Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why has it all gone wrong? 21:44 - Apr 5 with 10668 viewsconnell10

I know we have had injuries etc but our dip in form has been spectacular! I'm at a lose and totally gutted! Just wrote Bollocks in my diary!!!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:25 - Apr 5 with 2297 viewsHunterhoop

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:16 - Apr 5 by PhilmyRs

But Chair was pretty involved up to the point of going to AFCON? And we, and he, did alright up to that point?

I think Willock missing is key, he’s our best player and has probably tapered over the cracks a bit. Teams have figured us out a bit too and manager/players not found an answer. How many times do you see us get pressed really high and we just dick about with it and waste possession. Also think we’re not as good as we thought we were. Just outside the playoffs but pushing to get in is probably about par for this team. And finally the loans, getting in Hendrick and Sanderson have proven to be costly errors, as was missing out on an attacking player - would have been useful to have this option for covering for Willock (injury) and Chair (form).

Yes, for the umpteenth time, I’m not saying Chair is sh*t. But he has not played well since he returned. It seems very obvious to me. Ergo he is one of the problems. Let’s not bury our heads in the sand.

Also, whilst we were good with him before AFCON and he was undoubtedly playing well, we actually improved when he left (results wise). Our best run of form was the 6 games he missed (5 wins, 1 draw).

I don’t know why. I was as excited as anyone for his return thinking we’d improve and surely be in the play offs at a minimum.

But we haven’t.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:33 - Apr 5 with 2252 viewsactonman

We have been found out . Any manager worth his salt can see our strengths and weakness ! There was a turning point , not sure what game but we went from total possession and eventually a goal (how many false dawns thinking someone is going to be battered 4 or 5-0 )to not managing to keep hold of the ball and being pressed out of possession constantly …. Around about the Coventry away game was most notable ?
We haven’t reacted or changed things just slowly carried on hoping we could carry on the same and teams would forget that we have a weakness .
Anyway , it’s come home to roost and my prediction that we would only get another 4 points to the end of season since the posh game looks a tad optimistic now
I
Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:38 - Apr 5 with 2205 viewsHunterhoop

Teams definitely have worked us out, but tbh, I thought teams had worked us out in Aug! Barnsley and Coventry played us off the park and pegged us back in our half at home in the first halves of those games at the start of the season. But our second half performances always seemed to improve and see us through and we could still execute Plan A well enough to beat sides who had worked out. Now we just cannot create a clear chance/shot on goal.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:38 - Apr 5 with 2202 viewsdistortR

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:25 - Apr 5 by Hunterhoop

Yes, for the umpteenth time, I’m not saying Chair is sh*t. But he has not played well since he returned. It seems very obvious to me. Ergo he is one of the problems. Let’s not bury our heads in the sand.

Also, whilst we were good with him before AFCON and he was undoubtedly playing well, we actually improved when he left (results wise). Our best run of form was the 6 games he missed (5 wins, 1 draw).

I don’t know why. I was as excited as anyone for his return thinking we’d improve and surely be in the play offs at a minimum.

But we haven’t.

That run was a bit weird though, Coventry and Bristol City both could have quite easily beaten us, for starters. In fact, we were poor in both games.
The resilience we had has gone for a start, as has the luck - i thought city had a nailed on penalty denied when they were one up.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:41 - Apr 5 with 2171 viewshook_hoops

Some of us blame the strikers, but in our recent poor run there has been absolutely zero service to the strikers. Some blame our tendency to pass sideways and backwards across the back line. Yes, we do play sideways and backwards because there is nobody in midfield to pass to who is on the half turn and looking to move the ball forward (to be fair, Dom Ball was quite good at that). Instead, it comes straight back to the defender who has to hoof the ball forward and possession is lost. With Albert and Wallace out wide, there is no pace in the team. In short, we have absolutely no forward momentum. I agree that Chair has looked off since he returned from AFCON but we know the player he can be but he needs help. The loss of Willock has been the real body blow.

I still think we have the the makings of a very decent squad for next season provided we recruit well with a bit of pace high up on the shopping list.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:43 - Apr 5 with 2146 viewsHunterhoop

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:38 - Apr 5 by distortR

That run was a bit weird though, Coventry and Bristol City both could have quite easily beaten us, for starters. In fact, we were poor in both games.
The resilience we had has gone for a start, as has the luck - i thought city had a nailed on penalty denied when they were one up.

True, but we were lucky at other times this season. Barnsley at home, Cov at home, Forest at home, all could have beaten us. Boro away could have done. Luton away could have recently. We could have won some we lost too (Brizzle!!). It’s a results business though, and in those Jan wins, when we did get the ball, we attacked more incisively, more directly, in my opinion. We’ve lost that.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:45 - Apr 5 with 2118 viewsactonman

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:38 - Apr 5 by distortR

Good point ! I was of the thinking at the time , good teams grind out wins when playing badly but it appears we were just lucky , false economy?
Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:49 - Apr 5 with 2073 viewsdistortR

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:43 - Apr 5 by Hunterhoop

True, but we were lucky at other times this season. Barnsley at home, Cov at home, Forest at home, all could have beaten us. Boro away could have done. Luton away could have recently. We could have won some we lost too (Brizzle!!). It’s a results business though, and in those Jan wins, when we did get the ball, we attacked more incisively, more directly, in my opinion. We’ve lost that.

while I thoroughly enjoyed it, we scored too many 'special' goals earlier in the season - goal of the month competitions seemed to mainly comprise of us. we haven't created enough all season, and now the worldies have dried up, we're left with..........not a lot
Login to get fewer ads

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:49 - Apr 5 with 2061 viewsswisscottage

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:21 - Apr 5 by Hunterhoop

So would I!

I think the age/tiredness point is valid and should be added to the list above.

But I personally can’t comprehend how some fans can’t see that Chair isn’t ONE of the problems. In the opposition’s half he is always slowing us down and letting defenders get back in position. It screams out at me every time. I don’t understand how some others can’t see it.

On a more positive note, Sam Field continues to look like an excellent signing. Works his socks off, reads the game well, and was still busting a gut to get back and defend at the end there. Love his attitude.

Chair is a shadow of the player he was in the first half of the season, but I also believe that is due to the complete lack of anyone around him capable of retaining possession.

He has no foil to rotate the ball. There's no one able to play the triangles that worked so well for us in the first half of the season and he probably feels he has to do it all on his own because there isn't a creative bone left elsewhere in the teams Warburton is selecting.

Half the team changes each bleeding match, there's no consistency of selection, and we cannot maintain any sort of rhythm without it.

Warburton continues to pick Hendricks who offers absolutely nothing defensively or offensively, when any of Ball, Amos or Dozell would provide something extra.
Ball energy and drive
Dozell better passing and a foil for Chair
Amos, box to box capable of making runs and getting goals.

Players who play well one match are dropped the next. Why didn't Thomas start? He was one of the few that had a good game on Saturday and then he gets dropped. When he would have been a better choice to start alongside Dykes.

For the second match running we've conceded a goal because we don't defend the edge of our box from set pieces. Its basic, and that is down to coaching. We did the same at the beginning of the second half and were lucky Sheffield didn't do more with the opportunity.

I have to say I've been a big defender of Warbuton through the rough patch in the first half of last season, but since the turn of the year I really do think he's lost the plot.

The three at the back and wing backs don't work unless we can retain possession and have someone in midfield who has some level of creativity(Johansen or Dozell) or ability to turn and drive with the ball(Ball). A midfield of Hendricks and Field is a dream midfield .. for the opposition to defend against.

We won't retain possession without playing players who are comfortable receiving and retaining the ball under pressure.

It just seems Warburton has buckled under the pressure of the run-in and moved the team away from what it was doing well in the first half of the season.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 22:50]
Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:51 - Apr 5 with 2043 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:41 - Apr 5 by hook_hoops

Some of us blame the strikers, but in our recent poor run there has been absolutely zero service to the strikers. Some blame our tendency to pass sideways and backwards across the back line. Yes, we do play sideways and backwards because there is nobody in midfield to pass to who is on the half turn and looking to move the ball forward (to be fair, Dom Ball was quite good at that). Instead, it comes straight back to the defender who has to hoof the ball forward and possession is lost. With Albert and Wallace out wide, there is no pace in the team. In short, we have absolutely no forward momentum. I agree that Chair has looked off since he returned from AFCON but we know the player he can be but he needs help. The loss of Willock has been the real body blow.

I still think we have the the makings of a very decent squad for next season provided we recruit well with a bit of pace high up on the shopping list.

Yes agree both Dykes and Gray were dropping deep today to find the ball then trying to pass it forward to where they should have been. We've become too disjointed.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:51 - Apr 5 with 2030 viewsKerryE

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:09 - Apr 5 by CliveWilsonSaid

Chair is the rhythm guitarist in the band. He's the fruit juice in the Cocktail.

What, like...George Harrison
Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:57 - Apr 5 with 1975 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:51 - Apr 5 by KerryE

What, like...George Harrison

Can't argue too much with that...

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Why has it all gone wrong? on 23:06 - Apr 5 with 1931 viewsdanehoop

I think the loss of Willock and 4 keepers has been problematic for us and certainly unsettled what had been a tight and overperforming group of players.

Chair seems to have been shafted by Morocco, doesn't get much game time for them, sent basically a month largely warming a bench. Probably knocked both his confidence a bit and lost his edge. When he has come back he has lost his mate and wingman WIllock, also lost Wallace for some of the time as well. So now is suddenly finding a lot resting on his young shoulders all of a sudden when he has lost a lot of game time and is getting upto speed.

Other issues have been the reinforcements in the window which have unsettled the side and don't really seem to have added any improvements. Hendrick is a good player, but again ring rust aside, doesnt offer much to way that had previously been playing and seems to slow us down somehow. Sanderson has potential - but isn't ours and should not be starting if the others we own are fit.

Losing Dykes hasnt helped us, just when we needed him (not his fault there) and Austin we know has had off field issues which would have taken him sometime to get over. Johanson carried a knock for a bit and also wasnt at his best for past few months.

All in all, we overachieved first half of the season, lost key players at the wrong time and now are struggling to make headway after reinforcing in places which in hindsight havent benefitted us. Its just incredibly unfortunate having seen how well we can play with full fit squad. Now the question really is what can be salvaged and learnt from this promising improvement to carry forward into next year. Key thing for me will be added pace and more leadership in the team (we have been notably quieter since January). Hope that a few of the players on loan from our U23's really kick on to give us options next year, otherwise we are going to need quite a bit of change needed.

Never knowingly understood

Why has it all gone wrong? on 23:11 - Apr 5 with 1903 viewsdannyblue

Shoehorning hendrick and sanderson in, plus marshall chucking a couple in, plus musical chairs with the back three, and then latterly willock's injury - all have served to bugger us a bit...plus teams have worked out how to stifle us and we haven't managed to win the arm wrestles or create something else...chair a red herring...and, if we're honest, our results had been better than our performances for a while before the downturn.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 23:16 - Apr 5 with 1872 viewsParkRoyalR

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:49 - Apr 5 by swisscottage

Chair is a shadow of the player he was in the first half of the season, but I also believe that is due to the complete lack of anyone around him capable of retaining possession.

He has no foil to rotate the ball. There's no one able to play the triangles that worked so well for us in the first half of the season and he probably feels he has to do it all on his own because there isn't a creative bone left elsewhere in the teams Warburton is selecting.

Half the team changes each bleeding match, there's no consistency of selection, and we cannot maintain any sort of rhythm without it.

Warburton continues to pick Hendricks who offers absolutely nothing defensively or offensively, when any of Ball, Amos or Dozell would provide something extra.
Ball energy and drive
Dozell better passing and a foil for Chair
Amos, box to box capable of making runs and getting goals.

Players who play well one match are dropped the next. Why didn't Thomas start? He was one of the few that had a good game on Saturday and then he gets dropped. When he would have been a better choice to start alongside Dykes.

For the second match running we've conceded a goal because we don't defend the edge of our box from set pieces. Its basic, and that is down to coaching. We did the same at the beginning of the second half and were lucky Sheffield didn't do more with the opportunity.

I have to say I've been a big defender of Warbuton through the rough patch in the first half of last season, but since the turn of the year I really do think he's lost the plot.

The three at the back and wing backs don't work unless we can retain possession and have someone in midfield who has some level of creativity(Johansen or Dozell) or ability to turn and drive with the ball(Ball). A midfield of Hendricks and Field is a dream midfield .. for the opposition to defend against.

We won't retain possession without playing players who are comfortable receiving and retaining the ball under pressure.

It just seems Warburton has buckled under the pressure of the run-in and moved the team away from what it was doing well in the first half of the season.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2022 22:50]

Chair took 3 touches to control the ball before returning a cleared corner back into the box tonite - why?! It's almost a nervous tick.

Also had a great opportunity to cross first time on his left foot but came back onto his right and the chance was lost - why?!

Compare the above with Willock's extra quality in January and the fact we played two Wing-backs over 34 years old tonite instead of McCallum + Sanderson and you have the key reasons we created so little in attack.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 23:22 - Apr 5 with 1841 viewsHunterhoop

Why has it all gone wrong? on 23:11 - Apr 5 by dannyblue

Shoehorning hendrick and sanderson in, plus marshall chucking a couple in, plus musical chairs with the back three, and then latterly willock's injury - all have served to bugger us a bit...plus teams have worked out how to stifle us and we haven't managed to win the arm wrestles or create something else...chair a red herring...and, if we're honest, our results had been better than our performances for a while before the downturn.

I’d love to be wrong about Chair. I’d love him to find his form and come back next season on fire. I really would.

I definitely think he can be part of a very successful side at this level, but I do think he needs to make some big changes to his game to achieve this.

I suppose a follow up question is whether Warburton is the man to bring this change and improve many out of him so he performs consistently at the level we know he can or better?
Why has it all gone wrong? on 23:35 - Apr 5 with 1780 viewsdannyblue

Why has it all gone wrong? on 23:22 - Apr 5 by Hunterhoop

I’d love to be wrong about Chair. I’d love him to find his form and come back next season on fire. I really would.

I definitely think he can be part of a very successful side at this level, but I do think he needs to make some big changes to his game to achieve this.

I suppose a follow up question is whether Warburton is the man to bring this change and improve many out of him so he performs consistently at the level we know he can or better?

Chair's not perfect. He's very right footed. He likes an extra touch. He's tiny.

But what a right foot. What a touch. And he's never muscled off the ball. The way he can receive a ball on the turn and drive is fantastic. Did that a couple times tonight. The speed with which he can change direction. The ability he has to form partnerships - with Manning, BOS, Ebs, Wallace, Willock...plus his energy and desire to show and close compared to other players of similar skill. Get the ball to him and he can give us good posession at the right end of the pitch.

An important part of our team, an asset, one of our own, and a likeable guy as well.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 23:36 - Apr 5 with 1773 viewsLblock

WHY?

If anyone on here knew that then they’ll be on the Board or “coaching” set up.
What we do know is WHEN

Bizarrely, I’d say it was January which is probably the month with our best points return!!!
Players went off to AFCON
Returned and came straight back in (sort of)
Everyone could see we needed more energy and pace, especially going forward, and there was even talk from certain quarters of a challenge for the top two.
The two players we got and the one(s) we outed clearly upset spirit along with the above. Not saying the squad were anti additions…. Arthey would have welcomed certain types of players to help them push on I reckon
The few spawny results we got around this period meant Warburton could point to not adding more to the squad and blocking transfers. Foolish as performances from my armchair looked poor and had been for a while.

I’d love to know why, hopefully someone in the club does so that lessons can be learnt and we can come back stronger.
What? At QPR? Mmmmmmmmm

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Why has it all gone wrong? on 23:39 - Apr 5 with 1757 viewsLazyFan

Chair is fine.

Missing key players like Willock, Dykes, JoJo, and Dieng (the rest ain't that good).
Before that, it was 4 wingbacks all injured at the same time.

Gray stepped up somewhat, but we really don't play to his strengths. Austin is finished, even for 20 mins now. Looks like Cameron, he's done.

Sanderson is okay, but Hendricks while not terrible, offers nothing new that was worth having him on loan. Remember he was billed as a great Prem talent. Yet JoJo does everything Hendricks can, but chases down the oppo more and also runs in behind the defence (which Hendrick does not do).

I suspect Hendricks and Gray will go back. But we shall try to sign Sanderson and Mccallum we cannot afford at all. As I said, we are looking at 7th max this season. Due to our budget, this is progress.

Next season we need: 1-2 LB, 2nd GK, 1 pacy striker and 1 hold up player.

zzzzzzzzzz

Why has it all gone wrong? on 23:44 - Apr 5 with 1743 viewsWegerles_Stairs

We were only in the position we were at the end of January because of Willock; he's streets ahead of anyone else in our squad. Ultimately we're an incredibly slow, laboured outfit; quite why we haven't found a couple of fit and fast wing backs to get us up the pitch and crossing the ball into the danger zone is beyond me. Tonight was a 'must-win' and we didn't even test their keeper.

But.....considering where we were at the end of January, it really has been quite the shit show to get to where we are now. The January window is where smart owners/managers consolidate their position or look to push on - we signed Jeff Hendrick. Got to rank as one of the worst signings this club has ever made. Not only has he contributed nothing but his continual selection has meant a player like Amos who actually has energy, gets into the opposition box AND EVEN SCORES was dropped.

Anyway, without Chrissy Willock you saw how shit we are tonight.....and on Saturday.....and the Sunday before that, etc.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 23:54 - Apr 5 with 1722 viewsParkRoyalR

Why has it all gone wrong? on 23:35 - Apr 5 by dannyblue

Chair's not perfect. He's very right footed. He likes an extra touch. He's tiny.

But what a right foot. What a touch. And he's never muscled off the ball. The way he can receive a ball on the turn and drive is fantastic. Did that a couple times tonight. The speed with which he can change direction. The ability he has to form partnerships - with Manning, BOS, Ebs, Wallace, Willock...plus his energy and desire to show and close compared to other players of similar skill. Get the ball to him and he can give us good posession at the right end of the pitch.

An important part of our team, an asset, one of our own, and a likeable guy as well.

I agree with all of the above but, other than quality corners, there is very little end product in open play.

It's almost as if the better players like Willock and Eze use him as a 1-2 and take the ball back and do something with it. Just so frustrated why he hasn't learnt to play with his head up and move the ball quicker.

Still never hides, always shows, and works his socks off so fair play to him - just want him to step up to the next level like Willock has done so quickly.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 00:29 - Apr 6 with 1635 viewsVancouverHoop

I'm generally in Hunter's corner re: Chair (as noted in a couple of other threads.) I think his play has, at best, leveled off this year and he misses Willock much more than Willock misses him.

Regarding AFCON. In spite of their results the Moroccan squad is rife with squabbles. Two senior players walked out after disagreements with the manager. I'm not sure what impact, if any, this had on Ilias but it probably wasn't very positive.

Let's face it, all other things being equal, we need speed and we need strikers. Thomas is fast, Gray's fast, and McCallum seems fast, everyone else not so much. They need to play more than they have. I know McCallum's been injured, Thomas needs to do more than sprint, and Gray isn't very versatile, but they're all in the team now and should stay there, at least for now.

And why, oh why, don't we have anyone who can take a decent corner or free kick? Aren't these skills supposed to be kinda basic?
Why has it all gone wrong? on 00:39 - Apr 6 with 1618 viewsJigsore

think we're all agreed that, while he's obviously not the only problem, Hendrick's move has not worked out and he needs to be benched so Dozzell and Amos get more game time

I don't even think Jeff is a bad player particularly but the way I look at it is he's spent the last 5+ years playing in Sean Dyche and Steve Bruce teams just trying to keep their heads above water in the Premier League. That basically equates to a lot of running around and trying to stop the opposition doing things rather than creating chances for yourself or the team

with that in mind I don't really know QPR thought he would slot seamlessly into a team that is supposed to be playing on the front foot and fighting for promotion

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Why has it all gone wrong? on 01:20 - Apr 6 with 1563 viewsstrikerace

The midfield has evaporated. It feels like the competition has figured something out. No longer do we string together any passes to move from defence to an attacking position, deliver any service to the strikers, and we don't shield the defenders. In my opinion this is where we lose it.
Why has it all gone wrong? on 01:29 - Apr 6 with 1559 viewsMiss_Terraces

Why has it all gone wrong? on 22:08 - Apr 5 by MedwayR

Injuries have played a big part...

The loss of Dieng has been key, might just be the impression I get but we seem to play deeper without him as the replacement GKs aren't as comfortable on the ball.

Obviously losing Willock has had a huge impact, we lack creativity without him.

Dykes being injured has also meant we've struggled up front. I know he's limited but he at least gets involved in build up play, gives us a target and at times occupies their CBs.

On top of that the signing of Hendrick has resulted in us using Dozzell and Amos (who's been too good to leave out lately) less and completely closed the door for Ball who's never let us down. Seems very unfair to me.

I also think we should've changed to a back 4 a while ago, the current system isn't working so worth a try.

We've missed Seny the goalkeeper but even more so Seny the footballer. His ability on the ball was the base of everything we did

Poll: Why are you a QPR supporter?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024