Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Birch’s programme notes 12:09 - Dec 29 with 23950 viewsmarchamjack

Can’t do the linky thing on my phone...thanks in advance to whoever puts them up...if anyone is still in any doubt about Trev being a puppet of the Yanks, have a read 😐

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Birch’s programme notes on 17:57 - Dec 30 with 1868 viewsjasper_T

Birch’s programme notes on 16:58 - Dec 30 by jack247

Those three play in league two. Are we really better with the next Sheehans and Shepherds than James’ and McBurnies?

We can't afford the James' and McBurnies any more. In their case fretting over academy rating is missing the forest for the trees - we're not in a position to spend over £100k each on young prospects and have them spend a few years in the reserves. We're going to have to make do with what's available while we're a mid-level Championship side in the far west. That's already the case in the current u23s side, which features a trio of local 17 year olds in the back 4 pretty regularly now.

The Shepherds and Sheehans (who Laudrup liked a lot and was unlucky with injuries) are what we'll have to work with. If they're not good enough might as well scrap the academy altogether.
Birch’s programme notes on 18:02 - Dec 30 with 1839 viewsSwanDownUnder

who did i call boring?
Birch’s programme notes on 18:03 - Dec 30 with 1827 viewsIAN05

(No subject) (n/t) on 17:47 - Dec 30 by cymrojack

[Post edited 10 Jun 2021 10:39]

Two different groups that I have heard rumours about, University and Martin Morgan through his property company
Birch’s programme notes on 18:06 - Dec 30 with 1817 viewsSwanDownUnder

Birch’s programme notes on 17:31 - Dec 30 by 34dfgdf54

The question was. Read slowly.

“Would you take relegation if it meant keeping academy”

And yes, yes I would.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 17:32]

oh sorry i didn't realise we were living in a fantasy land.

your a premier league fan calm down gary.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 18:10]
Birch’s programme notes on 18:11 - Dec 30 with 1800 viewsBlue_Blood

Birch’s programme notes on 17:57 - Dec 30 by jasper_T

We can't afford the James' and McBurnies any more. In their case fretting over academy rating is missing the forest for the trees - we're not in a position to spend over £100k each on young prospects and have them spend a few years in the reserves. We're going to have to make do with what's available while we're a mid-level Championship side in the far west. That's already the case in the current u23s side, which features a trio of local 17 year olds in the back 4 pretty regularly now.

The Shepherds and Sheehans (who Laudrup liked a lot and was unlucky with injuries) are what we'll have to work with. If they're not good enough might as well scrap the academy altogether.

I do think you're underestimating how quickly football is advancing in this country. EPPP has had negative affects but it's also had positive affects and in my opinion English (and Welsh) are progressing at a rate that is unprecedented in this country.

You can see this in this years premier league where even some of the biggest teams (with unlimited resources) are shunning the transfer market and developing their own.

This is something Cardiff and Swansea can now replicate, and to be fair you already are, so why would you sacrifice that when it is currently funding itself?
Birch’s programme notes on 18:21 - Dec 30 with 1772 viewstheloneranger

Birch’s programme notes on 17:57 - Dec 30 by jasper_T

Sheps was highly thought of at C*rdiff, and they were really p1ssed off when he signed for us as a 16 year old.

He seems to be doing well at Forest Green Rovers, and has still got a long time left in football.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Birch’s programme notes on 18:23 - Dec 30 with 1762 views34dfgdf54

Birch’s programme notes on 18:06 - Dec 30 by SwanDownUnder

oh sorry i didn't realise we were living in a fantasy land.

your a premier league fan calm down gary.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 18:10]

You’re **

Premier League fan. Righteyo bright fella.
Birch’s programme notes on 18:27 - Dec 30 with 1743 viewslonglostjack

Birch’s programme notes on 18:11 - Dec 30 by Blue_Blood

I do think you're underestimating how quickly football is advancing in this country. EPPP has had negative affects but it's also had positive affects and in my opinion English (and Welsh) are progressing at a rate that is unprecedented in this country.

You can see this in this years premier league where even some of the biggest teams (with unlimited resources) are shunning the transfer market and developing their own.

This is something Cardiff and Swansea can now replicate, and to be fair you already are, so why would you sacrifice that when it is currently funding itself?

Because there’s a Balance Sheet and Cash Flow forecast that need to look as pretty as possible as quickly as possible so that the Yanks can sell up at the best price.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Login to get fewer ads

Birch’s programme notes on 18:40 - Dec 30 with 1717 viewsGowerjack

Birch’s programme notes on 11:29 - Dec 30 by theloneranger

The main thing will be, is that they have a va!uable piece of land to sell off in Landore.

It won't be that valuable

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Birch’s programme notes on 18:43 - Dec 30 with 1715 viewsGowerjack

Birch’s programme notes on 12:32 - Dec 30 by exiledclaseboy

Hadn’t realised they’ve not been updated. Will be sorted.

Which ain't very good

With the greatest respect

Not very good at all

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Birch’s programme notes on 18:47 - Dec 30 with 1700 viewsexiledclaseboy

Birch’s programme notes on 18:43 - Dec 30 by Gowerjack

Which ain't very good

Not very good at all

I am suitably chastised.

Poll: Tory leader

Birch’s programme notes on 18:51 - Dec 30 with 1694 viewsSwanDownUnder

Birch’s programme notes on 18:43 - Dec 30 by Gowerjack

Which ain't very good

Not very good at all

didn't realise the club had been taken over, anyway Liverpool?
Birch’s programme notes on 19:28 - Dec 30 with 1644 viewsjasper_T

Birch’s programme notes on 18:11 - Dec 30 by Blue_Blood

Is this the point in the conversation when people start using "academy" and "category 1 academy" interchangeably? I see it is.

The EPPP has had positive effects in improving academy standards and domestic player development, but the top level of those standards are not within reach of every football club. The tiered system exists to provide the most benefit to the richest clubs, and neither we nor Cardiff are that at the moment.

"It's currently funding itself" is a deceptive argument when the football club as a whole is not funding itself, and we would still be producing players with Cat 2/3, with far less risk and need to sell to continually balance the books. Major cutbacks have already taken place - many staff have gone, and there are fewer players on the books. Our u23s starting 11s are 80% local now, when they were ~30% local during our successful period from which the recent graduates emerged. "It's currently" not done anything, this is not the academy structure that bought and sold Oli and Dan James, even if the Cat 1 label is for now the same.
Birch’s programme notes on 19:30 - Dec 30 with 1635 viewsjasper_T

Birch’s programme notes on 18:21 - Dec 30 by theloneranger

Sheps was highly thought of at C*rdiff, and they were really p1ssed off when he signed for us as a 16 year old.

He seems to be doing well at Forest Green Rovers, and has still got a long time left in football.

I thought he'd been released by them before we snapped him up. I had high hopes for him once upon a time. Debut in that Oxford game didn't go well.
Birch’s programme notes on 19:30 - Dec 30 with 1634 viewsperplex

Birch’s programme notes on 09:12 - Dec 30 by Fireboy2

Our owners dont care what league we end up in, all they are bothered about is not putting any money into the club.

And taking what ever they can.
Birch’s programme notes on 19:31 - Dec 30 with 1628 viewsDr_Winston

The debate is quite ironic considering it's not all that long ago that people were wondering why we needed two sites for training and whether it would be more cost effective in the long term to combine them in one.

Did we build two facilities because we needed to or because certain people fancied making a few extra bob on the building contracts?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Birch’s programme notes on 20:02 - Dec 30 with 1575 viewsdobjack2

Birch’s programme notes on 19:28 - Dec 30 by jasper_T

Is this the point in the conversation when people start using "academy" and "category 1 academy" interchangeably? I see it is.

The EPPP has had positive effects in improving academy standards and domestic player development, but the top level of those standards are not within reach of every football club. The tiered system exists to provide the most benefit to the richest clubs, and neither we nor Cardiff are that at the moment.

"It's currently funding itself" is a deceptive argument when the football club as a whole is not funding itself, and we would still be producing players with Cat 2/3, with far less risk and need to sell to continually balance the books. Major cutbacks have already taken place - many staff have gone, and there are fewer players on the books. Our u23s starting 11s are 80% local now, when they were ~30% local during our successful period from which the recent graduates emerged. "It's currently" not done anything, this is not the academy structure that bought and sold Oli and Dan James, even if the Cat 1 label is for now the same.

By your post I’d guess that you wouldn’t be confident that our current set up will produce many first teamers at championship level as the cuts have already been made.

Would you say that it is now category 1 in name only?
Birch’s programme notes on 20:13 - Dec 30 with 1552 viewsSwanjaxs

Birch’s programme notes on 19:31 - Dec 30 by Dr_Winston

The debate is quite ironic considering it's not all that long ago that people were wondering why we needed two sites for training and whether it would be more cost effective in the long term to combine them in one.

Did we build two facilities because we needed to or because certain people fancied making a few extra bob on the building contracts?

Pigs and troughs spring to mind...

Rotten to the core.

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Birch’s programme notes on 21:03 - Dec 30 with 1474 viewslondonlisa2001

Interesting thread.

My main take on this :

We spent 7 years in the premier league. If we downgrade the academy (and it’s an if, but one that’s been raised by the programme notes so is undoubtedly possible), what exactly do we have to show for the income in excess of half a BILLION pounds we earned during that time.

The stadium isn’t any bigger.
The team will consist of, let’s be honest, mid ranking championship players playing bang average football.
We have an inexperienced manager.
We won’t have a high ranking academy.
We won’t have state of the art training facilities that we own.
We haven’t a new stadium sponsor.
We have a mid level kit supplier and mid level sponsors.
We have attendances that are no better than we had in 2010/2011.
We have owners that are disconnected from the fan base and a supporters’ trust that have been left outside in the cold.

It seems to me that all we have to show for the substantial amount of time in the top earning league in the world is a few individuals driving around West Wales in better cars, unable to show their faces in the stadium.

It’s not much of a legacy is it.
Birch’s programme notes on 21:12 - Dec 30 with 1454 viewsjasper_T

Birch’s programme notes on 20:02 - Dec 30 by dobjack2

By your post I’d guess that you wouldn’t be confident that our current set up will produce many first teamers at championship level as the cuts have already been made.

Would you say that it is now category 1 in name only?

I think there are players there that can be brought through. I wouldn't be confident that we will produce £5/10/15m players for sale on a regular basis, enough for the academy to "pay for itself" in that sense, but there's a decent number of players who might push on and contribute if given the opportunity. There's always talent to be found in South Wales, as Fergie said.

Hard when we've got new senior signings not even making matchday squads, of course. At some other Championship clubs the likes of Jack Evans and Brandon Cooper might have had decent minutes by now, as the injury-crisis has allowed Ben Cabango to have.

Category 1 is a set of minimum standards which we are - as far as I'm aware - still meeting. But compared to many Cat 1 outfits we don't have the same volume of recruitment, recruitment spend, wage spend or size of squad any more. We don't take advantage of poaching rights and I'm not sure there's many here that would have been chased by bigger clubs ahead of their scholarship phase. It's become a difficult environment for our development sides to compete within. The u18s always had it tough but our u23s were very good for a few years, winning a league and cup double and consistently doing well in the Checkatrade against senior sides (or at least their b teams). The trend is definitely downwards, but these things do ebb and flow, no academy remains consistently good year on year.
Birch’s programme notes on 21:20 - Dec 30 with 1439 viewsmonmouth

Birch’s programme notes on 21:03 - Dec 30 by londonlisa2001

Interesting thread.

My main take on this :

We spent 7 years in the premier league. If we downgrade the academy (and it’s an if, but one that’s been raised by the programme notes so is undoubtedly possible), what exactly do we have to show for the income in excess of half a BILLION pounds we earned during that time.

The team will consist of, let’s be honest, mid ranking championship players playing bang average football.
We have owners that are disconnected from the fan base and a supporters’ trust that have been left outside in the cold.

It seems to me that all we have to show for the substantial amount of time in the top earning league in the world is a few individuals driving around West Wales in better cars, unable to show their faces in the stadium.

It's actually tragic. but speaks volumes about the tuppeny ha'penny noddy nobodies that contemptuously chucked the club under a coach load of cash.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Birch’s programme notes on 21:24 - Dec 30 with 1425 viewslondonlisa2001

Birch’s programme notes on 21:20 - Dec 30 by monmouth

It's actually tragic. but speaks volumes about the tuppeny ha'penny noddy nobodies that contemptuously chucked the club under a coach load of cash.

It’s the hubris. Not employing anyone that had experience of running a company that had £100m turnover. Thinking that it could be done without the necessary expertise.

Talk about a wasted opportunity, not for the ones that became multi millionaires on the back of it, of course, but for the city at large.

Unforgivable.
Birch’s programme notes on 21:33 - Dec 30 with 1401 viewsSwanjaxs

Birch’s programme notes on 21:24 - Dec 30 by londonlisa2001

It’s the hubris. Not employing anyone that had experience of running a company that had £100m turnover. Thinking that it could be done without the necessary expertise.

Talk about a wasted opportunity, not for the ones that became multi millionaires on the back of it, of course, but for the city at large.

Unforgivable.

Agree with all this.

I get the feeling that the next 18 months have the potential to be on a par with the dark days of the Petty fiasco ...

Not be dramatic, just the way I see it going.

Time for the Trust to get their shìt together 😎

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Birch’s programme notes on 21:42 - Dec 30 with 1375 viewsthornabyswan

Birch’s programme notes on 21:24 - Dec 30 by londonlisa2001

Unforgivable.

Just off topic slightly but do the Trust now receive detailed accounts.

Uxbridge contradicted what you said previously.

Just wanted some clarification please.
[Post edited 30 Dec 2019 21:43]

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

Birch’s programme notes on 21:54 - Dec 30 with 1332 viewsvetchonian

Birch’s programme notes on 21:03 - Dec 30 by londonlisa2001

Interesting thread.

My main take on this :

And rumour has it the stadium expansion was cancelled/delayed because Jaxx construction was not being considered as the main contractor

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024