Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered 17:48 - Dec 3 with 15226 viewsloftboy

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 09:21 - Dec 4 with 1578 viewsMyke

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 07:22 - Dec 4 by essextaxiboy

The whole of the world science has been thrown at this to the exclusion of much else . How do you think China build an airport in a month, because they have thousands of tradesmen on site . That is how it has come through so quickly .

I hope the airlines make it a condition of travel that passengers are vaccinated , I hope that hospitals make vaccinations a condition of entry . We shouldnt make it compulsory , that is not a road to follow but making it anti social and selfish I have no problem with .

The anti MMR doc has been struck off . I have heard no health proffessional saying this one may be unsafe

Astra have said they will make no profit from it.

2 things:
Hellluva difference between building an airport and developing a safe vaccine
If you seriously think that the multinational pharmaceutical companies are doing this (quite literally) for the good of their (our) health ... Then why didn't they rush to produce an ebola vaccine for African countries stricken with that virus? (a clue to the answer is in the location)
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 09:28 - Dec 4 with 1583 viewsCorbyQPR

Put this on the wrong thread!

Still not sure personally.

What is the end game here? Is it total eradication of the virus? If so, I think that's unrealistic in todays globalised society.

Is it to stop the hospitals becoming overwhelmed & to save lives, which is a much more realistic aim, if that's it then I don't see the need to vaccinate more than the vulnerable population, like the flu.

I'm not sure anyone has actually explained the objective??
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 09:30 - Dec 4 with 1574 viewsSuffolkHoop

Yes. People much smarter than me have developed it.
I want to the pandemic and all the unpleasantness that comes with it to end, ASAFP.
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 09:42 - Dec 4 with 1538 viewsted_hendrix

Re the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine;

How effective is the vaccine?
About 95 per cent. The phase 3 trials of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine involved 42,000 people, about half of whom got the experimental vaccine and the rest a placebo. In total, 170 people fell ill with covid-19. Only eight of them were in the vaccine group; 162 had received the placebo. So around 5 per cent of cases were in the vaccine group, which is where the 95 per cent figure comes from. That is a very healthy number: the World Health Organization (WHO) has said it would be happy with 50 per cent.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 09:43 - Dec 4 with 1538 viewsKonk

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 09:21 - Dec 4 by Myke

2 things:
Hellluva difference between building an airport and developing a safe vaccine
If you seriously think that the multinational pharmaceutical companies are doing this (quite literally) for the good of their (our) health ... Then why didn't they rush to produce an ebola vaccine for African countries stricken with that virus? (a clue to the answer is in the location)

I think you're right to a degree, but the very fact that Covid-19 is a global pandemic, that has already brought huge economic damage, globally, even in countries that have managed to limit the number of infections and death, means that this is fairly unique, in a way that HIV or Ebola aren't. But yes, if this wasn't affected the West, I very much doubt we'd have seen the same sense of urgency/focus. I'm not denying there are huge financial incentives for Pharma companies to produce a vaccine, but I like to think that the main incentive - certainly for the scientists involved - is to find a way to save lives, give people peace of mind, and rescue the global economy.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 10:41 - Dec 4 with 1495 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 09:28 - Dec 4 by CorbyQPR

What is the end game here? Is it total eradication of the virus? If so, I think that's unrealistic in todays globalised society.

Is it to stop the hospitals becoming overwhelmed & to save lives, which is a much more realistic aim, if that's it then I don't see the need to vaccinate more than the vulnerable population, like the flu.

Or is it to get bragging rights over those nasty inferior foreign folk?

For me it’s all a bit like being 6 points clear at the top of the league in December and celebrating like you’ve won the league. Promising but a long way to go yet!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 10:50 - Dec 4 with 1484 viewsAntti_Heinola

https://theconversation.com/less-than-a-year-to-develop-a-covid-vaccine-heres-wh

a lot of explanantion here for those who want it, but I'm aware we all these days believe what we want to believe and seek out articles/views that confirm our own beliefs (not a criticism of individuals, i include myself, we all do it). But still. Think this answers a lot of questions on this thread.

Bare bones.

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 10:58 - Dec 4 with 1457 viewsTW_R

In the late 60s Smallpox was infecting 50 million people globally on an annual basis. By 1980 it was declared as eradicated.
Login to get fewer ads

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 11:12 - Dec 4 with 1442 viewsnix

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 09:43 - Dec 4 by Konk

I think you're right to a degree, but the very fact that Covid-19 is a global pandemic, that has already brought huge economic damage, globally, even in countries that have managed to limit the number of infections and death, means that this is fairly unique, in a way that HIV or Ebola aren't. But yes, if this wasn't affected the West, I very much doubt we'd have seen the same sense of urgency/focus. I'm not denying there are huge financial incentives for Pharma companies to produce a vaccine, but I like to think that the main incentive - certainly for the scientists involved - is to find a way to save lives, give people peace of mind, and rescue the global economy.

Another point is that Covid is a coronavirus and therefore structurally similar to other coronaviruses for which we have got a vaccine, so may be easier to vaccinate against. I think I read somewhere that someone who got SARs seemed to be immune from Covid, so there's already some crossover. Ebola and HIV are completely separate illnesses and may be more difficult to vaccinate against (more complex structures?).
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 11:17 - Dec 4 with 1412 viewsstevec

Found quite funny on Jeremy Vine show, talking about ideal 2020 Xmas day TV viewing, was suggested live vaccination of David Attenborough after the queens speech. Must admit, that’s got everything.
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 11:20 - Dec 4 with 1415 viewsMrSheen

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 11:12 - Dec 4 by nix

Another point is that Covid is a coronavirus and therefore structurally similar to other coronaviruses for which we have got a vaccine, so may be easier to vaccinate against. I think I read somewhere that someone who got SARs seemed to be immune from Covid, so there's already some crossover. Ebola and HIV are completely separate illnesses and may be more difficult to vaccinate against (more complex structures?).

There's also the degree of contagion to take into account when considering whether to vaccinate an entire population. The largest Ebola outbreak ever infected 28,000 people between 2014-16. HIV infects about 1.2m a year, and can be prevented through other means and behaviour. Coronavirus has infected 65m in its first year alone.
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 11:23 - Dec 4 with 1406 viewsted_hendrix

By some dreadful coincidence I have just received a phone call from an ex work colleague and mate telling me that another one of my ex colleagues contracted Covid-19 a couple of weeks ago stayed off work and returned to work earlier this week, yesterday he had a massive stroke and was rushed firstly to Swindon hospital where they couldn't do anything for him so he was transferred to Bristol hospital where the poor sod is now fighting for his life, he's a 55 Year old big strong bloke and a diamond of a bloke with a wife and two kids.
I can't help but think that the two are incidences are related It's far too co-incidental, I'm gutted for the bloke and his family and has just re-enforced my belief even more that I should take the vaccine.

What an absolute bastard this Covid-19 is, apologies for laying my misery on you people, this morning.

Stay safe and fingers crossed for the future.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 12:25 - Dec 4 with 1347 viewsLythamR

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 11:23 - Dec 4 by ted_hendrix

By some dreadful coincidence I have just received a phone call from an ex work colleague and mate telling me that another one of my ex colleagues contracted Covid-19 a couple of weeks ago stayed off work and returned to work earlier this week, yesterday he had a massive stroke and was rushed firstly to Swindon hospital where they couldn't do anything for him so he was transferred to Bristol hospital where the poor sod is now fighting for his life, he's a 55 Year old big strong bloke and a diamond of a bloke with a wife and two kids.
I can't help but think that the two are incidences are related It's far too co-incidental, I'm gutted for the bloke and his family and has just re-enforced my belief even more that I should take the vaccine.

What an absolute bastard this Covid-19 is, apologies for laying my misery on you people, this morning.

Stay safe and fingers crossed for the future.

an ex colleague caught Covid 5 weeks ago, 48 and healthy, he spent the last 2 weeks in ICU and just been released back to a general ward after being near death, his Father in Law, 65 died of Covid whilst he was in intensive care

A chap local 2 me, late 50's spent 60 days in hospital with Covid and recovered and was released a couple of months ago then dropped dead with a heart attach a couple of days ago, Effects of Long Covid are very concerning and still relatively obscure which is why its important to avoid catching this thing if at all possible despite lots of people catching it and brushing it off after a few days.
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 12:50 - Dec 4 with 1302 viewsR_from_afar

My wife works in the NHS, including with some patients who, sadly, have the virus.

Just to be clear, just because you are not in an at-risk category or do not have an underlying health condition does not mean you will only experience mild symptoms if you do get it. You cannot be sure of how it will affect you.

Plus, of course, if you do not take the vaccine, you could get the virus, and, for a period of time, be contagious without having any symptoms and possibly endanger at-risk people.

Finally, this vaccine has been developed quickly because this is a global health emergency the like of which we have not seen for 100 years. Oh, and whilst drug companies do stand to make money from it, don't you think their leadership team and other staff would like this nightmare to be over too? They are just as vulnerable as all of us. They are not immortal. Or Captain Scarlet.

Unless advised by your GP not to have it, for goodness sake have the vaccine when you are offered it so we can get this thread off page 1 of the forum. It's not just yourself you are protecting. Thank you in advance to all who do have it.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:02 - Dec 4 with 1258 viewsPinnerPaul

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 19:27 - Dec 3 by lightwaterhoop

If your in a high risk group ie age,medical condition etc it might be worth a chance but for anyone else to take an untested vaccine is not very wise.For most people there is no need for a vaccine as they have an immune system which is more than capable of fighting off this virus.At the very least wait for a couple of years to see how this vaccine works.

Its not untested
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:05 - Dec 4 with 1249 viewsSouthCoastR

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:02 - Dec 4 by PinnerPaul

Its not untested

Honestly do not know many different ways there are for this to be explained
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:09 - Dec 4 with 1239 viewsPinnerPaul

I think you'll find no virus/diseases we are vaccinated against are 'eradicated completely'

There is a poster up in my local chemist for private vaccinations for things like small pox, scarlet fever etc - if the vast majority of children stop being given vaccinations as they are now then the conditions return.

Oh and I'm a yes btw, but I do think people forget how many of us live in the UK - with everyone requiring 2 doses its going to be a fair while before they get down to me, even at my, recently arrived at, ripe old age of 60!
[Post edited 4 Dec 2020 14:11]
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:19 - Dec 4 with 1224 viewsPinnerPaul

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 10:58 - Dec 4 by TW_R

In the late 60s Smallpox was infecting 50 million people globally on an annual basis. By 1980 it was declared as eradicated.

Apologies you're correct and do you know how many others have been 'completely eradicated' erm ONE 'Rinderpest' Google tells me!

People die from seasonal flu - about 20,000 in the UK alone in bad year - about 8 -10,000 is 'average' and we have had flue vaccine around for a while - even extending the free vaccination programme to the over 50s isn't going to stop people dying let alone completely eradicate it - that's the not the aim surely - its so that like measles, mumps, chicken pox, flu - we can live 'normally' with all those diseases as we always have done.
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:24 - Dec 4 with 1216 viewsPinnerPaul

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:05 - Dec 4 by SouthCoastR

Honestly do not know many different ways there are for this to be explained

If we're going to be patronising, how about a quick English lesson?

Untested means NO testing as in untitled means no title.

Untested, doesn't mean 'tested, but not to my satisfaction'
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:31 - Dec 4 with 1201 viewsSharpy36

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:24 - Dec 4 by PinnerPaul

If we're going to be patronising, how about a quick English lesson?

Untested means NO testing as in untitled means no title.

Untested, doesn't mean 'tested, but not to my satisfaction'

I think Southcoast is on your side of the argument

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:37 - Dec 4 with 1190 viewsizlingtonhoop

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 07:22 - Dec 4 by essextaxiboy

The whole of the world science has been thrown at this to the exclusion of much else . How do you think China build an airport in a month, because they have thousands of tradesmen on site . That is how it has come through so quickly .

I hope the airlines make it a condition of travel that passengers are vaccinated , I hope that hospitals make vaccinations a condition of entry . We shouldnt make it compulsory , that is not a road to follow but making it anti social and selfish I have no problem with .

The anti MMR doc has been struck off . I have heard no health proffessional saying this one may be unsafe

Astra have said they will make no profit from it.

How would airlines make it a condition of travel when it's not available to everyone on demand?

Or are you suggesting that they might arrange it for all of their passengers?

Not smartarseing; genuine thought..
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:40 - Dec 4 with 1178 viewsNewBee

I was listening recently to a profile of the founders of BioNTech. They are a married couple, both doctors, German but with Turkish heritage.

As well as medically qualified, they are scientists and successful in business, building BioNTech into a billion dollar company - one of the reasons why Pfizer went in with them.

Anyhow, until this year, they had been working on anti-cancer vaccine research. When the news of Covid-19 was confirmed from China in early January, the owner went in on the following Monday morning and told everyone to stop everything they were doing and start working on the virus exclusively.

He realised the seriousness of the pandemic immediately and more importantly, that Western governments would plunge billions into finding an effective vaccine.

(One of the reasons why previous vaccines have taken so long to bring to market is that governments are generally reluctant to fund research, esp for obscure localised diseases in poor, 3rd World countries. Consequently companies have to rely on charitable funding eg Wellcome Trust or Gates Foundation)
[Post edited 4 Dec 2020 14:42]
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:42 - Dec 4 with 1180 viewsSouthCoastR

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:31 - Dec 4 by Sharpy36

I think Southcoast is on your side of the argument

Not even sure its an argument is it?

The news of the testing and the results are not exactly a secret.
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:45 - Dec 4 with 1173 viewsNorthernr

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:42 - Dec 4 by SouthCoastR

Yeh but @Brian06385148 on Twitter says he's heard it's well dodge, so there's that to consider.
Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:46 - Dec 4 with 1168 viewsSharpy36

Will you have the COVID vaccine if offered on 14:42 - Dec 4 by SouthCoastR

I was merely pointing out that Pinner and yourself were in the same corner.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024