Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread 14:43 - Jan 9 with 64802 viewsjackharris

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 17:51 - Jan 10 with 2921 viewsDJack

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 17:46 - Jan 10 by AngelRangelQS

My posts have just reflected the way I have been feeling over these last few months. Perhaps expectations have increased but other than that I can tell you that I am totally disillusioned with some of the players in our squad who are draining our funds without giving anything back.

I personally think that the so called fringe players should be stepping up in games like today. Yes Oxford are on good form and are a tidy side but as the premier league team we should be beating them hands down.

I have also been very disappointed with the way the club has been run over the last couple of years. I feel that we have allowed arrogance/complaceny to set in and again those who are to blame are taking away big money from the club at the same time.

I honestly feel that the decision to give the job to Curtis shows how badly run we have now become. If someone had told you in August that by January Alan Curtis would be our manager, you'd have had them locked up.

I feel that today, added to our league position, performances, signings, the way we dealt with Monk's departure really shows how far our stock has dropped recently. I don't see us as a side with an incredible amount of fight - certainly we didn't fight for monk even if it has improved under Curtis, I don't think we have as much quality as others may think we do and I also don't think we are being that well at present. Seems to me that we have all the classic hallmarks of a side/club doomed to relegation this season.

If we do survive which of course remains more than possible, I think we have a hell of a lot of work to do to put things right

...That's how ARQS posts!

I believe that your expectations have shot up, coinciding with the club losing moment and direction. This has brought about your "reactionary" posts , whereas in the past you would be objective and construct a reasoned reply.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 17:54 - Jan 10 with 2906 viewsAngelRangelQS

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 17:51 - Jan 10 by vetchonian

I cannot see how you can say this side close to full strength.3rd? Choice RB 10 changes from last Saturdays side. Yes Gomis,Shelvey have been first team regulars along with Cork but I can't see how you can make absurd statements
[Post edited 10 Jan 2016 18:38]

Yes I was admitting that implying we had a strong team out was an overreaction
The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 18:08 - Jan 10 with 2832 viewsunion_jack

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 17:46 - Jan 10 by AngelRangelQS

My posts have just reflected the way I have been feeling over these last few months. Perhaps expectations have increased but other than that I can tell you that I am totally disillusioned with some of the players in our squad who are draining our funds without giving anything back.

I personally think that the so called fringe players should be stepping up in games like today. Yes Oxford are on good form and are a tidy side but as the premier league team we should be beating them hands down.

I have also been very disappointed with the way the club has been run over the last couple of years. I feel that we have allowed arrogance/complaceny to set in and again those who are to blame are taking away big money from the club at the same time.

I honestly feel that the decision to give the job to Curtis shows how badly run we have now become. If someone had told you in August that by January Alan Curtis would be our manager, you'd have had them locked up.

I feel that today, added to our league position, performances, signings, the way we dealt with Monk's departure really shows how far our stock has dropped recently. I don't see us as a side with an incredible amount of fight - certainly we didn't fight for monk even if it has improved under Curtis, I don't think we have as much quality as others may think we do and I also don't think we are being that well at present. Seems to me that we have all the classic hallmarks of a side/club doomed to relegation this season.

If we do survive which of course remains more than possible, I think we have a hell of a lot of work to do to put things right

In my opinion, an excellent post.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 18:12 - Jan 10 with 2810 viewsCooperman

The craziest decision of the day was made by those that let the smoke bomb off within 6 feet of the stewards.

I suppose they will now argue that they didn't see a losing position today.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 18:40 - Jan 10 with 2670 viewsMrSwerve

If we'd lined up

Fab
Rangel
Fernandez
Ash
Taylor
Britton
Ki
Routs
Ayew
Siggy
Gomis

Or something along those lines - and lost 3-2 today, then I'd be worrying. We didn't line up like this. We put out an under 21 side with some senior players who haven't played all year, and a couple of bench warmers.

Not saying it wasn't a shocking performance, but let's get some perspective ffs. We're out of the FA cup - it's not a big deal. Let's concentrate on the league now.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 18:43 - Jan 10 with 2656 viewsSgorioFruit

Should Cardiff lose their game tonight then Newport County would be the only Welsh club still in the competition

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 18:43 - Jan 10 with 2655 viewsTreforys_Jack

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 18:40 - Jan 10 by MrSwerve

If we'd lined up

Fab
Rangel
Fernandez
Ash
Taylor
Britton
Ki
Routs
Ayew
Siggy
Gomis

Or something along those lines - and lost 3-2 today, then I'd be worrying. We didn't line up like this. We put out an under 21 side with some senior players who haven't played all year, and a couple of bench warmers.

Not saying it wasn't a shocking performance, but let's get some perspective ffs. We're out of the FA cup - it's not a big deal. Let's concentrate on the league now.

Ffs there you go with all your common sense and perspective.
The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 18:55 - Jan 10 with 2589 viewsymaohyd

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 15:35 - Jan 10 by Treforys_Jack

Well paid stiffs but being well paid doesn't give you match fitness and sharpness. If you listen to people who know a lot more about European football than me tabanou was a great signing and st Etienne were reluctant to part with him. What the hell has happened to him I don't know. His physical appearance today was an embarrassment, well overweight which is not acceptable when your on many thousands a week. I'll reserve judgment on grimes until I see him playing with Leon, siggy and ki. Not an acceptable performance today but let's face it there can't be many of us who are that surprised.

What has happened to the Swans in recent months, gives further proof as to how fluid football is, particularly in the premier league.

One minute Garry Monk being talked about as a future England manager, thinking outside the box, sleeping pods pre season, to maximise pre season fitness, in comes James Beattie, signing quality youngsters and yet another win against Man U, life couldn't be better.

Fast forward a few months and the board who have made so many great decisions, look a complete shambles, the structure of the club looks out of sorts, the quality of the youngsters and back up players look way short on quality, therefore highlighting a lack of quality in the player recruitment/scouting department.

The situation we are in is ridiculous really. In a few months we could be party to the biggest tv contract in world football or just another club in the championship. How do we operate in this transfer window? We can't really as quite simply we can't sign players on big contracts.

What I've highlighted above is stating the obvious and not really giving an opinion. The only thing I'd suggest is that sometimes when you are in a hole you can dig yourself in deeper rather than out of it.

Sticking with Curt I think iis the right option. Hard work and getting the players to play for each other, the badge, the fans will give us a decent chance.

Whatever happens though, a root and branch overview of the club in May is needed to ensure the fantastic structure started by Martinez is put back on track.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 18:56 - Jan 10 with 2585 viewsairedale

When we got into the Championship I was over the moon. Big clubs coming to the stadium and big crowds watching us. We played this club on Saturday (Norwich?) and we quickly went about 2 or 3 goals down, and people were walking out! I couldn't believe it.

It's just the football you go down there for.
The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 18:58 - Jan 10 with 2578 viewsunion_jack

I reluctantly but honestly believe the loss today will have a negative impact on Wednesday's game. I don't know why, I know that the team will be almost completely different but the best I can come up with is that lack of confidence is contagious. I really hope I'm wrong!

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 19:02 - Jan 10 with 2555 viewsTreforys_Jack

Nah today will have no impact on Wed.
The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 20:24 - Jan 10 with 2281 viewsdailew

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 19:02 - Jan 10 by Treforys_Jack

Nah today will have no impact on Wed.

Indeed. Might well be a totally different 11.

Fab
Naughton Fede Ash Taylor
Routs Leon Ki Gylfi Barrow
Ayew

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 20:38 - Jan 10 with 2237 viewsunion_jack

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 20:24 - Jan 10 by dailew

Fab
Naughton Fede Ash Taylor
Ayew

It almost definitely will, but I don't think today will have had no effect whatsoever.

Clearly I hope I am wrong!

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 20:39 - Jan 10 with 2236 viewswaynekerr55

What today showed is that there is no substitute for proper competitive football. Under 21 football is dog sh*t - zero intensity and is no preparation for the rigours of first team football against streetwise pros

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 20:41 - Jan 10 with 2218 viewskarnataka

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 20:24 - Jan 10 by dailew

Fab
Naughton Fede Ash Taylor
Ayew

Swap Routs & Barrow over and Curt may well go with Rangel or little point in resting him today, but that's a decent enough side for Wednesday. Barrow has definitely been staking a claim these last few weeks. Not sure if we'd have many potential game changers on the bench though and that's one of our problems.
The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 20:56 - Jan 10 with 2173 viewsmonmouth

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 20:41 - Jan 10 by karnataka

Swap Routs & Barrow over and Curt may well go with Rangel or little point in resting him today, but that's a decent enough side for Wednesday. Barrow has definitely been staking a claim these last few weeks. Not sure if we'd have many potential game changers on the bench though and that's one of our problems.

If that team can't beat Sunderland at home then we are probably pretty much buggered anyway as we probably have no one better and there aren't many worse opponents to come.

Montero is a better sub than starter and I still like Cork in the team but I think we need to go for it in this one, so need some width.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 20:57 - Jan 10 with 2165 viewswaynekerr55

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 20:56 - Jan 10 by monmouth

If that team can't beat Sunderland at home then we are probably pretty much buggered anyway as we probably have no one better and there aren't many worse opponents to come.

Montero is a better sub than starter and I still like Cork in the team but I think we need to go for it in this one, so need some width.

^^^^^
This.

If we can't beat Dog Sh*t Rovers like these and Naarch then we deserve to be plying our trade in the Championship

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 21:16 - Jan 10 with 2089 viewslancasterswan

Start with Modu Barrow and Jeff Montero, spread it wide both sides and use their speed. Barrow's run inside today off the right wing was brilliant and hit the trunk of the tree Gomis. Emnes I could cope with but I would have Gomis and Shelvey cutting oranges for half time...sorry.
The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 21:24 - Jan 10 with 2062 viewsdailew

Funnily enough I'm not hugely bothered by the defeat. The game on Wednesday with it's associated much larger prize is looming too large.

Although with proper refereeing decisions we could have won 3-1 that team would never have gotten far and I don't think we would ever have been in a position this season to field a full eleven in the cup.

Encouragingly the players closest to the starting eleven played well. Notably Cork and Barrow.

Perhaps we have too big a squad to keep everyone interested as evidenced by Kingsley (who has been playing competitive football) performing a lot better than Fat Franck.

[Post edited 10 Jan 2016 21:33]

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 21:37 - Jan 10 with 2012 views3swan

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 20:39 - Jan 10 by waynekerr55

What today showed is that there is no substitute for proper competitive football. Under 21 football is dog sh*t - zero intensity and is no preparation for the rigours of first team football against streetwise pros

We don't even play our squad players in the U21's (2 over age players I believe)
Players would have to take the step up into the team with very little game time
The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 21:44 - Jan 10 with 1990 viewsKingstonJack

Putting all the football arguments above aside, I feel sorry for the Swans fans that made the journey today.
I guess the club would be in trouble if it gave any hint in advance about putting a B-side out.
Personally, I think we were right to put a B-side out, Sunderland is the big game.
Also, to draw something positive from this, it's probably been a risk-free spotlight on who to ditch?

And let's cut out the rot now imho!
The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 21:48 - Jan 10 with 1969 viewsJackanapes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30860395

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 22:10 - Jan 10 with 1909 viewsKingstonJack

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 21:48 - Jan 10 by Jackanapes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30860395

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/oxford-united-v-swansea-city-curtis-eyes-fa-cup-
The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 22:45 - Jan 10 with 1820 viewsMolliemick

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 15:53 - Jan 10 by A_Fans_Dad

There is one big difference, they have Defoe, we have Gomis.

And Sunderland have an experienced manager and we have AC.
The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 23:30 - Jan 10 with 1721 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Official Oxford United v Swansea City FA Cup Sponsored By Emirates Thread on 13:55 - Jan 10 by MrSwerve

Wtf is the commentator on about saying that we're the first premier league team out in this round? Did I hear that right? Sunderland went out yesterday for one...

Who was the commentator? Was it Rob Phillips? Because if i was he just loves doing us down

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024