Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread 15:17 - Dec 23 with 15594 viewsKeithHaynes

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61536/the-man-they-didn
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61540/russell-martin-we-
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61548/latest-news-for-
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61550/team-news-southamp
https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61563/swansea-city-welco

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 22:27 - Dec 26 with 1790 viewsmajorraglan

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 20:29 - Dec 26 by ReslovenSwan1

The owners are the owners. I have repeatedly stated they need to work better and get the club moving. NO ONE ELSE can make the required changes. Jenkins was allegedly a "failed roofer". Coleman and Gude have brains and business acumen to spare. Now they have to prove their big talk. They also quite importantly cover deficits which means local firms continue to get paid.

Gude has talked about "business culture". This business culture is "short term fix" since Steve Cooper brought in multiple loans. He legacy was nil. He gave Cooper and Cullen a run out here or there but he built nothing and left an aging Bennett and a sulking Whitaker and Goykeres.

Martin bequeathed Wood, Downes Darling and Fisher. More hits than misses. FIVE in FIVE out makes the talks of rebuilding practically impossible and will see the like of Ntjoe, Kukharevic, Tymon Parker and Azeem decline and get demoralised as happened with super talented Whitaker and Goykeres.

The Martinez / Brendan evolving squad had one elite loan at one time Gomez then 6 month Borini. A guy came from Ipswich and did not play .

Maybe Cooper thought a number of players at the club weren’t good enough and given the pressure to get back to the Premier League thereby reducing potential further losses the loam market was seen as the way forward. The owners will have agreed to this strategy as they own the majority of the club and sign the cheques. Loans have worked well at other clubs and I can recall Huddersfield being very successful using the loan system.

Some signings work out and others don’t - it’s always a risk and signing unproven “rough diamonds” is always a risk - there’s normally a reason as to why they’re available.

Coleman and Gude may have business acumen, but it remains to be seen whether than is transferable to Championship football. I really hope it is and that they can make the decisions which will see the Swans rise and eventually get back to the Premier League, but we’ll have to wait and see how things work out.
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 22:27 - Dec 26 with 1781 viewsonehunglow

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 17:24 - Dec 26 by lifelong

Every defeat or poor performance you blame one player, Grimes, what about the chances missed by Yates and Lowe, what about that pathetic attempt at a clearance by Rushworth. The whole side was shite today, not just Grimes.

True and led by Grimes.
It’s sickening

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 22:31 - Dec 26 with 1752 viewsonehunglow

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 17:14 - Dec 26 by union_jack

Naughton is a difficult one. When he’s picked there’s groans all around but his experience maybe essential in the right games. Was that today? I don’t know.

Grimes. Off you pop! Drop him if only to give him a reason to try harder next time he plays.

Mate,he is the root cause of indecision,wrong decisions and lack of app,cation.
He slows us down to his pace,walking pace, literally a player,a captain strolling through the game like a false Xabi.
He should be leading us on the pitch and off it too.
He hides .

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 00:00 - Dec 27 with 1601 viewsswancity

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 22:31 - Dec 26 by onehunglow

Mate,he is the root cause of indecision,wrong decisions and lack of app,cation.
He slows us down to his pace,walking pace, literally a player,a captain strolling through the game like a false Xabi.
He should be leading us on the pitch and off it too.
He hides .

One of the problems with a football forum is that it gives clueless people a platform and you are one of those.

The club is in turmoil. We can see that. And yet you continue to single out our captain for criticism, a player who has been constantly selected by every manager. And a player who is appreciated by managers of other clubs.

Try to come up with solutions to our predicament. Be constructive. I dare you.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 07:51 - Dec 27 with 1422 viewspete

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 17:30 - Dec 26 by Fireboy2

All the players that have come in are a level down to players that went.

Stop sticking up for those leeches, they are the reason why we are going to battling relegation as they will not get a decent manager and any players, they are the reason why we have been on the slide since they took over.

Don't bother replying with your usual bvlls!t as I won't read it.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2023 17:30]

there should be no doubt where the blame for our current past and future problems should be placed, these owners do not have an idea how to run a soccer club in the uk they cannot do it in the usa with any success
we all know what they have done in the past and our last 3 managers could not get out fast enough ,the people on the ground here in Wales have one last chance to sort but with out money and i mean real investment and ambition there is no future in this division and the club could sink into oblivion i am sorry to say, that defeat yesterday should be the catalyst to the owners to put up or get out their choice
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 10:03 - Dec 27 with 1256 viewsonehunglow

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 00:00 - Dec 27 by swancity

One of the problems with a football forum is that it gives clueless people a platform and you are one of those.

The club is in turmoil. We can see that. And yet you continue to single out our captain for criticism, a player who has been constantly selected by every manager. And a player who is appreciated by managers of other clubs.

It also affords the chance for people like you to indulge and keep old hate posts going.
You want to engage with me,do it but by DM.
A captain.
Think on it
Have a lovely new year

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 11:19 - Dec 27 with 1168 viewsunion_jack

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 00:00 - Dec 27 by swancity

With respect, it also gives people the chance to defend the indefensible to the hilt. Opinions eh?

Now, most people can see that Grimes is not performing effectively nor is he a captain. Whether that be lack of ability, lack of intelligence or lack of coaching, that’s something we can debate.

Try it.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 11:39 - Dec 27 with 1139 viewsRichardO

This season we had lost four of our first team regulars  in the transfer market five including Whittake, the team and the replacements have been decimated with injuries to "first team players" in both the forwards and defence and as a team we  have struggled to gain footholds in games  because of changes in tactics and starting line ups  trying to protect those returning from injury  and younger players caught up in the turmoil
the club finds itself in .
Yesterday was always be a struggle especially losing both Key  and also dropping Darling to the bench again maybe protecting Darling  but not helping  to keep any consistency in the team maybe because of the number of games in a short iperiod Sheehan may have thought he needed to change things.
The goal is a poor one given the ease in which, out of position Humphreys was  past and the wicked deflection but why change the players around so much Humphreys looked settle in the middle and the returning Wood is quite capable of playing on the right and has last season when we had an early good run, too many changes.
The second goal which killed the game off,when we had tried to put a better amount of pressure  on the opposition with some success, was borne out of two bad mistakes.
They had looked shaky as the Southampton commentators  on the stream mentioned and yet we  threw away any chance of getting into the game  compounded by Coopers loose ball for the third.

We were in the game one nil down but we cannot press forward with any conviction as a team if everyone in the team is not switch on to  not allowing opposition players time and space. Allen came on and the difference was noticeable but  when you apply the press everyone must that is sadly not the case with us,  That takes leadership on the park Grimes is not that leader because he gets caught in two minds does he stay deep or push on leaving his lack of pace exposed, he is a good player and an asset going forward but a weakness defensively when higher up the park and has been under Cooper, Martin, Duff and now Sheehan making it hard for the team to transition between defence and attack and vice-versa.
With all the changes in the team through injuries we have been unable to build any momentum or shape that gets the best out of Grimes but then again do you have to build your team around him?

1 Ginnelly long term injury
2 Allen injured
3 Kuharevich injured
4 Key injured
5 Wood injured
6 Pedersen injured?
7 Tymon injured
8 Ashy injured
9 Liam Walsh injured
10 Obegeta injured
11 Abdulai injured
12 Tjoe-A-On injured?

11 players have been missing out of our first team squad at some point   this season out of a squad of roughly 25 first team outfield  players and a good number were late coming to the club.
Login to get fewer ads

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 12:03 - Dec 27 with 1093 viewsonehunglow

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 11:19 - Dec 27 by union_jack

With respect, it also gives people the chance to defend the indefensible to the hilt. Opinions eh?

Now, most people can see that Grimes is not performing effectively nor is he a captain. Whether that be lack of ability, lack of intelligence or lack of coaching, that’s something we can debate.

Try it.

Without respect to this troll,RichardO makes exactly the same point as my humble self.
I single out the captain as,around him,everything revolves . This is and always has been madness .
It is pointless defending this .
This is is in no way personal but Agrimes ,like it or not,is captain and should lead.
That he doesn’t is obvious.
We will never improve under his non leadership.
It was a catastrophic dumb decision to make him captain .
Other coaches “ praise” him,laughing behind their hands,as they know he is our weakest link.
Finally,seeing a once ferric Joe Allen come on and seeing the game pass him by was deeply upsetting .
Another crass decision by the decision makers who should now be hung out to dry .

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 12:16 - Dec 27 with 1074 viewsRichardO

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 12:03 - Dec 27 by onehunglow

Without respect to this troll,RichardO makes exactly the same point as my humble self.
I single out the captain as,around him,everything revolves . This is and always has been madness .
This is is in no way personal but Agrimes ,like it or not,is captain and should lead.
Other coaches “ praise” him,laughing behind their hands,as they know he is our weakest link.
Finally,seeing a once ferric Joe Allen come on and seeing the game pass him by was deeply upsetting .
Another crass decision by the decision makers who should now be hung out to dry .

Allen's impact on the game was negated by the second goal but then again we shouldn't be relying on him.
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 12:21 - Dec 27 with 1051 viewsKeithHaynes

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/61563/swansea-city-welco

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 12:34 - Dec 27 with 1018 viewsjack247

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 11:19 - Dec 27 by union_jack

Try it.

The reality with Grimes is that only Potter got the best out of him.. He had a little spell under Duff alongside Patino, but we showed Leicester too much respect and reverted to type.

We’ve either played defensively, or used him as the first player defenders look for when playing out from the back. He drops deep and has a lot of opponents to play through, which usually results in a sideways pass and gives opponents time to get back in to shape.

If we drop the histrionics, the reason he plays every minute under every manager and gets a lot of praise from other managers is because he’s a good player. Show a bit more positivity, get him on the ball a bit further forward in broken play and he’ll look a lot better. If we keep giving him the ball halfway inside our own half, facing our goal, nothing is really going to change.
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 12:58 - Dec 27 with 987 viewsTreforys_Jack

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 12:34 - Dec 27 by jack247

The reality with Grimes is that only Potter got the best out of him.. He had a little spell under Duff alongside Patino, but we showed Leicester too much respect and reverted to type.

We’ve either played defensively, or used him as the first player defenders look for when playing out from the back. He drops deep and has a lot of opponents to play through, which usually results in a sideways pass and gives opponents time to get back in to shape.

If we drop the histrionics, the reason he plays every minute under every manager and gets a lot of praise from other managers is because he’s a good player. Show a bit more positivity, get him on the ball a bit further forward in broken play and he’ll look a lot better. If we keep giving him the ball halfway inside our own half, facing our goal, nothing is really going to change.

It's ingrained into him, he plays deeper than the CB's a lot of the time, if he's further up the field facing forward he invariably turns back and the best you can expect is a 3yrd pass to Fulton. Every now and then he gives a glimpse of what he's capable of and that's what frustrates the most. He can shoot, but doesn't, he's back on dead ball duty, just why !!!. Fulton brings out the worst in Grimes and they should not be paired together unless its to see out a game where we're actually winning.
There's a reason he gets praised by other managers and it's the same reason he's been with us for 10yrs, when we've sold anybody that we can sell.
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 13:16 - Dec 27 with 954 viewsjack247

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 12:58 - Dec 27 by Treforys_Jack

It's ingrained into him, he plays deeper than the CB's a lot of the time, if he's further up the field facing forward he invariably turns back and the best you can expect is a 3yrd pass to Fulton. Every now and then he gives a glimpse of what he's capable of and that's what frustrates the most. He can shoot, but doesn't, he's back on dead ball duty, just why !!!. Fulton brings out the worst in Grimes and they should not be paired together unless its to see out a game where we're actually winning.
There's a reason he gets praised by other managers and it's the same reason he's been with us for 10yrs, when we've sold anybody that we can sell.

We had a four or five game spell where Patino was dropping deep as well as going forward. He was the first man our centre backs looked for and Grimes didn’t drop half as deep. They were the best games he’s had for ages.

I agree about Grimes and Fulton as a pair. I think most people do. They both drop deep. Fulton isn’t always as keen for the ball in tight situations, which means it invariably goes to Grimes and his easiest option is often Fulton who is way too close to him. It slows us down.

I’m not sure what you’re saying the reason other managers praise him is?
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 13:20 - Dec 27 with 946 viewsTreforys_Jack

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 13:16 - Dec 27 by jack247

We had a four or five game spell where Patino was dropping deep as well as going forward. He was the first man our centre backs looked for and Grimes didn’t drop half as deep. They were the best games he’s had for ages.

I agree about Grimes and Fulton as a pair. I think most people do. They both drop deep. Fulton isn’t always as keen for the ball in tight situations, which means it invariably goes to Grimes and his easiest option is often Fulton who is way too close to him. It slows us down.

I’m not sure what you’re saying the reason other managers praise him is?

The same reason he's not been sold, he's very predictable, opposition managers know what's happening when he plays, basically he makes it easy for the opposition tactically. I think there is a far better player there but for some reason he plays so reservedly. But the last god knows how many managers have played him so what do I know.
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 13:52 - Dec 27 with 912 viewslifelong

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 12:03 - Dec 27 by onehunglow

Well with respect.

You were wrong about Gower.
Wrong about De Guzman.
Wrong about Pablo.
Wrong about De Vries.
Wrong about the American owners.
Wrong about Russell Martin.
Wrong about Matt Grimes.
The club is in turmoil and you continually lay the blame on Matt Grimes…wrong.

That’s my opinion, good day to you.
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 13:56 - Dec 27 with 911 viewsRichardO

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 12:34 - Dec 27 by jack247

Cooper had a good season and a half out of Grimes but having Hourihane in the midfieldin the second half of Coopers second season we lost a lot of competitive edge around Grimes it would seem he needs a number of defensive minded players to do the defensive work which he struggles with so he can push on and be more effective as we have seen with Potter, Cooper, Martin and both Duff and Sheehan. Basically he needs the right players around him.
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 14:04 - Dec 27 with 897 viewsTreforys_Jack

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 13:56 - Dec 27 by RichardO

Cooper had a good season and a half out of Grimes but having Hourihane in the midfieldin the second half of Coopers second season we lost a lot of competitive edge around Grimes it would seem he needs a number of defensive minded players to do the defensive work which he struggles with so he can push on and be more effective as we have seen with Potter, Cooper, Martin and both Duff and Sheehan. Basically he needs the right players around him.

He was really good around Downes as well.
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 14:16 - Dec 27 with 881 viewsjack247

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 13:20 - Dec 27 by Treforys_Jack

The same reason he's not been sold, he's very predictable, opposition managers know what's happening when he plays, basically he makes it easy for the opposition tactically. I think there is a far better player there but for some reason he plays so reservedly. But the last god knows how many managers have played him so what do I know.

To be honest I agree with that. He plays exactly how he’s told. It’s frustrating. I’m the odd occasion he is told to influence the game further up the pitch, you can see how good a player he is.

When everything has to go through him, especially when he’s picking it up deep in our half, it does slow us down and make us predictable.

If that’s all he had about him, he wouldn’t be a regular starter.
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 14:22 - Dec 27 with 871 viewsunion_jack

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 13:52 - Dec 27 by lifelong

Well with respect.

You were wrong about Gower.
Wrong about De Guzman.
Wrong about Pablo.
Wrong about De Vries.
Wrong about the American owners.
Wrong about Russell Martin.
Wrong about Matt Grimes.
The club is in turmoil and you continually lay the blame on Matt Grimes…wrong.

That’s my opinion, good day to you.

Well, the Christmas bonhomie didn’t last long😂😂😂

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 14:23 - Dec 27 with 869 viewsRichardO

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 14:04 - Dec 27 by Treforys_Jack

He was really good around Downes as well.

Downes was a bit inexperienced but was good at both aspects of the game which is what Grimes needs in the middle to take the pressure of him someone to be defensively sound but also with the ability to take the creative load off him.
The shape of the team with the right players has helped in the past.
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 15:09 - Dec 27 with 796 viewslifelong

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 14:22 - Dec 27 by union_jack

That was my happy New Year message.😁
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 15:17 - Dec 27 with 782 viewsonehunglow

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 14:22 - Dec 27 by union_jack

Oh I dunno.
He missed out my cruel critique on super Kyle Naughton,currently topping up his pension at our expenses when the club is bleeding. Ironic to me
It was at least five days.
Not bad
Lifey invited me to his Christmas party but I couldn’t make it as I was shaving my testicles
Lifey is alright really.
He loves the club
That ll do for me

I was right about all those

The seagull community in The Mersey will never forgive the shitehawk killer Mark Gower

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 15:26 - Dec 27 with 769 viewslifelong

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 15:17 - Dec 27 by onehunglow

Oh I dunno.
He missed out my cruel critique on super Kyle Naughton,currently topping up his pension at our expenses when the club is bleeding. Ironic to me
It was at least five days.
Not bad
Lifey invited me to his Christmas party but I couldn’t make it as I was shaving my testicles
Lifey is alright really.
He loves the club
That ll do for me

I was right about all those

The seagull community in The Mersey will never forgive the shitehawk killer Mark Gower

Yes, I was looking for something to stuff the turkey with.👍
Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 16:34 - Dec 27 with 691 viewsonehunglow

Southampton v Swansea City : Match day thread on 15:26 - Dec 27 by lifelong

Yes, I was looking for something to stuff the turkey with.👍

It’s tough being a seagull.
Everybody hates you
I know the feeling

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024