Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DoF 19:57 - Jan 7 with 15099 viewsRuislipHoop

Les F and Chris R have been in charge of Football at this club since 2015,recruitment,technical and all playing matters with not a sign of success at any level,at wot point do the owners think “ maybe this isnt working ?”
DoF on 16:28 - Jan 8 with 2080 views1JD

People are no doubt angry, but at the same time, I think there are a number of valid points made on this thread regarding the current set-up.

One interesting observation is that the club has repeatedly hired people into roles in which they have no prior experience. From the DOF role, to Head of Recruitment, to Academy Coaches.

We saw what happened with the owners when they themselves were new to the role.

It goes without saying that inexperienced hires do not have prior experience, learning, or knowledge to draw upon and are therefore disadvantaged compared to more experienced peers. Mistakes inevitably get made, and progress is slowed.

There is also no guarantee that a novice hire with potential, ever truly masters the art and delivers high performance, despite learnings. Much the same way a development player may not reach the heights once hoped for.
DoF on 16:32 - Jan 8 with 2042 viewsPunteR

DoF on 14:24 - Jan 8 by paulhoop2

I stand by the comment to an extent as it’s always them
Getting the stick - Andy belk escapes most criticism I just wondered why that is? Sir Les and CR are doing a good job on the whole. New Training Ground - tick , Stability in academy - tick , advising owners on football matters - tick.

The real question I would ask is this…. Who else would
You want in those roles that that are crucial these days in football? Who else out there would be willing to write the millions needed to just break even? Who else would touch the club financially ? Finally where else would the club afford to move too? Obviously would sell LR for millions but where is the land for This ? Ground share with Fulham would potentially work but most fans would not accept this. If I offended people on here I apologies that wasn’t my intention but I do believe a valid point to raise.

But thats the point isnt it?. Are LF and CR doing a good job?
Maybe they are if you think mid table is good enough for us but if you want /expect more from the club then maybe they aren't fulfilling the standard needed. ?

As regards the race thing, Its just opening up a can of worms that really isnt relevant to our situation, as others have pointed out. You start throwing race or colour into the argument then things start detracting away from the actual issues within the club (imo). Theres been plenty of vitriol towards the white contingent of the staff., Hoos for example, Dykes.. Its just a pretty grim thing to accuse the fan base of. There will be of course a very small minority where its an issue that Les is a black man but lets not give them any time.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

DoF on 19:25 - Jan 8 with 1900 viewsSonofpugwash

I'm that old I remember when Queen's Park Rangers was just about football - and not a political one.(And an apostrophe).
It was a lovely old stadium and like the proverbial family axe it's had several new heads and at least two new handles,but times move on and it's lost its awesome edge.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 19:27]

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

DoF on 19:54 - Jan 8 with 1838 viewsThGrimRanger

Les has and always will get massive support on this board …. but how many failed managers before we’re allowed to question his ability ?????

TheGrimRanger

DoF on 20:10 - Jan 8 with 1783 viewsBrianMcCarthy

DoF on 12:28 - Jan 8 by PlanetHonneywood

Well, given the treatment meted out to Hughes and Redknapp gor example, the answer would appear to be no!

Further, given how people like Paul Parker, Les himself, Eze etc. are held in high regard and, recalling the anti-John Terry stance and support for Anton, would be further evidence of results based views as to the 'performance' of several employees of longstanding as opposed to the colour of their skin.

That answer makes me feel better, John, thanks. I would never have doubted you, of course, or this board in general, but even on here there was a regrettable post a few weeks back.

There is no doubt, though, that some comments towards Ferdinand, Ramsey and Hall on social media have been racist, so paulhoop was asking a perfectly sound and fair question, and fair play to Paul for doing so.

This seems to me like a weekend for speaking freely and honestly, if ever there was one.

For my part, I will always think that Ferdinand did a superb job saving us from a financial meltdown, and we were top under his reign only a wet week in Wicklow ago. I also really do wonder whether our club could entice and/or afford a better DoF but as we swing from top of the table to yet another dismal run I think it's fair to look at everyone's position now. All organisations should be perpetually self-assessing.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

DoF on 20:29 - Jan 8 with 1699 viewscharmr

Personally I think Critchley is a good appointment. Beale recommended the job to him so has to say something about that we are doing some good things behind the scenes.

Some of us have been watching this game for many years, so to give Kakay and Hamalainen, 4 year contacts and say this is what we’ve developed has for the first time given me serious doubts about the decision making, the academy and what it is doing. Think Dawes and Neil.

Coaches trying to develop players need to justify and honor their positions as well. Professional football is a cut throat business.

Not that long ago new managers would come in and find we have an Akos or a Faurlin or a Tarabat in our team and knew they thought, wow, there was some real talent here. Of late that just doesn’t seem to be the way.

Watched the game Yesterday and as many have said, as I, not surprised we got beat. Thing is this one really hurt and has severely tested my support for this club. And to think I planned my next trip so I could catch 2 games. Maybe Wealdstone will be at home.
DoF on 20:41 - Jan 8 with 1658 viewsMonkey_Roots

My simplistic way of looking at our DoF is this:

We need a middleman between our manager and the board - managers like Redknapp will tease the trousers down, whilst keeping eye contact, of a fool with a fat wallet. Having someone in there that knows the game, knows the clubs and players - and in an ideal world - loves the club and has its best interests at heart, is a necessity.

Is this right or wrong?
DoF on 21:45 - Jan 8 with 1548 viewsBrianMcCarthy

DoF on 20:41 - Jan 8 by Monkey_Roots

We need a middleman between our manager and the board - managers like Redknapp will tease the trousers down, whilst keeping eye contact, of a fool with a fat wallet. Having someone in there that knows the game, knows the clubs and players - and in an ideal world - loves the club and has its best interests at heart, is a necessity.

Is this right or wrong?

Oh, 100%, we need a DoF.

We don't have a Chairperson/Board like Gregory who knew the game, the players and their worth. Under Gregory, managers may have got some of their signings, but not all, and even then it was at Gregory's price. We don't have that now.

Recent history has shown us that we nearly killed ourselves when the owners allowed the managers to dictate the budget.

Imagine if we'd left Beale in charge of the transfer budget. Imagine entrusting the financial future of your club to a man who flirted with three other clubs before he shook the dirt from his shoes at the door of Loftus Road.

Login to get fewer ads

DoF on 22:08 - Jan 8 with 1480 viewsPlanetHonneywood

DoF on 20:10 - Jan 8 by BrianMcCarthy

That answer makes me feel better, John, thanks. I would never have doubted you, of course, or this board in general, but even on here there was a regrettable post a few weeks back.

There is no doubt, though, that some comments towards Ferdinand, Ramsey and Hall on social media have been racist, so paulhoop was asking a perfectly sound and fair question, and fair play to Paul for doing so.

This seems to me like a weekend for speaking freely and honestly, if ever there was one.

For my part, I will always think that Ferdinand did a superb job saving us from a financial meltdown, and we were top under his reign only a wet week in Wicklow ago. I also really do wonder whether our club could entice and/or afford a better DoF but as we swing from top of the table to yet another dismal run I think it's fair to look at everyone's position now. All organisations should be perpetually self-assessing.

Brian, I don't doubt you'll find some motivated by race. However, I think you've got to look at it in the overall context: you've referred to one post, but I would contend it is significantly outweighed by posts in their hundreds if not thousands, that debate the performance of individual employees on their results.

Didn't read the post you referred to, but I'm sure the poster in question was 'responded to'.

Frankly, I think we're sufficient of number, maturity and longing, to embrace a vegan hindu quadriplegic transgender woman, identifying as a man, of mixed African/Asian race currently going through the 12 steps, if such a person could get us into the 4th Round of the FA Cup.

In Vaikuntha Chaturmur we will trust.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

DoF on 22:16 - Jan 8 with 1453 viewsBrianMcCarthy

DoF on 22:08 - Jan 8 by PlanetHonneywood

Brian, I don't doubt you'll find some motivated by race. However, I think you've got to look at it in the overall context: you've referred to one post, but I would contend it is significantly outweighed by posts in their hundreds if not thousands, that debate the performance of individual employees on their results.

Didn't read the post you referred to, but I'm sure the poster in question was 'responded to'.

Frankly, I think we're sufficient of number, maturity and longing, to embrace a vegan hindu quadriplegic transgender woman, identifying as a man, of mixed African/Asian race currently going through the 12 steps, if such a person could get us into the 4th Round of the FA Cup.

In Vaikuntha Chaturmur we will trust.

Spot on, John.

DoF on 22:16 - Jan 8 with 1447 views1JD

DoF on 20:41 - Jan 8 by Monkey_Roots

Is this right or wrong?

It is not enough to know the game or know the club as every fan could otherwise make a valid claim for the role. Neither is it purely a “middleman” role - in part perhaps.

The DOF role is key in modern football. Known as “Head of Product” in many other industries, it has overall responsibility for delivery of the product, from strategy to execution.

The product in football terms is the players. And the strategy is “buy low, sell high”. The tough part is the execution…
DoF on 23:00 - Jan 8 with 1340 viewsSydneyRs

Looking at this and twitter, seems that "DoF" has become the new "MSM" or "Woke".

Anyone who thinks Les Ferdinand is the root of all problems at QPR, well I don't know what to say to you. Who you going to blame instead if he goes and the same problems (mostly caused by FFP) exist?
DoF on 23:08 - Jan 8 with 1321 viewsdaveB

I've never read the whole thread so this has probably been covered but I'm not sure Ramsey has much of a say or been in charge of anything.

he's had a coaching role the last few years, I'm not sure they know what to do with him, I'm amazed he's still here

I do think it's probably time for a change now, I think Ferdinand has done a lot of good things and the club isn't as much of a shambles as many are saying after a very poor few weeks for the first team but if this carries on someones head is going to be on the block and I'm not sure sacking the manager will be enough this time. It's probably time for a change and a fresh set of eyes to come into the club

We must have some of the most experienced owners in football now,,they've been here a decade, Amit a lot longer, if they are still unable to work out whats wrong I'm not sure they ever will
DoF on 23:17 - Jan 8 with 1285 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

DoF on 20:10 - Jan 8 by BrianMcCarthy

I don’t think we’re a racist fan base at all but It’s a issue for some. The majority of the replies are reassuring.

[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 23:17]
DoF on 23:21 - Jan 8 with 1273 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

DoF on 23:08 - Jan 8 by daveB

I've never read the whole thread so this has probably been covered but I'm not sure Ramsey has much of a say or been in charge of anything.

he's had a coaching role the last few years, I'm not sure they know what to do with him, I'm amazed he's still here

I do think it's probably time for a change now, I think Ferdinand has done a lot of good things and the club isn't as much of a shambles as many are saying after a very poor few weeks for the first team but if this carries on someones head is going to be on the block and I'm not sure sacking the manager will be enough this time. It's probably time for a change and a fresh set of eyes to come into the club

We must have some of the most experienced owners in football now,,they've been here a decade, Amit a lot longer, if they are still unable to work out whats wrong I'm not sure they ever will

Who thought Dave?

What’s that saying about dogs chasing cars?
DoF on 23:26 - Jan 8 with 1260 viewsdaveB

DoF on 23:21 - Jan 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

Who thought Dave?

What’s that saying about dogs chasing cars?

I've no idea who but I don't think it's impossible to find someone else to do the role, it does feel like a change is needed, it's almost a decade now in charge
DoF on 23:30 - Jan 8 with 1248 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

DoF on 23:26 - Jan 8 by daveB

I've no idea who but I don't think it's impossible to find someone else to do the role, it does feel like a change is needed, it's almost a decade now in charge

It’s seven and a half years. This project needs 15-20 at least wether Les is the right man for the job or not.

I’d be questioning the quality, let alone the sanity of anyone wanting to join a club with no prospect of increased income, in not great form, a interfering board, who are three managers deep in the same calendar year.

It’s a problem that needs to be fixed when the sun is shining if you ask me.

Always good to have someone in mind though.
[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 23:47]
DoF on 23:44 - Jan 8 with 1207 viewsBrianMcCarthy

DoF on 23:17 - Jan 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

I don’t think we’re a racist fan base at all but It’s a issue for some. The majority of the replies are reassuring.

[Post edited 8 Jan 2023 23:17]

No, I don't think we are either Bazz.
One of the many reasons I love us.

But, "as Mort Sahl said 'you have to fight the madness'"

DoF on 23:55 - Jan 8 with 1171 viewspaulhoop2

Thais Brian for possibly summing up better than my original post. It’s not I’m accusing the entire support of it just that I thought in my opinion there was an undertone of it especially as the head of recruitment seems to be in critisable if that’s a word lol. We may have been better off keeping warbs? Technical directors are more responsible for coaching philosophy. The issue I concur with is the fact we give long contracts out to travelman / barnes / ramkilde etc does the manager not get a say in these ?

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

DoF on 23:59 - Jan 8 with 1156 viewsdaveB

DoF on 23:30 - Jan 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

It’s seven and a half years. This project needs 15-20 at least wether Les is the right man for the job or not.

I’d be questioning the quality, let alone the sanity of anyone wanting to join a club with no prospect of increased income, in not great form, a interfering board, who are three managers deep in the same calendar year.

7 and a half years is almost a decade. I don't disagree it may well take that long to get us back to what we used to be but that doesn't mean you keep the same people in the role for that long, at some you need to change things, if things don't improve soon I think time will be here.
DoF on 00:16 - Jan 9 with 1133 viewsPunteR

DoF on 23:30 - Jan 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

15-20 years..?.
We're not reforming a country We're just talking about promotion out of the championship ffs.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

DoF on 07:30 - Jan 9 with 990 viewsWegerles_Stairs

DoF on 00:16 - Jan 9 by PunteR

15-20 years..?.
We're not reforming a country We're just talking about promotion out of the championship ffs.

Lol - look at how long Potter is going to get at Chelsea; he'll probably be gone this month.

And it's eight years in February. When he took over, Leicester were in the relegation zone; they won the League the next season. But yes, here's to the next 12 years of underachievement.
DoF on 07:39 - Jan 9 with 998 viewsDixie_CT

Looking at that rank Twitter post, I’m pleased I’ve deleted my Twitter and all social media apart from What’s App. Does mean I’m on here more though, spewing my thoughts out. Sorry about that.

Has Les been effective? Anecdotally yes but what are we measuring him against? The previous bar was pretty low!

Is Les still effective? Starting to become highly doubtful with recruitment of players that can’t sustain any serious form or show any fight when they need to.

Is Chris Ramsey effective? We’ll he definitely wasn’t as first team manager but remained employed because Les suggested we may as redeploy Ramsey as we would have to pay him off when he was sacked (slightly bonkers!).

The academy isn’t producing enough players to play for the first team but this maybe another 2-3 years away. Then again, it maybe a pipe dream and worth doing a Brentford and closing it down.

Does it matter they are Black? Not to me and it shouldn’t to anyone else. If it does, that is your problem, not theirs. Anyone saying should be called out on it (much like that idiot for his tweet) and the conversation should move past it.

If you are doing your job, and in a way that is healthy for others (not a toxic personality), then your identity matters little to zero.

For me, Les and Chris are not effective any more and escape any sort of scrutiny from Hoos and the Board. Why this is the case, is anyone’s guess and it would be good to get more spotlight on it from trusted sources because for some reason any hard questions of them from people who can do it, just doesn’t happen.
DoF on 07:46 - Jan 9 with 993 viewsderbyhoop

This has all the makings of Curbishley leaving Charlton because " he's taken us as far as he can".
Look in L1 (and below) to see what can go really wrong. Ipswich, Sheff Wed, Bolton, Derby, Portsmouth.
Do Les and Hoos get everything right? Of course not. Do the owners who are pumping in £1m+ every month? They made huge errors in PL, which have hampered us ever since.
Heston and the progress of current U18s should give us hope.

We have one of the lowest budgets in the Championship but our wage bill is around 1/4 of what it was. We have managed to stay in the division relatively comfortably. The last 3 managerial appointments have been consistent.

Before asking for a complete overhaul look at the finances.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

(No subject) (n/t) on 07:58 - Jan 9 with 969 viewstraininvain

DoF on 07:30 - Jan 9 by Wegerles_Stairs

Lol - look at how long Potter is going to get at Chelsea; he'll probably be gone this month.

And it's eight years in February. When he took over, Leicester were in the relegation zone; they won the League the next season. But yes, here's to the next 12 years of underachievement.

I agree that LF’s role needs to be regularly scrutinised but it needs to be reviewed with a degree of realism about our financial situation.

I’d be interested to know how many clubs have been promoted during this period (particularly those without parachute payments, I.e. the yo-yo clubs) and their comparative financial strength (net spend, income from stadium etc) compared to ours.

The owners should be reviewing LF’s position on the basis of the club’s performance vs other clubs in a similar situation. If we’re underperforming on this metric then LF needs to go.

[Post edited 9 Jan 2023 8:04]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024