Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How long does Ainsworth get? 11:52 - Apr 2 with 25249 views1JD

- 5 defeats in the opening 6 games.
- A football style that is borderline unwatchable.
- Losses to R’ham, Blackpool, Brum, Wigan.
- Rambling interviews that have same sentences that contradict.
- A decision to radically change the style of play, at a critical juncture, that doesn’t fit the players one bit.

To be frank, I’ve never witnessed such a squad-manager mismatch, and I find the appointment unfathomable on so many levels. A great man, for sure. But never in a million years is this a good fit.

Critchley had 12 games. Ainsworth, by the season end, will have had 13 games.

I’m not sure the players believe in Ainsworth. His methods and philosophies are alien to them. Never been an advocate for a rapid change, but the situation has become absolutely dire. Does the club need to act now to give us a fighting chance? As it stands, we are going down.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 10:36 - Apr 5 with 2735 viewsRangersw12

How long does Ainsworth get? on 08:54 - Apr 5 by Wegerles_Stairs

Think back to when we brought in Austin and Johansen. Meant to be a temporary fix to a problem but became a millstone around our neck when we signed them permanently as neither was the player they were even five years ago (surprise, surprise).

This exemplifies the laziness and incompetence of the hierarchy. They should have been identifying young prospects to fill these positions at the end of the loans rather than signing players who had no resale value and were clearly at the latter end of their careers. That's why the likes of Luton and Millwall are where they are and we're where we are in a nutshell. Laziness and incompetence.

Again they listened to the twitter twts who were spamming them everyday demanding they should be signed

Nothing will change until they stop listening to the fans.

It's another reason why we didn't sell Dickie, Seny and Willock when we should have done because people at the club don't want to be seen as unpopular which is a bit ironic now.
[Post edited 5 Apr 2023 10:48]
How long does Ainsworth get? on 10:52 - Apr 5 with 2635 viewsPunteR

How long does Ainsworth get? on 20:32 - Apr 4 by Third_Division_South

Sorry but I’m still not buying it. If we’re running a first team on the slender chance of discovering a £10-25M player and not by employing the best first team possible we are setting ourselves up for season after season of mediocrity. Surely the best business model is to get into the playoffs and promoted into the PL, that’s Luton’s model and it’s doing pretty well.

Problem is QPR haven't been good at either business models. The only thing they've done is lower the wage bill whilst keep us in the championship.
I was thinking recently how this effects the players attitude towards the club. It's similar to when a customer wants the same high end kitchen fitted for half the price.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

How long does Ainsworth get? on 11:14 - Apr 5 with 2585 viewsQPROslo

How long does Ainsworth get? on 09:54 - Apr 5 by terryb

We will have to disagree as to our biggest problem this season!

To me it has been far too many players not giving their all. I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are not trying, but there are not many that I could look at & not question as to whether thay have given everything to the cause*. This even includes players like Dykes, Dunne etc who have gone awol at times, even though they generally give their best.

However, the biggest problem is the five loanees. Every one of these have looked as if they are performing for themselves (at best) & not for the team. Even at the start of the season when Laird looked unplayable, he was still pulling out of all 50/50 challenges. It takes a player of good character to give everything to a club they have been loaned to, & IMO they all lack that attribute.

* They may not be good enough, but Kakay, Drewe & Field are all that pass my test. A case could be made out for Chair & Armstrong, but both of those have resorted to sulking at times. I'm sure others care, but have let the situation drag them down.

You are right, we don't agree.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 11:35 - Apr 5 with 2536 viewsWegerles_Stairs

How long does Ainsworth get? on 10:23 - Apr 5 by daveB

It's stopped working as we stopped selling players, Chair and Dieng should have been sold last summer, Dickie the year before but we hung on and they are all worth nothing now

I say that like it's easy of course the market for championship players dying on its arse played a big part as well

You've got to be brave to sell your best players as you need to be confident that you can replace them. Brentford did it regularly. However, if your model is literally developing players and then selling them, it's inexcusable not to sell them.

I think our poor recruitment strategy is responsible for a lot of our ills. If you're on top of that, then you know you can replace anyone. We've failed to recruit adequately in the central midfield and centre forward positions for several seasons - why? How can people be paid six-figure salaries and not be on top of this? To replace Barbet with someone like JCS defies belief - literally going from a player who plays whatever to a player who plays never. Then having to rely on the likes of Laird and Roberts who are 25% committed at best and have literally signed off in the middle of matches. Once again, it comes down to laziness and incompetence. Do some proper scouting and don't just rely on names you know from Premier League academies.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 11:46 - Apr 5 with 2504 viewsfrancisbowles

How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:57 - Apr 4 by joe90

The thing is survival isn't all that matters. If we don't sort out the root cause we'll end up back in the same place next season. We can't keep going like this.

Even if we win Friday we're still in trouble.
[Post edited 4 Apr 2023 16:04]

Yes we are still in trouble. However, better to be trying to sort the trouble out in the summer with Championship football and budget rather than league 1.

Relegation is unpredictable. Go down and we have no idea what the owners will do.
They may pull the plug. We could end up in administration. We are, on most counts, not an attractive proposition for anyone to pick up, even on the cheap. If we couldn't attract a new owner, we won't be able to start the season, we will be non league at best. We may be out of business and all the assets, including the ground may have to be sold.

We could lose the club!

If we stay up great, we reset, we go again. If we go down, I HOPE, we reset and go again but it will be from a weaker position at the very least.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 11:57 - Apr 5 with 2461 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

As ever, if not Ainsworth, then who?
How long does Ainsworth get? on 11:59 - Apr 5 with 2462 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

How long does Ainsworth get? on 11:35 - Apr 5 by Wegerles_Stairs

You've got to be brave to sell your best players as you need to be confident that you can replace them. Brentford did it regularly. However, if your model is literally developing players and then selling them, it's inexcusable not to sell them.

I think our poor recruitment strategy is responsible for a lot of our ills. If you're on top of that, then you know you can replace anyone. We've failed to recruit adequately in the central midfield and centre forward positions for several seasons - why? How can people be paid six-figure salaries and not be on top of this? To replace Barbet with someone like JCS defies belief - literally going from a player who plays whatever to a player who plays never. Then having to rely on the likes of Laird and Roberts who are 25% committed at best and have literally signed off in the middle of matches. Once again, it comes down to laziness and incompetence. Do some proper scouting and don't just rely on names you know from Premier League academies.

You forgot the most most unforgivable aspect of our recruitment policy: the lack of good quality fullbacks owned by the club.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 12:00 - Apr 5 with 2456 viewsNorthantsHoop

Totally agree our recruitment policy has been woeful. We need to find as previously described by another poster a more industrial/physical type team. Too many wasters and posers been our downfall for years.
Login to get fewer ads

How long does Ainsworth get? on 12:19 - Apr 5 with 2396 viewsTheChef

How long does Ainsworth get? on 05:04 - Apr 5 by BushRanger82

Yes, the style of football being played is rubbish.

But, these players we have now, would turn any style of play applied to them, to utter shite.

The manager isn't the problem.
The style of play isn't the problem.
The calibre of player we have, that's the problem.
The inept hierarchy at the club, that's the problem.

Ahhhh, thank you.

Precisely this.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

How long does Ainsworth get? on 12:23 - Apr 5 with 2380 viewsPhilmyRs

Ironically for me, where we could well be at the end of this season is where I could have envisaged Gareth Ainsworth stepping in and picking up the pieces and reigniting the passion in the fan base and assembling a team in his own mould, very much what Holloway did first time around. I worry that taking over a team that regardless of all the poor decisions that proceeded his arrival, should have been one that stayed up, will have significantly tarnished his reputation and then the job he was arguably perfect for, is not going to be so easy. He is making some poor calls though and I’d argue have cost us in games which because of who he is, are not being as criticised as they would if it was another Manager.

There’s still time for him to turn it around and keep us in the league and restore some belief among the fan base, but it’s going to demand all his skill and effort to achieve.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:20 - Apr 5 with 2203 viewsTheChef

Hmmm yes I don't think we had too much option to keep Barbet (based on not being able to offer the same wages) but by signing JCS we did sign the polar opposite of him!!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:30 - Apr 5 with 2130 viewsstainrods_elbow

How long does Ainsworth get? on 11:46 - Apr 5 by francisbowles

Yes we are still in trouble. However, better to be trying to sort the trouble out in the summer with Championship football and budget rather than league 1.

Relegation is unpredictable. Go down and we have no idea what the owners will do.
They may pull the plug. We could end up in administration. We are, on most counts, not an attractive proposition for anyone to pick up, even on the cheap. If we couldn't attract a new owner, we won't be able to start the season, we will be non league at best. We may be out of business and all the assets, including the ground may have to be sold.

We could lose the club!

If we stay up great, we reset, we go again. If we go down, I HOPE, we reset and go again but it will be from a weaker position at the very least.

Oh, please get a grip! How many clubs have been relegated from the Championship and gone out of buisness the next? The whole season is horrible and bloody concerning, but I still think we're more likely (just!) than not to stay up.

Poll: How many points will we manage from our first 5 games with this squad?

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:56 - Apr 5 with 2083 viewsRangersw12

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:20 - Apr 5 by TheChef

Hmmm yes I don't think we had too much option to keep Barbet (based on not being able to offer the same wages) but by signing JCS we did sign the polar opposite of him!!

I can't imagine Barbet wanted more than JCS
How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:19 - Apr 5 with 2041 viewsdaveB

Completely agree, when it comes to selling players you have to be brave and be prepared to be unpopular. We've never been very good at that as a club going back decades.

The whole model of develop players and sell on is sound and really is the only way any club even at the highest level can ensure they are not losing money every year, we've just got to do it a hell of a lot better especially signing players we get far too many wrong.

Whether it's a recruitment team doing it, a DOF or a manager I've no idea anymore and am not really fussed as long as whoever is responsible gets more right than wrong
How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:21 - Apr 5 with 2035 viewsdaveB

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:56 - Apr 5 by Rangersw12

I can't imagine Barbet wanted more than JCS

It was an age thing as well, do you give Barbet another 2 years or for the same money or sign a younger player you might be able to sell, there was logic behind that but it hasn't worked obviously
How long does Ainsworth get? on 15:41 - Apr 5 with 1995 viewsaston_hoop

In case people were not aware, Wycombe also have a recruitment analyst rather than just Ainsworth with a notebook of players he noticed in games. I suppose they have also had a long term style of play too which allows them to continually recruit the players they know Gareth will want. Yet again we're a mix of different players for different styles and when Gaz inevitably goes next season and we appoint a fancy foreign coach (I think thats the next iteration for us), we'll have another mess. Unfortunately I don't have much confidence in us doing anything other than accidentally fluking something occasionally now

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

How long does Ainsworth get? on 16:28 - Apr 5 with 1897 viewsPinnerPaul

How long does Ainsworth get? on 09:28 - Apr 4 by daveB

Even though the results were not good under Holloway we did see a change in mindset, real effort from the team and some small green shoots of recovery, likes of Andy Thompson, Marcus Bignot added something to build on. Sadly i'm not seeing any of that at the moment

Ainsworth came into a tough situation but not into a team in the bottom 3/4, we were 8 points clear of relegation when he came in.

if we go down I'd sack him
[Post edited 4 Apr 2023 9:29]

He's had 1 win in less games than Critchley had.

I urge you to re read this from Clive's report

"This appalling run of results did not start when these players got injured any more than it started because Mick Beale left, because Neil Critchley was a bad appointment, because Gareth has selected power drive over feather touch, or any of the other pet theories. This team has been losing for more than a year now. It was losing under Mark Warburton, it started its current losing run under Mick Beale, it was losing under Critchley and it’s losing under Ainsworth — if you keep sacking managers and nothing changes, the manager isn’t your problem. It was losing when Beale was the manager; when Laird, Balogun, Clarke-Salter and Paal were the back four; when Willock and Chair were playing (Birmingham A, West Brom H, Huddersfield H). QPR, Gareth Ainsworth, and us lot in the stand, desperately need this lot to come back fit, firing, motivated and committed to digging us out of an ever-deepening hole, but to assume that’s going to happen and rely on it is very risky indeed. It’s a substantial re-writing of this team’s recent history and behaviour. This team has lost 32 and won just 15 of its last 60 games, over more than a year, under four different managers. The 1978 Dutch World Cup squad is not waiting in the wings here gagging to put Coventry City to the sword."
How long does Ainsworth get? on 16:35 - Apr 5 with 1878 viewsdaveB

How long does Ainsworth get? on 16:28 - Apr 5 by PinnerPaul

He's had 1 win in less games than Critchley had.

I urge you to re read this from Clive's report

"This appalling run of results did not start when these players got injured any more than it started because Mick Beale left, because Neil Critchley was a bad appointment, because Gareth has selected power drive over feather touch, or any of the other pet theories. This team has been losing for more than a year now. It was losing under Mark Warburton, it started its current losing run under Mick Beale, it was losing under Critchley and it’s losing under Ainsworth — if you keep sacking managers and nothing changes, the manager isn’t your problem. It was losing when Beale was the manager; when Laird, Balogun, Clarke-Salter and Paal were the back four; when Willock and Chair were playing (Birmingham A, West Brom H, Huddersfield H). QPR, Gareth Ainsworth, and us lot in the stand, desperately need this lot to come back fit, firing, motivated and committed to digging us out of an ever-deepening hole, but to assume that’s going to happen and rely on it is very risky indeed. It’s a substantial re-writing of this team’s recent history and behaviour. This team has lost 32 and won just 15 of its last 60 games, over more than a year, under four different managers. The 1978 Dutch World Cup squad is not waiting in the wings here gagging to put Coventry City to the sword."

yeah I get all that but stand by it, if you take over a team 8 points clear of the drop, see 2 of the teams around you get points deductions and still get relegated I'm not sure how you stay in that job

I hope we get over the line and he stays for next season but if we don't and this car crash of a run continues how does anyone on the football side justify staying in their job
How long does Ainsworth get? on 16:47 - Apr 5 with 1860 viewsPinnerPaul

How long does Ainsworth get? on 16:35 - Apr 5 by daveB

yeah I get all that but stand by it, if you take over a team 8 points clear of the drop, see 2 of the teams around you get points deductions and still get relegated I'm not sure how you stay in that job

I hope we get over the line and he stays for next season but if we don't and this car crash of a run continues how does anyone on the football side justify staying in their job

Those who have been here all season but not GA.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 10:30 - Apr 6 with 1644 viewsfrancisbowles

How long does Ainsworth get? on 14:30 - Apr 5 by stainrods_elbow

Oh, please get a grip! How many clubs have been relegated from the Championship and gone out of buisness the next? The whole season is horrible and bloody concerning, but I still think we're more likely (just!) than not to stay up.

It almost happened last time we were relegated from the Championship. Rules around administration and points deductions, not being allowed to start the season etc were less stringent then too.

I've got a grip, thank you, but I was pointing out to those that think relegation wouldn't be so bad that we are much better off, resetting in the current division.
How long does Ainsworth get? on 17:47 - Apr 7 with 1416 viewsGloucs_R

I would stick with Ainsworth for next season regardless of us going down or not. He gave up a very secure job at Wycombe to come and try and get us out of the 💩. Give me loyalty and hard graft over what weve had every day of the week. PS, I think we're down and we'll stay down for a few years.

Poll: Are we staying up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024