Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton, Stick or twist? 19:06 - Apr 2 with 72902 viewsRangersDave

Ok, so we arent doing as well as most of us thought we would.

However, we all know we should have had a new striker in during the last window, but didnt and this appears it might have been a mistake.

If form continues the way it is, Stoke etc will beat us, and we will be almost where we were last season......ergo no real improvement, and a squad thats fat, old, lazy, or comtractually obliged to play every game.

However, next season will need more players, as some will be leaving us, so who do you want to pick those players and next seasons formations?

So, do we keep Warburton (Stick) or do we get rid (twist)

I will start this........ Twist

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 14:55 - Apr 14 with 3490 viewsNorthantsHoop

With all this talk of Warbs having a rolling contract, this allows both parties to wait until end of the season and part the ways. Probably a decision has been made and it allows for transition in the summer. Shame if Warbs does go, but it's football and 3 years in a job in the topsy turvey maelstrom that is the beautiful game is a pretty decent run. He has done a great job hope he continues but decisions by both parties may already be made.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 04:03 - Apr 15 with 3111 viewsSydneyRs

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 13:55 - Apr 14 by NewBee

@Myke:
"One interesting thing about Warburton's article was when he mentioned that when Brentford reached the play-offs in his first season in Championship, the players suddenly seemed to realise the magnitude of what they could achieve and pretty much folded. He said something like 'I knew then we were not going to succeed' (ie before the play-off games)"

Touch of revisionism going on there, I think.

Fact is, BFC had had a very good 1st half of the season - eg 3rd after beating Cardiff 3-2 away on 20 Dec. However Benham, who will have had access to all the fitness and injury stats etc, was concerned that the squad was too small to cope with the heavy load in the second half of the season. So he offered MW transfer money to reinforce the team in January.

However MW declined, since he feared that new arrivals would disrupt the harmony and team spirit etc. And while results were still ok during Jan and Feb, we had our worst run of the season during Mar and Apr, taking 11 points from 27, before finally snatching a play-off place in our last two games, against a poor Reading team with nothing to play for in 19th, and a dreadful Wigan who were already relegated.

Meaning that by the time the play-offs vs Boro came around, we could all see that the team was out on its feet. And if we were seeing it, the players were surely feeling it.

(As an aside, I wonder whether that experience didn't influence MW in bringing in Sanderson and Hendrick this January, and persisting with them even when they weren't adding much?)

This all sounds slightly familiar. And maybe his fears about new arrivals upsetting team spirit have been realised, the timing of our decline certainly fits.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 07:03 - Apr 15 with 3025 viewsdmm

The rumours of Warburton's departure have strengthened in recent days, particularly with Dave Mc suggesting it's been the case for a while. I know the board are a quiet lot but isn't their silence now speaking rather loudly?

I wouldn't expect them to confirm that Warburton is going but if he's staying, wouldn't they normally issue a statement to that effect?
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:12 - Apr 15 with 2961 viewsdavman

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 07:03 - Apr 15 by dmm

The rumours of Warburton's departure have strengthened in recent days, particularly with Dave Mc suggesting it's been the case for a while. I know the board are a quiet lot but isn't their silence now speaking rather loudly?

I wouldn't expect them to confirm that Warburton is going but if he's staying, wouldn't they normally issue a statement to that effect?

Weird time for speculation. I know that us fans have completely given up on getting to the playoffs, so it would be really strange if that did not spill over to the players, which is the real shame. If they don't believe that they have a chance...

I know that the board can't win, but a week of "WeRTogether" or "BandofBrothers" pulling the club together instead of the space that gets filled with conjecture and supposition might be more of a rallying call. We really are whimpering towards an embarrassing end to the season instead...

Can anyone see a positive result before the end of the season?

Such a frigging shame.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2022 8:13]

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:18 - Apr 15 with 2958 viewsPunteR

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 04:03 - Apr 15 by SydneyRs

This all sounds slightly familiar. And maybe his fears about new arrivals upsetting team spirit have been realised, the timing of our decline certainly fits.

I don't really buy into this team spirit thing much. Its pretty standard thing to have new players coming in in January. Every club does it. It's a given.
The other thing I don't get is our older players running out of steam theory. Surely with all the medical science and management we can get players through a season?. It's not as if Adomah,Austin and Johansen play every game either. Maybe it's just Warburtons man management skills that's the problem..?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:40 - Apr 15 with 2933 viewsDorse

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 04:03 - Apr 15 by SydneyRs

Team spirit is an intangible quality but is consistently shown to be that 'x-factor' that separates a the best from the rest. Look, if you can bear it, at the Hughes / Redknapp teams: on paper, they should have been tearing it up. But the only players we could rely upon to play for the shirt ended up being types like Mackie, Derry, Hill, Faurlin - even Austin - who'd built up that relationship with the club, fans and team.

The spirit at the club going into the Christmas period was clear to see. We were able to suck up the loss 3 first team regulars for AFCON and not lose ground (one of them going on to win the thing!). The much-trumpeted unbeaten January was not a miracle: it was simply a continuation of our decent spirit and belief.

However, I think we can, if pushed, identify where the team spirit / belief question first got asked. This, for me, was a single incident: Sanderson's red card. The reaction to this sending off was completely at odds with when, say, Dickie got sent off. Dickie is, for better or worse, one of our own and we closed ranks. Sanderson, on the other hand, is just visiting and now '...the little fcukwit has just blown it who brought him in what a c unt string him up wouldn't have happened in my day etc etc etc' (c) Twitter. And then he is put straight back into the side, causing the fans to ask again 'why is he replacing the bloke(s) who got us into contention?'

I am not blaming Sanderson especially. It's just that, for this observer, the team spirit question seems to stem from here because Warburton is always on the back foot after it. Bring in CB cover? Tick. Rest key players for the run-in? Tick. Lose said CB cover for 3 games in an important, possibly season-defing sequence? Ah, shit. Then get injuries to players forced to cover the suspension? Bollocks. Have to field questions over your competence at the worst possible time during the most enjoyable season the club's had in years? Yup. I'll get my coat.

Cards on the table, I am not in favour of replacing Warburton. We've all been around long enough to remember what it was like in the post-Ollie (first stint) years when we'd shift managers out after 30 games and replace them with the latest word in managerial excellence only to realise after 704 managers, and Paul Hart, that what we really needed was Neil Warnock... before doing exactly the same the minute we got promoted. Cue another 7 years of the same bullshit. I am sick of this: we have a good manager, better than we fcuking deserve at times, and we're on a bad run. We've had worse. Sack the manager when it's obvious the problem will be solved by doing so. Here, I am not convinced. The DNA of the team is solid, we have good players and when they are all available to us the division has seen what we can do: turns out it was pretty good, and that was with Warburton calling the shots.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 09:11 - Apr 15 with 2865 viewsdmm

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:12 - Apr 15 by davman

Weird time for speculation. I know that us fans have completely given up on getting to the playoffs, so it would be really strange if that did not spill over to the players, which is the real shame. If they don't believe that they have a chance...

I know that the board can't win, but a week of "WeRTogether" or "BandofBrothers" pulling the club together instead of the space that gets filled with conjecture and supposition might be more of a rallying call. We really are whimpering towards an embarrassing end to the season instead...

Can anyone see a positive result before the end of the season?

Such a frigging shame.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2022 8:13]

A positive result? Derby. We just have to beat Derby. We just have to. It would add an extra level of pain and disappointment to our current malaise if we didn't.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:28 - Apr 15 with 2759 viewsgolborne

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:40 - Apr 15 by Dorse

Team spirit is an intangible quality but is consistently shown to be that 'x-factor' that separates a the best from the rest. Look, if you can bear it, at the Hughes / Redknapp teams: on paper, they should have been tearing it up. But the only players we could rely upon to play for the shirt ended up being types like Mackie, Derry, Hill, Faurlin - even Austin - who'd built up that relationship with the club, fans and team.

The spirit at the club going into the Christmas period was clear to see. We were able to suck up the loss 3 first team regulars for AFCON and not lose ground (one of them going on to win the thing!). The much-trumpeted unbeaten January was not a miracle: it was simply a continuation of our decent spirit and belief.

However, I think we can, if pushed, identify where the team spirit / belief question first got asked. This, for me, was a single incident: Sanderson's red card. The reaction to this sending off was completely at odds with when, say, Dickie got sent off. Dickie is, for better or worse, one of our own and we closed ranks. Sanderson, on the other hand, is just visiting and now '...the little fcukwit has just blown it who brought him in what a c unt string him up wouldn't have happened in my day etc etc etc' (c) Twitter. And then he is put straight back into the side, causing the fans to ask again 'why is he replacing the bloke(s) who got us into contention?'

I am not blaming Sanderson especially. It's just that, for this observer, the team spirit question seems to stem from here because Warburton is always on the back foot after it. Bring in CB cover? Tick. Rest key players for the run-in? Tick. Lose said CB cover for 3 games in an important, possibly season-defing sequence? Ah, shit. Then get injuries to players forced to cover the suspension? Bollocks. Have to field questions over your competence at the worst possible time during the most enjoyable season the club's had in years? Yup. I'll get my coat.

Cards on the table, I am not in favour of replacing Warburton. We've all been around long enough to remember what it was like in the post-Ollie (first stint) years when we'd shift managers out after 30 games and replace them with the latest word in managerial excellence only to realise after 704 managers, and Paul Hart, that what we really needed was Neil Warnock... before doing exactly the same the minute we got promoted. Cue another 7 years of the same bullshit. I am sick of this: we have a good manager, better than we fcuking deserve at times, and we're on a bad run. We've had worse. Sack the manager when it's obvious the problem will be solved by doing so. Here, I am not convinced. The DNA of the team is solid, we have good players and when they are all available to us the division has seen what we can do: turns out it was pretty good, and that was with Warburton calling the shots.

Amen on your last paragraph. Unless the board do something stupid, this run has taken MW out of the shop window, as per hopefully CW injury and operation. This team are mostly babies, learning their trade at this level. Many (Dunne, Dickie, Ilias, Chrisie, Lukie, Seny, Field) will likely be better, or stronger players in a year, or two. I think one thing that’s been proved is that the distance was too long for this team at this point and we fell away miserably 2f out, after being one of the brightest early runners. If we can keep the core together, maybe get Sam Mc back next year and add some young on the verge Prem talent on loan, then we’ll be all the better for it. As an aside it’s interesting that they bothered to send Sinclair back out on loan this late in the season. They’re obviously looking to get him as much experience as quickly as possible. Makes me feel confident that there might be something there. The season has essentially been the trials and trivs of supporting a potless small football club. Nothing more, nothing less. I’m 110% behind giving MW another crack at finishing the job. The alternative is far too scary at this point. I don’t want to watch ankle biters for 90 mins, that’s simply not entertaining and there is absolutely no longevity in it. Look what we did in 76, followed by almost 20 years of the same. I want guile and class, not bully tactics scaring the best players off the ball. Speak to the Stoke fans, who simply couldn’t watch it anymore. The reality is there ain’t many teams playing good football in this league. It’s all high intensity and get it forward quickly, there’s no longevity there. Sheff U tried it in the prem and it lasted a season.
Login to get fewer ads

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:45 - Apr 15 with 2724 viewsWelsh_Ranger

Sean Dyche anyone?
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:52 - Apr 15 with 2712 viewsRangersDave

Well, i wonder if it will indeed be a 'good friday' today for the Rrrrs?

Now to be clear, i'm not sure, and the optimist in me wants to see us 'muller' a team again (Reading seems so long ago now).

However, do we have a fit enough team to give it a go? If not what are we going to do? tippy tappy toblerone footy and see if we can get a break and score?

Who will be that capable within the club to actually run with the ball and who is capable enough to read the situation and run with that guy?

Do we have any fit enough 'front liners' that can do this? if not who will suffice ?
Do we put a bet on the keeper getting injured?

Questions questions!

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:56 - Apr 15 with 2704 viewsMyke

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:52 - Apr 15 by RangersDave

Well, i wonder if it will indeed be a 'good friday' today for the Rrrrs?

Now to be clear, i'm not sure, and the optimist in me wants to see us 'muller' a team again (Reading seems so long ago now).

However, do we have a fit enough team to give it a go? If not what are we going to do? tippy tappy toblerone footy and see if we can get a break and score?

Who will be that capable within the club to actually run with the ball and who is capable enough to read the situation and run with that guy?

Do we have any fit enough 'front liners' that can do this? if not who will suffice ?
Do we put a bet on the keeper getting injured?

Questions questions!

This day last year I started the match thread v Coventry with that heading. I correctly called a 3-0 win. How things have changed - the reverse is more likely today
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:38 - Apr 15 with 2668 viewsDorse

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:45 - Apr 15 by Welsh_Ranger

Sean Dyche anyone?

Aargh! Kill it! Kill it with fire!!

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:45 - Apr 15 with 2659 viewsbaz_qpr

I'm a big believer in that you learn and grow from your mistakes, its failure that makes you. In business and especially in tech for example this has become the dominant way of thinking and about thinking about developing and approving products.

Yes in football every now and then someone will come in with the Midas touch and ride a positive wave for a while and then the wheels fall off.

So for me, this is the first big mistake / failure and I think we would be better off learning from it and adjusting in the close season, so keep Warburton, invest in pace and Strikers. We know we lose Willock and or Dickie and possibly Dieng but that gives money to reinvest.

We need balance between experience and youth, but we went too far towards experience this season, and that has cost us through fitness failures. Johansson has looked injured most of the season, Austin has lost all pace, Albert great for half a season has hit the wall, Wallace can't stay fit etc etc

I think its a much bigger gamble to twist than to stick. Give Warburton the summer and see where we are come October, if we are struggling then we make the change as Forest did this year, knowing we have a big World Cup break to install new methods if necessary
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 07:49 - Apr 16 with 2384 viewsDejR_vu

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:45 - Apr 15 by baz_qpr

I'm a big believer in that you learn and grow from your mistakes, its failure that makes you. In business and especially in tech for example this has become the dominant way of thinking and about thinking about developing and approving products.

Yes in football every now and then someone will come in with the Midas touch and ride a positive wave for a while and then the wheels fall off.

So for me, this is the first big mistake / failure and I think we would be better off learning from it and adjusting in the close season, so keep Warburton, invest in pace and Strikers. We know we lose Willock and or Dickie and possibly Dieng but that gives money to reinvest.

We need balance between experience and youth, but we went too far towards experience this season, and that has cost us through fitness failures. Johansson has looked injured most of the season, Austin has lost all pace, Albert great for half a season has hit the wall, Wallace can't stay fit etc etc

I think its a much bigger gamble to twist than to stick. Give Warburton the summer and see where we are come October, if we are struggling then we make the change as Forest did this year, knowing we have a big World Cup break to install new methods if necessary

Let’s hope the people making the decisions have finally, just for once, actually, learnt from their mistakes.

From the highlights it sounded as though the crowd were behind, MW. Nick London was also very keen to point that out.

The club is playing with fire if they show him the door. If they do, and the next appointment doesn’t hit the ground running, the pitchforks will be out very quickly, particularly when MW walks into another job and we have to watch on as they enjoy the great football we’ve been used to.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:02 - Apr 16 with 2359 viewsDejR_vu

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:08 - Apr 14 by T_Block

Warburton has given me hope, he has just been unlucky with his strikers,golkeepers etc etc.
If he goes because he has a better off er fair enough.Every instinct is to stick with him and invest in the best developing young strikers we can afford.
So many steps forward in the last three years.
If he goes I cannot see me renewing my season ticket.All my football mates agree-some of them appear not to be bothered if we have yet another manager. I am getting sick of the lack of a realistic plan based on what money the club has.Endless knee-jerk.Very sad.

Les and Hoos and whoever owns the club seem incapable of looking a gift horse in the mouth and building the club up.

Wycombe Wanderes is less travel and more fun

Seconded. 5 here that won’t be renewing if they show him the door
[Post edited 16 Apr 2022 8:03]

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:12 - Apr 16 with 2334 viewsDejR_vu

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:31 - Apr 14 by dmm

Would many of us not renew our STs if Warburton departed? I'd be surprised if that was the case. After all, just think of some of the shysters we've had as managers over the last 10 years alone and we're still here.

I'll renew whatever happens because, like many, being a longstanding QPR supporter means more than a manager, players, owner, and board members that I agree with/like. However, should Warburton go, I'll renew with a somewhat heavy heart.

Isn’t that the point though? We’ve had so many shysters and charlatans, you just know we’d get another one. MW is the first manager in years that I’ve actually enjoyed, liked, respected and trusted who ‘gets’ the club, works within the constraints without EVER complaining about it, and has done a bloody good job despite it all.

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:27 - Apr 16 with 2290 viewsnix

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:40 - Apr 15 by Dorse

Great post Dorse.

Jamie Mackie called exactly the same yesterday. Injuries have absolutely killed us. I'd also say the loss of form to Chair at a vital time, so it was left to Willock to create, and the cynical targeting of Willock, which unsurprisingly led to him getting injured eventually. And the goalkeeping crisis. I wonder if any team has ever had to play five goalies in a season: not only do you get variations in quality, it must screw up the defence a bit as they don't really know if they can trust them, pass back to them etc. Also, we'd already had to weather the storm when we had four recognised fullbacks out at the same time, so everyone else had to play out of their skins. And missing Dykes and Field for large parts of the season. Also, Amos, who's looked great recently, had to be eased back into the team gently because of his awful injury, so we missed an alternative in midfield.

If we're not taking this into account when assessing how Warbs has done this season, we're idiots.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:44 - Apr 16 with 2245 viewsdavman

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:27 - Apr 16 by nix

Great post Dorse.

Jamie Mackie called exactly the same yesterday. Injuries have absolutely killed us. I'd also say the loss of form to Chair at a vital time, so it was left to Willock to create, and the cynical targeting of Willock, which unsurprisingly led to him getting injured eventually. And the goalkeeping crisis. I wonder if any team has ever had to play five goalies in a season: not only do you get variations in quality, it must screw up the defence a bit as they don't really know if they can trust them, pass back to them etc. Also, we'd already had to weather the storm when we had four recognised fullbacks out at the same time, so everyone else had to play out of their skins. And missing Dykes and Field for large parts of the season. Also, Amos, who's looked great recently, had to be eased back into the team gently because of his awful injury, so we missed an alternative in midfield.

If we're not taking this into account when assessing how Warbs has done this season, we're idiots.

Well I hope that the board break that trend of looking like idiots. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and waddles like a duck...

To me, I really hope that this is a case of whether Warburton wants to stay or go. If HE thinks he can push on with whatever help he can get from the board in terms of players in, then I'd trust him. If he doesn't, then it has to be a time for a change. The last two games have given me a bit more hope that this team can play differently. A fit De Wijs back alongside Jimmy Dunne with Field in front of them is the base of a great spine. Amos / Dozzell /Jojo if he gets back to it adds to that leaving strikers - one with pace and one who can actually hold the ball up (we currently have neither of these essential attributes).

New contract for Moses (if he actually wants to sign) and Ozzie back in the fold for backup. Then it's two left sided full backs and we're away again, surely?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 09:24 - Apr 16 with 2158 viewszizoustainrod

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:18 - Apr 15 by PunteR

I don't really buy into this team spirit thing much. Its pretty standard thing to have new players coming in in January. Every club does it. It's a given.
The other thing I don't get is our older players running out of steam theory. Surely with all the medical science and management we can get players through a season?. It's not as if Adomah,Austin and Johansen play every game either. Maybe it's just Warburtons man management skills that's the problem..?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 09:24 - Apr 16 with 2158 viewsdanehoop

Now cards on the table time, I want Warbs to stay.

Reasons are pretty simple. In the time he has been with us we have seen massive improvements in style and consistency of how we play and steady improvement in league position. That has been done on a playing budget which is has been halved for 3 years in a row. To achieve what he has against that context is astonishing in itself, but add to that the development of players that we have had with us and he and his team are clearly doing a great job.

Against that, we had a bad 6 weeks, mainly through critical injuries and suspensions which have cost us in all probability the play off place we thought was in our grasp. Some questions over the January reinforcements perhaps with the benefit of hindsight, but that needs to be seen against was known by management about the squad at the time and what was available to us. Had we not suffered injuries and suspensions I suspect we would probably have seen less of the January signings so quickly or all at once. That did undoubtedly unsettle things, but not sure any manager would have done particularly well in the circumstances.

The other big question is who would replace Warbs and be able to continue to the progress made on and off the pitch without wholesale changes of personnel? Given our budget there isnt exactly a big cast list out there of credible candidates who will be prepared and likely to deliver what we want. Dyche is no chance and doesnt fit the brief of footballing style, nor will he be in our price range. Probably only realistic option is Eustace - but is Warby's deputy really going to be an improvement on Warbys and will he actually want the job given we would have pulled the rug on his boss for seemingly performing a small miracle?

Other key issue here is what are fans realistic expectations of a small Championship side with minimal income? Basically for me any year that we get above mid table and even get a sniff of the playoffs currently is a good season given the resources we have. If we can do that playing good football and sustainably then we are doing brilliantly. My fear is if we throw Warbs out now we are more likely to see us going backwards than forwards.

Never knowingly understood

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:22 - Apr 16 with 2034 viewsHunterhoop

Not sure if it’s been noted by anyone, but personally, I have been impressed with this change in shape.

It looks like a flat 442 at times, a 442 diamond at others, and when we’re on the front foot, a 433 with the full backs bombing on.

We looked wide open to simple long balls in the first half at Huddersfield, and obviously conceded 2 against Preston as well with it, so there are clearly issues. Dunne nor Barbet look comfortable in a back 4. Dunne in particular has looked very shaky ever since he was moved away from being the enforcer in the middle of a 3 where he knew he had cover behind when he stepped up to challenge for it. Now, he slightly hesitates and is losing a lot, as well as having his lack of pace shown up. He doesn’t look hugely comfortable defending when running towards his own goal.

I’d like to see De Wijs back, and with a full pre season see if there is a combination that we can make work.

Having 2 or 3 systems we can play makes it so much harder for opposition managers to plan against.

Being able to play a back 4 against weaker sides will give us an extra man in midfield or up top to help break them down.

It’s promising. I still felt, in the first half in particular, it was just San Field in the middle, with Dozzell, and Amos not really giving him much support and just getting beaten too often in 50/50s or by a player running past them.

So lots to work on, but positive. And positive Warburton has come up with this change. It’s obviously 5-6 games too late, but it’s still encouraging.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:00 - Apr 16 with 1959 viewsfrancisbowles

Hunter, with all of our senior players out of the staring line up, do you think the extra legs in that flexible diamond were a major factor in making it work?
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:40 - Apr 16 with 1869 viewsHunterhoop

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:00 - Apr 16 by francisbowles

Hunter, with all of our senior players out of the staring line up, do you think the extra legs in that flexible diamond were a major factor in making it work?

I think the extra legs in any formation help. I’ve been saying it for months that Johansen is a passenger when he doesn’t have the ball at his feet. He’s still one of our better players with it, but you can’t afford to have passengers when you aren’t playing well as a team.

Our midfielders have scored 6 goals this season and Amos has 5 of them in spite of missing the first 3 months and not being picked in about half of the games since. Why does he score them? He’s the only midfielder with the legs to get into the box on time AND get back if the move breaks down.

Field has to hold, but when you’re playing Johansen with him or Hendrick or both, who is getting into the box?

Whether we play a diamond, 433, 4231, or 3421, I’d have Amos in the side for legs, and, until he shows he’s fitter, I’d only play Johansen instead of Chair or Willock, but then he’s not starting, is he?

I actually do think we’re short of an “all round central midfielder”, and think that’s what they were aiming for in Hendrick, but he’s just not good enough or trying 100%, and we have midfielders we need to make do.

Field, Amos, and Dozzell could develop into a lovely 3 man midfield given their respective ages. Holder/Tackler, Legs, Passing. Then you can play 3 from Willock, Chair, Thomas, and whatever forwards we have.

The issue next year is how much of our salary budget is going to Johansen and Austin, when they’re not contributing. It makes financing the starting XI hard.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:45 - Apr 16 with 1857 viewsAntti_Heinola

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:22 - Apr 16 by Hunterhoop

Not sure if it’s been noted by anyone, but personally, I have been impressed with this change in shape.

It looks like a flat 442 at times, a 442 diamond at others, and when we’re on the front foot, a 433 with the full backs bombing on.

We looked wide open to simple long balls in the first half at Huddersfield, and obviously conceded 2 against Preston as well with it, so there are clearly issues. Dunne nor Barbet look comfortable in a back 4. Dunne in particular has looked very shaky ever since he was moved away from being the enforcer in the middle of a 3 where he knew he had cover behind when he stepped up to challenge for it. Now, he slightly hesitates and is losing a lot, as well as having his lack of pace shown up. He doesn’t look hugely comfortable defending when running towards his own goal.

I’d like to see De Wijs back, and with a full pre season see if there is a combination that we can make work.

Having 2 or 3 systems we can play makes it so much harder for opposition managers to plan against.

Being able to play a back 4 against weaker sides will give us an extra man in midfield or up top to help break them down.

It’s promising. I still felt, in the first half in particular, it was just San Field in the middle, with Dozzell, and Amos not really giving him much support and just getting beaten too often in 50/50s or by a player running past them.

So lots to work on, but positive. And positive Warburton has come up with this change. It’s obviously 5-6 games too late, but it’s still encouraging.

I think any hopes of De Wijs coming back and staying fit long enough to build a defence around him are fanciful at best, I'm afraid. I also think that, with experience, Dunne can and will be a far better player. Bit of patience needed with him. I agree with your points about weaknesses, but I actually thought we defended well yesterday - first goal was poor, but second really was a fantastic cross and header. Also, we have a keeper not particularly comfortable with the ball at his feet (although he did well yesterday I thought), which has an effect. In short, I'd forget about Doomsday. It ain't happening.

Bare bones.

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 12:39 - Apr 16 with 1736 viewsdmm

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:12 - Apr 16 by DejR_vu

Isn’t that the point though? We’ve had so many shysters and charlatans, you just know we’d get another one. MW is the first manager in years that I’ve actually enjoyed, liked, respected and trusted who ‘gets’ the club, works within the constraints without EVER complaining about it, and has done a bloody good job despite it all.

Sure, I get what you're saying and agree with your comments on Warburton.

Having supported QPR since a lad, I guess I can't imagine life not going to games and I think there's a lot like me. In the final analysis, for me my club means more than any manager, even one as good as Warburton.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024