Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For the sake of Clives sanity 21:25 - Sep 16 with 15933 viewsChrisNW6

Can we avoid a Russell Brand thread šŸ˜..... remember this is definitely not a RB thread
For the sake of Clives sanity on 11:31 - Sep 17 with 2363 viewsRanger_Things

For the sake of Clives sanity on 10:48 - Sep 17 by ChrisNW6

Reinvented himself as a health guru on you tube and has been pretty successful.

Why did he have to reinvent himself then? Obviously Andrew Tate, Steve Bannon, Joe Rogan and co have proved thereā€™s a sht load of money in that particular racket but itā€™s a massive fall from grace starring in A list movies, Hollywood red carpets and guesting on The Simpsons to podcasting from home to a bunch of basement and box room dwellers.
Was it a case of common knowledge in the business but no charges brought forward?
For the sake of Clives sanity on 11:45 - Sep 17 with 2309 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

For the sake of Clives sanity on 11:31 - Sep 17 by Ranger_Things

Why did he have to reinvent himself then? Obviously Andrew Tate, Steve Bannon, Joe Rogan and co have proved thereā€™s a sht load of money in that particular racket but itā€™s a massive fall from grace starring in A list movies, Hollywood red carpets and guesting on The Simpsons to podcasting from home to a bunch of basement and box room dwellers.
Was it a case of common knowledge in the business but no charges brought forward?

Looks like non-football stuff's back on the menu boys. How many of you read and liked Clive's post back in August?
For the sake of Clives sanity on 11:48 - Sep 17 with 2300 viewsR_from_afar

I think I might start a poll:

Question: Have we successfully avoided having a debate about Russell Brand?
A - Yes
B - No
C - Who's Russell Brand? An out of contract, six foot nine Venezuelan striker Ainsworth is trying to sign?

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

For the sake of Clives sanity on 11:49 - Sep 17 with 2288 viewstraininvain

For the sake of Clives sanity on 11:31 - Sep 17 by Ranger_Things

N/M.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2023 11:51]
For the sake of Clives sanity on 11:51 - Sep 17 with 2270 viewstraininvain

For the sake of Clives sanity on 11:45 - Sep 17 by Orthodox_Hoop

Looks like non-football stuff's back on the menu boys. How many of you read and liked Clive's post back in August?

Fair point. Going to edit my post to n/m as this isnā€™t fair on Clive.
For the sake of Clives sanity on 12:08 - Sep 17 with 2218 viewsE17hoop

For everyone criticising the media for this, a reminder the police Yewtree investigation into Saville and others was only instigated after an ITV documentary was broadcast. The media does an important job initiating investigations into celebrities who are a step removed from criticism.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

For the sake of Clives sanity on 12:19 - Sep 17 with 2191 viewsted_hendrix

For the sake of Clives sanity on 12:08 - Sep 17 by E17hoop

For everyone criticising the media for this, a reminder the police Yewtree investigation into Saville and others was only instigated after an ITV documentary was broadcast. The media does an important job initiating investigations into celebrities who are a step removed from criticism.

Watergate.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

For the sake of Clives sanity on 12:35 - Sep 17 with 2133 viewscharmr

It seems some posters just canā€™t help themselves.
Login to get fewer ads

For the sake of Clives sanity on 12:54 - Sep 17 with 2082 viewsChrisNW6

For the sake of Clives sanity on 12:35 - Sep 17 by charmr

It seems some posters just canā€™t help themselves.

I think it was inevitable there would a non football post on this subject and I was attempting to diffuse the potential of someone opening the conversation with a contentious devisive viewpoint.

Happy for this post to end here and thread deleted, before it starts becoming a problem.
For the sake of Clives sanity on 13:02 - Sep 17 with 2066 viewsNorthernr

Look as long as it stays within the boundaries of libel laws and doesn't go off down whacky conspiracy theory rabbit holes then knock yourselves out.

My point a couple of weeks ago was about treating each other with respect, as QPR fans, even when we disagree, because multiple threads had turned toxic and/or been hijacked and trolled.
For the sake of Clives sanity on 13:55 - Sep 17 with 1932 viewsWA_Hoop

Maybe establishing 6.5 Million YouTube subscribers and being a constant thorn in the side of the'Establishment' results in the Government controlled BBC thinking this supposedly relatively minor celebrity is Global headline news ?Just sayiing?!
For the sake of Clives sanity on 13:58 - Sep 17 with 1922 viewsE17hoop

For the sake of Clives sanity on 13:02 - Sep 17 by Northernr

Look as long as it stays within the boundaries of libel laws and doesn't go off down whacky conspiracy theory rabbit holes then knock yourselves out.

My point a couple of weeks ago was about treating each other with respect, as QPR fans, even when we disagree, because multiple threads had turned toxic and/or been hijacked and trolled.

53 minutes FFS

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Who do you want as next Next England manager?

For the sake of Clives sanity on 14:37 - Sep 17 with 1835 viewsWA_Hoop

For the sake of Clives sanity on 12:08 - Sep 17 by E17hoop

Alas, in this case Keir Stamer failed to do an important job.
For the sake of Clives sanity on 14:44 - Sep 17 with 1807 viewspaulparker

PM
New
Add bookmark
Brand asked her to dinner and she later told her mother, who made Alice text Brand to tell him her age, assuming it would put him off. It didnā€™t. Aliceā€™s mother was very upset but did not feel she could control who her daughter met.

When he invited her over on his 31st birthday, Aliceā€™s mother insisted on driving her, to emphasise to him that this was a girl with loving parents. When Aliceā€™s mother went to meet Brand on the doorstep, Alice says that he blocked the door and ā€œleant down and kissed my mother on the mouthā€. She says that afterwards her mother was ā€œvery, very upsetā€ at Brandā€™s behaviour and pleaded with Alice to come home with her, but Alice chose to stay.

ā€œMy mum still feels like she failed me in some way in allowing this to happen, but she had no recourse at all,ā€

The state of this parenting!!!!!

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot Thatā€™s there thatā€™s two, and thatā€™s Bowles Brian Moore

For the sake of Clives sanity on 14:50 - Sep 17 with 1791 viewsPlanetHonneywood

For the sake of Clives sanity on 14:37 - Sep 17 by WA_Hoop

Alas, in this case Keir Stamer failed to do an important job.

Complete and utter rubbish WAH, peddled by that buffoon, Johnson.

https://www.bbc.com/news/60213975

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/02/08/fact-check-keir-starmer-responsi

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

For the sake of Clives sanity on 14:55 - Sep 17 with 1781 viewskensalriser

For the sake of Clives sanity on 13:55 - Sep 17 by WA_Hoop

Maybe establishing 6.5 Million YouTube subscribers and being a constant thorn in the side of the'Establishment' results in the Government controlled BBC thinking this supposedly relatively minor celebrity is Global headline news ?Just sayiing?!

Brand is part of the establishment in that he uses his power, status and wealth to abuse people and is able to hide behind the protections the establishment affords (expensive lawyers etc).

He's no rebel, he's just another narcissistic, sociopathic charlatan monetising dupes.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

For the sake of Clives sanity on 15:18 - Sep 17 with 1735 viewsE15Hoop

For the sake of Clives sanity on 14:55 - Sep 17 by kensalriser

Brand is part of the establishment in that he uses his power, status and wealth to abuse people and is able to hide behind the protections the establishment affords (expensive lawyers etc).

He's no rebel, he's just another narcissistic, sociopathic charlatan monetising dupes.

Let's be honest - whichever way this goes, it's not going to end well for him.

Very interesting listening to one of the journalists who put the story together on the Stephen Nolan show on 5live last night. They read out one of the text exchanges between Brand and one of the women who've come forward, and it was pretty damning, including the phrase "No means No", followed by the woman asking Brand if she'll now need to get an STI test.

The evidence seems very strong against him, but even if the case collapses (assuming the women involved do choose to go the police now, which appraently is not a foregone conclusion), his credibility and reputation will most likely be at best permannetly damaged and at worst totally destroyed.

One of my favourite ever books is "The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum" by German author Heinrich Boell. Some of you might have studied it at A-Level. Its the story of a woman who falls in love with a guy who turns out to be a bank robber, and how her previously unblemished reputation is totally destroyed by a tabloid journalist who goes out of his way to dig up and publish as much dirt on her as possible. When he can't find any dirt, he invents it anyway. In the end, she becomes so distressed, she searches out the reporter and shoots him.

The Times journalist who was interviewd by Nolan made all the "right noises" about giving "a voice to the victims", but then gave herself away a little by admitting that the experience had been harrowing for those women who she essentially encouraged into re-living their trauma. Then the interview took an eerie twist about this piece possibly winning her a journalistic award of some kind. So who benefits out pof all of this at the end of the day (apart from the Times, of course...)

I think The Times journalist who
For the sake of Clives sanity on 15:21 - Sep 17 with 1727 viewsE15Hoop

For the sake of Clives sanity on 15:18 - Sep 17 by E15Hoop

Very interesting listening to one of the journalists who put the story together on the Stephen Nolan show on 5live last night. They read out one of the text exchanges between Brand and one of the women who've come forward, and it was pretty damning, including the phrase "No means No", followed by the woman asking Brand if she'll now need to get an STI test.

The evidence seems very strong against him, but even if the case collapses (assuming the women involved do choose to go the police now, which appraently is not a foregone conclusion), his credibility and reputation will most likely be at best permannetly damaged and at worst totally destroyed.

One of my favourite ever books is "The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum" by German author Heinrich Boell. Some of you might have studied it at A-Level. Its the story of a woman who falls in love with a guy who turns out to be a bank robber, and how her previously unblemished reputation is totally destroyed by a tabloid journalist who goes out of his way to dig up and publish as much dirt on her as possible. When he can't find any dirt, he invents it anyway. In the end, she becomes so distressed, she searches out the reporter and shoots him.

The Times journalist who was interviewd by Nolan made all the "right noises" about giving "a voice to the victims", but then gave herself away a little by admitting that the experience had been harrowing for those women who she essentially encouraged into re-living their trauma. Then the interview took an eerie twist about this piece possibly winning her a journalistic award of some kind. So who benefits out pof all of this at the end of the day (apart from the Times, of course...)

(Forgot to delete that lasyt unfinished sentence, sorry..)
For the sake of Clives sanity on 15:44 - Sep 17 with 1689 viewsloftboy

If any of my daughters would have brought a 30 + year old man home when they were 16 Iā€™d probably just be getting parole!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

For the sake of Clives sanity on 15:46 - Sep 17 with 1678 viewsPlanetHonneywood

For the sake of Clives sanity on 15:18 - Sep 17 by E15Hoop

Ahh the court of social media opinion, where the evidence is reasoned, weighed, and decided upon before adjudication is handed down, all substituted for comment that is heavily weighed in favour of encouraging you the jury, to 'hit the like and subscribe button below.'

I watched that Amber Heard and Johnny Depp show on Netflix. Not because I care about the protagonists per se, but how interesting and worrying the influence of social media in such matters, and how it can 'potentially' play a negative role in the outcome.

The source for how big legal cases (certainly in the US) are often so poorly managed, is rooted in the appalling and ridiculous handling of the People v OJ case in the mid-90s. Having live coverage lends itself not to a court hearing, but a bloody circus when streamed live on social media.

But if we're now going to see serious issues raised in the media and not through the criminal prosecutorial procedures, then God help us as it will be a total farce in the making.

For the sake of Clives sanity on 15:55 - Sep 17 with 1649 viewskensalriser

For the sake of Clives sanity on 15:46 - Sep 17 by PlanetHonneywood

Ahh the court of social media opinion, where the evidence is reasoned, weighed, and decided upon before adjudication is handed down, all substituted for comment that is heavily weighed in favour of encouraging you the jury, to 'hit the like and subscribe button below.'

I watched that Amber Heard and Johnny Depp show on Netflix. Not because I care about the protagonists per se, but how interesting and worrying the influence of social media in such matters, and how it can 'potentially' play a negative role in the outcome.

The source for how big legal cases (certainly in the US) are often so poorly managed, is rooted in the appalling and ridiculous handling of the People v OJ case in the mid-90s. Having live coverage lends itself not to a court hearing, but a bloody circus when streamed live on social media.

But if we're now going to see serious issues raised in the media and not through the criminal prosecutorial procedures, then God help us as it will be a total farce in the making.

Isn't part of the problem here that the criminal justice system has been failing for ever on matters of sexual assault? If it was working we wouldn't see documentaries like this.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

For the sake of Clives sanity on 15:57 - Sep 17 with 1632 viewsBoston

For the sake of Clives sanity on 14:55 - Sep 17 by kensalriser

You missed West Ham fan.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

For the sake of Clives sanity on 17:18 - Sep 17 with 1526 viewsFDC

For the sake of Clives sanity on 13:55 - Sep 17 by WA_Hoop

Clive: " just don't go off down whacky conspiracy theory rabbit holes, ok?

WA_Hoop: " Hold my beer"
For the sake of Clives sanity on 17:31 - Sep 17 with 1504 viewsPlanetHonneywood

For the sake of Clives sanity on 15:55 - Sep 17 by kensalriser

Isn't part of the problem here that the criminal justice system has been failing for ever on matters of sexual assault? If it was working we wouldn't see documentaries like this.

Not wishing to rake over old coals, but on a previous contentious footballer rape allegations thread, I said the single most important thing, is having a process that's as good as it has to be. to ensure: complainants can come forward in confidence; the accused get a fair hearing, and whatever the outcome, we are confident that justice has been properly served.

Hard to see how trials by and through the media will serve such aims.

For the sake of Clives sanity on 17:34 - Sep 17 with 1498 viewsE15Hoop

For the sake of Clives sanity on 15:55 - Sep 17 by kensalriser

But if I'm not mistaken, the women involved haven't actually gone to the police before with their allegations , so the criminal justice system in this case hasn't been given the opportunity to deal with this specific issue.

BTW, I'm not in any way suggesting that their allegations should not be taken seriously, especially given the weight of some of the evidence as I posted earlier, but how is the media able to get hold of this and run with it purely for its own egrandissement before we've even had the proper legal process?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024