Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford 19:45 - Jan 25 with 29169 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/54026/match-preview-rochdal

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:36 - Jan 26 with 2237 viewsfunkkk

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:33 - Jan 26 by judd

Let’s get a game keeper!

Don’t talk to me about keepers.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:43 - Jan 26 with 2198 viewstony_roch975

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 21:53 - Jan 26 by 49thseason

BBM has accumulated a team that physically isn't really capable of competing in this division,
Man for man, the Dale players are giving away inches in height and several pounds in weight, which culminates in every Dale player being worn down by every challenge and every contact with the opposition. Their willingness to try and compete is , by and large exemplary but in the final analysis, a good big;un, beats a good little'un 90% of the time.

It wouldn't be too bad if we had amazing pace in the team but mostly we don't. This is what happens when your recruitment is the equivalent of the seagull flying behind the trawler... we pick up the sprats, the broken toy, the injury prone, the lightweight, the one with no real pace or no height, the one who needs a split second too long, the one who lacks a real sense of urgency, and too many with too little experience. yes we have O'Connell, McShane Lund, Rathbone and Humphries but L1 is unforgiving and teams exploit every crack and niche and our best side, were it ever available, would be tested to the point of destruction every week ,sometimes twice a week.

Sometimes it looks like this team of misfits might just be successful, but there are no easy games in this division and the other teams are prepared to simply run us over if playing actual football doesn't look like working. They use their strength, height and power, we don't really have any answer to it.

I cant blame BBM, he is playing with a deck of cards stacked against him and with no cash to speak of and no hardened senior players to call on. He does what he can, its an impossible position to be in. Its time the board either put its hand in its pockets or found someone who will.

Agreed we get outmuscled and that's been true for most of the last decade - Roberts & Newby were examples again tonight. But we don't have a rich owner on the Board and when the americans came with an offer last year they got short shrift from most on here. Obviously like Accy we could try and build a cheap side with more muscle but less technique (you don't get pace, power and technique on the cheap) but would fans enjoy watching a Coleman-type team?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:46 - Jan 26 with 2171 viewsNafelad

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:43 - Jan 26 by tony_roch975

Agreed we get outmuscled and that's been true for most of the last decade - Roberts & Newby were examples again tonight. But we don't have a rich owner on the Board and when the americans came with an offer last year they got short shrift from most on here. Obviously like Accy we could try and build a cheap side with more muscle but less technique (you don't get pace, power and technique on the cheap) but would fans enjoy watching a Coleman-type team?

Yes, if we managed to win games!

Topcat

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:50 - Jan 26 with 2148 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 21:11 - Jan 26 by TVOS1907

Not necessarily James, because the philosophy - any philosophy - needs to include the basics of defending.

Are our players bad defenders or are they just defending badly because of the way they're being coached and told to play?

I don't know the answer, but what I do know is it can't continue and with around half of the season still to play, it's not too late to change it.

But isn't the way we 'defend' part of the philosophy? Passing it around at the back to pull the opposition out of position to then go on and mount an attack.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:50 - Jan 26 with 2144 viewstony_roch975

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 21:25 - Jan 26 by NorthernDale

Our poor defending is getting tiresome, I accept that we can make excuses that we are missing O'Connell and McShane, but our defence is a misnomer, in that we seem to lack the ability to do so. I feel sorry for the forwards, we have to score three and hope we will get a draw. I was losing patience with the number of times that we passed it back to Bazuna or the number of times he came out of the box, and operated like an outfield player, which may be the reason, he was caught out in at the end. Is there no communication between the defence and keeper? The positives is that Roberts and Osho played well, but they are still relatively inexperienced.

I know results in general, went for us tonight, with Bristol Rovers drawing and Wigan, Wimbledon and Swindon losing, but this will not always be the case. I am sorry to say that BBM may take us down with such tactics and a seemingly inability to rectify the defence problems, we are crying out for a left back, but instead he thinks Keohane and Done are good enough, when they are not.

i have no doubt BBM will say they played well and he is gutted for them, but what does that make record two wins in thirteen or fourteen games (I may be wrong on this and if so I apologise), which is extremely poor by anyone's standards.

Keohane & Done had good games tonight - as the Player ratings show

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:51 - Jan 26 with 2136 viewsTVOS1907

Admittedly it's only from highlights, but they seem very watchable this season.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:54 - Jan 26 with 2121 viewsjudd

Are we enjoying watching our team now?

Have we enjoyed watching our team for the past 4 seasons?

It’s what the result says at the end of the game that counts in this business. We can’t win.

As I suggested earlier, the current executive is content with spinning income statements pre season ticket sales and that we had a ready made goal scoring replacement at left back before spending equal amounts on on and off field recruits.

Nepotism has got us into this position that we may possibly survive this season but eventually our luck will extinguish.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:56 - Jan 26 with 2096 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:50 - Jan 26 by James1980

But isn't the way we 'defend' part of the philosophy? Passing it around at the back to pull the opposition out of position to then go on and mount an attack.

Passing it around at the back didn't cost us any goals tonight - just weak defending and mistakes.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 23:22 - Jan 26 with 2016 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:56 - Jan 26 by dingdangblue

Passing it around at the back didn't cost us any goals tonight - just weak defending and mistakes.

But are the players too focused in training practicing the former when the latter is necessary in a game it goes wrong?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 23:22 - Jan 26 with 2010 views49thseason

I would stand on cinders in the pouring rain if we were winning games regularly. People have no interest in being associated with a team that can't win. The last 4 seasons at home have been awful and the crowds have and will reflect those performances. in the past 4 seasons to date, our points per home game have been:
17/18 1.3
18/19 1.21
19/20 1.18
20/21 0.75
(No subject) (n/t) on 23:23 - Jan 26 with 2010 views49thseason

points per home game over the last 4 seasons:
17/18 1.3
18/19 1.21
19/20 1.18
20/21 0.75

We have won 20 home games since August 2017

This is not the way to attract supporters.

[Post edited 26 Jan 2021 23:26]
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 23:23 - Jan 26 with 2014 views442Dale

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:50 - Jan 26 by James1980

The emphasis has got to shift onto defending first. It’s not that we are conceding all the time by passing around but that’s where the focus clearly is, that then impacts everything else. See Roberts run forward in the second half - his first thought needs to be on what that will create behind him. It’s not. That’s the philosophy that needs looking at. Change the mindset, change the result.

Listening to BBM afterwards, not sure he’s getting that. And yet he knows that’s something more basic that’s worked two years ago. Right now we don’t want to hear about the process if the process has flaws.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 23:30 - Jan 26 with 1988 views442Dale

We don’t need a Coleman-type team. We need a BBM-type team that went to a Coleman-type team on two occasions and won twice. A team that was focused on keeping the ball out of the net and allowing the talented forward thinking players to win the game. Right now we have forwards who can do that, yet we don’t have a defensive structure of those BBM teams to focus on what the obvious issue is.

It really doesn’t need to be like this, there’s enough in the squad to be at least six points better off than we are right now. That we aren’t is due to a failure in reverting back to what we know has worked. Nothing more, nothing less.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 23:35 - Jan 26 with 1955 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 23:22 - Jan 26 by James1980

But are the players too focused in training practicing the former when the latter is necessary in a game it goes wrong?

We can't know that as fans James.

You're over-thinking things again.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 23:50 - Jan 26 with 1917 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 23:35 - Jan 26 by TVOS1907

We can't know that as fans James.

You're over-thinking things again.

Yes I am over thinking . However something must be missing in training that is leading to us conceding so many goals especially.

On their winner does it look like was Bazunu trying to put out or pass it to Keohane watched it a few times and I am not at all sure.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 23:58 - Jan 26 with 1889 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 23:50 - Jan 26 by James1980

Yes I am over thinking . However something must be missing in training that is leading to us conceding so many goals especially.

On their winner does it look like was Bazunu trying to put out or pass it to Keohane watched it a few times and I am not at all sure.

Need to see it again, to be honest James.

Bottom line is, with time almost up, just get rid, regardless of philosophy.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 00:08 - Jan 27 with 1871 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 23:58 - Jan 26 by TVOS1907

Need to see it again, to be honest James.

Bottom line is, with time almost up, just get rid, regardless of philosophy.

I think he did try to get rid to be honest and just fluffed his lines. The fact he was so far out at that stage instead of leaving it for Osho to deal with was the problem.

One thing in defence of BBM that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere on the thread. Look at that bench. We've only been able to make 1 sub in each of our last two games I think, largely down to the fact that the squad is incredibly thin. The option is there to make 5, if we make 5 we could end up with a youth team out on the pitch whereas other teams can make 5 changes and bring on 5 seasoned pros to completely change the game.

That does not however forgive the home record or the defensive record of late. Yes we need some more players, but we've all seen enough in the last two games to suggest we could and arguably even should have won both. It absolutely comes down to mentality - it's no surprise that those 2 wins in the last 17 games have been in games where the opposition have essentially folded. Whenever we're in a battle, I expect us to lose it because we don't have the experience or the winning mentality required to beat smarter, stronger teams than us.

Dispose of the philosophy just for a month or two please Brian and let's see the kind of performances (or more importantly, the results) that you got at the end of the 18/19 season. The development of the players is secondary at this moment because right now, we need to win. You need to win.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 06:46 - Jan 27 with 1627 viewsdingdangblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 00:08 - Jan 27 by AtThePeake

I think he did try to get rid to be honest and just fluffed his lines. The fact he was so far out at that stage instead of leaving it for Osho to deal with was the problem.

One thing in defence of BBM that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere on the thread. Look at that bench. We've only been able to make 1 sub in each of our last two games I think, largely down to the fact that the squad is incredibly thin. The option is there to make 5, if we make 5 we could end up with a youth team out on the pitch whereas other teams can make 5 changes and bring on 5 seasoned pros to completely change the game.

That does not however forgive the home record or the defensive record of late. Yes we need some more players, but we've all seen enough in the last two games to suggest we could and arguably even should have won both. It absolutely comes down to mentality - it's no surprise that those 2 wins in the last 17 games have been in games where the opposition have essentially folded. Whenever we're in a battle, I expect us to lose it because we don't have the experience or the winning mentality required to beat smarter, stronger teams than us.

Dispose of the philosophy just for a month or two please Brian and let's see the kind of performances (or more importantly, the results) that you got at the end of the 18/19 season. The development of the players is secondary at this moment because right now, we need to win. You need to win.

It's great saying that but in 18/19 we had Lonergan in goal and Ebanks Landell in defence. Put those 2 in last night's team and we get a point - or even 3.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 07:06 - Jan 27 with 1613 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 23:23 - Jan 26 by 442Dale

The emphasis has got to shift onto defending first. It’s not that we are conceding all the time by passing around but that’s where the focus clearly is, that then impacts everything else. See Roberts run forward in the second half - his first thought needs to be on what that will create behind him. It’s not. That’s the philosophy that needs looking at. Change the mindset, change the result.

Listening to BBM afterwards, not sure he’s getting that. And yet he knows that’s something more basic that’s worked two years ago. Right now we don’t want to hear about the process if the process has flaws.

"Our defensive structure is improving every game" are you sure Brian, the goals against would kind of disagree with you.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 07:59 - Jan 27 with 1535 viewspioneer

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 22:00 - Jan 26 by DaleiLama

Expect to read on the OS tomorrow we have brought in a Vitamin D supplements manager

Maybe herbalife would help....anyone know of a bloke who might be able to help?
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 08:08 - Jan 27 with 1513 viewsnordenblue

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 07:59 - Jan 27 by pioneer

Maybe herbalife would help....anyone know of a bloke who might be able to help?

Ronaldo?
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 09:29 - Jan 27 with 1398 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 06:46 - Jan 27 by dingdangblue

It's great saying that but in 18/19 we had Lonergan in goal and Ebanks Landell in defence. Put those 2 in last night's team and we get a point - or even 3.

We also played with some defensive organisation and game management. Add those 2 to last night's performance and we get a point - or even 3.

I'm seeing enough in games to suggest we are capable of winning them - we've been ahead in four of our last five games and not won any of them. Yes we need some new players but it's not down to a lack of players alone.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 10:38 - Jan 27 with 1248 viewsDaleiLama

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 09:29 - Jan 27 by AtThePeake

We also played with some defensive organisation and game management. Add those 2 to last night's performance and we get a point - or even 3.

I'm seeing enough in games to suggest we are capable of winning them - we've been ahead in four of our last five games and not won any of them. Yes we need some new players but it's not down to a lack of players alone.

Who'd be in BBM's shoes? Caught between a rock and a hard place. Listening to his interview, you'd think we were 10 places up the table. He is fiercely clinging to the old adage that if you do things the right way the results will look after themselves. The defence isn't doing the right things though and the results aren't going the right way for the reasons rehashed for the umpteenth time on each subsequent match thread. It's at the point for me now that one starts to wonder if madness has set in with BBM (keep doing the same thing but expecting a different outcome).

I share your opinion that we aren't a million miles away. But keep trying to fill a bucket with a hole in it from a leaky hose pipe isn't working. There is also nothing to suggest it will suddenly start working, either, without some much needed changes. Ultimately, if those changes aren't made on the pitch, they will probably be made to his tenure. That, for me, would be a shame as it's been a while since we've been knocking goals in like this.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 10:43 - Jan 27 with 1235 viewsjonahwhereru

Desperate end to the game last night, reminiscent of stuff in the dark days.

I would not normally be celebrating the availability of JM but think Saturday gives us a chance to play Roberts in front of the back four. Think he could do a job there and tighten us up. That would allow either Dooley or Baah to drop to the bench and make us more solid.

The window is drawing to a close. I go to bloodstock auctions and towards the end of the catalogue the auctioneer will say “get the ones you want, not the ones that are left”. Its to late for us this window. Although there are probably plenty left, most of the quality has been taken. The board hold onto the dice so tightly they never look like rolling them. Not good enough on their part i’m afraid. Most teams in the division have net increased their squads, we haven’t. It’s sort of getting to now or never time. We can’t wait on getting players back.

I am loosing patience with the board more than the team management. P-ss or get off the pot.
Match Thread: Rochdale vs Oxford on 11:41 - Jan 27 with 1126 viewsJPSDale

BBM is a good coach, probably much better than Robinson, but Robinsons team had an eye on the basic football objective - win the game. They fouled in midfield when we were on the break, they went long from the back when under pressure, it was about the win.

I know it was a great game for neutral, but Im not a neutral. I know Morley nearly won it for us, but he didnt

We are conceding lots of goals which are considered individual mistakes - but the ball spends too much time being passed around our 18 yard box allowing the opposition to "press". The press reduce the space and mistakes are made, ball nicked off us near our goal and chances created.

The only person who seems to be allowed to knock it long is the goal keeper - and teams know it, they know how we play, they know we will not knock i long from full back or centre back around our box as only the keeper can do it, so keep pressing. We are predictable and easy to play against.

I want us to play football, but we need to occasionally win games more than the philosophy debate. We need to reduce the involvement and thus pressure of our keeper so he is a GOALKEEPER, not Beckenbauer.

Even Guardiola goes long sometimes.... When BBM came in, Wilbraham returned and gave us a presence up front, held it up and brought others on. Humph can do this job today - and he can move a bit as well !

A little change in what the players are asked to do will go a long way in terms of points in the bag
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024