Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, 12:21 - Jul 29 with 8187 viewsbollockchops

its my eldest brother and he is watching it as well as Rangers play Liverpool,Eastoe scores up the Kop end but then it all goes belly up with Keegan (who looked off side ) scoring and Rangers losing 3-1 but as the goals went in it seemed to me that Parkes was having a mare ! Which then led the conversation towards who was Rangers best keeper and who was the worst !
We both agreed that in the worst catorgory first place went to Tony Roberts although my brother mentioned someone called Richardson who was bad !
And the best was a mixed bag as i liked Ludo just because of that song,he mentioned Jan Steskal , Budgie and Kelly but we couldnt decide so over to you !
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 22:36 - Jul 29 with 1583 viewslightwaterhoop

The problem Tony Roberts had was he did make the odd howler i remember one at home to Everton but he was a much better keeper than he was given credit for and far from our worse as some people suggested, Joe Lumley i'm afraid gets that spot.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2021 23:23]
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 22:51 - Jul 29 with 1563 viewstexasranger

Too true, over the years we have had many superb keepers and one of the best imho was Reg Allen but I may be the only supporter left who remembers him. Absolutely fearless. His black and white postcard picture (purchased from the supporters' club shop on the terrace) graced my bedroom wall as a kid, along with a good few few others. Happy memories!
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 22:57 - Jul 29 with 1551 viewsCiderwithRsie

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 22:26 - Jul 29 by Hastings_Hoops

I’m always amazed at how harsh people are about Roberts… ok, he was certainly not in our top notch list of keepers, but he did have an ability to pull off the odd remarkable save. I still remember the triple save against Swindon in the FA Cup (1992ish) and let’s not forget that he and Stejskal shared game-time 50/50 for much of that halcyon period.

…to bring Chris Day into the mix (notwithstanding that I loved him in the context of our league status) is a little wide of the mark.

The thing about Roberts wasn't that he was terrible so much as he was so much worse than most of the rest of the team. Ferdinand, Wilkins, Wilson, Bardsley, McDonald, Maddix, Sinton/Sinclair....and Roberts.

Plus the failure of the owners to address that at a time when about £500k would get you a decent keeper. And it went on for bloody years. Imagine if we had the Lumley situation and instead of saying "sorry, time for a change" we'd just carried on with him season after season; people started to Balme Roberts for being cr*p but really it was the club's fault.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 23:07 - Jul 29 with 1525 viewsDWQPR

We’ve had great keepers over the years, average keepers and dross. Bankole on his one appearance against Tranmere was the real eye opener and certainly if ever there was a player who looked like he had won a raffle to play any position in a professional game of football that was the one. Royce and Jones were average at best, Parkes, Seaman, Styskel, were top class, Hucker wasn’t far behind and neither was Burridge. In fact for me Burridge made the greatest save I’ve seen by a Rangers keeper away at Charlton. Sommer was pretty poor for me certainly worse than Lumley, who I didn’t mind. Yes he did make some howlers but was also learning to be a sweeper keeper. Kelly, I didn’t like. Smithies has to be the best we have had in the last 20 years however I really do believe that Seny is destined to be in the same group as those legends I mentioned earlier.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 23:07 - Jul 29 with 1526 viewsHastings_Hoops

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 22:57 - Jul 29 by CiderwithRsie

The thing about Roberts wasn't that he was terrible so much as he was so much worse than most of the rest of the team. Ferdinand, Wilkins, Wilson, Bardsley, McDonald, Maddix, Sinton/Sinclair....and Roberts.

Plus the failure of the owners to address that at a time when about £500k would get you a decent keeper. And it went on for bloody years. Imagine if we had the Lumley situation and instead of saying "sorry, time for a change" we'd just carried on with him season after season; people started to Balme Roberts for being cr*p but really it was the club's fault.

In previous posts on this thread, Roberts has been identified as ‘the worse’ which is Bizarre.

I would also suggest that attempts were made to better him by signing:
Sieb Dykstra (failed)
Jurgen Sommer (failed)
jan Stejskal (50/50 game time)

…I have no affinity to him, but it’s just a bit odd and context seems to be lost here.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 23:53 - Jul 29 with 1499 viewsCiderwithRsie

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 23:07 - Jul 29 by Hastings_Hoops

In previous posts on this thread, Roberts has been identified as ‘the worse’ which is Bizarre.

Sieb Dykstra (failed)
Jurgen Sommer (failed)

…I have no affinity to him, but it’s just a bit odd and context seems to be lost here.

Don't think you can call Stejskal an attempt to replace Roberts - Stejskal was signed as Seaman's replacement and IIRC Roberts had not played for us at that point.

You're right though that Stejskal was often kept out of the side by Roberts and while I could never see it myself it shows Roberts wasn't the absolute disaster he's been cited as here. Of course when Jan left Roberts took over full time in a side which regularly finished top half of the top flight which again doesn't fit the narrative that he was our worst ever keeper

I will give you Sommer as an attempt to replace Roberts but (a) years too late, by then Gerry had already moved on along with Willow and Les (b) he was Luton's 2nd reserve keeper FFS, it was pathetic as an effort to sign a keeper in the tradition of Seaman and Stejskal (both full internationals with serious football nations in their time with us) and compared to the quality of outfield players at the club. Dykstra was also too late and never a 1st choice keeper.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 00:18 - Jul 30 with 1489 viewsCamberleyR

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 23:07 - Jul 29 by Hastings_Hoops

Sieb Dykstra (failed)
Jurgen Sommer (failed)

We could have quite easily bettered him in 1994/95 by offering Millwall £750k for Kasey Keller which was very achievable with them being in the division below. Leicester's gain was our loss soon after.

Jan Stejskal was a massive upgrade on him and for his first couple of seasons was excellent. Gerry Francis seemed to massively take against him after an admittedly terrible performance at home against Palace at Christmas 1992 and he never really got much of a look in for the remaining time he was with us.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 00:26 - Jul 30 with 1479 viewsCamberleyR

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 23:53 - Jul 29 by CiderwithRsie

Don't think you can call Stejskal an attempt to replace Roberts - Stejskal was signed as Seaman's replacement and IIRC Roberts had not played for us at that point.

You're right though that Stejskal was often kept out of the side by Roberts and while I could never see it myself it shows Roberts wasn't the absolute disaster he's been cited as here. Of course when Jan left Roberts took over full time in a side which regularly finished top half of the top flight which again doesn't fit the narrative that he was our worst ever keeper

I will give you Sommer as an attempt to replace Roberts but (a) years too late, by then Gerry had already moved on along with Willow and Les (b) he was Luton's 2nd reserve keeper FFS, it was pathetic as an effort to sign a keeper in the tradition of Seaman and Stejskal (both full internationals with serious football nations in their time with us) and compared to the quality of outfield players at the club. Dykstra was also too late and never a 1st choice keeper.

I wager we would have finished higher than 5th in 1992/93 had we not had Roberts in goal for two thirds of the matches.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 01:21 - Jul 30 with 1452 viewsPBLOCK

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 23:07 - Jul 29 by DWQPR

We’ve had great keepers over the years, average keepers and dross. Bankole on his one appearance against Tranmere was the real eye opener and certainly if ever there was a player who looked like he had won a raffle to play any position in a professional game of football that was the one. Royce and Jones were average at best, Parkes, Seaman, Styskel, were top class, Hucker wasn’t far behind and neither was Burridge. In fact for me Burridge made the greatest save I’ve seen by a Rangers keeper away at Charlton. Sommer was pretty poor for me certainly worse than Lumley, who I didn’t mind. Yes he did make some howlers but was also learning to be a sweeper keeper. Kelly, I didn’t like. Smithies has to be the best we have had in the last 20 years however I really do believe that Seny is destined to be in the same group as those legends I mentioned earlier.

I’ll be honest I didn’t mind Royce or Jones for that matter they were adequate at the level we were at and I thought they were ok can’t think of too many howlers they made

Would have had Kenny over Smithies but Smithies was excellent for us
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 07:31 - Jul 30 with 1373 viewsstevec

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 23:07 - Jul 29 by DWQPR

Burridge save at Charlton was unbelievable. Agree, finest save I’ve ever seen.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:06 - Jul 30 with 1340 viewsTheChef

Glad that Smithies finally got a mention!

Honorable mention also to Simon Royce who I thought was very decent albeit in a fairly average team at the time.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:07 - Jul 30 with 1338 views80s_Boy

I love how Bankole has become QPR's Ali Dia!
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:25 - Jul 30 with 1322 viewsSuperhoop83

I'm going to stick up for Tony Roberts too. I watched most of our home games when he played for us and I don't remember him giving me kittens the way some players do. I never thought he was very good but I can't remember too many howlers, although he let one in at Ipswich in 1993 which simply beggared belief.

I won't argue about the best keepers we've had but I would rate Hucker about the same as Seaman, but possibly just below Parkes.

And an honourable mention to Cerny as I don't think he's been mentioned and he generally played well during a rocky period for the club.

Suffering since 1978.

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:28 - Jul 30 with 1317 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Too young to remember Parkes, so in my time I'd vote for

1) Seaman
2) Stejskal
3) Smithies
4) Kenny
5) Dieng, who has the potential to be as good as any of them.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:37 - Jul 30 with 1300 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:06 - Jul 30 by TheChef

Glad that Smithies finally got a mention!

Honorable mention also to Simon Royce who I thought was very decent albeit in a fairly average team at the time.

As I read through this thread I was thinking the same thing. When Smithies replaced Green there was a greater sense of safety between the sticks and reduction in the potential for calamity. That said: thought Green played really well at Wembley.

Parkes was/is the yardstick by which all our keepers would be measured against. Seamen for me always had one in him and I was never convinced by his command of the box or, positioning at set pieces (Barnes’ goal in the QF and Spunky flapping at Ronaldinho’s effort in 2002). But when focused he was solid.

What little I’ve seen of Dieng, he looks bloody good. Honourable mentions for Hucker, Day and Kenny.

Richardson and Roberts were liabilities, shame Lumley wilted as opposed to bloomed.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:45 - Jul 30 with 1294 viewsQPROslo

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 18:28 - Jul 29 by 80s_Boy

You never see anyone suggesting Chris Woods in these types of threads or conversations.

Widely accepted as one of the better keepers in the 80s/90s he's seldom mentioned by our fans.

I never saw him play for us so can't comment, but what's the general consensus among those who did?

Woods was excellent when I saw him.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:46 - Jul 30 with 1290 viewsW7Ranger

Kenny for me was the best keeper we've had in the last 20 years.

2 brilliant seasons. the first to get us up with a phenomenal amount of clean cheets and ridiculous saves. The second to help keep us in the Prem. Really poorly treated by Hughes/the club.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:49 - Jul 30 with 1281 views80s_Boy

Was there ever any speculation about Hucker going to a 'bigger' team?

He was just 22 when he played in the FA Cup final and by the time he was still only 27 - when he left us for Oxford - he had played in the top flight for 3 seasons.

Alex Fergusson twice brought him to Man Utd as cover so he was clearly respected within the game....
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:53 - Jul 30 with 1273 viewsDWQPR

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:45 - Jul 30 by QPROslo

Woods was excellent when I saw him.

Woods was a great signing or so we all thought especially given that we got him after making a name for himself at the age of 19 playing for Forest in the League Cup Final. They were also European champions at the time we signed him and he was understudy to Peter Shilton at the time. Bought to replace Richardson at the start of the 79/80 season for £250,000. To me he wasn’t great for Rangers but I suppose with hindsight given his age we probably got him too early. When Venables came in the following season he soon replaced him with Burridge. Woods was sold and blossomed into a decent England keeper. Which begs the question how many England keepers have played for Rangers? I believe Reg Allen did after leaving, Peter Springett, Parkesy, Woods and Seaman I can think of.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:56 - Jul 30 with 1269 viewsQPROslo

Was this a very foggy Saturday afternoon in the 76/77 season? Game must have been close to being called off. It was frequently hard to see the other sides of the ground, possibly why I didn't see another QPR supporter. But I could always just about see the whole pitch, and as you say we did well untill the last 15 or so.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:57 - Jul 30 with 1262 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:53 - Jul 30 by DWQPR

Woods was a great signing or so we all thought especially given that we got him after making a name for himself at the age of 19 playing for Forest in the League Cup Final. They were also European champions at the time we signed him and he was understudy to Peter Shilton at the time. Bought to replace Richardson at the start of the 79/80 season for £250,000. To me he wasn’t great for Rangers but I suppose with hindsight given his age we probably got him too early. When Venables came in the following season he soon replaced him with Burridge. Woods was sold and blossomed into a decent England keeper. Which begs the question how many England keepers have played for Rangers? I believe Reg Allen did after leaving, Peter Springett, Parkesy, Woods and Seaman I can think of.

+ Rob Green.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 10:13 - Jul 30 with 1246 viewsHamptonR

Julio Cesar was the best goalkeeper I have ever seen in a QPR team, he was amazing but it was for a very short time and an unhappy time, with hindsight.
Parkes could be incredible as was Seamen and Steskal was another who gave the team confidence.

Roberts had talent but he seemed to have a big hole in his midriff and an even bigger one between his legs.
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 10:37 - Jul 30 with 1218 viewsEsox_Lucius

Paul Barron for me after what happened with Gary Cooper. Absolute shithouse thing to do to a young player.

The grass is always greener.

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 10:46 - Jul 30 with 1204 views80s_Boy

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 10:37 - Jul 30 by Esox_Lucius

Paul Barron for me after what happened with Gary Cooper. Absolute shithouse thing to do to a young player.

What happened?
Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 11:40 - Jul 30 with 1150 viewscollegeranger

Whilst watching The Big Match Revisited yesterday,the phone rings, on 09:07 - Jul 30 by 80s_Boy

I love how Bankole has become QPR's Ali Dia!

I remember his only game. We all looked at each other and thought Jeremy Beadle has going to take a mask off!

Remarkably we loaned him to Bradford City who were in the Prem at the time!

I looked his stats and he played for 11 clubs in 12 years and only played 103 game in those years and of the 10 clubs he played lass than 10 games.

Shockingly bad ... but comical at the same time! There's hope for us all yet!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024