Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Skylarks 15:47 - May 9 with 15172 viewsMaggsinho

Looks like Save Warren Farm haven't given up. Skylarks have supposedly found on Warren Farm. Would mean delaying work until August.

http://www.ealingtoday.co.uk/default.asp?section=info&page=eawarrenfarmskylarks0
Skylarks on 13:00 - May 10 with 4971 viewsWokingR

Took a few mates for a walk there last night and the problem seems to have gone away
Skylarks on 21:14 - May 10 with 4765 viewsDannyPaddox

Skylarks on 16:02 - May 9 by Dorse

Skylarks.

Sky-fcuking-larks?

What, the Patagonian Fire Newts, Mongolian Tit-Peckers and Acton Scrunge Worm colonies weren't enough?

Acton Scrunge Worm Tequila Blues is just one of the many songs long time Rs fan and friend of the The Shepherd & The Flock PL Smith will be playing at the Hanwell Hootie tomorrow night.

I wonder if he'd cover this ...

[Post edited 10 May 2019 22:40]
Skylarks on 21:27 - May 10 with 4743 viewsqprxtc

I’m just going to leave this here.... like a lovely little present from your cat in your slippers:

Skylarks on 22:10 - May 10 with 4709 viewsCiderwithRsie

Skylarks on 12:52 - May 10 by R_from_afar

That thought had also struck me and I was just looking for a link about skylarks' nesting habits to make exactly that point. Nice one!

We might like to make the point to the protesters that they should not be (and should not *have* been) walking dogs on a lead or otherwise near those putative nest sites between April and early August.

I am a bit of a twitcher and skylarks really are pretty rare so I would be surprised if there really are any there. They really are a farmland bird and like silage and cereal fields, or a big area of undisturbed grassland. I can't recall having ever seen or heard any in places where there is a lot of human activity. That probably means there is a pair nesting in our trophy cabinet!

Any Ealing based twitchers here who'd like to go and see if this is actually a load of grollox? Skylarks are very easy to identify (mellifluous song delivered from quite high up in the air).

We've done owls, now it's skylarks. What next? Otters? Dodos?

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/skylark/nest

As it happens there are loads of 'em near me, I nearly walk into them on a regular basis. As you say, they like rough grassland so

(a) I'd be bit surprised if there were any on Warren Farm, somewhere like Horsenden Hill would be more likely
(b) if there are any it makes me wonder a tad about the maintenance of what's supposed to be a set of public sports pitches

As you say, thye're not shy and easily detected either through their song or habit of shooting vertically up in the air, it seems a bit odd they've only just bee found.
Skylarks on 22:37 - May 10 with 4661 viewsBoston

Skylarks on 19:46 - May 9 by NorthLondonR

Open a sanctuary or menagerie and play a bit of Horace Andy. Sorted

Spot on squire, avoid cutting a few feet of grass and in six week you have a butterfly conservatory.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Skylarks on 12:45 - May 13 with 4477 viewsPommyhoop

I've often wondered if the 'Farm' has changed much since I left Blighty's shores...
I took this picture of the quaint village of Southall from the changing room block at the 'Farm' in the Summer of 2006

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Skylarks on 13:48 - May 13 with 4327 viewsNW5Hoop

If there are skylarks there, it would be unusual. In a discussion on the Warren Farm Google Groups, one birdwatcher expresses surprise at sightings there. However, as I understand it, Warren Farm is sufficiently underused that it is possible for ground nesting birds to thrive there, and there have been reported sightings for some years (some backed by photo and video evidence).

As to the point about numbers of them … Red status is not an assessment of the numbers of them, it's about the population trend. Red status means a bird has lost more than 50% of its population over the last 25 years, along with a 50% reduction in its range. It's also under threat globally.

Now, if there are skylarks there, then they deserve protection. Sorry. But given what we are doing the world, we can't justify destroying a breeding site to build a football training ground.

Of course, there may very well not be nesting sites there. I suspect that once the relevant authorities get involved they will be fairly clear eyed about it: even bird protection people get very fed up of people opposed to development claiming rare species as an excuse, if there is no real proof of the birds. (I know this because I'm working on a big piece about another species of threatened bird at the moment.)
[Post edited 13 May 2019 14:31]
Skylarks on 14:07 - May 13 with 4269 viewsToast_R

This story has wings
Login to get fewer ads

Skylarks on 15:04 - May 13 with 4168 viewsTonto

so if there are ground nesting birds here, I assume we should fence it off from dogs and dog walkers immediately?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Skylarks on 15:08 - May 13 with 4158 viewsMick_S

Skylarks on 14:07 - May 13 by Toast_R

This story has wings

If they found flamingos there I'd put my foot down.

I'll get my binoculars.
[Post edited 13 May 2019 15:18]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Skylarks on 08:26 - May 14 with 3985 viewskingo

Skylarks on 15:04 - May 13 by Tonto

so if there are ground nesting birds here, I assume we should fence it off from dogs and dog walkers immediately?

No, these are very rare lesser spotted Skylarks, that are only disturbed by anything QPR related but will thrive when being disturbed and chased by BFC dog walkers and their hounds.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Skylarks on 08:30 - May 14 with 3978 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Well at least there are no Golfers.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Skylarks on 08:57 - May 14 with 3929 viewsTonto

Skylarks on 08:26 - May 14 by kingo

No, these are very rare lesser spotted Skylarks, that are only disturbed by anything QPR related but will thrive when being disturbed and chased by BFC dog walkers and their hounds.

aaaahhh - that explains it.

perhaps we could change our kit from hoops to spots next year, and fit in?

training regimes could include lots of arm flapping?

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Skylarks on 09:08 - May 14 with 3910 viewskingo

Skylarks on 08:57 - May 14 by Tonto

aaaahhh - that explains it.

perhaps we could change our kit from hoops to spots next year, and fit in?

training regimes could include lots of arm flapping?

Indeed and set up Swoop as our sponsors

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

Skylarks on 11:08 - May 14 with 3798 viewsDorse

Latest news says that the Skylarks are only there because they are waiting for a council nest. A spokesman for the Skylarks laid out the problems they face in a tweet earlier.

I shall now retrieve my coat and flounce off.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Skylarks on 12:31 - May 14 with 3726 viewsQPR_Jim

Skylarks on 13:48 - May 13 by NW5Hoop

If there are skylarks there, it would be unusual. In a discussion on the Warren Farm Google Groups, one birdwatcher expresses surprise at sightings there. However, as I understand it, Warren Farm is sufficiently underused that it is possible for ground nesting birds to thrive there, and there have been reported sightings for some years (some backed by photo and video evidence).

As to the point about numbers of them … Red status is not an assessment of the numbers of them, it's about the population trend. Red status means a bird has lost more than 50% of its population over the last 25 years, along with a 50% reduction in its range. It's also under threat globally.

Now, if there are skylarks there, then they deserve protection. Sorry. But given what we are doing the world, we can't justify destroying a breeding site to build a football training ground.

Of course, there may very well not be nesting sites there. I suspect that once the relevant authorities get involved they will be fairly clear eyed about it: even bird protection people get very fed up of people opposed to development claiming rare species as an excuse, if there is no real proof of the birds. (I know this because I'm working on a big piece about another species of threatened bird at the moment.)
[Post edited 13 May 2019 14:31]

If it is true then I think it would be an easy win for the club to delay the development a few months to allow them to nest and could even incorporate a green/living roof into the new building to provide a protected area for skylarks to nest in future years.
Skylarks on 12:49 - May 14 with 3686 viewsFDC

Skylarks on 12:31 - May 14 by QPR_Jim

If it is true then I think it would be an easy win for the club to delay the development a few months to allow them to nest and could even incorporate a green/living roof into the new building to provide a protected area for skylarks to nest in future years.

Let's also drop 'Superhoops' for 'Skylarks'. It's time Jude took a break anyway.
Skylarks on 22:18 - May 14 with 3526 viewsnina30

Mongolian Tit-Peckers and Acton Scrunge Worm colonies weren't enough https://sarkariresult.onl/ https://pnrstatus.vip/ https://192168ll.onl/
[Post edited 18 May 2019 20:54]
Skylarks on 00:38 - May 15 with 3456 viewsDannyPaddox

Pulled pork is like so last year ...

Skylarks on 07:49 - May 15 with 3388 viewsDorse

Skylarks on 00:38 - May 15 by DannyPaddox

Pulled pork is like so last year ...

Pulled Pork: somewhere Graham Norton has fallen into a double-entendre induced coma.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Skylarks on 06:17 - Jul 25 with 2984 viewsLblock

‘Ere, Tone..... ahs it gahin mate?

Nearly August innit. What ‘scuse we gonna fink of next to stop us crackin on wiv work on dah Farm?

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

My hat has melted in this exceptionally clement weather, I’m on a bit of a diet, so you’ll forgive me for no longer expecting to eat my old tit’fer on this one.
It’s oh so quiet.....

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Skylarks on 07:20 - Jul 25 with 2873 viewsDejR_vu

Skylarks on 06:17 - Jul 25 by Lblock

‘Ere, Tone..... ahs it gahin mate?

Nearly August innit. What ‘scuse we gonna fink of next to stop us crackin on wiv work on dah Farm?

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

My hat has melted in this exceptionally clement weather, I’m on a bit of a diet, so you’ll forgive me for no longer expecting to eat my old tit’fer on this one.
It’s oh so quiet.....

There was also talk of the club paying for it by borrowing from the supporters through a Bond issue. That doesn’t happen overnight but it’s been as quiet as the grave on that front as well. Who knows, perhaps it’s all ready to go and paid for!

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Skylarks on 07:39 - Jul 25 with 2850 viewsLoftgirl

Skylarks on 13:00 - May 10 by WokingR

Took a few mates for a walk there last night and the problem seems to have gone away

Just put on a Percy Edwards CD when the council come round.
Skylarks on 19:29 - Jul 25 with 2664 viewsDiggertheMole

Skylarks on 07:39 - Jul 25 by Loftgirl

Just put on a Percy Edwards CD when the council come round.

Calibre of weapons used here far too large - suggest .177 or .22 air rifles and a black plastic sack. For the skylarks, however, catapults and stones will suffice.
Skylarks on 03:05 - Jul 26 with 2473 viewstimcocking

Skylarks on 16:53 - May 9 by Northernr

Of course. The whole thing has been about delay delay delay until hopefully QPR pull the plug. That's been the tactic. Like you say, come August, it'll be a water vole or some such sht.

Was speaking to somebody at the club a couple of weeks back about that letter that went round and an official start date and they said the reason they were being cagey and cautious about when exactly they were starting (though it is soon) is because they're aware supporters are fed up with all this "jam tomorrow" stuff and are now at the "believe it when we see it" stage.

They also said the club and the council were very keen to be doing everything to the absolute letter - both legal process and council processes - so that nobody can turn round and point out some technicality that then reopens the possibility of another legal challenge. Because then, of course, whether they win the legal challenge or not, it'll just get appealed, appealed, appealed, delayed, delayed, delayed again. So if this skylarks thing is indeed a thing, we've just got to go with it. Worse thing we can do is leave ourselves open to a fresh challenge of any sort.

This is all a large part of the reason our country is literally turning into a giant pile of sh!t.

Kill all solicitors.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024