Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea RFC 09:10 - Dec 15 with 3631 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Anyone go? What's the standard / atmosphere like at St Helens these days?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Swansea RFC on 09:11 - Dec 15 with 2961 viewsonehunglow

Great memories for me.
I never got over the way the stadium went

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea RFC on 09:15 - Dec 15 with 2958 viewsmangohilljack

Saw a few good games back in the day

Beating Australia and a blood bath against Brive spring to mind
Swansea RFC on 10:45 - Dec 15 with 2912 viewsTogg

Was a regular there . Should have developed St Helens into a small Rugby stadia when Glamorgan went. Brilliant ground great history of Rugby and Cricket.
Regions have never worked for me
Swansea RFC on 10:58 - Dec 15 with 2901 viewsbritferry

a team like Aberavon, in the Ospreys region, go for the title, frustratingly, the Whites are used as a development team for the region and are usually in the bottom half rather then the top half.

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Swansea RFC on 13:40 - Dec 15 with 2854 viewsbuilthjack

The Ospreys should move there

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Swansea RFC on 16:19 - Dec 15 with 2813 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Swansea RFC on 13:40 - Dec 15 by builthjack

The Ospreys should move there

Unfortunately the 6000 capacity of St Helens is too small for the Ospreys.

The Swansea.com stadium is council owned so no reason why the Ospreys and Swansea City should play elsewhere.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Swansea RFC on 22:07 - Dec 15 with 2753 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea RFC on 16:19 - Dec 15 by felixstowe_jack

The Swansea.com stadium is council owned so no reason why the Ospreys and Swansea City should play elsewhere.

ospreys 7,000 crowds are lost at the Liberty.

St Helens with a bit of work might work just fine.

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea RFC on 22:10 - Dec 15 with 2753 viewsAguycalledJack

Swansea RFC on 22:07 - Dec 15 by Kilkennyjack

ospreys 7,000 crowds are lost at the Liberty.

St Helens with a bit of work might work just fine.

I thought they were only getting about 4,000 or less these days?
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea RFC on 22:41 - Dec 15 with 2740 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea RFC on 22:10 - Dec 15 by AguycalledJack

I thought they were only getting about 4,000 or less these days?

I thought the same, but the latest i could see were 6700 from a year or 2 back.

If you are correct then a move is best, but the Gnoll might want a say in that.

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea RFC on 06:54 - Dec 16 with 2712 viewsDr_Winston

They could play the odd big game in the proper stadium, but for the most part St. Helens is more than big enough for the Ospreys.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea RFC on 07:42 - Dec 16 with 2698 viewsWhiterockin

Although the stadium is owned by the council it is leased by the football club.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Swansea RFC on 07:54 - Dec 16 with 2691 viewsBrynmill_Jack

In the 50’s when Wales played international rugby there they were having crowds of 50,000. That was maybe before Cardiff was awarded “capital city status”. Small surprise that both the rugby and more recently first class county cricket departed eastwards never to be seen again…… Couldn’t St Helens have been invested in by the relevant partners who transformed Sophia Gardens? As it had much stronger ties with Glamorgan CCC than Sophia Gardens ever did ?

Regional rugby has ruined our club game - the All Whites used to got much better attendances than the Ospreys and that’s 3 clubs combined in reality. Or are Bridgend included too nowadays? That would make four.

Bottom line is that it’s sad to see such an iconic ground with such history now completely irrelevant.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Swansea RFC on 14:00 - Dec 16 with 2648 viewsThrasher6

Can someone answer the OP's question........jeez...?

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Swansea RFC on 14:17 - Dec 16 with 2635 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Swansea RFC on 14:00 - Dec 16 by Thrasher6

Thanks, I am assuming nobody on here goes anymore? In which case I shall attend and report back.

Swansea RFC on 18:09 - Dec 16 with 2598 viewsTogg

Swansea RFC on 14:00 - Dec 16 by Thrasher6

I would imagine not many go now. I was told ( by a well known Neath ex international) a lot of ex Swansea players from the 80s and 90s are watching the Whites rather than going to see the Ospreys.
It pains me seeing what happened to such a great club. Only two teams ever mattered to me. The Swans and the All Whites. Welsh Rugby was built on the club game.
Swansea RFC on 00:10 - Dec 17 with 2542 viewsmajorraglan

Can’t specifically answer the bit about St Helens and atmosphere but I do watch a fair bit of semi pro Premiership Rugby and it’s a decent standard.

In my opinion the Premiership has suffered at the hands of the WRU as they haven't really known what to do with it. Club budgets have been significantly cut, we’ve had the British and Irish cup which went nowhere, regional academy under 23 teams playing each other which went down really well - not !!! and lastly a complete lack of publicity and then lack of media interest.

In terms of Swansea, they were relegated a few years ago and since they’ve come back up they’ve tended to be bottom half of the Premiership. It appears Swansea benefit from having a lot of Osprey academy players and they also seem to getting senior Ospreys who aren’t quite making the O’s match day squads or those coming back from injury and looking for game time. Aberavon don’t seem to be getting Osprey players at the moment, so I suspect the Os are focusing on “supporting” Swansea, but I maybe wrong. ( that’s how it looks to me). Whether or not concentrating the young O’s in Swansea is a good thing or not remains to be seen. Cardiff are the best club side in Wales at the moment and they have a good relationship with the Blues, and a lot of the Blues academy players and senior pro’s looking for game time end up playing for Cardiff. The advantages of this is that the players development can be monitored closely etc, but it also distorts the Premiership as a competition because Cardiff are by some distance the strongest team in the league and occasionally dish out a pasting to the other teams. Aberavon are competitive, but their squad is based more on seasoned semi pro’s with some youngsters who’ve mainly failed to make the grade in to full time rugby. In my opinion the Premiership should be the second tier of Welsh rugby and run so that it provides a high standard of competition to give youngsters the chance to cut their teeth in preparation for the Regions. A tough competition, where seasoned vets and youngsters play together and against each other should provide an environment where skills and ability is improved. I’d have a draft system and share the players from the regional teams around likevthey do innthe NFL.
To be fair to Aberavon, they’ve picked up a few young players who've either been dropped by the Regions, been overlooked etc and given them a platform to push ahead. Jac Morgan was cut by the Scarlets, signed by Aberavon and now he’s an Osprey and full Wales international. Had we not had the Premiership he may never have made it.

Go down a check out the Whites game, it’s something like £10 admission which isn’t bad at all.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2022 9:09]
Swansea RFC on 09:04 - Dec 17 with 2488 viewsTogg

Swansea RFC on 00:10 - Dec 17 by majorraglan

Can’t specifically answer the bit about St Helens and atmosphere but I do watch a fair bit of semi pro Premiership Rugby and it’s a decent standard.

In my opinion the Premiership has suffered at the hands of the WRU as they haven't really known what to do with it. Club budgets have been significantly cut, we’ve had the British and Irish cup which went nowhere, regional academy under 23 teams playing each other which went down really well - not !!! and lastly a complete lack of publicity and then lack of media interest.

In terms of Swansea, they were relegated a few years ago and since they’ve come back up they’ve tended to be bottom half of the Premiership. It appears Swansea benefit from having a lot of Osprey academy players and they also seem to getting senior Ospreys who aren’t quite making the O’s match day squads or those coming back from injury and looking for game time. Aberavon don’t seem to be getting Osprey players at the moment, so I suspect the Os are focusing on “supporting” Swansea, but I maybe wrong. ( that’s how it looks to me). Whether or not concentrating the young O’s in Swansea is a good thing or not remains to be seen. Cardiff are the best club side in Wales at the moment and they have a good relationship with the Blues, and a lot of the Blues academy players and senior pro’s looking for game time end up playing for Cardiff. The advantages of this is that the players development can be monitored closely etc, but it also distorts the Premiership as a competition because Cardiff are by some distance the strongest team in the league and occasionally dish out a pasting to the other teams. Aberavon are competitive, but their squad is based more on seasoned semi pro’s with some youngsters who’ve mainly failed to make the grade in to full time rugby. In my opinion the Premiership should be the second tier of Welsh rugby and run so that it provides a high standard of competition to give youngsters the chance to cut their teeth in preparation for the Regions. A tough competition, where seasoned vets and youngsters play together and against each other should provide an environment where skills and ability is improved. I’d have a draft system and share the players from the regional teams around likevthey do innthe NFL.
To be fair to Aberavon, they’ve picked up a few young players who've either been dropped by the Regions, been overlooked etc and given them a platform to push ahead. Jac Morgan was cut by the Scarlets, signed by Aberavon and now he’s an Osprey and full Wales international. Had we not had the Premiership he may never have made it.

Go down a check out the Whites game, it’s something like £10 admission which isn’t bad at all.

Good post that. Thanks
Swansea RFC on 09:19 - Dec 17 with 2471 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Swansea RFC on 00:10 - Dec 17 by majorraglan

Thanks for the post, your points about governance from the WRU are interesting. As you say there is room to make the competition much more attractive, judging by the posts on here a bit of latent interest exists as well.

Swansea RFC on 18:29 - Dec 17 with 2414 viewsmajorraglan

Carmarthen Quine were pasted by Cardiff RFC earlier today, 82-0. The Cardiff team had a fair few Blues and Blues Academy players in the match day squad and the mangled the Quins. That kind of result isn’t going to do Welsh rugby any good.
Swansea RFC on 18:45 - Dec 17 with 2413 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea RFC on 07:54 - Dec 16 by Brynmill_Jack

In the 50’s when Wales played international rugby there they were having crowds of 50,000. That was maybe before Cardiff was awarded “capital city status”. Small surprise that both the rugby and more recently first class county cricket departed eastwards never to be seen again…… Couldn’t St Helens have been invested in by the relevant partners who transformed Sophia Gardens? As it had much stronger ties with Glamorgan CCC than Sophia Gardens ever did ?

Regional rugby has ruined our club game - the All Whites used to got much better attendances than the Ospreys and that’s 3 clubs combined in reality. Or are Bridgend included too nowadays? That would make four.

Bottom line is that it’s sad to see such an iconic ground with such history now completely irrelevant.

People then had less distractions and less things to do.
I think.

And of course it was affordable.

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea RFC on 18:56 - Dec 17 with 2408 viewsTogg

Swansea RFC on 18:29 - Dec 17 by majorraglan

Carmarthen Quine were pasted by Cardiff RFC earlier today, 82-0. The Cardiff team had a fair few Blues and Blues Academy players in the match day squad and the mangled the Quins. That kind of result isn’t going to do Welsh rugby any good.

Yes that doesn't help at all.
Swansea RFC on 23:43 - Jan 7 with 2159 viewsmajorraglan

I actually went to watch the Aberavon V Swansea game this afternoon. The Swansea team featured a large number of Osprey senior squad and academy/development players. Aberavon were the better team and well worth their 22 - 8 win. Weather wasn't great, but it was a decent game with no quarter given as both sides got stuck in. The Wizards had a lot more of the territory and possession while the Whites defended bravely but were outclassed.
Swansea RFC on 07:10 - Jan 8 with 2117 viewsSullutaCreturned

Swansea RFC on 22:41 - Dec 15 by Kilkennyjack

I thought the same, but the latest i could see were 6700 from a year or 2 back.

If you are correct then a move is best, but the Gnoll might want a say in that.

They get a few larger crowds, like the Scarlets on boxing day which usually sells the Liberty/S.com out. Otherwise their crowds are often poor and maybe 6000 is enough most of the time.

Part of the prblem is a lot of Neath rugby fans turned their back on the region because they don't like that the stadium is in Swansea but what can you do about that, build a big enough stadium smack on the dividing line? That's silly, the ground was always going to be in one or the other and continually moving about seems silly too.
Regions don't work for me either, there is just too much hstory, too much rivalry which is still there. The WRU has a big mess to fix but they always seem to want to go in the direction of fewer pro clubs.

I was a regular at St Helens for a while, the Whites used to get 6-8000 bythemselves and Neath would too, even if you called that a combined 10,000 the region is still badly underperforming in attendances and shoudn't the powers that be wonder why?
Swansea RFC on 07:52 - Jan 8 with 2078 viewsWhiterockin

Swansea RFC on 07:10 - Jan 8 by SullutaCreturned

They get a few larger crowds, like the Scarlets on boxing day which usually sells the Liberty/S.com out. Otherwise their crowds are often poor and maybe 6000 is enough most of the time.

Part of the prblem is a lot of Neath rugby fans turned their back on the region because they don't like that the stadium is in Swansea but what can you do about that, build a big enough stadium smack on the dividing line? That's silly, the ground was always going to be in one or the other and continually moving about seems silly too.
Regions don't work for me either, there is just too much hstory, too much rivalry which is still there. The WRU has a big mess to fix but they always seem to want to go in the direction of fewer pro clubs.

I was a regular at St Helens for a while, the Whites used to get 6-8000 bythemselves and Neath would too, even if you called that a combined 10,000 the region is still badly underperforming in attendances and shoudn't the powers that be wonder why?

One of the reasons the attendance is relatively low could be most of the matches are shown live on TV.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Swansea RFC on 13:51 - Jan 8 with 1990 viewsTreforys_Jack

Swansea RFC on 18:29 - Dec 17 by majorraglan

Quins were becoming a big noise a few years back, obviously the money has run out, a bit like Dunvant and Bonymaen back in the day. It's mad to think I watched Dunvant playing competively against Swansea, Cardiff, Llanelli, even Japan. Think the WRU shat themselves at the time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024