Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR's worst ever manager 22:43 - Feb 17 with 6045 viewsNortholt_Rs

Come on then just for fun....who gets your vote?

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

QPR's worst ever manager on 10:25 - Feb 18 with 1635 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR's worst ever manager on 09:27 - Feb 18 by davman

Absolutely disagree. He lost Ferdinand and made a couple of howlers in the transfer market, but miles away from Hughes and Mullery's incompetence.

I agree that he wasn't in the same league as Mullery and his ilk but the one thing Wilkins always gets a free pass on his is his tactics and team selection, which changed from game to game. I thought at the time that we would have stayed up with relative ease only for the uncertainty created by his indecision.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR's worst ever manager on 10:27 - Feb 18 with 1627 viewsBrianMcCarthy

And I'm with all those that have Redknapp as the most hated manager. Christ, he was a horrible bit of work.

QPR's worst ever manager on 10:28 - Feb 18 with 1623 viewsCamberleyR

Another Mullery vote but Burtenshaw has got to be right up there. By a gnat's whisker a slightly worse win percentage than Harford (14 to 12%). That 78/79 season was (bar the obligatory win at Scumford Bridge we used to get then) fcking relentlessly grim. SIX wins all season from a team that still had in it's ranks; Parkes( for half a season), Clement, Gillard, Hollins, Gerry, Stan, from the best ever team plus Roeder and the emerging Goddard. To get that few wins from that team is f@cking shameful.

There were similarities with Harford in that they both had good reputations as coaches but couldn't cut it as managers. He was manager at Sheffield Wednesday a few years before us for a pretty disastrous 18 months whereby he nearly relegated them to the third division on taking over and completed the job the following season. Not surprisingly he's never managed anyone else.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 10:39]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

QPR's worst ever manager on 10:39 - Feb 18 with 1600 viewsenfieldargh

Impossible to name just one

Mullery Appalling. When I heard Peter Huckers stories it just cemented what I always felt.

Other notable mentions

Houston: Paulo Wanchope not our kind of player

Burtenshaw: Refused to play Glen Roeder even though he was one of our best ever defenders

Rednapp & Hughes squandered and smashed our dreams

Trevor Francis; Pillock

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

QPR's worst ever manager on 10:42 - Feb 18 with 1581 viewsBrianMcCarthy

QPR's worst ever manager on 10:28 - Feb 18 by CamberleyR

Another Mullery vote but Burtenshaw has got to be right up there. By a gnat's whisker a slightly worse win percentage than Harford (14 to 12%). That 78/79 season was (bar the obligatory win at Scumford Bridge we used to get then) fcking relentlessly grim. SIX wins all season from a team that still had in it's ranks; Parkes( for half a season), Clement, Gillard, Hollins, Gerry, Stan, from the best ever team plus Roeder and the emerging Goddard. To get that few wins from that team is f@cking shameful.

There were similarities with Harford in that they both had good reputations as coaches but couldn't cut it as managers. He was manager at Sheffield Wednesday a few years before us for a pretty disastrous 18 months whereby he nearly relegated them to the third division on taking over and completed the job the following season. Not surprisingly he's never managed anyone else.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 10:39]

Fair points.

QPR's worst ever manager on 10:46 - Feb 18 with 1574 viewsterryb

Forget, Harford, Hart, Sibley, Waddock etc. They may have had less ability than my winner but we gave this man two chances!

IMO, three names stand out an absolute mile to me & for Mullery to only come in third place shows what my views on the other two are! I also find it hard to believe that Harold only comes second, but my vote goes to a man far, far worse.

Step forward Thomas Docherty & explain how during one summer we moved from the best attack in Division 2 to the worst! And how you could play Karl Elsey!

My only problem is whether I hated him more in 1968 or after his second coming!
[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 10:57]
QPR's worst ever manager on 10:48 - Feb 18 with 1569 viewsWatfordR

Mullery. Now and forever till the end of time. Remember the 5-5 with Newcastle, 0-4 at half time and him bollocking the players and telling them they'd no chance. When he buggered of in a strop, the physio told the players "ignore him, you can still take this lot". Rest is history.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 10:49]
QPR's worst ever manager on 10:50 - Feb 18 with 1564 viewsdaveB

Another vote for Mullery
Login to get fewer ads

QPR's worst ever manager on 10:51 - Feb 18 with 1563 viewsDejR_vu

What a choice, Mullery or Hughes.

It's got to be Hughes because of the massive damage he inflicted. Everything that has happened since is because of the choices the club had to make to try and get out of the mess he left us in. One thing has led to another to the point where now, we are a club with Premier League parachute payments working on a shoestring, looking over our shoulder at League 1. Appointing him was a 'sliding-doors' moment.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

QPR's worst ever manager on 11:14 - Feb 18 with 1522 viewssexton

How about Frank Sibley? Mullery has been suggested as Jim Gregory's worst appointment but Sibley was surely worse.

Our brilliant early/mid 70s team was built by two fantastic managers - Gordon Jago and Dave Sexton - and this was the guy who followed them and set about dismantling it.

He signed Brian Williams (see the worst ever player thread) and he sold Dave Thomas to Everton because he thought our front three of Bowles, Givens and Thomas didn't work. Words fail.
QPR's worst ever manager on 11:33 - Feb 18 with 1501 viewsrsonist

QPR's worst ever manager on 10:51 - Feb 18 by DejR_vu

It's got to be Hughes because of the massive damage he inflicted. Everything that has happened since is because of the choices the club had to make to try and get out of the mess he left us in. One thing has led to another to the point where now, we are a club with Premier League parachute payments working on a shoestring, looking over our shoulder at League 1. Appointing him was a 'sliding-doors' moment.

Very much so. Blank canvas, total board support, huge resources.

Hated seeing people implicitly getting him off the hook by pointing out longstanding issues at the club... no manager in our history ever had as much rich opportunity and control over their/our destiny.
QPR's worst ever manager on 12:23 - Feb 18 with 1469 viewsNorthernr

Exactly this. A massive chance to build a whole club from scratch. Another manager could have built a real dynasty. Once in a lifetime chance missed lining Kia Joorabchian's pockets.
QPR's worst ever manager on 12:58 - Feb 18 with 1426 viewskensalriser

It's instructive to look back on some of these failures and see how many were self-inflicted.

Houston: we're trying to get promoted back to the PL in short order so appoint someone who's never managed before. What was the thinking? Repeated with Ramsey.

Burtenshaw: Terrible record, as detailed above by Camberley. Went on to be done for taking bungs related to the signing of John Jensen.

Sibley: Was a QPR man, yes. But we had one of the best teams in England at the time and he was completely inexperienced. Was he really the best we could get?

Hughes: On the face of it this wasn't a bad appointment as he had decent experience and had only really crashed at Man City - but his attitude during the interview process should have been a red flag, not to mention the proximity of Joorabchian.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 13:02]

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

QPR's worst ever manager on 13:12 - Feb 18 with 1397 viewsTacticalR

@kensalriser 'Houston: we're trying to get promoted back to the PL in short order so appoint someone who's never managed before. What was the thinking?'

The thinking was: 'if something comes from a big club it must be good', thinking that has nearly always led to disaster at QPR. (Houston had had a couple of spells as caretaker manager at Arsenal including managing 1995 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Final).

Air hostess clique

QPR's worst ever manager on 13:14 - Feb 18 with 1386 viewstimcocking

Tough call between Redknapp and Hughes. Neither could really have done worse.
QPR's worst ever manager on 13:15 - Feb 18 with 1380 viewsMrSheen

QPR's worst ever manager on 13:12 - Feb 18 by TacticalR

@kensalriser 'Houston: we're trying to get promoted back to the PL in short order so appoint someone who's never managed before. What was the thinking?'

The thinking was: 'if something comes from a big club it must be good', thinking that has nearly always led to disaster at QPR. (Houston had had a couple of spells as caretaker manager at Arsenal including managing 1995 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup Final).

Didn't Arsenal lose in 1995? Nayim, from the half way line. Won in 1994.

I would agree with everything said about Mullery, Houston and Hughes, but the one that provoked me into giving up my season ticket was Paulo Sousa. I appreciated he had to deal with Briatore, but the play on the field and the atmosphere in the stands had my son begging me not to take him. It's easy to lose the habit.
QPR's worst ever manager on 13:22 - Feb 18 with 1370 viewsrsonist

QPR's worst ever manager on 13:15 - Feb 18 by MrSheen

Didn't Arsenal lose in 1995? Nayim, from the half way line. Won in 1994.

I would agree with everything said about Mullery, Houston and Hughes, but the one that provoked me into giving up my season ticket was Paulo Sousa. I appreciated he had to deal with Briatore, but the play on the field and the atmosphere in the stands had my son begging me not to take him. It's easy to lose the habit.

Rumoured to be next in line for the Juventus job...
QPR's worst ever manager on 13:47 - Feb 18 with 1339 viewsloneranger1

Totally agree. Redknapp was awful but the tone was set by Hughes
QPR's worst ever manager on 14:08 - Feb 18 with 1326 viewsfrancisbowles

That Peter Hucker comment about Mullery has shocked me. Can't believe even we could appoint anyone quite so stupid.

Around about 1972 or 1973, a few of us took the afternoon off school and went to watch the 'stiffs' play Spurs in the old football combination. Mullery was playing for them and we gave him non stop abuse. So much that Phil Parkes, who was watching, had a disgusted look on his face in our direction.

Their are some mitigating circumstances for Hughes, he kept us up and he was a little unlucky with one or two of the results in that catastrophic run. Similarly for Redknapp, we did go up and we did have that 1-0 at the scum.

For Mullery, I can think off none. To win 6-2 against a team that looked rubbish, it could and should have been more, and then surrender a four goal lead in the away leg takes some doing. Maybe we were right to get our abuse in as schoolboys those ten odd years before.
QPR's worst ever manager on 14:34 - Feb 18 with 1291 viewsMonahoop

QPR's worst ever manager on 10:46 - Feb 18 by terryb

Forget, Harford, Hart, Sibley, Waddock etc. They may have had less ability than my winner but we gave this man two chances!

IMO, three names stand out an absolute mile to me & for Mullery to only come in third place shows what my views on the other two are! I also find it hard to believe that Harold only comes second, but my vote goes to a man far, far worse.

Step forward Thomas Docherty & explain how during one summer we moved from the best attack in Division 2 to the worst! And how you could play Karl Elsey!

My only problem is whether I hated him more in 1968 or after his second coming!
[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 10:57]

Docherty would be right up there with me. Made a meal of things in '68 and simply never took the club seriously or so it seemed to me at the time, on his second return. There was potential in the club at the time.The Doc couldn't see it. Scotland's answer to Redknapp that one and like the barrow boy, he was a media darling back in the day. Could do nothing wrong in their eyes so long as kept them laughing. That said Hart would have got my worst award had he stuck around longer than he did, but my overall choice above all and we have had bags of rotten apples, has to be Houston. He cloned that club on the basis of himself and his very grey personality, a bunch of lowdown dullards. If you were in need of a good kip for 90 minutes then Loftus Road was the place to be during his spell.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

QPR's worst ever manager on 16:48 - Feb 18 with 1237 viewsCamberleyR

In fairness to Docherty, that summer in 1979 he made some good signings; Currie, Hazell, Woods, Micklewhite, Wicks and also gave Waddock his chance, who all (Woods apart) became mainstays of the Venables team in the next few years. He wasn't helped having 40% of a 50 goal partnership sold to help finance the School End rebuilding but then didn't help himself by signing Tommy Langley to replace Goddard.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

QPR's worst ever manager on 19:37 - Feb 18 with 1201 viewsBeauRanger

Mullery...enough said
QPR's worst ever manager on 20:05 - Feb 18 with 1182 viewsjohncharles

Mullery by a mile the most incompetent clueless manager. Hughes was given money to build a whole new team and failed but he did try...........
Redknapp' is and out and out crook. Robbed the club blind. Mullery was stupid, Hart was pretty dumb, Hughes was egotiscal and given free rein with the check book but I think all these guys, and other flops, did actually think they could do a good job.
Redknapp slipped the club rohypnol and took seriousl advantage. A crook.

Strong and stable my arse.

QPR's worst ever manager on 20:19 - Feb 18 with 1169 viewszicoshoops

1.......Mullery, it's all been said.

2.......Docherty.
Jim Gregory called him into his office and said...
'I'm sorry Tommy, it's not working out.'
Docherty replied....
'You can't leave us now Jim, we need you.' (true story)
[Post edited 18 Feb 2017 20:20]
QPR's worst ever manager on 20:32 - Feb 18 with 1157 viewsthame_hoops

QPR's worst ever manager on 23:05 - Feb 17 by Northernr

Pound for pound it's Hughes. Destroying a great inheritance it's Mullery. Ability wise I still think you have to go a long way to find a worse football manager than Paul Hart.

In the 5 games hart was in charge, he had more points than Holloway got in his first 5 games of his 2nd stint...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024