Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Final play-off spot 17:23 - Feb 19 with 16152 viewsNorthernr

As I've been researching it for the preview may as well put the full lot on here. Here are the points accumulated and the games lost by the team finishing sixth in this league since 92/93.

-Highest it's been is 80, lowest is 68, average is 73.6.
- Most number of defeats is 16, least is 10. We've already lost 10.
- Only five times has the team from sixth won promotion, which rather ruins the idea that the team that crashes in with a late run of form often fairs best.
- QPR are currently tracking at 59 points for the season
- To get to the 74 point mark we'd need 38 points from our remaining 18 games, more than 2 a game.

19/20 - Swansea 70, 12
18/19 - Derby 74, 12
17/18 - Derby 75, 11
16/17 - Fulham 80, 10
15/16 - Sheff Wed 74, 10
14/15 - Ipswich 78, 12
13/14 - Brighton 72, 12
12/13 - Leicester 68, 16
11/12 - Cardiff 75, 9
10/11 - Forest 75, 11
09/10 - Blackpool 70, 14, Promoted
08/09 - Preston 74, 14
07/08 - Watford 70, 12
06/07 - Southampton 75, 13
05/06 - Palace 75, 12
04/05 - West Ham 73, 15 Promoted
03/04 - Palace 73, 15, Promoted
02/03 - Forest 74, 12
01/02 - Norwich 75, 15
00/01 - West Brom 74, 14
99/00 - Bolton 76, 12
98/99 - Bolton 76, 10
97/98 - Sheff Utd, 74, 10
96/97 - Palace, 71, 13, Promoted
95/96 -Leicester, 71, 13, Promoted
94/95 - Barnsley 72, 14 (play offs only to fifth that year, Barnsley finished 6th)
93/94 - Derby 71, 15
92/93 - Leicester, 76, 14

This post has been edited by an administrator
Final play-off spot on 15:20 - Feb 22 with 2079 viewsMaggsinho

Final play-off spot on 15:07 - Feb 22 by francisbowles

We are still in the same position that no team has reached the play offs with 39 points from 29 games in the last sixteen seasons (can't find the data for previous seasons). The nearest were 42 points, Cardiff 5th last season and Villa 5th and play off winners the season before. It's not exactly a realistic chance of the play offs but it's a shout. All we can do is try and keep gathering as many point as possible and see where it takes us. The encouraging things are that there are still a lot of games to play, the points gap could be small if did well in the games in hand and this is a season unlike any other.

If we were to win at Preston on Wednesday and Bournemouth lost to Cardiff - neither result beyond the realms of possibility at the moment - we'd be seven points off the play offs with two games in hand so you'd have to say it's something we'd need to start taking seriously.

Obviously it's equally possible we'll lose the next two games and be nervously looking over our shoulder again on Saturday night but it's nice to be looking up rather than down isn't it?
Final play-off spot on 15:37 - Feb 22 with 1993 viewsWestbourneR

Final play-off spot on 14:18 - Feb 22 by ManinBlack

I believe fitness is the key because if we lost Austin for 6 games through injury then scoring goals becomes more difficult so it is difficult to say whether we can keep this momentum going as nobody knows what will happen with fitness.

I still believe that we are not as good as Fulham or West Brom last season and look where they are now. If that makes me arrogant for daring to suggest we are not ready for promotion so be it. We may get much needed money but I don't want us to be battered and come down like the two recent experiences. That is how I feel as I want us to grow each year to have a team that can compete at the higher level.

I do agree that we need something to strive for as I don't want to see us get to 50-53 points and down tools and go through the motions in the last 8 fixtures which has happened a fair bit in the past preventing us at least reaching 70 points.

Lovely idea but with our budget the likelyhood that the 'building year on year' plan will most likely see us stand still in the league and balance the books. Everytime a player reaches promotion quality level, we sell, take the money, and take a step back or stand still.

For a club with finances like ours the best thing would be to sneak up one year, spend next to zilch on players, get relegated and keep the money - then build a sustainable squad for promotion.

I'm thinking Burnley, Norwich and West Brom style.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

Final play-off spot on 15:40 - Feb 22 with 1986 viewskensalriser

Final play-off spot on 11:53 - Feb 22 by W7Ranger

Probably because it felt like a grinding slog of a season that started off pretty strong and tailed off in the 2nd half of the season, culminating in eventually limping over the play off line.

For 2014, our goal stats were For 60 Against 44. GD +16

For 2011, our goal stats were For 71 Against 32. GD +39

So I think those are quite telling stats about how vastly different those seasons were. Not to mention how expensive the Redknapp squad was in comparison to the Warnock squad.

With the Warnock squad no one expected us to be pushing for promotion (let alone Champions!) at the start of the season. But we smashed it, and in style too! With the Redknapp squad, it was more expected, and we made bloody hard work of it, and it wasn't very pretty to watch at times. However, 2 great things came out of that season... THAT play off final! And Charlie Austin.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 11:59]

Two wins and two draws is 8 points - that is a vast difference.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Final play-off spot on 15:49 - Feb 22 with 1972 viewsdaveB

If we do make the playoffs we'll be able to go, fans back in from 12th May
[Post edited 22 Feb 2021 15:56]
Final play-off spot on 16:14 - Feb 22 with 1925 viewsPinnerPaul

Final play-off spot on 15:49 - Feb 22 by daveB

Not so fast Dave - limit is 10,000 PER EVENT!
Final play-off spot on 16:41 - Feb 22 with 1867 viewsdaveB

Final play-off spot on 16:14 - Feb 22 by PinnerPaul

Not so fast Dave - limit is 10,000 PER EVENT!

better than none although I doubt any fans will be going before next season.

Does feel like we'll all be able to go to the first game of next season, what a bloody glorious day that will be
Final play-off spot on 16:48 - Feb 22 with 1834 viewsstevec

Final play-off spot on 15:49 - Feb 22 by daveB

Boris is a Ranger.
Final play-off spot on 18:31 - Feb 22 with 1737 viewsthemodfather

it is so great to even mention play offs against the dreaded R word, the turn around and HOPE has been amazing in just a short time. 50 pts first for me, then we see. but the hope gets you, a late unbeaten run, wemberleeeee in the sun ( or thunder storms, hail and rain like last time) and close on 45,000 r's fans there, wallop.
Login to get fewer ads

Final play-off spot on 19:07 - Feb 22 with 1662 viewsdaveB

Final play-off spot on 18:31 - Feb 22 by themodfather

it is so great to even mention play offs against the dreaded R word, the turn around and HOPE has been amazing in just a short time. 50 pts first for me, then we see. but the hope gets you, a late unbeaten run, wemberleeeee in the sun ( or thunder storms, hail and rain like last time) and close on 45,000 r's fans there, wallop.

it would only be 5,000 fans of each club at the final
Final play-off spot on 21:43 - Feb 22 with 1516 viewsgobbles

Final play-off spot on 19:07 - Feb 22 by daveB

it would only be 5,000 fans of each club at the final

Yeah, but it will sound like 6,000
Final play-off spot on 21:52 - Feb 22 with 1502 viewsGloryHunter

17th May for crowds, I'm reading now. What are the dates for the play-off semis & Final?
Final play-off spot on 23:29 - Feb 22 with 1400 viewsacricketer

The 16th
Final play-off spot on 07:27 - Feb 23 with 1296 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Final play-off spot on 21:52 - Feb 22 by GloryHunter

17th May for crowds, I'm reading now. What are the dates for the play-off semis & Final?

The season will culminate in the Sky Bet Play-Off Finals taking place at Wembley Stadium over the Spring Bank Holiday weekend 29-31 May 2021.
Final play-off spot on 07:30 - Feb 23 with 1295 viewsnix

Final play-off spot on 15:37 - Feb 22 by WestbourneR

Lovely idea but with our budget the likelyhood that the 'building year on year' plan will most likely see us stand still in the league and balance the books. Everytime a player reaches promotion quality level, we sell, take the money, and take a step back or stand still.

For a club with finances like ours the best thing would be to sneak up one year, spend next to zilch on players, get relegated and keep the money - then build a sustainable squad for promotion.

Sometimes I genuinely wonder if I'd really want to be one of those bottom tier Premiership clubs though. Having seen Palace a few times recently to cheer on Eze, the football is absolutely dire. Most of the time he's in a rigid 442 formation basically spending the entire match closing the other team down or preparing to win the ball back if the forward two lose it. It's absolutely dire and I wonder if he can bear playing like that. Apart from the odd spark of the old player, he looks a shadow of last season's Eze.

I know we had a bad run this season but at least when we start playing better we can play with a bit of freedom and not have to grind every match out.

I'd still like to reach the play offs and have our day out. I'm not sure if I'd want to win again though.
Final play-off spot on 08:32 - Feb 23 with 1261 viewsstevec

Final play-off spot on 15:37 - Feb 22 by WestbourneR

Agree totally. The most frustrating thing for me regards the 3 seasons we were up there is we came back with nothing to show for it.

We’re still in the ground that Jim built, it looks identical apart from the Directors box to the ground I was watching games in 1985. This is not acceptable.

I’d be perfectly happy, if we ever got promoted again, if the club said we’re going to give it a shot with largely the squad we’re going up with, the aim that we either come back down with £50 mill in the bank as a down payment towards a new stadium or if by some miracle we stay up, we then maybe take strides to stay there, whereby we’d be in a much better all round state.

As things stand, the owners are still having to find around £13 mill a year just to stem the losses and we get to watch six years of bottom half of the Championship football.
Final play-off spot on 08:49 - Feb 23 with 1243 viewsDorse

Final play-off spot on 08:32 - Feb 23 by stevec

Agree totally. The most frustrating thing for me regards the 3 seasons we were up there is we came back with nothing to show for it.

We’re still in the ground that Jim built, it looks identical apart from the Directors box to the ground I was watching games in 1985. This is not acceptable.

I’d be perfectly happy, if we ever got promoted again, if the club said we’re going to give it a shot with largely the squad we’re going up with, the aim that we either come back down with £50 mill in the bank as a down payment towards a new stadium or if by some miracle we stay up, we then maybe take strides to stay there, whereby we’d be in a much better all round state.

As things stand, the owners are still having to find around £13 mill a year just to stem the losses and we get to watch six years of bottom half of the Championship football.

To be fair, that's more or less what West Brom's directors said when they were first promoted to the Prem. They were completely open about it and nobody seemed to mind much. When they came down they went straight back up with a settled, more experienced squad and then stuck around pretty much ever since. I don't necessariy think that we would do anything similar, it just serves as an example that it can be achieved.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Final play-off spot on 09:12 - Feb 23 with 1201 viewshantssi

Final play-off spot on 08:32 - Feb 23 by stevec

Steve, I’d be perfectly happy with that as I suspect would most on here, but can you imagine Twitter if that happened?
Would the board put up with it and stick to their guns?
Who knows and I doubt very much we’ll know this/next season!
Final play-off spot on 09:29 - Feb 23 with 1178 viewstoboboly

Final play-off spot on 09:12 - Feb 23 by hantssi

Steve, I’d be perfectly happy with that as I suspect would most on here, but can you imagine Twitter if that happened?
Would the board put up with it and stick to their guns?
Who knows and I doubt very much we’ll know this/next season!

It works though, proven at a number of clubs.

If the board said that was what they were going to do then buckled because of Tw@tter then they shouldn't be the board.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Final play-off spot on 14:41 - Mar 12 with 957 viewstoboboly

Now we are in the top half of the table this should really become a sticky....

Final play-off spot on 14:46 - Mar 12 with 931 viewskensalriser

Someone must have an example of a club making the playoffs from our current position, if not actually getting promoted. Anyone?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Final play-off spot on 14:49 - Mar 12 with 919 viewsLongsufferingR

I reckon we could only afford to lose another 5-6 points to make the PO. Nice thought but a bit optimistic!
Final play-off spot on 14:52 - Mar 12 with 909 viewstoboboly

Final play-off spot on 14:49 - Mar 12 by LongsufferingR

I reckon we could only afford to lose another 5-6 points to make the PO. Nice thought but a bit optimistic!

Booooooo

Final play-off spot on 14:56 - Mar 12 with 900 viewsCamberleyR

Final play-off spot on 14:46 - Mar 12 by kensalriser

Someone must have an example of a club making the playoffs from our current position, if not actually getting promoted. Anyone?

Only one that springs to mind is Palace under Dowie in 2003/04 who on this actual day after 36 games were 12th on 51 points five points from the last play off place. They finished sixth and won the play off final against West Ham.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Final play-off spot on 15:07 - Mar 12 with 875 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Final play-off spot on 14:46 - Mar 12 by kensalriser

Yes, the 'bouncebackability' Season from Palace
[Post edited 12 Mar 2021 15:09]
Final play-off spot on 10:02 - Mar 13 with 736 viewsfrancisbowles

Final play-off spot on 14:56 - Mar 12 by CamberleyR

Only one that springs to mind is Palace under Dowie in 2003/04 who on this actual day after 36 games were 12th on 51 points five points from the last play off place. They finished sixth and won the play off final against West Ham.

In 2018/19 Villa were 13th with 45 points after 34 games. They were 11 points behind 6th.

This season we are 12th with 42 points, 12 points behind 6th BUT with a game in hand.

Villa finished 5th on 76 points, 3 points clear of 7th and went on to win the play offs.

With the way the fixtures are all crammed in this season, we would need a lot of luck with injuries and suspensions as well as grinding out win after win, to have any chance of replicating that sort of run.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024