Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What Ages You? 01:04 - Oct 10 with 15796 viewsade_qpr

One perhaps for the slightly older than a teenager among us.
Got to thinking after the Lennon thread what makes you think about your age or changes in your life that make you stop and think of how your life has changed? (53 now)

Being in Australia some of my examples wouldn't resonate to many eg buildings torn down or 2 companies I have worked for no longer exist.
Like Lennon many entertainers have passed away ie music (B.B. King) , tv (George Cole) , films ( Leonard Nimoy) or even seeing old movies, tv shows, music heard or books read that may spark old memories.
Technology is another big one. I still have a lot of cassettes I use to play in my dad's old car that I brought from the estate til the player recently died. Yes some records then cd's and now downloads of music. Old red telephone boxes here in Oz now onto Mobile phones (my first was a brick back in the 90's that I won from a radio station) TV's to computer games (did laugh when I saw Pixels with all the old arcade games)
Transport - the types of cars people have had over the years (had a panel van back in the 80/90's and still wish I had it, drive in theatres anyone? )
Sporting teams that no longer exist?
I'm certain there are many more examples others will have.
Happy reminiscing.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

What Ages You? on 15:06 - Oct 10 with 3459 viewsWokingR

What Ages You? on 10:16 - Oct 10 by Discodroids

48 next month but ive still got the old rouges smile...

women love it, men just want to be friends with it . Ive got it all really Even if i do say so myself.

[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 10:29]

Now I'm really hoping you meant to say rogue because if not and rouge is correct then that is going to need some explaining
What Ages You? on 15:16 - Oct 10 with 3443 viewsDiscodroids

nonsense mate . A bit of rouge teamed up with a liquid matt 24 hour foundation fills in my crows feet.

christ my spelling is getting worse.if possible.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

What Ages You? on 15:33 - Oct 10 with 3433 viewsLythamR

im 53 I dont really feel it generally

what does make me feel it a bit is seeing 70's musicians talking on programmes, that does make you think a bit

Women I fancied as a teenager are nearly all 65 plus

Suzi Quatro 65
Debbie Harry 70
Stevie Nicks 67
Servelan (Blakes seven) 71
Anne Bancroft 73
What Ages You? on 17:05 - Oct 10 with 3395 viewskarl

49, what a nice birthday present i got from those Polish b#@*tards.
Can't believe a reminiscing thread hasnt mentioned white dog sh*te?
All kids were skinny and the rare fat one was bullied relentlessly. Rolaaand!
What Ages You? on 17:13 - Oct 10 with 3390 viewsstansleftfoot

Reminiscing ages you as the past recedes into a confusion of lost opportunity and failed ambition. The ageing mind clings to memories mired in habit and a refusal to accept changes that naturally come about.
The future keeps the mind and body young because it requires the mind to be open to change.....the brain is a muscle and getting the LP's out the loft to put then into MP3 is not staying young, its getting old...the dust mites rot any ambition to change enough to be ready for the future and to accepts its benefits.
What Ages You? on 17:37 - Oct 10 with 3368 viewswestberksr

Life ages you, the rest of it is a state of mind.

Im going to as many gigs now, playing as much footy as i ever have.

But sat here at 47, currently feeling about 97 having played 90 minutes footy this morning marking a kid who was probably early 20s tops; he knows he was in a game though. Just takes the one perfectly timed sliding tackle taking the ball and everything else to make me smile. Oh to have that speed again!

Still fitter than most of the twentysomethings on my team. They missed the proper club scene, being up dancing all night kept me in pretty good shape at their age.

Having said that I'll probably pass out on the sofa around 8pm!
What Ages You? on 17:44 - Oct 10 with 3361 viewsCroydonCaptJack

What Ages You? on 10:16 - Oct 10 by Discodroids

48 next month but ive still got the old rouges smile...

women love it, men just want to be friends with it . Ive got it all really Even if i do say so myself.

[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 10:29]

Yeh but have you ever been a VIP guest of John Digweed?
What Ages You? on 17:46 - Oct 10 with 3355 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Having to gingerly tuck the shite ridden piles back into my rectum after the morning scutter-fest.

Forgetting the simplest of words and having to describe what you mean like a face off between Lionel Blair and Una Stubbs.

Lionel Blair and Una Stubbs.
Login to get fewer ads

What Ages You? on 19:12 - Oct 10 with 3320 viewsmacclesfieldman

I'm 56 and I can't even begin to explain the differences to my children. When I was a teenager there was no: mobile phones, computers, internet, colour TVs, cable TV, central heating, overseas package holidays, cash machines, McDonalds, Supermarkets or DVDs/CDs/In car radios,automatic washing machines or dishwashers. Life is so much better today but everyone still complains!

Wild horses couldn't drag me away...

What Ages You? on 19:26 - Oct 10 with 3304 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Watching the news and hearing a twentysomething "expert" on the sixties or seventies (or eighties come to that) rewriting history with their personal interpretation of something they have only read about, that I lived through. And I haven't bleedin got dementia yet!

It wasn't like that at all you twunt!

Does happen here as well with people's selective memories of players and events. Not all black and white, shades of grey and all that.

Then there is that blank look from youngsters (!) if I mention Stevie Ray Vaughan......
What Ages You? on 19:37 - Oct 10 with 3296 viewsloftboy

My kids don't believe me (I'm 48) that as kids you could slide down the middle of the escalators on the tube.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

What Ages You? on 19:48 - Oct 10 with 3289 viewsBlackCrowe

Not exhaustive but:

Don't like: aches and pains now concern me, kids online instead of outside, shops open on Sundays, d-list celeb obsession, premier league vulgarity, political correctness, iTunes/sonos/mp3 speakers (the only technology that has gone way backwards sound-wise), sterile pubs, email/texting instead phoning/talking, low energy lightbulbs, smartphones.

Like: Ease of getting abroad, better pub food, iplayer and podcasts, cosmopolitan london, reliable cars, variety of cheese, meat, bread, wine, beer and overseas food in general, bi-folding doors, wider beds, buying tickets online rather than quieing at box offices, smartphones.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

What Ages You? on 19:57 - Oct 10 with 3282 viewsDorse

Today is Giant Haystacks' birthday. If that doesn't date us all, then I don't what does.*

* To clarify, Giant Haystacks wants to make it clear that he in no way intends to date us all. He will, however, consider taking either Nix or SoG to Nandos.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2015 20:09]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

What Ages You? on 21:00 - Oct 10 with 3252 viewskarl

What Ages You? on 19:12 - Oct 10 by macclesfieldman

I'm 56 and I can't even begin to explain the differences to my children. When I was a teenager there was no: mobile phones, computers, internet, colour TVs, cable TV, central heating, overseas package holidays, cash machines, McDonalds, Supermarkets or DVDs/CDs/In car radios,automatic washing machines or dishwashers. Life is so much better today but everyone still complains!

One thing i was saying to the 20 somethings in our group at the game on Thursday was (due to finance mainly) how some winters you were never truly warm.
This happened in my teens really after leaving a warm house as a child and having little money, crappest duvet which would pass as a blanket now, uninsulated flats and just no heating really i could go from November to March/April and be cold almost all the time.
I'm luckily able to heat our house and be comfortably warm at home all the time (don't mention work..) but would others say this was an 80,s thing and modern society has cut out a lot of this or do many still have this problem? No house i go in compares to my teenage life no matter what age the occupant is my experience.
What Ages You? on 22:53 - Oct 10 with 3199 viewsCiderwithRsie

What Ages You? on 08:36 - Oct 10 by BazzaInTheLoft

Fvck me it's like last of the summer wine.

You say that, but there's a generation that wouldn't know what you're talking about.

Weirdly, slightly older people do it for me. Danny Baker this morning said he was 58, that's 6 years older than me. When I was a 15 year old kid at school he was an old stager writing for the NME and hanging out with the Pistols. Now he's nearly the same age as me.
What Ages You? on 23:00 - Oct 10 with 3074 viewsBrixtonR

Suddenly thinking about my own mortality. I've never really thought about it till recently, but looking at the 90's music thread and 1990 in particular. Fck me it's 25 years ago but feels like last year and realised that in 25 years I'll be 72 and years now seem like months then :-(

How can I remember what I was wearing on a certain day in 1990 and not what I got up to do 2 seconds ago ? Oh dear.
What Ages You? on 23:03 - Oct 10 with 3073 viewsCiderwithRsie

What Ages You? on 15:33 - Oct 10 by LythamR

im 53 I dont really feel it generally

what does make me feel it a bit is seeing 70's musicians talking on programmes, that does make you think a bit

Women I fancied as a teenager are nearly all 65 plus

Suzi Quatro 65
Debbie Harry 70
Stevie Nicks 67
Servelan (Blakes seven) 71
Anne Bancroft 73

Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles is aged 56.

This is her, aged 49

And at 51:
What Ages You? on 03:35 - Oct 11 with 3021 viewsisawqpratwcity

When suddenly, the Prime Ministers of Britain and Australia, plus the US President, were all younger than me.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

What Ages You? on 03:38 - Oct 11 with 3021 viewsisawqpratwcity

What Ages You? on 11:34 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Negativity, in any shape or form.

Knock it off, Brian. You're not the Messiah, you're a very naughty boy.

What Ages You? on 07:49 - Oct 11 with 2993 viewsKonk

I was just watching Postman Pat with my young son, and found myself thinking the town they're in looks lovely - I wonder how much houses cost? I then moved onto wondering if there was a train station and what the pubs are like. Can't decide whether this is sleep deprivation or whether considering relocating from London to a fictional children's TV market town means I'm officially old.

In my head I'm about 24, but thinking about seeing The Stone Roses at Ally Pally 26 years ago, confirms I'm kidding myself on.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

What Ages You? on 08:10 - Oct 11 with 2980 viewsAgedR

How can I put this, there is a wider scope for appreciation of the fairer sex.

I'm sure I wasn't giving admiring glances to women in their 50s when I was in my 20s.

...actually, now I come to think about it

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

What Ages You? on 08:48 - Oct 11 with 2959 viewsLblock

Why aren't the summers long, hot or full of love anymore?

That ages me

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

What Ages You? on 08:49 - Oct 11 with 2960 viewsisawqpratwcity

What Ages You? on 08:10 - Oct 11 by AgedR

How can I put this, there is a wider scope for appreciation of the fairer sex.

I'm sure I wasn't giving admiring glances to women in their 50s when I was in my 20s.

...actually, now I come to think about it

If that pic is from The Graduate, then she's only 36.

What Ages You? on 09:12 - Oct 11 with 2946 viewsSINGINGDETECTIVE

What ages me is if I want a hard on I have to start thinking about it several days before hand aahhh for the days when it had a mind of its own and would embarrass you on a regular basis
How crap our language has become I constantly tell the youngsters
at work to repeat what they've said in English

the so called modernisation (demolition) of London
but other than that I'm living the dream
What Ages You? on 09:53 - Oct 11 with 2915 viewsPunteR

Gigs.
Took my lad and his mate to Brixton academy to see Circa Waves last night. Good band ,had a good night. But I was literally one of the oldest ones there.

I never even heard of Circa Waves before I booked the tickets which again made me think I'm getting old.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2015 9:58]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024