Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? 13:02 - Jan 25 with 7193 viewsSaintNick

I sat last night amongst a fair few people whose only words of encouragement to our players was to demand they leave the pitch or to call them ****, I read social media and one here and read nothing but abuse, there always has to be a scapegoat, always has to be someone to blame for some.

Since the summer of 2014 there has been constant slagging off of this football club, even reaching cup semi finals & indeed in 2017 a cup final wasn't good enough for many.

They all claim the club has no ambition, then on the other hand take pride in telling the world they won't be renewing season tickets or going to matches.

Last night there were the best part of 1,800 empty seats in the ground and this for a cup semi final FFS. Where is the ambition of the fans, the answer is knocked out of them by the constant barrage of negative comments about the club.

Our new owners havent been given a chance by some !

Truth is a small minority started calling everything **** in the summer of 2014 and have continued to do so ever since and slowly but surely worn the rest down so they all believe it.

They think we have a god given right to be in the Premier League and we should spend our way to the top six and that it is as easy as that !

The truth is in the last 9 years we have had as good a time as most clubs outside of the big 6, up to this season in the last 8 seasons we have had 4 top 10 finishes, an 11th place, 2 15th's and up till now just one relegation battle in that time, we have also reached 4 cup semi finals, one of which we reached the final.

This period of time has been as good virtually any period in our history , aside from 1976-86, yet it is still not enough for some.

I sat in the ground last night and thought that for many now the main attraction of supporting Saints is not to encourage them and cheer them on, but sit there like Waldorf & Stadler in the Muppet Show constantly sniping at who is the latest Fozzie Bear in front of them.

The enjoyment now seems to be about having a good moan and being able to boast on social media that you were right.

I'm not having a go at the "fans" as some would claim I do, nor am I claiming to be the best supporter in the world, indeed the majority of supporters who get behind their team.

I know that last night I watched the game with the sole aim of us winning and hopefully the whole team doing well, I cheered them on and offered words of encouragement, there were many there who will not be able to say that.

Discuss

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 12:22 - Jan 26 with 1809 viewsPaleRider

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 12:14 - Jan 26 by grumpy

Your good with stats,Dirk, how many home games have we won over the last 18 months?

Nick, let's turn it on it's head - what are the good things to say about Saints at the moment?
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 12:27 - Jan 26 with 1797 viewssaints__fan__73

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 11:57 - Jan 26 by dirk_doone

Considering results over the last few years, Saints fans are a fairly loyal lot, home and away. If Liverpool had the same results, their fans would break world records for moaning and stay away in droves.

In their years of top flight mediocrity in the 1930s their attendances often fell below 10,000 in spite of a capacity of more than 55,000 and I'm sure their whingeing would have been second to none.

I sometimes look at other clubs' messageboards, after they lose, and they are nearly always a lot more negative than this one. I also remember when we had our success under Pochettino and Koeman, how positive this board was. In fact, even when we reached the top of the table under Hassenhutl, there was absolute joy on here.

Saints' record in 2022 was the worst in the league. That's why there weren't a lot of positive posts. Under the same circumstances there wouldn't have been at any other club either.

[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 12:10]

Quite correct Dirk. Over the last 5 seasons we have won less games of football than any other of the 92 league clubs.

It's amazing that we still get 30k fans turning up every other week.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 14:05 - Jan 26 with 1720 viewsUTS1885

I think the current problem is the frustration that the club have been going sideways for 18 months and the board and new owner, didnt do anything about it. Far too many defeats and a crazy amount of goals conceded. Despite that Ralph Hasenhuttl was retained. He clearly could and should have been sacked at the end of the 20/21 season. A second 9-0 and six defeats in a row (club record) nine more defeats after that as well. We then move on to 21/22 and are doing ok up to the halfway point of the season. But then crash and burn with nine defeats in the last twelve games. At that point, it was 100% game over for Hasenhuttl. But amazingly despite a new owner hes retained and all the coaches are removed. Never heard that happen anywere else.

That has created our current demise this season along with not buying two PL standard strikers last summer.

So, i think the gloom is valid to a degree and in the cauldron goes the media frenzy on football and ticket costs.
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 14:28 - Jan 26 with 1682 viewsMytchettSaint

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 12:22 - Jan 26 by PaleRider

Nick, let's turn it on it's head - what are the good things to say about Saints at the moment?

I asked him that in the first reply on this whole thread. I didn’t get an answer.

Forza Rossobianco

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:23 - Jan 26 with 1657 viewsTripleNiemi

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:27 - Jan 25 by kingslandstand1

Such apathy towards our team!

Not really Kingsland as my apathy is largely directed towards the PL, VAR, the modern breed of photo / mobile waving gimps and lack of a coherent plan or strategy at Saints.

Am I gonna moan about it? Sadly matey I am beyond that now as I really am not interested. Fingers crossed a visit to the Championship may remove some of the above issues.

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 15:32 - Jan 26 with 1642 viewsPaleRider

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 14:05 - Jan 26 by UTS1885

I think the current problem is the frustration that the club have been going sideways for 18 months and the board and new owner, didnt do anything about it. Far too many defeats and a crazy amount of goals conceded. Despite that Ralph Hasenhuttl was retained. He clearly could and should have been sacked at the end of the 20/21 season. A second 9-0 and six defeats in a row (club record) nine more defeats after that as well. We then move on to 21/22 and are doing ok up to the halfway point of the season. But then crash and burn with nine defeats in the last twelve games. At that point, it was 100% game over for Hasenhuttl. But amazingly despite a new owner hes retained and all the coaches are removed. Never heard that happen anywere else.

That has created our current demise this season along with not buying two PL standard strikers last summer.

So, i think the gloom is valid to a degree and in the cauldron goes the media frenzy on football and ticket costs.

I think it goes back longer than that. Ever since Puel left (having been unlucky in the second half of the season) we have been in broad decline across many (but not all) areas - ownership, general management, manager, players - even fans!
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:33 - Jan 26 with 1640 viewsPaleRider

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:23 - Jan 26 by TripleNiemi

Not really Kingsland as my apathy is largely directed towards the PL, VAR, the modern breed of photo / mobile waving gimps and lack of a coherent plan or strategy at Saints.

Am I gonna moan about it? Sadly matey I am beyond that now as I really am not interested. Fingers crossed a visit to the Championship may remove some of the above issues.

You have summed up my view perfectly! Going to Saints matches (or I suspect any in the PL) is just not fun any more!
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:57 - Jan 26 with 1605 viewsgrumpy

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:23 - Jan 26 by TripleNiemi

Sums up my feelings exactly.
Login to get fewer ads

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 15:58 - Jan 26 with 1604 viewsIfonly

It's notable here and also in generally talking to fans - what gets many of us down is just the steady stream of losing matches. It just gets to you in the end, no matter how much you want to be positive. So, strangely enough, maybe the best thing is that we're going to be relegated this year, because that means that next year we will start to win some matches again. All our players who aren't quite good enough for the EPL will start to look like world beaters in the championship. Once we start banging in a few goals again, the whole atmosphere will lift. Once again, fans will be excited about turning up to games and actually look forward to it and enjoy it. I think I'm starting to look forward to it already!

Having said that, I will still be hoping against hope that we don't get relegated. It's just that, if we do, it's not all doom and gloom. There is an upside.
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 16:57 - Jan 26 with 1551 viewsUTS1885

I dont know why but ive had zero interest in the fact we reaching a Cup semi final because of whats been seen in the league over the last two/three seasons. I forgot to add in my previous post the stat of Saints being 90th out of 92 clubs last season. I think if we had seen more home wins last year it wouldnt be so bad.
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 17:44 - Jan 26 with 1522 viewsfelly1

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 12:14 - Jan 26 by grumpy

Your good with stats,Dirk, how many home games have we won over the last 18 months?

Hi Grumpy,
To answer your question we've won 7 out 29 home leagues since the start of the 21/22 Season.
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 17:48 - Jan 26 with 1518 viewsfelly1

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 17:44 - Jan 26 by felly1

Hi Grumpy,
To answer your question we've won 7 out 29 home leagues since the start of the 21/22 Season.

This basically equates to us season tickets holders get to enjoy 1 home victory every 2 months during the last two seasons.
That's bang for buck😂😂😂😂
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 18:10 - Jan 26 with 1492 viewsgrumpy

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 17:44 - Jan 26 by felly1

Hi Grumpy,

Good grief.
Words fail me.
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 18:50 - Jan 26 with 1454 viewsDorsetIan

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 14:05 - Jan 26 by UTS1885

This is spot on.

RH was kept on long past his sell by date.

But there were always voices defending what a great job he’d done on no budget, and also finding excuses for the absentee chairman who provided no budget.

We were so stale for so long, and even though we’re now propping up the league, I’m hopeful for the first time in ages.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 18:54 - Jan 26 with 1451 viewsgrumpy

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 18:50 - Jan 26 by DorsetIan

This is spot on.

RH was kept on long past his sell by date.

But there were always voices defending what a great job he’d done on no budget, and also finding excuses for the absentee chairman who provided no budget.

We were so stale for so long, and even though we’re now propping up the league, I’m hopeful for the first time in ages.

' I’m hopeful for the first time in ages'

Why?
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 18:55]
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 19:26 - Jan 26 with 1398 viewsDorsetIan

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 18:54 - Jan 26 by grumpy

' I’m hopeful for the first time in ages'

Why?
[Post edited 26 Jan 2023 18:55]

Lavia, Edozie, Caletta-Car, Orsic, Alcaraz, all look like good signing to me. And I reckon we're going to get a striker in in the next few days - and maybe he will be good.

I also think we're playing with more aggression and commitment than before and those are two qualities you need in a dog fight.

The three wins in three games, including a magnificent performance against City, proves we can do it.

And there are so many teams on pretty much the same points as us and almost half a season to go.

Sometimes it doesn't take very much to make a massive difference to performances.

An effective target man could be just that for us.

I'm not starry-eyed. I know it'll be tough and maybe we'll just continue giving away goals, failing to score and losing. But there's another possible world in which things get a lot better. And I can hope for that.

Under RH, I had no belief that things could change.

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 19:40 - Jan 26 with 1377 viewsmushinexile

Under SR I have no belief that they will. I don't want to see the club relegated but I see an asset stripping regime (ooh looky, we can replace JWP for £750k and flog him for loads,) that simply doesn't care about success. SFC is simply a vessel to be bled dry and sold on at an obscene profit, like the Glasers are trying to do with ManU. I don't trust their motives and I have no confidence in their business model. I expect the pllayers see this even more than I do. They have no chance of being moulded and welded into a football team because they are just meat for sale.
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 20:07 - Jan 26 with 1346 viewsdwayne_dibley

Having a great problem justifying renewal of the ST for next season to the wife. To be fair she does have a point as usual

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 21:41 - Jan 26 with 1286 viewsSAINTSNIL

Couldn't put it better myself
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 22:43 - Jan 26 with 1221 viewskernow

Does anyone have a good word to say ....?
Yes.
Southampton FC used to have a team, management and ownership that was:
Entertaining, unpredictable, hard to beat, respected, stable, solvent, passionate, proud, overachieving, willing to invest in youth development, focussed on improving and growing.
Hoping a few of those boxes can be ticked again one day.
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 23:22 - Jan 26 with 1174 viewshedgeend61

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 12:27 - Jan 26 by saints__fan__73

Quite correct Dirk. Over the last 5 seasons we have won less games of football than any other of the 92 league clubs.

It's amazing that we still get 30k fans turning up every other week.

'It's amazing that we still get 30k fans turning up every other week'.

It’s the hope that kills you.
Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 23:42 - Jan 26 with 1150 viewsdwayne_dibley

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 23:22 - Jan 26 by hedgeend61

'It's amazing that we still get 30k fans turning up every other week'.

It’s the hope that kills you.

30k fans is a mere pittance

the mighty Blue Few get over 50k for reserve games

Well, I say let's get out there and tw@t it!
Poll: Will you renew your Season Ticket for next season

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:50 - Jan 27 with 1006 viewsBerber

Nick, if you think the general disillusionment is down to the persistent unhappiness of a few fans, you are crackers. Basically, the club has been on a steady downward path since the Pochetino period. A lot of that is down to selling our best players, ( no surprises there, everyone expects it), generally poor scouting and purchases, and a subsequent drift towards cheaper and younger players in greater quantity.

I would say that the purchases of a Adams and A Armstrong were sound at the time, you always take a risk buying Championship players for the PL, and the gap has been all too clear wrt their goal scoring capabilities. We were lucky to get Ings, but over the past 5 years, we can say only KWP and TL have stood out as excellent buys. Who is going to be excited about buying next season’s tickets with such a track record?

One thing is for sure, it is not the fans that have brought the club to its knees, again. You may tire iof the criticisms, but you shouldn’t be criticizing those who feel let down, and say so.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 16:12 - Jan 27 with 948 viewsDorsetIan

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 13:50 - Jan 27 by Berber

Nick, if you think the general disillusionment is down to the persistent unhappiness of a few fans, you are crackers. Basically, the club has been on a steady downward path since the Pochetino period. A lot of that is down to selling our best players, ( no surprises there, everyone expects it), generally poor scouting and purchases, and a subsequent drift towards cheaper and younger players in greater quantity.

I would say that the purchases of a Adams and A Armstrong were sound at the time, you always take a risk buying Championship players for the PL, and the gap has been all too clear wrt their goal scoring capabilities. We were lucky to get Ings, but over the past 5 years, we can say only KWP and TL have stood out as excellent buys. Who is going to be excited about buying next season’s tickets with such a track record?

One thing is for sure, it is not the fans that have brought the club to its knees, again. You may tire iof the criticisms, but you shouldn’t be criticizing those who feel let down, and say so.

The biggest let down was Gao.

He came in promising to take us to 'the next level' but we withered under his ownership.

Nick likes to make excuses for Gao, but whether it was his fault or perhaps he was a victim of circumstances, his period of ownership completely took the wind out of the sails of the club.

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 19:34 - Jan 27 with 895 viewsBerber

Does Anyone Have A Good Word To Say About Southampton Football Club ? on 15:58 - Jan 26 by Ifonly

It's notable here and also in generally talking to fans - what gets many of us down is just the steady stream of losing matches. It just gets to you in the end, no matter how much you want to be positive. So, strangely enough, maybe the best thing is that we're going to be relegated this year, because that means that next year we will start to win some matches again. All our players who aren't quite good enough for the EPL will start to look like world beaters in the championship. Once we start banging in a few goals again, the whole atmosphere will lift. Once again, fans will be excited about turning up to games and actually look forward to it and enjoy it. I think I'm starting to look forward to it already!

Having said that, I will still be hoping against hope that we don't get relegated. It's just that, if we do, it's not all doom and gloom. There is an upside.

If only that was realistic. Sadly. The history of clubs relegated from the PL is not so rosy.

Poll: How many wins this season sweepstake

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024