Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you ever had the pleasure.... 18:01 - Dec 25 with 3975 viewsqpr_1968

of watching these 4 prolific goalscorers and had to pick one......
who would it be.
maybe an unfair question, but perhaps a debatable one.

kevin gallen
clive allen
les ferdinand
don givens.

christ knows how many goals they scored between them for qpr, but in my opinion....

in order....

don givens would be the one.
couldnt split between les and clive..
and then kevin gallen.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 19:08 - Dec 25 with 3090 viewsQPRSteve

If not for that injury it would be Kevin for me. I'd pick Sir Les. He was a joy to watch.
[Post edited 25 Dec 2022 19:08]
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 19:38 - Dec 25 with 3043 viewsE15Hoop

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 19:08 - Dec 25 by QPRSteve

If not for that injury it would be Kevin for me. I'd pick Sir Les. He was a joy to watch.
[Post edited 25 Dec 2022 19:08]

I think, as is usually the case, this gets coloured by which generation you belong to. If your first taste of watching the R's was that '76 team, like mine was, then you'd definitely say Don Givens.
Having said that, if you watch the quality of Clive Allen's strikes, its hard to argue against him, and of course you can't rule out how important Sir Les was to us in the success that the class of '92-93.
Luckily, we don't have to choose - just select all of them on YouTube and sit back, relax and enjoy some happy memories..
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 20:29 - Dec 25 with 2958 viewsqpr_1968

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 19:38 - Dec 25 by E15Hoop

I think, as is usually the case, this gets coloured by which generation you belong to. If your first taste of watching the R's was that '76 team, like mine was, then you'd definitely say Don Givens.
Having said that, if you watch the quality of Clive Allen's strikes, its hard to argue against him, and of course you can't rule out how important Sir Les was to us in the success that the class of '92-93.
Luckily, we don't have to choose - just select all of them on YouTube and sit back, relax and enjoy some happy memories..

good response e15, and your right , its always 1976 that takes over.

it seems you can't divide les and clive either.

but what 4 great strikers we had the privilege of watching.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 20:41 - Dec 25 with 2936 viewsE15Hoop

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 20:29 - Dec 25 by qpr_1968

good response e15, and your right , its always 1976 that takes over.

it seems you can't divide les and clive either.

but what 4 great strikers we had the privilege of watching.

You just got me thinking about how little Givens gets mentioned when we talk about that team, but if you watch the matches, he's always in the right place at the right time to score, cross or otherwise assist.
23 goals in 46 games in the 72-73 promotion-winning side tells its own story. I think if I'm not mistaken he's still 4th in the list of leading scoreres for the Republic of Ireland as well.
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 21:43 - Dec 25 with 2843 viewssilverbirch

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 20:41 - Dec 25 by E15Hoop

You just got me thinking about how little Givens gets mentioned when we talk about that team, but if you watch the matches, he's always in the right place at the right time to score, cross or otherwise assist.
23 goals in 46 games in the 72-73 promotion-winning side tells its own story. I think if I'm not mistaken he's still 4th in the list of leading scoreres for the Republic of Ireland as well.

Les for me. A threat wherever he got the ball. Faster, more powerful and better in the air than the others, and almost as accurate and skillfull as Allen.
( Never saw Givens, tho)
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 21:53 - Dec 25 with 2821 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Clive Allen - great goal scorer and often scored great goals. Just needed a little more pace.

SLF - had the pace and power, unplayable on his day.

Don Givens - a little before my time, but a great player

Kevin Galen - but for that injury, who knows. Good player for us, not in the same league as the three above.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 22:30 - Dec 25 with 2724 viewsQPRSteve

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 19:38 - Dec 25 by E15Hoop

I was around to see Bowles, Marsh and can even remember Brian Bedford!
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 00:24 - Dec 26 with 2572 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

If Sir Les wasn't playing we knew it was going to be a difficult afternoon. Pace, strength and deadly in the air and on the ground. We all know what happened when he left.
Login to get fewer ads

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 01:21 - Dec 26 with 2542 viewsconnell10

Les for me he was formidable...truly.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 04:18 - Dec 26 with 2494 viewsSydneyRs

Not old enough to have seen Givens.

Ferdinand really did have it all as a striker, pace, power, great in the air. Absolutely unplayable on his day. Clive Allen was very prolific but more of a poacher, superb finisher.

Gallen is a case of what might have been. The injury at Portsmouth really curtailed what would have been a great career at the top level. The player he reminded me most of pre injury was Mark Hughes who, despite being a figure of hate here due to his managerial spell, was one hell of a forward in his playing days.

Ferdinand for me, he was the difference between us being quite good and us being relegation fodder for some time, as his departure proved.
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 06:58 - Dec 26 with 2445 viewsHAYESBOY

Sir Les for me. Just physically better and a better finisher than given credit for.

Gallen's injury set him back.

Clive Allen was my first QPR hero.

Unfortunately Givens before my time.

Smells like a trout farm in here

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 09:18 - Dec 26 with 2328 viewsAshteadR

I’d say Clive Allen was the best finisher.

I don’t remember Givens scoring as many goals but it’s a long time ago. I do remember he was integral to the team, but even in those days there were a few boo boys.

Les was class. Could pretty much do anything. Equivalent of our Haarland from back in the day.

Kev slightly behind the others.
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 09:32 - Dec 26 with 2306 viewsdistortR

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 00:24 - Dec 26 by Wilkinswatercarrier

If Sir Les wasn't playing we knew it was going to be a difficult afternoon. Pace, strength and deadly in the air and on the ground. We all know what happened when he left.

nah, he held us back.
Only 2 games I remember him missing, and we beat ManU and Spuds 4-1......

Didn't really see Givens much, so between Allen and Les for me, the former more clinical, the latter better all round game. Now, if we could take a bit from both, ferment in a test tube and then bring it to life, we'd have the greatest ever!
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 09:52 - Dec 26 with 2259 viewsQPRSteve

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 09:32 - Dec 26 by distortR

nah, he held us back.
Only 2 games I remember him missing, and we beat ManU and Spuds 4-1......

Didn't really see Givens much, so between Allen and Les for me, the former more clinical, the latter better all round game. Now, if we could take a bit from both, ferment in a test tube and then bring it to life, we'd have the greatest ever!

Plus a splash of Rodney and Stan.
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 09:55 - Dec 26 with 2252 viewsLondon_Pride

Don Givens the most under-rated

Clive Allen the best finisher

Kevin Gallen the most potential (ruined by injuries)

Les Ferdinand the best all round - strength, speed, heading ability
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 10:10 - Dec 26 with 2233 viewsterryb

I'm another in the Don Givens camp. almost certainly down to my age & that I saw him play more than the others.

I was a very infrequent watcher between 1982 & 2002. That's what having children can do to do, but it still hurt badly when we lost!

Clive Allen was around before I went into my absence, but I probably didn't realise how good he was as I was a big fan of Paul Goddard.

This is very much a personal view, but I would place Paul Furlong above Kevin Gallen from the early 2000's. I doubt that would have been the case without Kevin's injury at Portsmouth as he had the potential to be the best.
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 11:03 - Dec 26 with 2131 viewspaulparker

Love all the players mentioned but cmon it’s got to be Clive Allen, what a striker!!!!
The problem with today is no one is rated because they didn’t have pace, if you offered Mpape (sp) or Clive Allen then it would be Clive all day long , he knew where the net was and that’s what strikers should be judged on , we were lucky to have him in his youth , we saw the best of him imo

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 11:41 - Dec 26 with 2104 viewshantssi

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 09:55 - Dec 26 by London_Pride

Don Givens the most under-rated

Clive Allen the best finisher

Kevin Gallen the most potential (ruined by injuries)

Les Ferdinand the best all round - strength, speed, heading ability

Plus 1.
Had the pleasure of watching all 4!
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 12:02 - Dec 26 with 2088 viewsRs_Holy

Clive Allen ... made scoring goals look so easy
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 13:47 - Dec 26 with 1993 viewsQPR_Jim

Only got to see Les and Kevin due to my age, think Les was the best but think I preferred watching the Gallen team with Furlong, Bircham, Cook and Ainsworth. Great time to be a fan.

Only thing I've seen of Clive Allen was his goal against West Ham (1984 if Google is correct) with the double drag back. Based on that alone it's clear that he was special.

As for Don Givens I thought that was Brian.
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 14:59 - Dec 26 with 1921 viewsManinBlack

Was Gary Bannister unworthy then?
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 15:36 - Dec 26 with 1892 viewsJuzzie

Givens before my time but saw the other three and for me it would be Les all day long.
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 15:49 - Dec 26 with 1865 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Givens the most entertaining. Used to make chances for fun. Missed loads of them but nevertheless very effective.

Ferdinand
Givens
Allen
Gallen

in that order.
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 16:00 - Dec 26 with 1847 viewscharmr

Witnessed all 4

Clive Allen for me even though he got me thrown out at WHL when he scored against us and wasn’t shy in letting the away support know.

A natural finisher like Rush, scored and made goals from nothing. So many times got us out of trouble when the team weren’t playing well or were up against it, somehow he would always find a way. If he had played in the replay, different game.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2022 16:16]
If you ever had the pleasure.... on 16:41 - Dec 26 with 1775 viewsBoston

If you ever had the pleasure.... on 16:00 - Dec 26 by charmr

Witnessed all 4

Clive Allen for me even though he got me thrown out at WHL when he scored against us and wasn’t shy in letting the away support know.

A natural finisher like Rush, scored and made goals from nothing. So many times got us out of trouble when the team weren’t playing well or were up against it, somehow he would always find a way. If he had played in the replay, different game.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2022 16:16]

Saw all four and, saw you getting put out.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024