Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric cars… 16:21 - Jul 26 with 12370 viewscolinallcars

Internal combustion cars due to be phased out by 2030.
I'm on the cusp of needing a new car - but I think it could be a calamity.
Lack of charging, electric bikes bursting into flames, a major fire on a car ferry off Holland possibly due to electric car fire.
I don't trust our govt. to successfully bring about this huge change.

Electric cars… on 13:00 - Jul 27 with 1627 viewsderbyhoop

The OH drives s Renault ZOE with a max range of 140kms. It's enough for her. Itdrives nicely and we charge at home.

Infrastructure is insufficient and unlikely to improve enough by 2030. ULEZ, inOuter London, should see the end of the 10% of cars affected. More needs to be done in terms of scrapping subsidies and alternative modes of transport. Or we can carry on adding to the numbers with respiratory problems!!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Electric cars… on 13:02 - Jul 27 with 1621 viewskensalriser

Electric cars… on 11:58 - Jul 27 by RamseyR

Not for me. The argument for is not yet strong enough. Follow the money...

[Post edited 27 Jul 2023 12:10]

Follow the money and you'll arrive at the fossil fuel industry.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Electric cars… on 14:12 - Jul 27 with 1526 viewsw7r

Electric cars… on 22:02 - Jul 26 by colinallcars

One good thing about phasing out petrol cars is we would be free from those silly popping exhausts that some people have fitted.
Do they really think that we think they have high performance engines ?
More like they just want to annoy as many people as poss.

Don't get me started in those c.nuts and their "pops & bangs".

If any of you see (or know) the driver of a Black Audi A3, LW16 BGY (you'll definately hear the c.nut) - I'm coming for you buddy, along with a few others. The inadequate equipped b£ll£nd is making peoples lives a misery in my area. It's only a matter of time.
Electric cars… on 14:14 - Jul 27 with 1523 viewsMancR

People really are getting themselves in a tizzy about this. You don't have to turn into Dan Wooton's about it.
The technical and infrastructure for electric cars will move at a pace between now and 2030.
But you will be able to still be able to buy a new petrol/ diesel car until the day before the new law comes in.
From my own and plenty others experience, these new cars bought could easily run for over 10 years, since when did cars become disposable items with people needing new ones every 5 mins?
So 10 years takes us to 2040( bloody hell, I don't want to even think about how old I will be then!)
Can you imagine how far the technology will have advanced by then in all areas of green renewables, batteries, charging points, car range etc.
It will be fine. For the sake of the planet it has to be
Electric cars… on 14:43 - Jul 27 with 1423 viewsRs_Holy

its a conspiracy I tell you....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-66323843

BBC, ITV, Imperial College, Attenborough.... all in on it!!!
[Post edited 27 Jul 2023 14:44]
Electric cars… on 15:12 - Jul 27 with 1362 viewsQPR_Jim

Electric cars… on 08:08 - Jul 27 by Lblock

Cars are cleaner than they’ve ever been - no problem if you want to go electric but there are plenty of low polluting cars

If Sadi Khunt and all the chest clutchers were serious about 4,000 Londoners dying due to car pollution a year then their stance is odd isn’t it?
Surely you would ban cars full stop that don’t comply?
Instead this bastard murderers in their deadly vehicles are simply given the option of paying £12.50 a day to kill people.
It’s bollox and if you can’t see the shift towards further charge and control then that’s your privilege and look out.

There’s a whole industry being fed by this lie and it’s the virtuous who are shouting loudest.
I do detect people are finally pushing back a bit and maybe questioning what we’re being fed by the MSM and those in control

We’ll see

The taxation approach to air pollution is in keeping with our stance on other potentially deadly activities. We are all still free to drink or smoke ourselves into an early grave, merely taxed for the pleasure, so I'm not sure why you'd expect them to take a harsher line with cars.

Pollution wise you can still use 100's of bags a year for your shopping if you want but you'll have to pay for it.

I'd be more inclined to query what the money is being spent on.
Electric cars… on 15:58 - Jul 27 with 1317 viewsqueensparker

I’ve worked in and around the car industry for the last few years.

If anyone’s got the money and space I’d start hoarding cheap reliable petrol runabouts with simple engines and the least electronic wizardry you can find, Toyota Aygos, Honda Jazzes etc.

In ten years they’re going to be what everyone wants, affordable and reliable and legal.
Electric cars… on 17:46 - Jul 27 with 1253 viewsdmm

World is entering ‘era of global boiling’, UN warns as July is the hottest month on record https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/july-hottest-month-emergency-w

Login to get fewer ads

Electric cars… on 18:46 - Jul 27 with 1185 viewsMelakaRanger

I’ve had 3 different EVs since 2015. So much negative utter tosh is spouted out as facts .

My 3EVs have been the best cars I have ever owned. Cheap as chips to run too.

My latest is a Hyundai Kona 64 which has a real world range of over 300 miles. To charge my car from empty would only cost around £4.50. Yes less than a Fiver to drive over 300 miles.

True, EVs are not for everyone yet and of course if you have no off street parking you would be relying on more expensive public charging, which can mean the cost of fuel for the car could cost you 6 times what it costs at home.

When you think the average UK motorist does less than 8000 miles per year , so around 150 miles per week the often spouted “range anxiety” issue is actually a non issue for 95% of drivers

Why not go an have a test drive of a few EVs?
Electric cars… on 19:48 - Jul 27 with 1125 viewskitkev

have an EV, had it two years no problems chargers everywhere been up north and back, recharged once

charge at home off peak costs me £2.28p for 90 miles.

would not go back to petrol.
Electric cars… on 19:52 - Jul 27 with 1123 viewsSonofpugwash

Electric cars… on 17:46 - Jul 27 by dmm

World is entering ‘era of global boiling’, UN warns as July is the hottest month on record https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/july-hottest-month-emergency-w

No mention of arson then?Local firefighters in Rhodes know what it's all about.
"scientists say".Yeah right.
My nephew works for the UN currently in Kosovo,no panic from him.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

Electric cars… on 20:22 - Jul 27 with 1093 viewscolinallcars

Well, I've made up my mind to get a hybrid.
2 cylinders petrol
2 cylinders diesel
Electric cars… on 20:36 - Jul 27 with 1079 viewsChrisNW6

Electric cars… on 14:12 - Jul 27 by w7r

Don't get me started in those c.nuts and their "pops & bangs".

If any of you see (or know) the driver of a Black Audi A3, LW16 BGY (you'll definately hear the c.nut) - I'm coming for you buddy, along with a few others. The inadequate equipped b£ll£nd is making peoples lives a misery in my area. It's only a matter of time.

Some C. nut opposite me goes to work @ 5:30am every morning on superbike which rattles the double glazing. He is old skool, so he would let it warmup for 45secs as he got ready putting his helmet and gloves on. I left a few friendly notes and I've got him down to less than 10seconds of engine noise..... Rant over.... I wonder what his favourite cheese is 🧀
Electric cars… on 20:36 - Jul 27 with 1077 viewsLblock

Electric cars… on 09:40 - Jul 27 by R_from_afar

"How else do you account for the climate shift back then which meant that Middlesbrough and Doncaster were used by the Romans as vineyards??????"

You have to remember that this is all about *global* temperatures. What was happening in England at a certain period of time does not necessarily reflect the global picture.

Serious questions

Why didn’t we all shrivel up and die just after the Industrial Revolution?

Post Chernobyl (probably the second biggest global pollutant after Hiroshima) there was talk of acid rain and collapse of the worlds climate. There was undoubtedly damage but the world didn’t end up grinding to a halt. Why was that?

Electric cars are a lovely idea but please let’s not accept that forcing this on everyone is the answer

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Electric cars… on 20:41 - Jul 27 with 1071 viewsdmm

Electric cars… on 19:52 - Jul 27 by Sonofpugwash

No mention of arson then?Local firefighters in Rhodes know what it's all about.
"scientists say".Yeah right.
My nephew works for the UN currently in Kosovo,no panic from him.

Do the firefighters in Turkey, Algeria, Canada, and Spain 'know what it's all about' too? I never knew you had to be a climate change denier to fight a wildfire.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
Electric cars… on 21:18 - Jul 27 with 1023 viewsBoston

My commercial vehicles have been getting lighter and lighter every year. I used to own battleships, touch me on the highway and you'd likely be in trouble, never forget the Mercedes that rear ended me one sunny afternoon - merc was a write off, I had a scratch on the steel bumper. The point, the weight of our trucks were destroying the roads, bridges, pavements, everything our wheels touched, but apparently these EV's are necessary, suddenly it's ok to drive a heavy truck again.
I have a drinking buddy, Captain in the Boston Fire Dept, he's banned EV's from a number of car parks, too dangerous, can't extinguish the fire, danger to life and property.
We saw two firefighters die in Newark NJ a couple of weeks ago. Fighting a blaze in a car carrier, yes you guessed it. They've sunk a transatlantic cargo ship and I believe the crew of a vessel carrying new cars were forced to abandon ship off the coast of Holland today, unable to contain an 'inferno'. He tells me the NY Fire Chief has also started banning EV's from multi storey car parks in the city, citing inability to control fires and the structural damage their weight is causing.
There's a lot of work to be done.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Electric cars… on 21:23 - Jul 27 with 1013 viewsLblock

Electric cars… on 21:18 - Jul 27 by Boston

My commercial vehicles have been getting lighter and lighter every year. I used to own battleships, touch me on the highway and you'd likely be in trouble, never forget the Mercedes that rear ended me one sunny afternoon - merc was a write off, I had a scratch on the steel bumper. The point, the weight of our trucks were destroying the roads, bridges, pavements, everything our wheels touched, but apparently these EV's are necessary, suddenly it's ok to drive a heavy truck again.
I have a drinking buddy, Captain in the Boston Fire Dept, he's banned EV's from a number of car parks, too dangerous, can't extinguish the fire, danger to life and property.
We saw two firefighters die in Newark NJ a couple of weeks ago. Fighting a blaze in a car carrier, yes you guessed it. They've sunk a transatlantic cargo ship and I believe the crew of a vessel carrying new cars were forced to abandon ship off the coast of Holland today, unable to contain an 'inferno'. He tells me the NY Fire Chief has also started banning EV's from multi storey car parks in the city, citing inability to control fires and the structural damage their weight is causing.
There's a lot of work to be done.

There is a lot of woke to be done

But "we'll get there"

Electric cars… on 22:04 - Jul 27 with 958 viewsloftupper

Electric cars… on 21:23 - Jul 27 by Lblock

There is a lot of woke to be done

But "we'll get there"

Good to see the culture warriors are out in force defending the interests of the fossil fuel industry!

It all counts :)
Electric cars… on 22:10 - Jul 27 with 937 viewsCateLeBonR

A couple of other dates for the calendar. September 2023 Fluorescent Tubes banned. To be replaced by something. Not sure what or by who.

Analog landline to be switched off end of 2025 apparently.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2023 22:11]
Electric cars… on 22:16 - Jul 27 with 925 viewsLblock

Good to see the woke warriors are out in force defending the interests of the lithium industry

You see how it cuts both ways?

Subtle difference is I’m saying “you want an EV - fill your boots”
What I’m hearing back is you HAVE to have one, that charging you £12.50 a day if you don’t have one will become acceptable, that ULEZ surveillance is good and other such nonsense

Electric cars… on 22:19 - Jul 27 with 922 viewsloftupper

Electric cars… on 22:16 - Jul 27 by Lblock

Good to see the woke warriors are out in force defending the interests of the lithium industry

What I’m hearing back is you HAVE to have one, that charging you £12.50 a day if you don’t have one will become acceptable, that ULEZ surveillance is good and other such nonsense

Not sure there is anything subtle about your approach but hey.

It could be argued that its just easier for you to do nothing and deny everything.
Electric cars… on 23:41 - Jul 27 with 848 viewshubble

Electric cars… on 20:36 - Jul 27 by ChrisNW6

Some C. nut opposite me goes to work @ 5:30am every morning on superbike which rattles the double glazing. He is old skool, so he would let it warmup for 45secs as he got ready putting his helmet and gloves on. I left a few friendly notes and I've got him down to less than 10seconds of engine noise..... Rant over.... I wonder what his favourite cheese is 🧀

So that's where he lives. He's been turning up at 6am in W9 for years, where he's caretaker at a school - or used to be - it's stopped recently. It's gotta be him! Always lets it idle for a good 60 secs before he switches it off, and when he starts it up, gives it a good few minutes, with plenty of blips on the throttle for good effect. I actually went out onto the street one early summer's eve last year and confronted him after he'd had it running and blipping for a good 10 minutes. He didn't take it well. Not a pleasant chap. No baffles in the exhaust. C.nut!!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Electric cars… on 23:47 - Jul 27 with 836 viewsChrisNW6

Electric cars… on 22:16 - Jul 27 by Lblock

Not that simple, I have diesel in the Ulez zone and pay slightly more for my parking permit and tax. If the plan is to get old polluting cars of the road then I'm in aggrement. I have seen first hand the difference in pollution riding my scooter into the city each day. I used to have to wipe my face clean of black smudge before work and during lock down the air improvement was amazing.

They should give people more time to change from old smoke guzzlers but it needs to happen. I own a diesel and don't feel I've been impacted. Every time I see some old taxi/car/van/lorry belching smoke, I think it's wrong and should be taken off the road.
Electric cars… on 01:30 - Jul 28 with 792 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Electric cars… on 07:39 - Jul 27 by QPR_Jim

I don't see how your stance that it's not ok to pollute the land or sea sits side by side with anti-ULEZ and anti-electric cars. It seems like you're saying it's not ok to pollute the land and sea but it's fine to pollute the air.

I assume that there's no argument that the emissions from standard cars are unhealthy after all I doubt anyone's looking at an exhaust pipe and thinking I'll stick my head down there and breath that in for a couple of hours. I think there's substantial evidence to back up air pollution being bad and mapping showing concentrations of particulats around busy roads.

The main objection appears to be that there's a cost to polluting under ulez which people don't like but it's perfectly acceptable to use cost as a justification for getting a car that emits more pollution. So if cost is a reason not to have a certain car then absolutely cost should be a viable tool to discourage emissions.

If you had excess household waste to get rid of you'd either spend the time to do it yourself or pay someone licensed to dispose of it properly, not go for the cheapest price which is likely to be someone who's going to fly tip it down the nearest country lane. Cost is a factor in these decisions too, so I can't see the difference myself.

I think it's possible to be pro-clean air and anti-ULEZ at the same time. For me, ULEZ is a money grab. If the GLA were serious about cleaning London's air they'd simply ban non-complying cars from entering. What they're actually saying is you can enter London and pollute it to your heart's content provided that you're prepared to pay for the pleasure.

I remember some years ago Greenpeace conducted a study on pollution. They found that the biggest cause of pollution after industry is homes. Cars were actually way down the list. They recommended that governments introduce nationwide loft insulation schemes with grants made available for those on low incomes. This would have a far greater impact on improving our environment however the government/councils weren't interested because this would entail them spending money. They're only interested in policies that generate revenue.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 1:58]
Electric cars… on 06:18 - Jul 28 with 743 viewsJamesB1979

We’ve got a relatively small electric car but have no worries about charging spots. If you charge over night in normal electric socket, you get over 100 miles. Range on the car is 170 mile on a full charge.

The downside is the charge goes down much quicker in winter with the heating on. I’d say you get 2/3 of the normal mileage. But again I think that gives you more than enough to do days driving without having to find charging spot. I’ve always seen these as more for emergencies.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024