Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Morrison 11:00 - Apr 8 with 6362 viewsbosh67

Hugely divides opinion on here.

For my 10ps worth I would keep him if I were Ollie. I think this is the best chance he has to be here and I think, although at 23, he looks brow beaten, there is an extraordinary player in there.

I think Ollie has the right skills to put an arm around him and a boot up his arse when needed. Get him fit over the summer, get him feeling he belongs, I see great things from him next season if we keep him.

Not best deployed as deep as he seems to sit and for me he needs to sit behind the striker/s

There was a moment last night, one of the few times he got up the pitch, in the second half where he picked up the ball and ghosted past 3 player like they weren't there, almost in one continuous movement. The flick at the end didn't quite come off but we sat there in the stand and about 4 of us said at the same moment 'haven't seen that since Gascoigne.'

If IF we can get this kid right, we do have a player that I believe can be 'our' Gascoigne. He was compared to him at 18/19 and at 23 it is very much still there. It needs a club with patience, guidance and a bit of love to bring that out. We have always been good at that here.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Morrison on 11:07 - Apr 8 with 4442 viewsMedwayR

He's an incredible player when fit, there were times last night where he tried to make something happen but the others didn't seem to be on the same wavelength but that would improve in time.

I'm not convinced by him in terms of his professionalism but I guess I'd be happy to give him a 1 year deal with an option for the club to extend it into a 2 or 3 year deal.

Poll: Who’s better?

Morrison on 12:12 - Apr 8 with 4391 viewsrichpr

Let's face it - one step over trick in 60+ minutes - 20 meaningless passes backwards - he's obviously got some talent but there are lots of talented players that can't bring it to the pitch. Freeman comes on and does 10 stepover tricks usually with an end product in 20 minutes. Freeman far far far away the better player, better team player. Didn't like Morrison moaning at other R's players.
Morrison on 14:02 - Apr 8 with 4269 viewsDorse

I think that Morrison is highly unlikely to be here next season as things stand. He has, potentially, another 5 competitive* matches between now and the end of the season. If he can show that he: a) wants to be here and b) has something to offer the club in terms of giving us another gear when we need it, then who knows?

It may be an astute financial gamble. With the right contract and a decent season under his belt, it may be a win-win for the club if he is sold. However, history doesn't support this forecast: he has been (or tried to be) Johnny Big-Bollox wherever he's been. It is going to take a significant pulling up of socks for him to turn it around.

* Not really but you know what I mean.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Morrison on 14:32 - Apr 8 with 4241 viewsMonahoop

After watching him last night, he didn't impress me one bit. All the looks and swagger of a Premier League mercenary player, just the type I had hoped we had got rid of after years of his ilk plaguing the team. Once he went off we seemed to play with a bit more assertiveness, but maybe not enough to snatch a point in the end. No, I hope Holloway says bye bye to him next term.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Morrison on 15:06 - Apr 8 with 4197 viewsBoston

Ravel, stick him in a chair and duck under water, pops up he's guilty, drowns he's innocent.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Morrison on 15:17 - Apr 8 with 4186 viewsnadera78

Morrison on 11:07 - Apr 8 by MedwayR

He's an incredible player when fit, there were times last night where he tried to make something happen but the others didn't seem to be on the same wavelength but that would improve in time.

I'm not convinced by him in terms of his professionalism but I guess I'd be happy to give him a 1 year deal with an option for the club to extend it into a 2 or 3 year deal.

"He's an incredible player..."

I keep hearing this and it amuses me no end. Ravel Morrison is 24 years old and this, apparently widely-held, opinion of him is based entirely on his performances in youth team football. Youth team football! It's incredible. He's done absolutely nothing in football, real football that is, to warrant any kind of attention or praise whatsoever. Show me the games he's won for any of his numerous teams. Show me the incredible performances. Show me the game winning goals, the inspiring moments, the...frankly, show me anything that Ravel Morrison has done of note. If you'd never heard the name but simply watched him play you'd assume he was a bog standard Championship footballer, if that.

The Ravel Morrison Story is a perfect parable for the shitty, worthless nature of both modern football and our wider society. I'm actually intrigued to see how long he and his agent can drag this out, sustaining an extremely well paid career year after year based on nothing more than teenage talent and praise from Alex Ferguson. Can he make it to 30?
Morrison on 23:58 - Apr 8 with 3977 viewsNeil_SI

There is no doubt that Morrison is a fantastic player with talent beyond belief and is someone who is able to control matches in a way that others can't. However, in the modern day, it's not possible to compete properly unless you are physically and mentally at your peak. Those who are not as technically gifted have closed the gap with their fitness levels and the majority of players these days are athletes first, which can neutralise those talented footballers who aren't.

After a year of nearly no first-team competitive football, it shows on Morrison. He desperately needs minutes under his belt to find momentum, but he also needs to apply himself properly and dedicate himself properly to his craft. If he doesn't do that, he will never realise his potential and a lot of this is down to his character and attitude. That has to change, and he has to grow up and mature in order to reach the heights he's capable of.

Personally, I think he is a brilliant player, but at the same time, I can't see how he will ever really make it if he fell foul to both Sir Alex Ferguson and Sam Allardyce, two of the best at getting into the heads of youngsters and setting them on the right path. I'm not sure Ian Holloway quite has that in him for the kind of profile and make up that Morrison is.

It's up to Morrison in the end. He needed the minutes against Brighton, and he divided opinion, with some irritated at his performance because it was an opportunity to show what he can do and that he didn't really take it. But, even with his ability, it's really hard when you've not played for pretty much a season and a half to suddenly turn up against sharp athletes and turn it on. Good, but not that good. Every Champion trains like a Champion at all times. That's what makes the best what they are and were.

Paul Gascogine was absolutely amazing in his time, but he played at a time when it was acceptable that players didn't have to train as hard and look after themselves. In today's reality that's not acceptable, and you'll be found out if so. Even Gazza would struggle in today's football world, because he would not be able to cope physically unless he took that as seriously as the rest.

Morrison is fortunate we've given him an opportunity to stake his claim and re-ignite his career, but it's up to him to wake up and take it. It's kind of the same with Adel Taarabt too, you hope these guys realise just how much more they can achieve if they reached the same levels of professionalism and dedication as the others. They'd be *even* better than the best they've shown us to date.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 0:00]
Morrison on 00:17 - Apr 9 with 3953 viewsBlueandWhiteRiot

Les seems to think he is worth taking a punt on. I get the feeling this loan isn't about him getting on the pitch all the time. It's to see if he can get his head right. It's a bit worrying to hear Ollie talk about him not getting ice cream. I am guessing he is not hitting the targets that have been set by the coaching staff. I would like to see him get a chance but it really is up to him.
Login to get fewer ads

Morrison on 00:26 - Apr 9 with 3943 viewsbrad

hes worth a punt....a good player who needs a run of games......give the lad a chance.....i think ollie will do a job on him....make him into a top player for us....
Morrison on 05:40 - Apr 9 with 3835 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I don't think we can under-estimate the fact that since scoring that belter for Wham! at the Lane, and aside of a few games for us in early 2014, he's hardly played any top-grade football in six years.

That's a long time to be inert! Getting physically fit is one thing, which after two months here, he doesn't looks anything like it, but getting 'match fit' is something he looks way off. However, all this is rendered moot when it comes to his mind.

Nothing in this young man's career to date, suggests he has the necessary motivation, professional attitude and desire to even maximum the undoubted skills he was born with. For me, that's the key to it - not sure he's remotely arsed!

This was billed as his last chance and looking at his career, it's all going one way. Listening to Ollie, his application seems questionable and when you compare how hard the lines of Faurlin and Robinson have worked to get back into it after injuries, Morrison has only really needed to get match fit and yet, that seems beyond him. However, that would come and if Olly/QPR said this kid is working hard and displaying the right attitude, then I'd be tempted but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Unless there is a seismic attitudinal change, then not for me by a mile. We've got two shit-houses in JET and Caulker to get rid of, we don't need a third!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Morrison on 08:55 - Apr 9 with 3713 viewsswisscottage

I know Manning's everyone's golden boy at the moment, and I'm a fan myself, but he infuriated me on Friday night.

I lost count of the number of times in the first half Morrison was in acres of space between the Brighton defense and midfield, only for Manning to plonk a Bartonesque 40yd Hollywood pass to noone instead of a simple ball to a player who can make things happen 15 yards right in front of him.

There was another instance shortly before the first goal after Morrison had picked up the ball deep, ghosted past a Brighton player, offloaded to Manning, and continue forward but instead of Manning playing the ball straight back into Morrison's forward path, he instead turned and passed back.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 8:56]
Morrison on 09:12 - Apr 9 with 3678 viewsLblock

NeilSI - a word on Gazza. He trained, boy did he train. It was actually a case of his coaches being worried about him not allowing himself enough recovery time and also obviously what he was doing in that recovery time.
One of Gazzas demons is addiction and ADHT. He was constantly on the move and always wanted to be running, kicking a ball, shooting etc

Unfortunately Ravel seems to be compared due to the same magic in his feet coupled with off the field antics
I want Ravel to do well and I think he could be immense, but if he's not willing to work and buy into the ethos Ollie wants then he has to go. That would be such a shame but the machine here is a sum of the parts - we'll not see an Adel season again.

Over to you Ravel

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Morrison on 09:21 - Apr 9 with 3667 viewsNeil_SI

Morrison on 08:55 - Apr 9 by swisscottage

I know Manning's everyone's golden boy at the moment, and I'm a fan myself, but he infuriated me on Friday night.

I lost count of the number of times in the first half Morrison was in acres of space between the Brighton defense and midfield, only for Manning to plonk a Bartonesque 40yd Hollywood pass to noone instead of a simple ball to a player who can make things happen 15 yards right in front of him.

There was another instance shortly before the first goal after Morrison had picked up the ball deep, ghosted past a Brighton player, offloaded to Manning, and continue forward but instead of Manning playing the ball straight back into Morrison's forward path, he instead turned and passed back.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 8:56]

That's interesting, I thought Manning was excellent, especially in the first-half and don't really recall any Barton-esque hollywood balls.

I thought he was really bright, especially in tight spaces or moments that needed fast reaction times and he recycled the ball very well and timed his first-time passes brilliantly. On top of that, I thought he handled himself well against a strong and in-form Brighton side and he also did well when switching position to left-back, which again, is not easy to do mid-match, especially against one of the best sides in the division.

So, I was very pleased with his performance overall.
Morrison on 09:28 - Apr 9 with 3644 viewsNeil_SI

Morrison on 09:12 - Apr 9 by Lblock

NeilSI - a word on Gazza. He trained, boy did he train. It was actually a case of his coaches being worried about him not allowing himself enough recovery time and also obviously what he was doing in that recovery time.
One of Gazzas demons is addiction and ADHT. He was constantly on the move and always wanted to be running, kicking a ball, shooting etc

Unfortunately Ravel seems to be compared due to the same magic in his feet coupled with off the field antics
I want Ravel to do well and I think he could be immense, but if he's not willing to work and buy into the ethos Ollie wants then he has to go. That would be such a shame but the machine here is a sum of the parts - we'll not see an Adel season again.

Over to you Ravel

Yeah, I'm sure Gazza did train. The football side of it isn't in question as he loved football, but on the physical side, he was a bit like Ricky Hatton in some ways, letting his weight balloon up and then having to work hard to get it under control.

You often heard stories of Gazza having to use bin liners while training to help him shed weight. I think that's too old school for the modern day as the top athletes are generally 'always' or a lot more in shape even when out of season. These days an unfit or overweight player is still likely going to be in fantastic shape versus the average not sporting person, but you couldn't always say that about some players in the past before the use of science behind nutrition and training improved here.

The amount of injuries Gazza received and the number of operations and surgeries he's had is also another telltale sign of how poorly he looked after himself and didn't get that part right, at all.

The one thing about Ravel to me is that he looks at home and at peace when he's playing football. If that's where he finds his comfort, he should pour everything into it. So yeah, it's very much over to you Ravel.
Morrison on 09:30 - Apr 9 with 3639 viewsWatford_Ranger

We are the battered wives of football fans sometimes.

Get rid.
Morrison on 10:16 - Apr 9 with 3572 viewsPunteR

I don't think you can play the long game with someone like Morrison. Your never going to get the best out of him playing in the reserves and keeping him in the gym. If we're going to take a punt on him then you have to play him like Warwick did with Taraabt.
The difference between Gazza time and now is the amount of money youngsters earn. I get the impression that Morrison can't be arsed because why should he?, he's got the life he wants.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Morrison on 10:19 - Apr 9 with 3559 viewsToast_R

Great passing can put a ball on a sixpence and clearly a step ahead in his reading of the game. I like a maverick and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. A one year deal and a thorough pre season under his belt and I think we'll have one hell of a player. Key is though pre-season. He should dedicate his whole summer to getting in shape and sharp Ale Faurlin style.
Morrison on 10:36 - Apr 9 with 3520 viewsRoller

Morrison on 10:19 - Apr 9 by Toast_R

Great passing can put a ball on a sixpence and clearly a step ahead in his reading of the game. I like a maverick and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. A one year deal and a thorough pre season under his belt and I think we'll have one hell of a player. Key is though pre-season. He should dedicate his whole summer to getting in shape and sharp Ale Faurlin style.

While I can understand your argument about a one year deal, he still has two years to go on his contract at Lazio. How much would you pay for someone who could then walk away a year later, and would he give up the security of a two year contract for a shorter one? And all this for a player who can't be bothered to get fit for his latest last chance.
Morrison on 11:11 - Apr 9 with 3479 viewsDejR_vu

I don't think you can win with Morrison.

He's had so many chances and not taken them it's pretty unlikely this will be any different. But even if it was and he sorted himself out, I suspect his advisers would be looking for a move at the first opportunity, so someone else would benefit from us taking the risk.

I'm not even convinced he's that good anyway. I think Adel had more talent in his little finger.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 11:12]

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Morrison on 11:30 - Apr 9 with 3457 viewsbosh67

Morrison on 11:11 - Apr 9 by DejR_vu

I don't think you can win with Morrison.

He's had so many chances and not taken them it's pretty unlikely this will be any different. But even if it was and he sorted himself out, I suspect his advisers would be looking for a move at the first opportunity, so someone else would benefit from us taking the risk.

I'm not even convinced he's that good anyway. I think Adel had more talent in his little finger.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2017 11:12]

Adel had a real touch of genius about him and was a different type of player. The weird thing is that Morrison is ultimately a much more team orientated type of player, even though his mentality says different.

Personally, if anyone, and I mean anyone can get the full potential of this lad out of him and integrated into a team then they have an absolute game changing player there.

But it is up to him to earn that chance here. I believe we are the right club to bring that player out. If he is best advised he would take a sensible one year deal here next season, get him head down and show exactly what he can do. He finds this game easy, perhaps easier than Adel but if he can apply that then like Adel, we potentially have a player who can win a game on his own.

The other night when he picked up the ball a few times I was willing him to just go on his own because I think if he had a bit more of a selfish mentality on the pitch he would walk through most defences like they weren't there.

Anyway, we shall see. I think with Freeman, Manning, Morrison, Yeni, Luongo, Lua Lua (who we should sign), a fit Cousins, Goss, Wszołek , Petrasso and Shodipo we have the bases of an outstanding midfield next season.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Morrison on 11:39 - Apr 9 with 3440 viewsToast_R

Morrison on 10:36 - Apr 9 by Roller

While I can understand your argument about a one year deal, he still has two years to go on his contract at Lazio. How much would you pay for someone who could then walk away a year later, and would he give up the security of a two year contract for a shorter one? And all this for a player who can't be bothered to get fit for his latest last chance.

There must be a way round it, a Rob Green style 2nd year triggered by appearances.
Morrison on 12:06 - Apr 9 with 3405 viewsNW5Hoop

Been here three months, and still the size of an elephant. Which suggests to be that Holloway hasn't had much success getting inside his head and motivating him.

What you always hear about Morrison is: "The things he does in training are incredible." And he remains most famous for a goal he scored in England U21 training. Well, if there were any sign of that on the pitch, I might be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. But there isn't. So I'm not.
Morrison on 12:47 - Apr 9 with 3363 viewsdavman

I think it is all irrelevant as Ollie is pretty clear in what he says that he doesn't want Ravel at the club. In the sky interview, he moaned about how far back Morrison played compared to Freeman when he came on.

That, and other comments indicate to me that Ollie is playing along giving Ravel a chance, but believes that he will fail to take that chance.

This is the same debate as with Adel. What a player, but the baggage is simply too much. He'll leave the game by 26 years old and what a waste...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Morrison on 14:15 - Apr 9 with 3309 viewsNW5Hoop

Morrison on 12:47 - Apr 9 by davman

I think it is all irrelevant as Ollie is pretty clear in what he says that he doesn't want Ravel at the club. In the sky interview, he moaned about how far back Morrison played compared to Freeman when he came on.

That, and other comments indicate to me that Ollie is playing along giving Ravel a chance, but believes that he will fail to take that chance.

This is the same debate as with Adel. What a player, but the baggage is simply too much. He'll leave the game by 26 years old and what a waste...

I think that's an unfair comparison. For all his many faults, Adel managed one season of week-to-week brilliance, and though he got slated thereafter, he was also our best player — when he got a game - in the two subsequent seasons. Whereas Morrison has never had more than fleeting moments of displaying promise.
Morrison on 15:10 - Apr 9 with 3256 viewskensalriser

Maverick my arse. That epithet needs to be earnt.

He would be an incredible player if he had the ambition but all the evidence so far is that he's every bit as dopey as he looks.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024