Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Right man. Right time? – Column 23:20 - Oct 30 with 19863 viewsNorthernr

Two 18 hour work days consecutively. Can we have a quiet one tomorrow please.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/61182
Right man. Right time? – Column on 10:04 - Oct 31 with 3007 viewsNorthernr

Right man. Right time? – Column on 10:00 - Oct 31 by E1Hoop

A great article, thank you. I read a lot but do not post very often. I hesitate to ask this as I don’t want to be seen as opening up the painful FFP headroom debate again. But if I have understood correctly there is no head room this season but some next season, although we have used up some of next seasons headroom with the 2 years deals for Cook, Fox and Colback. My question is what is the punishment if we breach in January, by making some signings that are within the headroom for next season? Is the slate wiped clean in August or do the penalties run into next season? As I said not trying to question your previous analysis.

Very little this year because Eze sale is rolling out but Warburton overspend remains in.
A little better next season as Warburton overspend rolls out, but we're still losing money hand over fist so it won't be all sunshine and lightness. We'll have a better idea in February when we find out how much last seasons's meltdown cost us.
If we stay up there's a new Championship TV deal next season - it's very bad news for the match going fans, but basically doubles the money we get now from Sky.
Yes we've already started spending that money with some of the contracts handed out, as you say.
If we breach it in January there's a lag in the reporting period, the accounts don't come out till the following February, so punishments and transfer embargoes would start to fck you from Feb 25 - although I think you have to provide forward looking statements to the EFL and they'll impose things like soft transfer embargoes earlier than that. The slate is never wiped clean, it's just one long rolling reporting period.

I think.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Right man. Right time? – Column on 10:05 - Oct 31 with 3000 viewsbaz_qpr

Right man. Right time? – Column on 09:43 - Oct 31 by Northernr

As said in the piece, Warnock is negotiating from a position of strength. He's just kept Huddersfield up, he doesn't need a job, he can pick and choose the ones he likes, and if not he'll just knock around in Cornwall. He wants a budget in January and a massive bonus for keeping you up, not to mention his own contract.

I think the club would do well to try and distance themselves from this idea that it was a straight choice between Warnock and Cifuentes (I mean if you come down to those two what sort of process have you been running?) because if results don't turn immediately/at all then people are going to be wailing about not doing Warnock. Cifuentes they've wanted for more than 18 months.

I think the Warnock piece in the telegraph came from Warnock not the club and they new exactly who they were going for as it was wrapped up so quick probably done last week
Right man. Right time? – Column on 10:07 - Oct 31 with 2975 viewsNorthernr

Right man. Right time? – Column on 10:05 - Oct 31 by baz_qpr

I think the Warnock piece in the telegraph came from Warnock not the club and they new exactly who they were going for as it was wrapped up so quick probably done last week

Yeh it was all decided after Huddersfield so they've been interviewing etc over the last week. Spoke with five people in the end I believe.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 10:18 - Oct 31 with 2893 viewsdaveB

Right man. Right time? – Column on 10:04 - Oct 31 by Northernr

Very little this year because Eze sale is rolling out but Warburton overspend remains in.
A little better next season as Warburton overspend rolls out, but we're still losing money hand over fist so it won't be all sunshine and lightness. We'll have a better idea in February when we find out how much last seasons's meltdown cost us.
If we stay up there's a new Championship TV deal next season - it's very bad news for the match going fans, but basically doubles the money we get now from Sky.
Yes we've already started spending that money with some of the contracts handed out, as you say.
If we breach it in January there's a lag in the reporting period, the accounts don't come out till the following February, so punishments and transfer embargoes would start to fck you from Feb 25 - although I think you have to provide forward looking statements to the EFL and they'll impose things like soft transfer embargoes earlier than that. The slate is never wiped clean, it's just one long rolling reporting period.

I think.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Will be interesting to see how much they got for this stadium naming rights, they've sold naming rights for the school end as well judging y the signs up but don't remember any announcement on that
Right man. Right time? – Column on 10:18 - Oct 31 with 2893 viewshoopedmonkey

Right man. Right time? – Column on 09:26 - Oct 31 by Northernr

Not helped by his central midfield being stupidly suspended.

I think this may actually help him . Also it would be good to see a commitment to (capable) youth rather than the previous dice throwing approach.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 10:34 - Oct 31 with 2825 viewsTheChef

Right man. Right time? – Column on 10:02 - Oct 31 by Hoopsie

If we wanted Cifuentes for more than a year, why would Cifuentes still wanted to come after how our club imploded since beale departed right up to now?

I am sure he did his due diligence and see us as something he could work his magic with

Maybe he’s sold on the new training ground at Heston?

Suggestion is we could have had him after Beale - but not possible due to Hammarby not wanting to let him go plus we couldn't afford any compensation.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Right man. Right time? – Column on 11:56 - Oct 31 with 2623 viewscaptainmycaptian

Great Linkin/sincs quote could apply to the whole club. Seems like a real chance taken here but it was always going to be risky even with NW. Probably was the preferred option after no real Beal. GA was given a chance because of his history and cost.
Worry is that he might do a Beal if we go down. If we stay up not only amazing but future much improved
The start he gets is imperative. A RESULT AT ROTHERHAM AND AT HOME TO BRISTOL AND WE WILL FLY big big massive if's though,this is a cojones decision mad club big footballing u turn. At least the entertainment should be there come on you R'S.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 11:58 - Oct 31 with 2616 viewsSimonD

Right man. Right time? – Column on 10:18 - Oct 31 by daveB

Will be interesting to see how much they got for this stadium naming rights, they've sold naming rights for the school end as well judging y the signs up but don't remember any announcement on that

According to this, it is £1.2m over 3 seasons

https://www.matrade.gov.my/en/about-matrade/media/press-releases/5951-matrade-is
Login to get fewer ads

Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:00 - Oct 31 with 2598 viewsNorthernr

Right man. Right time? – Column on 11:58 - Oct 31 by SimonD

https://www.matrade.gov.my/en/about-matrade/media/press-releases/5951-matrade-is

That's not going to butter a lot of parsnips.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:03 - Oct 31 with 2577 viewsEastR

Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:00 - Oct 31 by Northernr

That's not going to butter a lot of parsnips.

and Ruben picking up the bill in full

The full cost of the naming rights partnership, valued at GBP 1.2 million (GBP 400,000 per year) will be absorbed by QPR’s Malaysian co-owner, Datuk Ruben Gnanalingam Abdullah, who is also a Board member of MATRADE, as part of his Corporate Social Responsibility to Malaysia.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:10 - Oct 31 with 2538 viewsNorthernr

Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:03 - Oct 31 by EastR

and Ruben picking up the bill in full

The full cost of the naming rights partnership, valued at GBP 1.2 million (GBP 400,000 per year) will be absorbed by QPR’s Malaysian co-owner, Datuk Ruben Gnanalingam Abdullah, who is also a Board member of MATRADE, as part of his Corporate Social Responsibility to Malaysia.

Yeh so it is basically him putting in what he was putting in anyway but in a way that counts favourably vs FFP.

That amount would cover our losses for about a month.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:23 - Oct 31 with 2447 viewsDejR_vu

Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:10 - Oct 31 by Northernr

Yeh so it is basically him putting in what he was putting in anyway but in a way that counts favourably vs FFP.

That amount would cover our losses for about a month.

Just enough headroom to pay off a manger and his assistant, I would imagine.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:26 - Oct 31 with 2447 viewsNorthernr

Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:23 - Oct 31 by DejR_vu

Just enough headroom to pay off a manger and his assistant, I would imagine.

If they suddenly rename The Blue and White Bar after Tune Hotels Cifuentes will know he's done for.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:38 - Oct 31 with 2403 viewsTrom

Right man. Right time? – Column on 08:30 - Oct 31 by cyprusmel

Well I've never heard of him as I suspect many on here will be the same.
Massive risk the club are taking here. Start of the season I would have thought alright let's give it a go but 8 points adrift it's a big gamble to employ someone to get us out of the shit without any knowledge or experience of English football.
I really want him to do well and it will be a completely different approach to Mr Ainsworth so maybe he can get the players on board.
As I have said on another thread and I truly believe it this team are not championship contenders but are much better than the position we find ourselves in now.
Very best of luck to him, he's our manager and I will support him and his team.
The next two games are winnable so he could get off to a flyer which would improve moral no end.
Good luck Sir, keep us up.

Is it a massive risk? Three potential outcomes:

1. Players buy-in and we start to look like a threat on the pitch and survive.

2. Players' limitations are such that we go down. Then it's a rebuild in a division with less harsh FFP rules.

3. Results don't come and the directors rip it all up again. Surely this appointment is an acknowledgement that the complete about-turn in management style and tactics of Ainsworth was a mistake.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:41 - Oct 31 with 2387 viewsdaveB

thats probably what it's worth but was hoping it was more
Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:53 - Oct 31 with 2338 viewsdannyblue

Thanks for digging that up. I was hoping it was more, and would be allowing the new manager a January splurge.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:58 - Oct 31 with 2312 viewsterryb

Thanks Clive.

Of course, the results matter, but hopefully we will start enjoying the foorball that we are watching! The next two games are so important. If somehow we achieved four points from them (no, I've no idea how!) the mood on & off the pitch would immediately change. Norwich tickets might even sell!

IMO this appointment is a risk, but no more than has been the case with any previous ones. I'm pleased that we've gone for somebody different to all the other names that were mentioned.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 13:00 - Oct 31 with 2289 viewsNewBee

If we wanted Cifuentes for more than a year, why would Cifuentes still wanted to come after how our club imploded since beale departed right up to now?

I am sure he did his due diligence and see us as something he could work his magic with

Reading the whole (typically informed/entertaining) article, I think one factor in his appointment is being overlooked, namely his Nationality.

Not because his being Spanish means he is inherently able, or of a certain style etc, but because of the state of the managerial profession, both over in Spain and here in England.

For it seems to me that in Spain (and Portugal too, as it happens), they have a very good system for developing managers, without having also developed the requisite number of outlets (clubs) for them to demonstrate their ability.

That is, you have three giant clubs, with the rest being left ever further behind. Worse, two of the former (Atletico and Barca) have managers who will be there as long as they want, while Real will appoint a replacement for Ancellotti from amongst the very biggest names in world football, probably Zidane.

By contrast, England already has six established "Big Clubs", with others like Villa and Newcastle aspiring to join them. (Probably five entries in the CL next season as well). While the game has increasingly more money for players, facilities, development and the like. And even more importantly, the English game is now far more receptive to foreign managers and their fancy ideas etc than ever before.

Which is why the two most significant managerial appointments in English football in recent times were Lopetgui/Wolves and Emery/Villa last year, where both left very decent, established Spanish teams, successful in Europe etc, in order to join middle-ranking English clubs. I assume both felt there was more potential for them in England, even if the former then left Wolves (bloody Wolves ffs!) because they lied to him about FFP and his transfer kitty.

Which brings us back to Cifuentes. Without the CV of those two, he wasn't going to get a PL club anytime soon, so opted instead for the next best/available offer. And to a certain extent it's a "shot-to-nothing" i.e. if he keeps you up, great, but if he doesn't, well it wasn't his fault.

Either way he'll have established a profile in England, while gaining experience over here, and making valuable contacts etc.

P.S. I wonder whether his acquiring fluent English wasn't also part of a longer term plan by Cifuentes? If so, that's as impressive for its vision as it is for its own sake.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 13:30 - Oct 31 with 2147 viewsSimonD

Right man. Right time? – Column on 12:53 - Oct 31 by dannyblue

Thanks for digging that up. I was hoping it was more, and would be allowing the new manager a January splurge.

As this revenue is from an associated party, had they gone for much more the "Fair Value" police would have come knocking and disallowed whatever they deemed as excess from our FFP calculation.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 13:31 - Oct 31 with 2146 viewseastside_r

A brilliant article - thank you. And also some incisive observations BTL, too many to comment on without my head exploding.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 13:32 - Oct 31 with 2127 viewsCLAREMAN1995

Right man. Right time? – Column on 08:14 - Oct 31 by PlanetHonneywood

PH to Mrs. PH - Do you want to see the new manager?

Mrs. PH - If he has a haircut it's already an improvement. Is he any good?

PH - You could read the artic...

Mrs. PH - No matter if he's good or not, he's a good looking boy! Good choice. Maybe 'we' go to QPR when next back.

Not bothered about formations, possession stats, inverted FBs, or the prospect of Willock and Chair ripping teams a second one!

Word for word what my daughter said when she sent me the text about a new pope ( I liked it to be honest being Halloween and all ) then the picture of the new guy
Remember how fresh and energetic GA looked then 9 months later he aged like the red headed priestess in Game Of Thrones after the battle with the dead .
Right man. Right time? – Column on 13:55 - Oct 31 with 2040 viewsR_from_afar

Thanks for all the marvellous content you pump out for we grouchy fans, Northern.

In a parallel universe, if you were a bit younger (no offence ) and French - bear with me on this - you could be taking it easy and running a fans website for Ligue 2 side AJ Auxerre:

- Only 15 (fifteen) managers between 1964 and today!
- Only one - yes, really, one - manager between 1964 and 2000 .

Easy street

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Right man. Right time? – Column on 14:05 - Oct 31 with 2016 viewslassel

Championship club in London, some decent young players and ripe for a full makeover.

The situation here won’t be alien to him, Hammarby flogged the crown jewels for €10m+ last winter and he had to replace them with loans and freebies. His one big splash out was €1m on a 19 year old winger from the Montenegrin league who has chipped in 10 goals so he will have a plan I’m sure to wheel and deal here.
Right man. Right time? – Column on 14:06 - Oct 31 with 2009 viewsTheChef

Right man. Right time? – Column on 13:55 - Oct 31 by R_from_afar

Thanks for all the marvellous content you pump out for we grouchy fans, Northern.

In a parallel universe, if you were a bit younger (no offence ) and French - bear with me on this - you could be taking it easy and running a fans website for Ligue 2 side AJ Auxerre:

- Only 15 (fifteen) managers between 1964 and today!
- Only one - yes, really, one - manager between 1964 and 2000 .

Easy street

Guy Roux.

Legend!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Right man. Right time? – Column on 14:38 - Oct 31 with 1900 viewsNewBee

@Hoopsie
"If we wanted Cifuentes for more than a year, why would Cifuentes still wanted to come after how our club imploded since beale departed right up to now?"
@Lassel
"Championship club in London, some decent young players and ripe for a full makeover."

You might have added "Work Permit" to your reply, Lassel. Earlier I posted about the attractions of English football for someone who is young, talented and ambitious.

And in that context, to borrow a Hollowayism, QPR might not be the prettiest girl in the nightclub, but she'll do for now and if she's willing to come home with you afterwards, then it can round off a very pleasant evening. I mean, it's not as if you (i.e. MC) are thinking of a long-term relationship, is it?

While there may be another aspect to this move, aside from his desire to get to England, namely his desire to get away from Sweden. For regardless of how well he may be doing at Hammerby presently, Swedish club football isn't in a very good place right now. Meaning that the outlook for any ambitious young coach, no matter how talented, can't be too rosy.

That is, the top Swedish team in UEFA's Club Coefficients is Malmo, at 84th . Next is Djurgarden at 94th, with Hammarby the third highest Swedish club with a ranking of 246th:
https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2024

While on a Country level, Sweden has now dropped to 23rd in Europe (i.e. barely top half), one position below Cyprus and 8 and 9 positions respectively below comparable Scandi countries, Norway and Denmark:
https://www.uefa.com/nationalassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2024
[Post edited 31 Oct 2023 14:40]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024