Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warburton, Stick or twist? 19:06 - Apr 2 with 72907 viewsRangersDave

Ok, so we arent doing as well as most of us thought we would.

However, we all know we should have had a new striker in during the last window, but didnt and this appears it might have been a mistake.

If form continues the way it is, Stoke etc will beat us, and we will be almost where we were last season......ergo no real improvement, and a squad thats fat, old, lazy, or comtractually obliged to play every game.

However, next season will need more players, as some will be leaving us, so who do you want to pick those players and next seasons formations?

So, do we keep Warburton (Stick) or do we get rid (twist)

I will start this........ Twist

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:13 - Apr 14 with 2905 viewsR_from_afar

He may be leaving simply because *he* wants to.

There again, we are reacting to rumours at the moment.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:27 - Apr 14 with 2842 viewsNorthernr

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 07:34 - Apr 14 by davman

None of us appear to know any details and a lot of this is pure speculation, but maybe, just maybe, this is not the club's decision? Maybe Warburton's head has been turned by another job somewhere? He's approaching retirement age, so one more payday?

He may be aware that this season was a kind of "all or nothing" with the board spending the last of the P&S gamble fund in the summer faced with the probability of yet another wage purge? Maybe in January, he saw the future when we couldn't raise any more transfer fees and didn't fancy having to see yet another period of halving the wage bill and having to improve?

We already know we spend around £1m per month more than we earn, whilst still being in the lower half of the wage payers in the Championship, so maybe, just maybe, it needs to be a wholesale sale of any assets we have to balance the books, then another rebuild with a League One type wage cut?

Maybe he thought one miracle is all I can afford for this club?

... Or maybe I am making it all up...

If they have genuinely decided to get rid, getting rid before the end of this season might not be a bad thing....

Never boring, eh?

The one that made most sense was that FA development role he got linked with this time last year.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 08:29 - Apr 14 with 2838 viewsDejR_vu

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 07:34 - Apr 14 by davman

None of us appear to know any details and a lot of this is pure speculation, but maybe, just maybe, this is not the club's decision? Maybe Warburton's head has been turned by another job somewhere? He's approaching retirement age, so one more payday?

He may be aware that this season was a kind of "all or nothing" with the board spending the last of the P&S gamble fund in the summer faced with the probability of yet another wage purge? Maybe in January, he saw the future when we couldn't raise any more transfer fees and didn't fancy having to see yet another period of halving the wage bill and having to improve?

We already know we spend around £1m per month more than we earn, whilst still being in the lower half of the wage payers in the Championship, so maybe, just maybe, it needs to be a wholesale sale of any assets we have to balance the books, then another rebuild with a League One type wage cut?

Maybe he thought one miracle is all I can afford for this club?

... Or maybe I am making it all up...

If they have genuinely decided to get rid, getting rid before the end of this season might not be a bad thing....

Never boring, eh?

Fair point. If he does go, I hope it’s this.

Success isn’t linear. He’s done enough, imo, to have another go, if that’s what he wants to do.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:08 - Apr 14 with 2660 viewsT_Block

Warburton has given me hope, he has just been unlucky with his strikers,golkeepers etc etc.
If he goes because he has a better off er fair enough.Every instinct is to stick with him and invest in the best developing young strikers we can afford.
So many steps forward in the last three years.
If he goes I cannot see me renewing my season ticket.All my football mates agree-some of them appear not to be bothered if we have yet another manager. I am getting sick of the lack of a realistic plan based on what money the club has.Endless knee-jerk.Very sad.

Les and Hoos and whoever owns the club seem incapable of looking a gift horse in the mouth and building the club up.

Wycombe Wanderes is less travel and more fun
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:26 - Apr 14 with 2597 viewsDannytheR

Among the many things most of us don't know is what targets the manager was given with his last contract, even if they weren't formally tied into the deal.

I'm playing devil's advocate too here because there are strong arguments to keep Warburton in post. But if you were the club last summer, giving the manager an increased salary, that decision might well have been informed by the expectation we'd now either be getting promoted OR have developed another player who could go elsewhere for serious money.

Both of those are concrete, real world targets, and much as I personally go back and forth about the manager, if they were what was expected/hoped for/promised, then we haven't achieved either of them.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:41 - Apr 14 with 2541 viewsfrancisbowles

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:26 - Apr 14 by DannytheR

Among the many things most of us don't know is what targets the manager was given with his last contract, even if they weren't formally tied into the deal.

I'm playing devil's advocate too here because there are strong arguments to keep Warburton in post. But if you were the club last summer, giving the manager an increased salary, that decision might well have been informed by the expectation we'd now either be getting promoted OR have developed another player who could go elsewhere for serious money.

Both of those are concrete, real world targets, and much as I personally go back and forth about the manager, if they were what was expected/hoped for/promised, then we haven't achieved either of them.

Willock?
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:54 - Apr 14 with 2501 viewsloftus77

IF this is in any way true, then this will be the biggest mistake the club has made since Paul Goddard. IMHO.
Warburton, Stick or twist? (n/t) on 10:55 - Apr 14 with 2497 viewsCamberleyR

[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 10:56]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Login to get fewer ads

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:55 - Apr 14 with 2495 viewsCamberleyR

Given the amount of games he'd already played (107) and would be playing this season (getting up to the 150 mark), the club and Warbs probably had expectations that Chair would be the one this time to have the 'Eze season' (mid teens goals and double figure assists) so that a cash in could be made this summer.

For whatever reason he hasn't had that season but the AFCON in the middle hasn't helped. Since returning from that he hasn't seemed the same player at all.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:07 - Apr 14 with 2445 viewsswitchingcode

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 23:37 - Apr 13 by SydneyRs

Was just looking up Brentford's past managers to see who would be next if we are following them. Wasn't aware that Warburton had the highest win percentage of any their managers (going back to 1900), and by some distance too.

Can't help thinking we are about to make a huge mistake here and I do wonder if its something personal.

Warburton took over a side that was on a 8 match unbeaten run 7 wins 1 draw.He didn’t have that advantage at any of the clubs he joined after.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:12 - Apr 14 with 2426 viewsTheChef

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:54 - Apr 14 by loftus77

IF this is in any way true, then this will be the biggest mistake the club has made since Paul Goddard. IMHO.

Meh, I think we've made some bigger mistakes since Paul Goddard left 42 years ago.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:16 - Apr 14 with 2396 viewsessextaxiboy

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:08 - Apr 14 by T_Block

Warburton has given me hope, he has just been unlucky with his strikers,golkeepers etc etc.
If he goes because he has a better off er fair enough.Every instinct is to stick with him and invest in the best developing young strikers we can afford.
So many steps forward in the last three years.
If he goes I cannot see me renewing my season ticket.All my football mates agree-some of them appear not to be bothered if we have yet another manager. I am getting sick of the lack of a realistic plan based on what money the club has.Endless knee-jerk.Very sad.

Les and Hoos and whoever owns the club seem incapable of looking a gift horse in the mouth and building the club up.

Wycombe Wanderes is less travel and more fun

I hope he stays but I would happily renew today for next year .
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:21 - Apr 14 with 2375 viewsloftus77

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:12 - Apr 14 by TheChef

Meh, I think we've made some bigger mistakes since Paul Goddard left 42 years ago.

True - but that is always the one that sticks with me....

As others have said, it may be that Warbs has had a better offer. A real shame for us if so.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:30 - Apr 14 with 2334 viewsSuperhoop83

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:21 - Apr 14 by loftus77

True - but that is always the one that sticks with me....

As others have said, it may be that Warbs has had a better offer. A real shame for us if so.

For me it was letting Clive Wilson go in 1995.

We recovered from Paul Goddard leaving, but things have never been as good at QPR since 1995.

Suffering since 1978.

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:31 - Apr 14 with 2328 viewsdmm

Would many of us not renew our STs if Warburton departed? I'd be surprised if that was the case. After all, just think of some of the shysters we've had as managers over the last 10 years alone and we're still here.

I'll renew whatever happens because, like many, being a longstanding QPR supporter means more than a manager, players, owner, and board members that I agree with/like. However, should Warburton go, I'll renew with a somewhat heavy heart.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:39 - Apr 14 with 2290 viewsTheChef

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:30 - Apr 14 by Superhoop83

For me it was letting Clive Wilson go in 1995.

We recovered from Paul Goddard leaving, but things have never been as good at QPR since 1995.

Not investing after the 92/93 season.
Spunking the Ferdinand money up the wall.
Missing the PL bubble.
Panama loans.
Vauxhall Motors.
Guns in the boardroom.
Signing Joey Barton.
Appointing Harry Redknapp.
Not fixing the water pressure in the ladies loos.

I mean, I could go on.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:51 - Apr 14 with 2249 viewsBucksRanger

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:39 - Apr 14 by TheChef

Not investing after the 92/93 season.
Spunking the Ferdinand money up the wall.
Missing the PL bubble.
Panama loans.
Vauxhall Motors.
Guns in the boardroom.
Signing Joey Barton.
Appointing Harry Redknapp.
Not fixing the water pressure in the ladies loos.

I mean, I could go on.

QPR didn't start the fire
It was always burning, since FIFA's been turning
QPR didn't start the fire
No, we didn't light it, but we tried to fight it
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:53 - Apr 14 with 2239 viewsMyke

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 11:12 - Apr 14 by TheChef

Maybe, but I dunno which transfer upset me more at the time; Parkes or Goddard.

One interesting thing about Warburton's article was when he mentioned that when Brentford reached the play-offs in his first season in Championship, the players suddenly seemed to realise the magnitude of what they could achieve and pretty much folded. He said something like 'I knew then we were not going to succeed' (ie before the play-off games) I wonder did our players suddenly have that realisation after hammering Reading that not only were the play-offs a real option, but automatic promotion (Bournemouth were faltering at that time) was a possibility. Did the magnitude of what they could achieve hit them and they have pretty much frozen since?
If that is the case then the senior pro's who have been in that position before (Steph/Jeff/Adomah/Austin, even Wallace at Rangers, should have stepped in to reassure the others that it was doable by taking each game as it came and not looking further than that. But also Warburton should have done more to steady the younger players nerves if that was the case. He too had play-off (and promotion) experience in both England and Scotland. Additionally he talked about the huge pressure he was under to perform daily when in Finance as a young man, so that should have stood to him too. If, IF the players froze and he was unable to arrest that, then that must put a question mark over his ability to get us promoted.
He is a very good Championship manager and if we want a safe pair of hands to keep us in the upper half of the Championship which I think I would be happy with overall - no great desire to be back in the Prem. (But then I see Palace and Southampton established there and I think, why not us?) I guess I am conflicted. Bigger picture, no question Warburton has progressed us in three years, but man he is currently presiding over one hell of a collapse and seems unable to stop it.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 12:01 - Apr 14 with 2194 viewsgobbles

Stick!
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 12:22 - Apr 14 with 2124 viewsDannytheR

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 10:55 - Apr 14 by CamberleyR

Given the amount of games he'd already played (107) and would be playing this season (getting up to the 150 mark), the club and Warbs probably had expectations that Chair would be the one this time to have the 'Eze season' (mid teens goals and double figure assists) so that a cash in could be made this summer.

For whatever reason he hasn't had that season but the AFCON in the middle hasn't helped. Since returning from that he hasn't seemed the same player at all.

Agreed. Definitely feels like the expectation with Chair was another Eze-style fee. Again, none of us know exactly why that hasn't happened - but it hasn't and certainly won't this summer.

Of course all this is only speculation, but it doesn't seem far-fetched to think the manager (fairly or unfairly) would be seen as ultimately responsible for that.
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 12:26 - Apr 14 with 2085 viewsdaveB

I think if Warbs got a 2 year contract today you'd have just as many people saying this a joke what are they doing we are in freefall.

For me it's on a par with when Holloway left, can see why they are doing it but feels like he's earnt another season. Who they replace him with will determine if they are right or not, they got it badly wrong when Holloway left
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 13:27 - Apr 14 with 1640 viewssuperhoopdownunder

How does David McIntyre know that Warburton is leaving QPR and that Eustace won't get the job?
If true I would have thought very few people would know this (guessing Hoos, Ferdinand, Amit and other owners probably).
I'd be extremely surprised if this information is leaking from Hoos

I'm not sure whether Warburton should stay or go but this information can be destructive and can't be helping matters.

[Post edited 14 Apr 2022 23:29]
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 13:42 - Apr 14 with 1640 viewsLythamR

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 22:24 - Apr 13 by Northernr

It’s certainly strange. It’ll be right because Dave’s never wrong but he’s tweeting that it’s “been the case for a while” as if it’s old news, without ever publishing a story to that effect. Picturing my boss’ face as I tell him “of course I knew the head of BBC1 is leaving, it’s been the case for a while” without having published a story on it.

The whole thing’s odd really. How on Earth have we got to here this quickly?

"It’ll be right because Dave’s never wrong"

I would change that to "almost never wrong"

He is still known as John Bumstead in certain circles because he promised to change his name if he was wrong on a certain call and he was.

Normally right though to be fair
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 13:55 - Apr 14 with 1632 viewsNewBee

@Myke:
"One interesting thing about Warburton's article was when he mentioned that when Brentford reached the play-offs in his first season in Championship, the players suddenly seemed to realise the magnitude of what they could achieve and pretty much folded. He said something like 'I knew then we were not going to succeed' (ie before the play-off games)"

Touch of revisionism going on there, I think.

Fact is, BFC had had a very good 1st half of the season - eg 3rd after beating Cardiff 3-2 away on 20 Dec. However Benham, who will have had access to all the fitness and injury stats etc, was concerned that the squad was too small to cope with the heavy load in the second half of the season. So he offered MW transfer money to reinforce the team in January.

However MW declined, since he feared that new arrivals would disrupt the harmony and team spirit etc. And while results were still ok during Jan and Feb, we had our worst run of the season during Mar and Apr, taking 11 points from 27, before finally snatching a play-off place in our last two games, against a poor Reading team with nothing to play for in 19th, and a dreadful Wigan who were already relegated.

Meaning that by the time the play-offs vs Boro came around, we could all see that the team was out on its feet. And if we were seeing it, the players were surely feeling it.

(As an aside, I wonder whether that experience didn't influence MW in bringing in Sanderson and Hendrick this January, and persisting with them even when they weren't adding much?)
Warburton, Stick or twist? on 14:46 - Apr 14 with 1579 viewsMyke

Warburton, Stick or twist? on 13:55 - Apr 14 by NewBee

@Myke:
"One interesting thing about Warburton's article was when he mentioned that when Brentford reached the play-offs in his first season in Championship, the players suddenly seemed to realise the magnitude of what they could achieve and pretty much folded. He said something like 'I knew then we were not going to succeed' (ie before the play-off games)"

Touch of revisionism going on there, I think.

Fact is, BFC had had a very good 1st half of the season - eg 3rd after beating Cardiff 3-2 away on 20 Dec. However Benham, who will have had access to all the fitness and injury stats etc, was concerned that the squad was too small to cope with the heavy load in the second half of the season. So he offered MW transfer money to reinforce the team in January.

However MW declined, since he feared that new arrivals would disrupt the harmony and team spirit etc. And while results were still ok during Jan and Feb, we had our worst run of the season during Mar and Apr, taking 11 points from 27, before finally snatching a play-off place in our last two games, against a poor Reading team with nothing to play for in 19th, and a dreadful Wigan who were already relegated.

Meaning that by the time the play-offs vs Boro came around, we could all see that the team was out on its feet. And if we were seeing it, the players were surely feeling it.

(As an aside, I wonder whether that experience didn't influence MW in bringing in Sanderson and Hendrick this January, and persisting with them even when they weren't adding much?)

Interesting. Impossible to know really what has caused our demise. There must be at least one conspiracy theory for every point we have dropped since the end of January. We may never know.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024