Reading sometime in the early 70s.
The awesome free at Bracknell sports centre Months before the brilliant Paul Kossoff passed away, Free were superb that night but Paul Kossoff was such a brilliant guitarist, easily in my top three list of guitarists.
There was a bloke in a bar in Austin Texas in a three piece band who was stunningly good, the bar was ram packed full and he went into a solo and the bar fell silent, he was that good, he owned us for a few minutes, these musicians are out there you just got to find them, don't bother looking on X Factor though.
ZZ Top were pretty good at Brixton a few Years ago as was Ray Davies when he was doing his 'Travelling Man' show, Ray Davies is a legend probably this Country s best lyricist ever.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 13:22]

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:26 - Oct 1 with 4500 viewsjohnhoop

In roughly chronological order;
Traffic at the Marquee 1968
Rory Gallagher Marquee 1969
Fairport Convention Essex Univ 1969
The Who Oval Cricket Ground 1971
Pink Floyd Earls Court 1973
David Bowie Earls Court 1973
Led Zeppelin Wembley Arena about '74
Roxy Music De Montfort hall Leicester 1975
Stranglers Brunel Univ 1978
Talking Heads supported by Dire Straits (or it might have been the other way round)
Leicester '78
Echo and the Bunnymen Rainbow theatre 1984
Plus the wife just added her favourite which was an open air Madonna Concert in Paris in 1987
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:38 - Oct 1 with 4478 viewsOldOakHoop

Hawkwind - Wormwood Scrubs Common 1970
The Who, Faces, etc. - The Oval 1971
Humble Pie - Hyde Park 1971
Iggy & The Stooges - Kings Cross Cinema 1972
Rolling Stones (with Mick Taylor) - Wembley Empire Pool 1973
Allman Bros, Van The Man & Tim Buckley - Knebworth 1974
Freddie King - Crystal Palace Bowl 1976
Little Feat - Rainbow Theatre 1977
Ian Dury & Blockheads - Hammersmith Odeon 1979
Clash - Lyceum - 1981
Ronnie Lane & Slim Chance - Half Moon Putney (way back when....)
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:49 - Oct 1 with 4456 viewsMark1

The Clash Hammersmith Palais
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:53 - Oct 1 with 4448 viewsR_from_afar

Kings X in a tiny sports hall in Milton Keynes, in the 90s. Intense atmosphere, sang my heart out. They played this hard rock classic:

Suicidal Tendencies at the Town and Country Club, also in the 90s, was a blast. Lively doesn't describe it plus they had just released the awesome "Lights...camera...revolution" album. They played this gem:

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 14:05 - Oct 1 with 4432 viewsMatch82

Saw the (reformed) Doors a few years ago at Wembley. Not the same without Morrison, obviously, but as he was brown bread before I was born, the closest I'll get.

Particularly good moment at the end, they had finished their set lights were on and arena was 80% empty, then they burst back onto stage and kicked into a rendition of Soul Kitchen - cue absolute madness. We'd stayed behind and managed to get into the first couple of rows as they came back on - just have visions of looking back towards the door and seeing streams of people burst past the security guards rushing to get back into the arena, before the Doors got dragged off stage. Pretty cool.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 14:05 - Oct 1 with 4432 viewsDiscodroids

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:38 - Oct 1 by OldOakHoop

Clash - Lyceum - 1981

ronnie lane and slim chance...... .

A Number One.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 14:29 - Oct 1 with 4404 viewsdoogi55

THE Tubes at Hamersmith

bowie so many times everyone brilliant

rainbow at the rainbow
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 14:35 - Oct 1 with 4403 viewssimmo

My memory is terrible so not sure of dates and can't be arsed to check but off the top of my head

Michael Jackson - 1992 @ Wembley - Dangerous Tour, forget the last few years when he was a joke, I fckin LOVED MJ when I was younger, I was 8 or 9 but loved it. The cnt was on a jetpack for one song...

Aerosmith/Sterephonics - 1999 (I think) @ Wembley Stadium - Also Lenny Kravitz etc, a whole day and one of my first proper gig/concerts with mates

Arctic Monkeys - 2003 maybe? @ Cardiff - Just before their first ever Glastonbury performance, they were brilliant. Still swaggering and loud, it was a boozy crowd on the edge and a great night

Jamie T - circa 2009/2010 @ Electric Ballroom, Camden - It ended up being the gig he recorded and put out with his 2nd album as bonus live material. Sweaty, high tempo, crowd surfing, mosh type affair, properly great night

Alabama 3 - 2001 @ V Festival (in a tent) - All I knew about them before I saw this gig was that they did the Sopranos theme tune, but they blew me away. The Keybord player would tilt the thing off it's stand playing it like he was the Jimi Hendrix of casios and then they brought out the 'Banjo of Love'. How could you not love 'country-acid house' music. Still my favourite gig and been a huge fan ever since.

Oasis - 2012(?) @ Wembley - Always loved them since I got Morning Glory album around 1997 - was a bit too young when they were in their pomp but saw what turned out to be their last ever gig, it was a great atmosphere. Kasabian supported too, who I can take or leave album wise but a huge stadium gig is made for them, they were brilliant.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:28 - Oct 1 with 4368 viewsHayesender

Easiest question ever.

Madstock Finsbury Park 1992.

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:37 - Oct 1 with 4367 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 14:35 - Oct 1 by simmo

My memory is terrible so not sure of dates and can't be arsed to check but off the top of my head

Michael Jackson - 1992 @ Wembley - Dangerous Tour, forget the last few years when he was a joke, I fckin LOVED MJ when I was younger, I was 8 or 9 but loved it. The cnt was on a jetpack for one song...

Aerosmith/Sterephonics - 1999 (I think) @ Wembley Stadium - Also Lenny Kravitz etc, a whole day and one of my first proper gig/concerts with mates

Arctic Monkeys - 2003 maybe? @ Cardiff - Just before their first ever Glastonbury performance, they were brilliant. Still swaggering and loud, it was a boozy crowd on the edge and a great night

Jamie T - circa 2009/2010 @ Electric Ballroom, Camden - It ended up being the gig he recorded and put out with his 2nd album as bonus live material. Sweaty, high tempo, crowd surfing, mosh type affair, properly great night

Alabama 3 - 2001 @ V Festival (in a tent) - All I knew about them before I saw this gig was that they did the Sopranos theme tune, but they blew me away. The Keybord player would tilt the thing off it's stand playing it like he was the Jimi Hendrix of casios and then they brought out the 'Banjo of Love'. How could you not love 'country-acid house' music. Still my favourite gig and been a huge fan ever since.

Oasis - 2012(?) @ Wembley - Always loved them since I got Morning Glory album around 1997 - was a bit too young when they were in their pomp but saw what turned out to be their last ever gig, it was a great atmosphere. Kasabian supported too, who I can take or leave album wise but a huge stadium gig is made for them, they were brilliant.

I was at the Aerosmith one "Toxic twin towers Ball"

3 colours Red also played lol

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:42 - Oct 1 with 4362 viewssimmo

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:37 - Oct 1 by Metallica_Hoop

I was at the Aerosmith one "Toxic twin towers Ball"

3 colours Red also played lol

Yeah that was the one! My first 2 gigs with mates rather than family or family friends etc was that and Papa Roach at the Ocean in Hackney. I couldn't remember the year though!

The Aerosmith one had 3 colours red, Lenny Kravitz, Stereophonics, Aerosmith and I think the Black Crowes.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:45 - Oct 1 with 4007 viewslondonscottish

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 12:51 - Oct 1 by Monahoop

Ian Dury and the Blockheads. Brighton Centre 1979.
The Jam. Brighton Centre. 1978.
Stevie Ray Vaughan at Reading 1983. No one heard of him at the time. They had when he finished that gig.
Any Wilko Johnson gig even on a bad day. Best though was at Whelans, Dublin 2011.
Steve Marriot. Half Moon, Putney.

I was deep into my Steve Ray Vaughan phase in 1983. He was always on my list of must-see musos. Sad loss, the man was a genius.

Actually one I forgot; Miles Davis at the Hammersmith Apollo in 1991 IIRC. Legend

And Squeeze in the Royal Albert Hall a couple of years ago.

And the Buzzcocks at Brixton Academy back in the day.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:46 - Oct 1 with 4006 viewslondonscottish

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:42 - Oct 1 by simmo

Yeah that was the one! My first 2 gigs with mates rather than family or family friends etc was that and Papa Roach at the Ocean in Hackney. I couldn't remember the year though!

The Aerosmith one had 3 colours red, Lenny Kravitz, Stereophonics, Aerosmith and I think the Black Crowes.

F8ck another one I forgot;

Lenny Kravitz, Brixton Academy, early 90's. Blew the doors off.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:57 - Oct 1 with 3992 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:42 - Oct 1 by simmo

Apparently no one told Lenny that curtain at the start of Aerosmiths set came down.
So he was standing there watching the set open when this huge curtain landed on him. The journalist who reported it said it was funny watching the cooest man on Earth extract himself from a giant curtain.

His "let love rule" sang by 90000 ran things that day.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 16:00 - Oct 1 with 3989 viewsOldOakHoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 13:38 - Oct 1 by OldOakHoop

Clash - Lyceum - 1981

Forgot this one:

Bob Marley & The Wailers - Lyceum 1975

Recall it being extremely lively at the back of the hall when two rival ragamuffin gangs decided to have a proper set to - shat myself and got out of the way sharpish!
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 16:05 - Oct 1 with 3987 viewsBostonR

AC/DC - 1975 - Red Cow Hammersmith.
Led Zep - 1975 - Knebworth.
AC/DC - 1977 - Hammersmith Odeon - HighWay To Hell Tour.
Rory Gallagher - 1977 - Hammersmith Odeon.
Status Quo - 1977 - Hammersmith Odeon.
Sweet - 1978 - Hammersmith Odeon - Farewell Tour
Ten Years After - 1978 - Hammersmith Odeon.
Black Sabbath & Van Halen - 1978 - Hammersmith Odeon.
UFO - 1978 - Hammersmith Odeon
Budgie - 1979 - Hammersmith Odeon.
ZZ Top - 1979 - Hammersmith Odeon.
AC/DC - 1980 - Victoria Apollo - First Brian Johnson concert!
U2 - 1982 (I think) Wembley Arena
Lou Reed - 1988 - London Palladium.
Prince - 1988 - Wembley Arena.
AC/DC - 1988 - Wembley Arena.
Chris Rea - 1989 - Wembley Arena.
BB King - 1990 - South Bank.
Honourable mentions - Rush, Tangerine Dream & Stevie Ray Vaughan.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 16:24 - Oct 1 with 3973 viewsRamseyR

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 14:05 - Oct 1 by Match82

Saw the (reformed) Doors a few years ago at Wembley. Not the same without Morrison, obviously, but as he was brown bread before I was born, the closest I'll get.

Particularly good moment at the end, they had finished their set lights were on and arena was 80% empty, then they burst back onto stage and kicked into a rendition of Soul Kitchen - cue absolute madness. We'd stayed behind and managed to get into the first couple of rows as they came back on - just have visions of looking back towards the door and seeing streams of people burst past the security guards rushing to get back into the arena, before the Doors got dragged off stage. Pretty cool.

Although a punk at heart I'm a big fan of The Doors

Saw Ian Asbury of the Cult fronting them about four yeas ago in Wolverhampton, and then again a year later in Nottingham, but by then they had some septic replace Ian and they weren't quite as good.
Still very cool though and amazing music. Glad I saw them, as now Ray Manzerik has died last year, it won't happen again.
Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 16:41 - Oct 1 with 3956 viewsTheBlob

Blimey,thought it was gig in the singular.
Okay then here goes again.....
John Mayall with Eric Clapton,Peter Green,Mick Taylor.
Jimi Hendrix loads.
Sonny Boy Williamson2,Howlin' Wolf,Lowell Fulson,Johnny Winter loads,Yardbirds,Shotgun Express...Rory Galagher/Taste....Ten Years after,Chicken Shack with Christine McVie...Alex Harvey,Groundhogs,UPP....Arthur Brown...
Cream loads,Jeff Beck loads,Freddie King,Brian Auger,King Crimson first gig,first gig by Free at Nag's Head Battersea,Jethro Tull at Marquee playing second fiddle to Savoy Brown Blues Band,Climax Chicago Blues Band loads,Spirit of John Morgan,SRV,Frank Zappa loads,David Bowie down our Underhill Rehearsal studios,Iggy and the Stooges,Zep,Joe Cocker at the Marquee,Mahavishnu at the Rainbow,Return to Forever various,Weather Report,Jean Luc Ponty,The Flock,Steamhammer,Allman Brothers various,UFO,Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green,Genesis :-( Hawkwind ,Pink Fairies,Pretty things.........many many more.....
[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 17:34]

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:21 - Oct 1 with 3920 viewsMonahoop

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 16:41 - Oct 1 by TheBlob

Blimey,thought it was gig in the singular.
Okay then here goes again.....
John Mayall with Eric Clapton,Peter Green,Mick Taylor.
Jimi Hendrix loads.
Sonny Boy Williamson2,Howlin' Wolf,Lowell Fulson,Johnny Winter loads,Yardbirds,Shotgun Express...Rory Galagher/Taste....Ten Years after,Chicken Shack with Christine McVie...Alex Harvey,Groundhogs,UPP....Arthur Brown...
Cream loads,Jeff Beck loads,Freddie King,Brian Auger,King Crimson first gig,first gig by Free at Nag's Head Battersea,Jethro Tull at Marquee playing second fiddle to Savoy Brown Blues Band,Climax Chicago Blues Band loads,Spirit of John Morgan,SRV,Frank Zappa loads,David Bowie down our Underhill Rehearsal studios,Iggy and the Stooges,Zep,Joe Cocker at the Marquee,Mahavishnu at the Rainbow,Return to Forever various,Weather Report,Jean Luc Ponty,The Flock,Steamhammer,Allman Brothers various,UFO,Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green,Genesis :-( Hawkwind ,Pink Fairies,Pretty things.........many many more.....
[Post edited 1 Oct 2014 17:34]

Interesting list there Blob especially on the blues front. Would loved to have seen some of those old blues masters ie Howlin Wolf. Peter Green was a huge disappointment when I saw him in 1983 in Dublin. He broke down on stage more than once, his guitar was out of tune, but his fans still applauded him. I just thought WTF is all the fuss about this bloke being a guitar genius, then it dawned on me he was f***ed up in his head through too much bad acid in the 60's. Like Hendrix, I was told when on top of his game, he was the tops live, otherwise his playing was a mess as it was that night I saw him. The next night I saw Desmond Dekker and the Aces. Hardly anyone in the audience, but he was brilliant. Old, out of style, but in tune with the moon, unlike old Green.

Forgot to mention earlier. Curtis Mayfield at Crystal Palace in 1983. Superb!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:25 - Oct 1 with 3913 viewssimmo

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 15:57 - Oct 1 by Metallica_Hoop

Apparently no one told Lenny that curtain at the start of Aerosmiths set came down.
So he was standing there watching the set open when this huge curtain landed on him. The journalist who reported it said it was funny watching the cooest man on Earth extract himself from a giant curtain.

His "let love rule" sang by 90000 ran things that day.

I've always found Lenny Kravitz songwriting lazy but he was class that day, really got the crowd going... I have a few abiding memories, as you would as a 15 year old spending the day in a sun baked Wembley, including seeing Liam Gallagher near the bar and asking him if he'd seen anyone famous. He looked at me like he wanted to rip my head off :-D

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:29 - Oct 1 with 3905 viewsTheBlob

Best Gig You Have Ever Been To.. on 17:21 - Oct 1 by Monahoop

Interesting list there Blob especially on the blues front. Would loved to have seen some of those old blues masters ie Howlin Wolf. Peter Green was a huge disappointment when I saw him in 1983 in Dublin. He broke down on stage more than once, his guitar was out of tune, but his fans still applauded him. I just thought WTF is all the fuss about this bloke being a guitar genius, then it dawned on me he was f***ed up in his head through too much bad acid in the 60's. Like Hendrix, I was told when on top of his game, he was the tops live, otherwise his playing was a mess as it was that night I saw him. The next night I saw Desmond Dekker and the Aces. Hardly anyone in the audience, but he was brilliant. Old, out of style, but in tune with the moon, unlike old Green.

Forgot to mention earlier. Curtis Mayfield at Crystal Palace in 1983. Superb!

The British Blues Boom was an amazing time for a 15 year old,all these exotic black guys showing up,amazing.I spent a very pleasant afternoon in the seventies in the company of blues legend Lowell Fulson,one of the best days of my life really.Some of the stories about forties Chicago and race relations were right old eye poppers.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024